Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Managing blood pressure

Captain James

For me, anxiety was the worst culprit. When i was 22, my anxiety was probably at its peak, and resulted in me developing severe hypochondria symptoms. I experienced chest pain and immediately convinced myself i was having a heart attack, but it turns out in hindsight, it was just a potent anxiety attack. Anyway, i underwent numerous medical examinations including EKG's and ECG to examine my heart, and everytime the nurses took my blood pressure( which is standard practice when you go in for a check up of any sort) it would register alarmingly high numbers- sometimes in the 150/105 readings. I developed relatively significant OCD mannerisms because of these readings, where all i could focus on was my heartbeat and fearing it would suddenly cease its function. However, i'll always remember how unconcerned my doctors were at this reading, which used to infuriate me. At 22 years old, with no prior history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol or heart issues, it was simply due to anxiety or weird fluctuations in blood pressure readings( So they said).

Anyway, I'm 25 now, and my anxiety has diminished somewhat. I had surgery last August on my arm, and had to go in for pre-op checkups, and when the nurse dragged out the blood pressure machine, i immediately felt the surge of anxiety rush through my body. However, my reading on three separate occasions( i went in few times over the span of two weeks) was 118/76, 122/90 and 113/72. What changed in three years? well i convinced myself i didn't have congenital heart disease and that i was relatively healthy. I never altered my diet drastically( and i eat pretty horribly- college student), nor committed myself to working out more frequently. i believe now, that most of my immense blood pressure spikes were the result of anxiety.

Now, i say this partially, because- as someone above pointed out- blood pressure readings are tricky and don't always subscribe to logical patterns. I've had situations in a doctors office where my first blood pressure reading was 145/104 and my next reading measured directly after, was 122/94. Absolutely nothing changed in the 12 seconds it took the nurse loosen the arm band and reapply it. If anything, my anxiety increased after seeing the initial reading. So be careful inferring absolutes on blood pressure readings. three years ago, my blood pressure indicated i was nearing imminent death, which was misleading. 

Oh and i'm an avid green tea drinker, which I'm certain helps with all cardiovascular functioning- even if its mostly psychological. 

For me, anxiety was the worst culprit. When i was 22, my anxiety was probably at its peak, and resulted in me developing severe hypochondria symptoms. I experienced chest pain and immediately convinced myself i was having a heart attack, but it turns out in hindsight, it was just a potent anxiety attack. Anyway, i underwent numerous medical examinations including EKG's and ECG to examine my heart, and everytime the nurses took my blood pressure( which is standard practice when you go in for a check up of any sort) it would register alarmingly high numbers- sometimes in the 150/105 readings. I developed relatively significant OCD mannerisms because of these readings, where all i could focus on was my heartbeat and fearing it would suddenly cease its function. However, i'll always remember how unconcerned my doctors were at this reading, which used to infuriate me. At 22 years old, with no prior history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol or heart issues, it was simply due to anxiety or weird fluctuations in blood pressure readings( So they said).

Anyway, I'm 25 now, and my anxiety has diminished somewhat. I had surgery last August on my arm, and had to go in for pre-op checkups, and when the nurse dragged out the blood pressure machine, i immediately felt the surge of anxiety rush through my body. However, my reading on three separate occasions( i went in few times over the span of two weeks) was 118/76, 122/90 and 113/72. What changed in three years? well i convinced myself i didn't have congenital heart disease and that i was relatively healthy. I never altered my diet drastically( and i eat pretty horribly- college student), nor committed myself to working out more frequently. i believe now, that most of my immense blood pressure spikes were the result of anxiety.

Now, i say this partially, because- as someone above pointed out- blood pressure readings are tricky and don't always subscribe to logical patterns. I've had situations in a doctors office where my first blood pressure reading was 145/104 and my next reading measured directly after, was 122/94. Absolutely nothing changed in the 12 seconds it took the nurse loosen the arm band and reapply it. If anything, my anxiety increased after seeing the initial reading. So be careful inferring absolutes on blood pressure readings. three years ago, my blood pressure indicated i was nearing imminent death, which was misleading. 

Oh and i'm an avid green tea drinker, which I'm certain helps with all cardiovascular functioning- even if its mostly psychological. 

You just described me to a T lol.

I have been going through some stress/anxiety problems for like the last 2-3 months. Finally seems to be under control now, but I too was having chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. Went and got an EKG and everything checked out. Since I've been on the anxiety meds, I've definitely calmed back down. Probably helps that work and life in general have slowed down too. But anxiety is a **** lol.

I really felt in my heart God wanted me to share this, and I needed this for myself too. 

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-health-benefits-of-laughter.html

This article talks about how "laughing reduces blood pressure, increases vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood", among other things.

The Bible says that "A Merry Heart is God's Medicine"

Sometimes when I don't feel like it, I force myself to laugh, I will laugh at my fears or doubts that try to attack my mind, and I feel great afterward and I feel like a load of stress is relieved off me. 

Maybe we just need all need to start watching more comedies.  But laugh your way out of stress.  God bless you all.

Thanks brother! God bless you too!

You just described me to a T lol.

I have been going through some stress/anxiety problems for like the last 2-3 months. Finally seems to be under control now, but I too was having chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. Went and got an EKG and everything checked out. Since I've been on the anxiety meds, I've definitely calmed back down. Probably helps that work and life in general have slowed down too. But anxiety is a **** lol.

It certainly is. I think people underestimate its effect/symptoms. Attempting to explain something like GAD to my friends is difficult, because anxiety to them is fleeting, and simply the result of some imminent significant event- like a job interview, a test etc… But they can't empathize with me when i tell them about a an anxiety attack that flares up on a normal saturday afternoon watching a baseball game. its not always rational, but its present. I've even developed an odd fascination with it. I try to analyze why my body and brain are producing anxiety, when there's no observable reason. It helps a little bit, because it isolates the irrationality of it, and I'm able to focus my attention elsewhere and calm down.

Also, i don't know if you suffer from GAD(general anxiety disorder), but you responded highlighting how my post described you to a T, so i figured theres a chance. :)

It certainly is. I think people underestimate its effect/symptoms. Attempting to explain something like GAD to my friends is difficult, because anxiety to them is fleeting, and simply the result of some imminent significant event- like a job interview, a test etc… But they can't empathize with me when i tell them about a an anxiety attack that flares up on a normal saturday afternoon watching a baseball game. its not always rational, but its present. I've even developed an odd fascination with it. I try to analyze why my body and brain are producing anxiety, when there's no observable reason. It helps a little bit, because it isolates the irrationality of it, and I'm able to focus my attention elsewhere and calm down.

Also, i don't know if you suffer from GAD(general anxiety disorder), but you responded highlighting how my post described you to a T, so i figured theres a chance. :)

Haven't been diagnosed yet, but I go back to the Dr's next week for some blood work, so I'm sure I'll know more then. I think mine just had to do with all kinds of stressors going on in my life. Between work and life, I just felt like I was constantly on the go and had no time to relax and it just all caught up to me at once. Since things have quieted down a bit for me, I definitely feel better. Plus, I'm sure the meds are helping haha.

Sometimes it's just good ole hereditary issues.  I've have high BP and been on medication for it since I was 17.  I don't eat amazing now, but I still eat pretty well.  However back when I was 17 I was eating immaculate, exercising 2-3 hours every single day and drinking more water than I can care to think.  Still didn't matter, meds were the only way to keep it under control.

finally got out of a drs office w/o them preaching about my blood pressure,30 minutes later they call to tell me they are calling in prescript and to come back for full bloodwork. :rolleyes:

it was good while it lasted ....sneaky ****s

Wow, really surprised at how much participation this thread received! You all rock!

Anyways, really starting to wonder if I simply have the infamous "white coat syndrome."  My BP has been exceptional since that doctor visit, almost bordering on "low."  Thinking back, it was always high when co-workers and I would compete every day at work to see who had the best BP haha. I would always lose for some reason even though I view myself as active and healthy.

Maybe I'm just a sissy under pressure!

Wow, really surprised at how much participation this thread received! You all rock!

Anyways, really starting to wonder if I simply have the infamous "white coat syndrome."  My BP has been exceptional since that doctor visit, almost bordering on "low."  Thinking back, it was always high when co-workers and I would compete every day at work to see who had the best BP haha. I would always lose for some reason even though I view myself as active and healthy.

Maybe I'm just a sissy under pressure!

Family history is a great predictor of how concerned you should be. Did your father have a heart attack or stroke? How about your father's father and your father's mother? Your mom and her side of the family? These things really matter.

Also there is this handy risk assessment calculator. You need to know specific readings that only blood work can tell but it's pretty useful.

http://cvdrisk.nhlbi.nih.gov

Archived