Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Have Less Roster Turnover Than Any Team Since 2011

DMVRG3

You know Moss can return punts, right?  Considering how much we are lacking in returners on this roster, it could very well be a selling point for him.

Technically anybody can return punts, but does he do it well?  Santana is turning 35 in a month.  In the history of the NFL, there have been no even decent punt returners that are 35 or older.

Santana returned 18 punts last year, for an average of 7.22.  If he was our dedicated punt returner in 2013, and averaged that for the whole year, we'd be 26th in the league.  In 2012, that average would be bad enough for 30th in the league.

He'll be a year older, how much do you expect him to improve as he ages?

If this was 2007, I'd have your back on this one, but Moss is a shell of his former self as a returner. We can just as easily get a young guy back there and let Moss go.

Apparently not that easy, considering the revolving door at that position the past few years. When you look at the roster, there isn't an obvious answer to that position.  Yes, Moss is hardly ideal there, but neither is anyone else right now.

I don't see Hankerson being cut. He has shown enough flashes to be kept around. What i see happening is Hank getting places on inj reserved for the first 6 weeks. This way he has time to fully recover and Skins don't have to make a decision on him until later. If we have a serrious inj to one of our Wrs in the mean time, he can come in and contribute while knowing the offence.

Garcon

Jackson

Roberts

Grant

Moss

Hoffman

Would like to see this list. Sign Moss as an insurance in case someone gets injured. He's far more reliable plus experienced than Hank or Robinson. I don't think those two will make the cut imo. Remember this is a what have you done for me lately league, and both haven't impressed in all honesty, whether some may agree or disagree. Grant is moving fast in the ranks considering his hands and overall play. Just by hearing how excited Gruden is about him, I think he may actually have a few starts if he continues to impress. Reminds me of Morris working his way up. Let's hope the same thing happens. If Hoffman stands out special teams wise, he'll get a starting position. Him lacking speed hurts him. That boy better run some track or something.lol

Great post, MartinC.

I'd say keeping 6 receivers is a must for Gruden's offense, so it's a pretty safe bet. The 3 "open" roster spots will, in my opinion, include at least one "big" Red Zone target -- that's one reason I think Hoffman has an outside shot at making the 53 -- and as Martin said, a premium will be placed on Special Teams play.

We have 3 top receivers who are capable at x, z, or slot. This makes me feel that Moss is slightly more valuable as he's more "pluggable" into any of those 3 positions; Hankerson's poor hands at times also hurt his chances. I like Hank, but if you were to force me to pick EITHER he or Tana, I'd be forced to go with the senior statesman.

That said, I wouldn't want to be either of those two gentlemen when it comes time for the final cuts. I'd be pulling a Rick Vaughn in front of the locker.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hank shows flashes of being a good player, but all I remember is him dropping passes like hot hands from the Little Giants.lol Sorry

Technically anybody can return punts, but does he do it well?  Santana is turning 35 in a month.  In the history of the NFL, there have been no even decent punt returners that are 35 or older.

Santana returned 18 punts last year, for an average of 7.22.  If he was our dedicated punt returner in 2013, and averaged that for the whole year, we'd be 26th in the league.  In 2012, that average would be bad enough for 30th in the league.

He'll be a year older, how much do you expect him to improve as he ages?

Not to mention he`s developed a penchant for putting the ball on the ground.... as a receiver and punt returner.

I love Moss... but that ship has sailed. It`s time to move on... as the best franchises do with players.

I hope that Moss shows a resurgence, emerges as the Sanana of 5-7 years ago, and he compliments our team.

I'm not sure how realistic that hope is. And if it doesn;t come to fruition, he's probably gone, as sad as that is to say.

Personally, I'd rather have the best receivers rather than keep a young guy for the sake of keeping a young guy.  If Moss is better than Hank or Robinson, I'd rather have him.  At this point in their careers, both of those guys should be beating him out.  If they aren't, they probably aren't worth keeping around.

As do most Redskins fans.  Let's not develop players.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hank shows flashes of being a good player, but all I remember is him dropping passes like hot hands from the Little Giants.lol Sorry

I try and stay out of the LH talk but please check the records guys, LH had less drops then Moss last year. I hope they put him on the PUP to start the season and bring him up mid season. Keep Aldrick on the active and see what they can do there. By the time the PUP ends release one of them Moss, Aldrick, or LH. Considering his size of hands and body I think the keep LH and release Moss or trade him. Aldrick is all or nothing now, put up or go. He has done much less then LH has and this is SM last stand. Father time always wins

Interesting of note to me is the last two years the Bengals kept 7 receivers on the active 53

Apparently not that easy, considering the revolving door at that position the past few years. When you look at the roster, there isn't an obvious answer to that position.  Yes, Moss is hardly ideal there, but neither is anyone else right now.

True, but Moss was a part of said revolving door. Our best guys there have been Rock Cartwright and Brandon Banks.

And, for the record, I think the lack of roster turnover is more damning than it is a good thing. And a big reason is due to the cap penalty that was imposed.

Totally agree that the cap penalty was the reason!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340908/printable/which-teams-have-had-the-most-nfl-roster-turnover

Who would have thought...

Looks like Gruden didn't feel the need to tear this roster down. Couple of big additions plus a healthy Griffin should suffice

Lack of turnover means nothing. Take last year. We rated best in the nfl and what did it get us?

Most of the people that want Moss around next year want him because of the good veteran presence he would provide to the younger players, but Moss has enough institutional and skins fans community weight to be a good candidate to transition to the other side of the clipboard.    See how he works as a coach.   He'll still have the "street cred" and connection with the players, see if he bring the other aspects of a good coach into his quiver 

Archived