Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Have Less Roster Turnover Than Any Team Since 2011

DMVRG3

DMVRG3 free agency is not over - they can sign free agents as long as they wish to. And after the first round of pre-camp cuts are made for cap reasons there may be players the skins pick up there. You never know

Tom

Well considering free agency is over and the people getting cut from now on likely aren't starters...

WHat's starters have to do with the roster?  Jose Gumbs just got cut.  I suspect Santana Moss gets cut.  I expect some changes nobody does.

Now back to my point.

I don't think Moss will be cut. I think he can still be a mentor to a guy like Desean Jackson who is the same type of WR(relying on speed rather than size). Moss doesn't have the speed he once did and now relies on his great route running ability to stick around. This would be someone Moss can learn from.

I don't think Moss will be cut. I think he can still be a mentor to a guy like Desean Jackson who is the same type of WR(relying on speed rather than size). Moss doesn't have the speed he once did and now relies on his great route running ability to stick around. This would be someone Moss can learn from.

Moss won't make the roster.  Bookmark this post.

Well considering free agency is over and the people getting cut from now on likely aren't starters...

There are always surprise cuts including a few "name" guys. For example, a guy like Helu is reportedly far from safe

Also, the article seems to read as though we have low roster turnover because we were unable to get better guys...which is partly true

The only reason there isn't much turnover yet is that the players who are going to be replaced haven't been cut yet.  

Check back on September 3rd or so, you're going to see 20-25 new players on this team.  And maybe as many as 10 new starters, if you consider WR3 and Nickle CB as starters...

Well considering Gruden hasn't finalized the roster....

The roster isn't finalized for all the teams though....

Off topic

RE:Moss

If Moss gets cut I brt the Browns will have a car waiting in Ashburn to pick him up.

Heck we could probably trade him for a 6th-7th rounder.

You guys, the article isn't about who they suspect will still be on the roster from the 2011 season...it's who IS still on the roster, right now. Besides, every team at or near the top of this list still needs to finalize their roster, not just the Redskins.

If this list had been made between 2008 and 2011, we would have been near the bottom.

I think that makes sense.  Allen, I think, believes that 2012 was more real than 2013.  The talent we had, especially on offense, was good.  Clearly, they believe the offensive line needed help and that we needed a bit more punch at wide receiver.  I think Moss is a coin flip.  The one reason he will not make it would be as a mentor to Desean.  How many six year vets need or can benefit from a mentor?

What receivers do you see us with, going into the first game ?

Who I think:

Garçon

Jackson

Roberts

Robinson

Grant

Who I wish

Garçon

Jackson

Roberts

Grant

Hoffman

I think hankerson will be on pup/IR.

I'd rather the young guys get experience than continue to deal with Robinson et al dropping critical balls at critical times

Moss won't make the roster.  Bookmark this post.

Fan favorite aside, great leader possibly, I gotta agree. He has no future here if the talent around him is healthy enough, he is as good as gone. Injuries would be the only reason I could even seeing him taking the sixth slot. We have two promising picks, three starters and who knows which of Robinson or Hankerson that Gruden would prefer. And don't forget Nick Williams is still listed. 

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/WAS

Pos

No Player 1 No Player 2 No Player 3 No Player 4 No Player 5 Offense LWR 88 Garcon, Pierre U/Ind 11 Robinson, Aldrick 11/6 14 Grant, Ryan 14/4 13 Williams, Nick CF13 18 Doss, Lee CF14 RWR 11 Jackson, DeSean SF14 12 Roberts, Andre U/Arz 89 MOSS, SANTANA 01/1 85 Hankerson, Leonard 11/3 87 Hoffman, Cody CF14 WR             17 Lawrence, Rashad CF14 19 Hughes, Kofi CF14

I kind of agree on Moss. But it will be interesting to see how this pans out . I think they are really viewing this as a transition/building year so I think they go youth over experience. The other thing about Allen is the way he structures contracts is different to how the Redskins have opperated under Vinny/Shaffer. There is more money typically up front and it seems Allen likes to squeeze the most out of players to avoid dead cap space (hense the plethera of 1 year deals and voidable contracts) so while I do not think we are done cutting players I do think we are being more fiscally responsible.

Moss I love him and he is due a good season but I think without the speed Moss will have to show he has better hands than Roberts and Grant and from what has been said about Grant I think he has a decent chance of making the 53.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340908/printable/which-teams-have-had-the-most-nfl-roster-turnover

Who would have thought...

Looks like Gruden didn't feel the need to tear this roster down. Couple of big additions plus a healthy Griffin should suffice

We haven't gone through camp yet.

We haven't gone through camp yet.

And, for the record, I think the lack of roster turnover is more damning than it is a good thing. And a big reason is due to the cap penalty that was imposed.

Its quite possible other teams viewed the Redskins as a group of over-paid under-performing players, which frankly in many cases they were, considering their salary vs their output.

Now, teams have gotten over the belly laughing and have started paying attention to whats going on here. Like him or hate him, I will say that Mike Shanahan was a big part of changing the overall culture of the team and how others viewed us.

With that said, Moss gave us some great memories, and may still have a little left in the tank, maybe on 3rd down or 4 rec. sets, but if not he would be a good assistant coach, because we have learned that some current receivers on the team have frankly just not panned out, I don't want to mention any names, i'd rather be discreet about it...Hankerson ! :P

The roster turnover (or lack of it) is an interesting point, but its what we've been knowing all offseason. I mean, we only really got rid of our punter, our SS, our nickel CB, our C, a WR, and a TE, and had an ILB retire. People were complaining about the number of people we're bringing back from last year because we were a 3-13 team.

There are always surprise cuts including a few "name" guys. For example, a guy like Helu is reportedly far from safe

Also, the article seems to read as though we have low roster turnover because we were unable to get better guys...which is partly true

Where'd you hear that Helu is far from safe?

Archived