Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Offseason/Mini Camp tweets (whatnot & glutton free) - 6/17/14

...and actually fielded a decent team, on the way up, after a horrendous start.  Marty got shafted.  If you meant that as a negative, you failed big time, in my opinion. Or perhaps you meant it as a positive example. HTTR

Snyder wanted to micro manage and Marty would have been a winner for us.

...and actually fielded a decent team, on the way up, after a horrendous start.  Marty got shafted.  If you meant that as a negative, you failed big time, in my opinion. Or perhaps you meant it as a positive example. HTTR

I actually meant it as a positive.  Marty was probably our best coach of them all.  Cleaned house and wanted to build the team the right way.  Also totally refused to listen to Dan.

Yay, another Schotty hypefest lol...

John Keim @john_keim 46m

#Redskins OL coach Chris Foerster on LeRibeus: 'What we wanted' .. in shape, now must prove he can play http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/8452/foerster-on-leribeus-what-we-wanted 

They wanted him to build off a good finish. Instead, he reverted to past habits and lost a whole season. Josh LeRibeus spent last offseason out of shape, injured and ultimately in the doghouse. It took him a whole season to repair the damage.

The Redskins hope he's back on the right path.

"This is what we wanted," Redskins offensive line coach Chris Foerster said.

Foerster always references the Seattle playoff game after the 2012 season for LeRibeus because he replaced an injured Kory Lichtensteiger and played well. But then LeRibeus reported out of shape last offseason, by perhaps as much as 30 pounds, and injured his hamstring.

"He lost a year," Foerster said. "At the end of last year he was better, but he's come back in great shape with a great attitude."

The Redskins will have some tough decisions along the offensive line, though it will depend on how many linemen decide to keep. There have been years they kept only eight, but it would be hard to see them keeping fewer than nine and perhaps even 10.

They not only added two players in free agency (Shawn Lauvao and Mike McGlynn), they also drafted two players (Spencer Long and Morgan Moses). And they have the young backups in LeRibeus, Tom Compton and Adam Gettis.

"Compton, LeRibeus and Gettis all have worked their tails off," Foerster said. "They have to step up this year because there will be a lot of competition .... Now you add Spender and Morgan to the mix and it's a group of guys that all have a chance to play in this league."

How well they play is always another matter. But the Redskins hope their depth is stronger in part because of a much better offseason by LeRibeus, who is working at both guard spots. Several months ago there was concern about him and if he'd have the proper motivation to succeed. Or if he was someone they'd need to constantly prod.

This is a big season for the former third-round pick. He's playing for a new head coach and must prove he deserves a spot. But he'll report to training camp in much better standing than a year ago.

Jason Hatcher @hatcher97 54m

Fresh off a knee scope and I hadn't took a pain med yet. God is good!! #HTTR

John Keim @john_keim 44s

Jay Gruden energizes #Redskins... but: many unanswered questions http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/8434/jay-gruden-energizes-redskins 

Life is calmer now for the Redskins. (Well, if you don’t count the storm over their nickname.) That’s the result of hiring Jay Gruden, whose candor, insight and friendliness provides the franchise a breath of fresh air. But also an unknown: Though opinion around the NFL was split on his hiring, Gruden has passed the first test of his tenure by laying a solid foundation. And the Redskins head into training camp next month energized.

It’s about a new trust, felt by players and coaches. Gruden has made it clear from the get-go: This is about the players. There’s a different level of ownership by the players and even some of the coaches. Maybe it helps that Gruden took a different path to reach this point, starring in the Arena League for many years, but he coaches without much of an ego, or at least not one that overwhelms him. He didn’t come to Washington with a system, he came with beliefs in what he wanted to run and fused them with what worked well here in the past. Not all coaches operate that way.

[...]The feel-good offseason started with quarterback Robert Griffin III’s work. He got the necessary work in that he could not get last season because of his knee. He worked hard on his mechanics and will continue to do so; he looked much more relaxed around Gruden than under Shanahan. He’s not wearing a brace; he can be more himself. He’s as confident as he’s been in a while.

However, Griffin also is still learning to be a pocket passer. That doesn’t just mean throwing a pass from the pocket, but also knowing when to run and where and how quickly to go from your first option to your second or third. It doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t do it, but it does mean there’s an ongoing transition that will take time. Nor does it mean he won’t make plays in the process. If he’s more himself, why wouldn’t he? There are things he does well as a passer; the trick for Gruden is incorporating those while he improves in other areas. Knock the Shanahans all you want, they coaxed a terrific season from a rookie quarterback two years ago.

[...]The defense can feel good, too. It added pass-rushers in Jason Hatcher and, the Redskins hope, Trent Murphy. They have a vocal leader at safety in Ryan Clark. They’ve added two outstanding linebacker coaches in Kirk Olivadotti (inside) and Brian Baker (outside), the latter of whom has focused heavily on pass rush techniques. They’ve talked a great game about a more aggressive pass rush.

But as the Redskins exit the spring, Hatcher is coming off knee surgery, joining two other key players along the defensive line in that regard. The defense might have five starters 30 years or older and there are questions about what certain players have left.

Then there’s Gruden. Players have talked about the new energy in practices, stemming from him and his new hires. Coaches like him because they have more freedom -- to hire, to implement ideas, to coach. It matters. It’s too early to say he changed the culture; Shanahan was said to have done the same thing. But Gruden has changed the mood. There’s a different level of passion, stemming from his energy and the coaches. It rubs off on players. Because of that, it (should) enable him to command the room, a pre-hire criticism. That is, as long as you bring in the right players who won’t abuse that trust. It’s a fine line.

From ESPN article above:

"The defense might have five starters 30 years or older and there are questions about what certain players have left."

I think this is a legit concern. I hope Haslett has a good plan to cycle guys in and out to keep guys fresh

From ESPN article above:

"The defense might have five starters 30 years or older and there are questions about what certain players have left."

I think this is a legit concern. I hope Haslett has a good plan to cycle guys in and out to keep guys fresh

The defense is going to be a multi-year project unless some unknown entity (has to be a pass rusher) steps up in a Von Miller/Clay Matthews type way. Don't see it happening cuz the talent isn't overwhelming enough.

From ESPN article above:

Gruden's been saying he envisions just that for our DL.

Gruden's been saying he envisions just that for our DL.

He's gonna need it in the secondary though even more.

Unless I'm mistaken 3 of the over-30 starters he's referring to are Clark, Hall and Meriwether.

The defense is going to be a multi-year project unless some unknown entity (has to be a pass rusher) steps up in a Von Miller/Clay Matthews type way. Don't see it happening cuz the talent isn't overwhelming enough.

LBer coach Baker is not known for praise yet spoke out that Brandon Jenkins is the most improved player thus far. 

John Keim @john_keim  ·  1m

Brian baker called Brandon Jenkins perhaps most improved player this spring. He needed that to be the case. Baker has been hard on him

Hard for a first year coach to say most improved. I guess he's basing this on practice tape?

I'm assuming it's about who improved the most this offseason. Which, considering the quotes about Murphy's perfectionist attitude and the fact that Orakpo, Kerrigan and Jackson are all vets leaves Jenkins as the de facto* "most improved". Most improved also doesn't necessarily mean the guy is any good, so I'm taking the comment with a grain of salt.

* though there's another guy I'm forgetting who received some praise early on in OTAs.

Speaking of linebackers, I'm liking the praise for Compton and the 3 picks by Kimbrough (just in the open media practices). Bodes well for our ILB depth.

Hard for a first year coach to say most improved. I guess he's basing this on practice tape?

That's kindof what I thought. It yeah, we know they watched all the practice tape from last year.

Regardless, it's a positive comment. And I like positive comments more than negative comments this time of year

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI  ·  9m

#Redskins rookie RT Morgan Moses wrote on his experience so far at the NFL Rookie Symposium via #NFLplayerengagement: http://nflpe.sportsblog.com/posts/722895/so_far_so_good.html 

Being able to come here, it's almost like a reunion. You see all these guys at the Senior Bowl, the Combine, Draft Day. And now to see them here wearing their team logos, it's a great testament to how hard all of these players have worked.

I'm learning a lot. A lot of current players have talked to us about the rookie wall and having a plan for how to rebound when you hit that wall...because you are going to hit it, there's no way around it. We've also learned about things like how to get your financial bearings and how to be a professional...coming in every day and working hard at your craft.

The Chris Herren story also really caught my attention. It doesn't matter how many times you fall, what matters is how many times you get back up. You're going to have your rough days, your bad practices, but you can't take that practice back. It's all about what you do from now on.

My transition so far has been great. I'm basically playing for my hometown team, and I'm out there learning my playbook, getting affiliated with my new teammates, getting back to playing football the way I know how to. When you first get out there, you have the little jitters, but then you have to slow yourself down and remember you've been doing this your whole life and go out there and perform.

We have some time off before training camp, and some guys are going on little vacations or going to see their families. But one thing you have to do is get to camp in shape because you don't want to go out there in training camp and get left behind.

John Keim @john_keim 19m

Something to prove: Jason Hatcher: We will be featuring a different Washington Redskins player each ... http://es.pn/1lcNJiN  #Redskins

Why he has something to prove: Because he was a high-profile signing by a defense in need of help. Also Hatcher is coming off a career year with 11 sacks and must show it wasn’t a fluke. The Redskins’ coaching staff felt Hatcher gave them more fits than any interior rusher last season because of his quickness and his hands. Hatcher was not as big a pass-rush threat while serving as a 3-4 defensive end, though he had a combined 8.5 in his past two seasons at that spot (when he became a full-time starter). By comparison, all the Redskins’ linemen have combined for 8.5 sacks in the past two seasons (they did have 17 in 2011. But as their production waned the past two years so, too, did the pass rush. Stephen Bowen has one sack the past two seasons combined). Still, Hatcher must show that last season was not an anomaly. The Redskins targeted him because of what he did against them and others. They also needed to diversify their rush, and the outside rushers, Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan, received little to no help from the interior. That left offenses able to focus more on them.

Courtney Bridget @DontThrowAt21_ Jun 22

Man I miss my lil guy. The grind sometimes gets in the way. pic.twitter.com/CoSFIkoKBI

BqxtYvZCEAAJFBX.jpg

Courtney Bridget @DontThrowAt21_  ·  5h

Sacrifice what you are for what you want to become.

Jason Woodmansee @jasonwoodmansee 2h

An @RGIII sighting on the Spanish Steps in Rome (cc: @dcsportsbog). #HTTR pic.twitter.com/0oN4APXXro

Washington Redskins @Redskins  ·  Jun 24

#Redskins 2014 draft class rookies are attending the #RookieSymposium this week to prepare them for life in the @NFL.

Bq58pB_CQAAzv0Y.jpg

BqwnRCFCQAEJ0hL.jpg

Washington Redskins @Redskins Jun 20

QB @RGIII will "constantly stay in touch" with teammates during break "to make sure that they’re in their playbook". http://redsk.in/1noDo4F

Andre' Roberts @AndreRoberts  ·  19h

Lets get it #RedskinsNation #HTTR couple months away till the 2014 season..it'll be here before we… http://instagram.com/p/ppRqakIe4c/

924386_1441610526100382_1644337126_n.jpg

Andre' Roberts @AndreRoberts  ·  Jun 18

U know you're stuck in traffic, wen at a traffic light u see red, but you're still moving forward like it's green smh #dmvtraffic

Ted Bolser @TedBolser  ·  Jun 24

@Salute_me17 @slong_61 @MORGANMOSES_78 @TMurphy_93 and I were teaching life lessons out there at the Play 60 event today. #TheGauntlet

Archived