Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Managing blood pressure

Captain James

So, it feels really awkward to start a thread about blood pressure... being only 28 years old. Every once in a while I go through phases where my blood pressure (specifically the systolic number) is higher than it needs to be. I consider myself pretty active as I workout (weights & casual sports) at least 5x a week. I try to eat right and only eat sweets like once a week as a reward. It's possible that sodium could be a culprit. I'm 6'2" 218lbs. I have some muscle to me but would ideally like to get down to 205-210lbs. Aside from the possible sodium intake, some minor anxiety could be the cause as well. My (online) grad school semester just started and the workload has me a bit overwhelmed.

I've been reading recently that even younger males should be concerned about their blood pressure and take steps to improving it instead of waiting until their older. What are some things you all do that you've found to work and produce definite results? All suggestions/opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Gonna be honest with you. Every person that says they "try" and watch what they eat usually aren't. If you thinking eating prepackaged "healthy" foods (if you are) is "healthy" you are kidding yourself. They are loaded with sodium and other preservatives.

Eat whole foods more often with some healthy fats, continue exercising, drink more water and don't "drink" your calories. I drink two things, coffee and water. Good luck.

1 serious heart attack, dbl bypass and 5 stents talking...

Sodium is prob your number 1 issue. Restaurant & & fast food use a ton. And there is more in most processed foods than you think. For example I got a package of mac&cheese without looking at the label until I got home.... 850 MG of sodium per serving. That's just a side dish. 

But by all means, talk to your DR.

Sodium Overload Foods

Anyone is your family have high blood pressure? If so, you're probably toast on managing it without meds (realistically).

The best thing you can do is talk to your doc.

yep

cinnamon supposedly helps though,and avoid ibuprofen products(which spikes mine)

I'm not sodium sensitive

I have always had borderline high pressure. Salt will elevate it short-term for sure. Keep it at a minimum. Avoid caffeine too I've heard, constrict the blood vessels. I agree with the whole foods thing. Eat lots of green stuff like spinach.

I have always had borderline high pressure. Salt will elevate it short-term for sure. Keep it at a minimum. Avoid caffeine too I've heard, constrict the blood vessels. I agree with the whole foods thing. Eat lots of green stuff like spinach.

I refuse to give up my coffee. I drink dark roast only. Less caffeine. Who would've though that?

Thanks folks. Yeah by "healthy" i truly mean i attempt to only eat lean meats, veggies, fruits, lots of water, etc. I try to limit the processed items that are purchased from the grocery store and I hardly ever eat at a restaurant unless it's a special occasion or something. I don't eat a ton of carbs either. There are some special wraps I get instead of bread that have a ton of fiber and protein. My caffeine is limited to maybe just 1-2 cups a day. I really only drink water, coffee, or home-brewed iced tea. You all may think you didn't tell me anything "new" but it's all encouraging nonetheless. As for family history, i do believe my mom has to carefully manage her BP. i think her father also had some heart issues later in his life too. I'll just have to be really conscious of things i suppose. 

I'm about to turn 32 on Monday. I've been on a low dose blood pressure medicine (lisinopril 10mg) since I was about 27. I have a family history of heart disease. Father had a heart attack at 37.

I'm not, nor was I ever, a real big guy. I was a smoker, fairly heavy drinker when I got prescribed blood pressure meds. I'm about 5'10" and have fluctuated from 200 lbs (heaviest) down to 170 (lightest) and to about 180 now. Since diagnosed with elevated blood pressure I've lost weight and become a lot more active.

I've carefully monitored my cholesterol and triglycerides as well. Through diet and exersise I have dropped all of the above into acceptable ranges and the "good cholesterol" (forget if it's LDL or HDL) is higher than normal.

Back to blood pressure. It's always been about the same since I started monitoring it when they prescribed me medicine. Usually somewhere between 135-115 over 90-75. Typically it's somewhere within 5 points of 120/80. Quitting smoking has had no effect on my blood pressure (although it lowered my resting heart rate to about 70-75 from a usual 90-100 bpm). Drinking alcohol spikes my blood pressure, somewhere around 150/95 I've seen before... even on the day after drinking when I don't "feel hungover".

I'm sure I could add more. I've been watching it almost every day over the past two years.

I used to have awesome BP in my late twenties. I hit 30 AND GOT MARRIED  and my numbers have been high since. It kinda runs in my family, i kinda don't watch what I eat, I don't really exercise—so big surprise. 

I'm glad you posted this, it's reminded me to get serious with this ****. 

funny that this should show up right now....

i just got back from "health screening day" at my work, where i had my BP checked... I have NEVER registered outside of "normal" range for either upper or lower BP .... until just now    (i have usually been in the "optimal" range... better than "normal")

but this time i was in the "stage 1 hypertension" for both upper and lower....    

I'm  *hoping* that it was just an accident of circumstances reading:

i had recently biked in to work (2 hours before the reading)

i slept about 3 hours last night

I had had a cup of coffee about 5 minutes before the test

but i am worried tht the whole family history thing has suddenly caught up with me (if you poked my dad with a needle, he could water the lawn 4 houses down).   if so.... crap!

BP is a funny thing.  (overly) Controlling BP is not necessarily required to be healthy.

For many people there is no relationship between salt in take and actual unhealthy consequences.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

Yes salt raises your BP, but does limiting it actually do any good in terms of preventing unhealthy consequences.

There are even questions as to whether some of the medications used to control HBP actually prevent heart disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23728669

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/beta-blockers-prevent-heart-attack-stroke-study-jama/story?id=17378403

Yes, the beta blockers help lower the BP in the relevant populations, but they don't actually seem to prevent heart disease.  The people have lower BP, but they still have the same rates of heart disease.

And most experts actually agree that the idea of hitting some magic numbers is probably not significant and not accurate (I call this approach to medicine cookie cutter medicine, and it is almost always not a good (the best) way to practice medicine.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/115/21/2761.long

Generally, I wouldn't worry too much about the HBP itself, and I wouldn't worry too much about salt.

Now, if you over consume. salt, that isn't good, and you should probably cut back. You might also want to worry about your potassium in take.  And if you eat out a lot or eat a lot of pre-packaged food, you are probably getting more salt than you should be.

In general also the key to attacking HBP (and most other heart disease and weight related illnesses) is aerobic exercise and so depending on what you mean by exercising with weights and casual sports, you might want to increase your amount of aerobic exercise.

Eating better is always good, not smoking, not drinking too much, exercise are all good things.

With all that said, I've been on HBP medicine since my early 30's and my mom has been on them as long as I can remember and is now one of those people that takes multiple pills a day.

(I don't take a beta-blocker, but it is one of the things that mom takes.)

But generally try and be healthy and don't let the actual numbers stress you out (stress is bad!).

Peter, sounds good. I mean, I typically do all the "recommended" things: eat only good fats, drink water, don't smoke, drink only on special occasions, etc. My cholesterol is fine too. I'll just really try not to get stressed out too much and keep being extra active. 

But generally try and be healthy and don't let the actual numbers stress you out (stress is bad!).

Mine was 244/143 the other day, and then it went up after resting  :o .....laid off the ibupropren and it's back to normal

taking Alieve really jacks with it

Mine was 244/143 the other day, and then it went up after resting  :o .....laid off the ibupropren and it's back to normal

taking Alieve really jacks with it

Dude! I was at 180/120 when she asked me what was stressing me out & I blamed you!

Just kiddin', maybe you need a new doctor!

Since I quit drinking, nothing stresses me out. The moon could fall outta the sky, I'd be like, "meh"...

No kickin' over...get it together!

Dude! I was at 180/120 when she asked me what was stressing me out & I blamed you!

Just kiddin', maybe you need a new doctor!

Since I quit drinking, nothing stresses me out. The moon could fall outta the sky, I'd be like, "meh"...

No kickin' over...get it together!

What is this Dr you speak of?

I have white coat phobia,they are bad for my blood pressure....home nurses on the other hand  B)

I really felt in my heart God wanted me to share this, and I needed this for myself too. 

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-health-benefits-of-laughter.html

This article talks about how "laughing reduces blood pressure, increases vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood", among other things.

The Bible says that "A Merry Heart is God's Medicine"

Sometimes when I don't feel like it, I force myself to laugh, I will laugh at my fears or doubts that try to attack my mind, and I feel great afterward and I feel like a load of stress is relieved off me. 

Maybe we just need all need to start watching more comedies.  But laugh your way out of stress.  God bless you all.

Dude! I was at 180/120 

Same boat, Mary!  When I was really stressed out a few years ago, I got really dizzy at work one day.  I worked for the local gov't, so I just walked across the street to the EMS folks.  They took my blood pressure, 185/115.  That ain't high "blood pressure", that's Stage 2 Hypertension.  Serious stuff.

But between medication, abstinence from alcohol, and meditation (yes it sounds corny, but it works), my BP is now manageable. 

Same boat, Mary!  When I was really stressed out a few years ago, I got really dizzy at work one day.  I worked for the local gov't, so I just walked across the street to the EMS folks.  They took my blood pressure, 185/115.  That ain't high "blood pressure", that's Stage 2 Hypertension.  Serious stuff.

But between medication, abstinence from alcohol, and meditation (yes it sounds corny, but it works), my BP is now manageable.

Glad to hear you're managing it like I do...keep it real, bro!

Just gotta calm life down. Think...sober. Manage life...sober. It's been a wild, different experience...but I'm more "in tune" with how I feel because half of it isn't covered up with non-helpful-cover-up BS. I actually feel how I actually feel. (Which is why I'm choosing the natural route vs. pharma.)

Both hubby & I have gone a week without cigarettes. We have e-cigs, we're not stupid...but no more smoky smell, etc.

I have no doubt that my Losartin script will drop soon from 100mg to 50, and that not long after that, I won't need it at all.

I can't thank you enough. You've helped more than you'll ever know.

Glad to hear you're managing it like I do...keep it real, bro!

Just gotta calm life down. Think...sober. Manage life...sober. It's been a wild, different experience...but I'm more "in tune" with how I feel because half of it isn't covered up with non-helpful-cover-up BS. I actually feel how I actually feel. (Which is why I'm choosing the natural route vs. pharma.)

Both hubby & I have gone a week without cigarettes. We have e-cigs, we're not stupid...but no more smoky smell, etc.

I have no doubt that my Losartin script will drop soon from 100mg to 50, and that not long after that, I won't need it at all.

I can't thank you enough. You've helped more than you'll ever know.

Yay for a week without cigs!  I need to try those e-cigs, I hear they really help take the edge off.  And like you said, no smoke stink LOL. 

Living sober really is a lot different.  A good different.  I'm more aware of what's going on throughout the day, and not panicking about when I'll be able to have a drink.  The wife said she notices a big difference in my demeanor, I'm a lot more upbeat and positive now.

Mary, you're like a big sis to me.  Love ya!  :wub:

Archived