Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN poll: Do the Skins have the best receiver duo in NFC East?

Vanguard

This all depends on whether or not we're counting DHall as one of Romo's receivers. :)

Boo!

As for the actual topic, I would say Washington.  While Williams does run good routes and has decent speed, the guy just doesn't do crap with it after he catches it.  A fingernail, tall blade of grasss, or a stiff wind is usually all it takes to bring him down.  I think that defenses have to be concerned about both Garcon and Jackson while I only think they have to worry about Dez for Dallas (and rightfully so, because he is definitely the best of the group..both with the ball, and without.  Strong like bull.).

To DM29, I don't see how you can say that 'with Witten' we are better.  Witten is slow as molasses.  If this Reed kid can stay healthy and build on what he started to show last year, the Skins will be a handful offensively. 

i absolutely do not get all the Andre Roberts love from Redskins fans.  who are you guys confusing him with?  he was a semi-decent #3 receiver in Arizona last year.  no more.  his stats were virtually identical to moss's last year.  about 40 catches, about 450 yards, about 11 yards per catch, and two touchdowns.  it'll be interesting to see who wins out between he, moss, and hankerson, but i don't see why he's considered some huge upgrade here.

You can't pay attention to numbers alone.  If you've ever actually watched the guy play (and if you're a fantasy player you have) you know that the dude is a baller.  Has great speed and awesome hands. Good route runner and adjusts to the ball well.  It kind of reminds me of that short on Sonny Jurgenson the NFL Network did.  A lot of people said "What's so great about Sonny?, he didn't have great numbers or win anything"  and one of the interviewees responds to that by saying "Did you ever see Sonny play?".  I'm not saying Roberts is SJ9 level or a future HOFer but theres something to be said for seeing the way someone plays vs their stats.

According to polls it's the Cowboys.

That's because ESPN has a surname. Cowboys Network. Of course they have the Cowboys with the best...everything they are in a poll about. :rolleyes:

Boo!

As for the actual topic, I would say Washington.  While Williams does run good routes and has decent speed, the guy just doesn't do crap with it after he catches it.  A fingernail, tall blade of grasss, or a stiff wind is usually all it takes to bring him down.  I think that defenses have to be concerned about both Garcon and Jackson while I only think they have to worry about Dez for Dallas (and rightfully so, because he is definitely the best of the group..both with the ball, and without.  Strong like bull.).

To DM29, I don't see how you can say that 'with Witten' we are better.  Witten is slow as molasses.  If this Reed kid can stay healthy and build on what he started to show last year, the Skins will be a handful offensively. 

Witten has great hands & even if he's slow, he's not too terribly easy to bring down. He's a solid player.

Honestly, I don't think it matters how good the receivers on Dallas are. They could be the best EVER. The problem y'all have is Romo. As long as he is at the helm, y'all will consistently be 8-8 or worse.

How can anyone answer this?  We haven't seen ours play.

Jackson was good in Philly, Garcon was good with Shanahan, Roberts was okay in Arizona.  We have no idea how this season is going to look with them together under Gruden.  It may not work at all or it may be the second coming of three 1000-yard receivers.  Way too many variables to form a real opinion.

. . . what's that?  Oh, it's ESPN?  Then **** it, Redskins 4eva Cowboys suck Vagiants suck Sheegles sukc RGIII OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG HTTR #HASHTAG!

Dez is certainly the #1 in the NFC East.  But Garcon is very physical for his size and proved to be a good possession WR.  I would give the edge to Washington no doubt though.  Garcon/DJax is better then Dez/Williams but it's not by much.  

i absolutely do not get all the Andre Roberts love from Redskins fans.  who are you guys confusing him with?  he was a semi-decent #3 receiver in Arizona last year.  no more.  his stats were virtually identical to moss's last year.  about 40 catches, about 450 yards, about 11 yards per catch, and two touchdowns.  it'll be interesting to see who wins out between he, moss, and hankerson, but i don't see why he's considered some huge upgrade here.

One big difference between Roberts and Moss...

The new Washington Redskins receiver didn't catch as many passes as he would have liked last season. But he did show good hands when the ball came his way. Roberts dropped three passes in 2013, according to ESPN Stats & Information. His drop percentage was 3.9; the league average was 4.3 percent. By comparison, Pierre Garcon (3.4) and DeSean Jackson (3.7) ranked ahead of Roberts. But last year’s slot receiver, Santana Moss, had a drop percentage of 8.9.

That's a big difference. Also he plays inside and outside, blocks, and returns kicks and punts. Things you want from your WR3. Here is a good article about Roberts you should read

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/7125/andre-roberts-i-can-go-get-everything

And check out his highlights, dude is sneaky good

Whoah. Easy there, tiger.

I'm as optimistic as they come, but let's temper it down a tad. Let's have them see a field first before we go throwing names like that around. The Posse is sacred around these parts.

Oh I know, I watched all of there games live and on TV and even was at RFK for some of the playoff games. I know all about Ricky Sanders, Art Monk, and Gary Clark. I'm not trying to jinx these new guys but it's the first time that I can remember since the 80's when we had three guys way under 30 with the resume and abilities these men have. IF and thats a big IF...if it all works out imagine Desean, Pierre, and Roberts having this type of season

1989:

Gary Clark - 1229 yards

Art Monk - 1186 yards

Ricky Sanders - 1138 yards

Not impossible to me with those three just having these numbers

2013:

Pierre Garcon: 1,346 yards

Desean Jackson: 1,332 yards

Andre Roberts: 471 yards

The 2013 group was only 404 receiving yards away from that 1989 team total last year

Oh I know, I watched all of there games live and on TV and even was at RFK for some of the playoff games. I know all about Ricky Sanders, Art Monk, and Gary Clark. I'm not trying to jinx these new guys but it's the first time that I can remember since the 80's when we had three guys way under 30 with the resume and abilities these men have. IF and thats a big IF...if it all works out imagine Desean, Pierre, and Roberts having this type of season

1989:

Gary Clark - 1229 yards

Art Monk - 1186 yards

Ricky Sanders - 1138 yards

Not impossible to me with those three just having these numbers

2013:

Pierre Garcon: 1,346 yards

Desean Jackson: 1,332 yards

Andre Roberts: 471 yards

The 2013 group was only 404 receiving yards away from that 1989 team total last year

Kind of a tough comparison. 

Clark, Monk, Sanders were all on one team.

Garcon had 1346 yards. 2nd on the team last year was Jordan Reed at 499 yards. That's a lot of touches for your number one with no legitimate #2 to share the rock. 

Roberts best year came in 2012, when in that year, Fitzgerald only had 798 yards and no QB. Not saying he cannot reach 1,000 yards, but his best season came when his #1 was getting doubled and tripled. 

Also throw in, the year Clark, Monk and Sanders broke 1,000, Riggs only had 200 carries with Byner getting 134. With RGIII throwing the rock and taking off running some, I will take him throwing over Morris getting 250+ carries.

Kind of a tough comparison. 

Clark, Monk, Sanders were all on one team.

Garcon had 1346 yards. 2nd on the team last year was Jordan Reed at 499 yards. That's a lot of touches for your number one with no legitimate #2 to share the rock. 

Roberts best year came in 2012, when in that year, Fitzgerald only had 798 yards and no QB. Not saying he cannot reach 1,000 yards, but his best season came when his #1 was getting doubled and tripled. 

Also throw in, the year Clark, Monk and Sanders broke 1,000, Riggs only had 200 carries with Byner getting 134. With RGIII throwing the rock and taking off running some, I will take him throwing over Morris getting 250+ carries.

I agree, and until we see how this plays out it's just speculation. I was defending my post how on paper this looks like the new possee. Of course we are getting ahead of ourselves thinking that they will all have 1000 yards receiving next year, the possibility is there but it's highly unlikely

Roberts as WR3 who is willing and usable re: returns on STs is crazy WR depth, for us.  Our OL is questionable at this point of the off season but our pass catching starters of Garcon/Jackson/Roberts/Reed are NFL proven.

Garcon will still play tough, get open, make crazy catches.  Jackson will go deep a lot, and still be good doing it.  Roberts plays tough too and can take it to the house playing inside or out and Reed is uncoverable when on the field.  We have to see how the numbers shake out but assuming our HC asks them to do what they are proven capable of I don't feel it's premature to expect good production from the get go. 

A 3rd and some good amount of CAP $ should get you some talent, and I wouldn't be surprised if we added another highly rated WR or TE in the draft either.  Weapons for QB, check :)

This is another joke in terms of prior performances. Dez is legit. When it comes to Williams at best a 60 catch guy. Last year alone he had one game early on over 100 yards rec and 44 rec on the year. other than than that he's an average guy on a team with a marquee name.

DeSean had 88 rec while probably won't happen this season....maybe 60rec what he brings in terms of how defenses will play him has to be accounted for. Forget the rest of the east. The skins on paper(once again) have won the preseason.

That sport nation poll is another espn skins beat down.

Hail!

i refuse to put us into contention for this trophy. This is the offseason awards list that I don't want any part of. Until Garcon/Jackson/Roberts/Moss has some production as a unit, I'm not counting them as anything. As of right now the only chemistry there is between Garcon and Moss (and Hankerson/Roberts if you want to go down the line) and that WR core is crap. We have yet to see how Gruden will utilize our new additions. In theory we should have good WRs, but who knows how things will play out. I'm happy to give this title to Dallas or NY and go into the season with no expectations.

I wouldn't judge Roberts from his stats in Arizona. All this guy needs is a team like Washington to break out in this league. With Jackson and Garcon stealing the attention, Roberts can very easily be a game changer, the man has speed and talent. If RG3 gets back to ballin this season, we could have the best trio of receivers in the NFL.

I wouldn't judge Roberts from his stats in Arizona. All this guy needs is a team like Washington to break out in this league. With Jackson and Garcon stealing the attention, Roberts can very easily be a game changer, the man has speed and talent. If RG3 gets back to ballin this season, we could have the best trio of receivers in the NFL.

don't judge him by what he's actually done in the league? you sure that's a good idea?  he didn't particularly light it up with larry fitzgerald and floyd "stealing the attention" from him.

taylor jacobs had speed and talent.

sorry, i guess i'm wary of paying people for potential.

don't judge him by what he's actually done in the league? you sure that's a good idea? he didn't particularly light it up with larry fitzgerald and floyd "stealing the attention" from him.

taylor jacobs had speed and talent.

excuse me for being sick of paying people for potential.

Paying for potential is what every single NFL contract from rookie deals on up are based off of. Thats the name of the NFL game. I dont get how anyone can not see what Roberts brings to the table, Is he AJ Green? No but when you have a guy who is 26 years old who has shown to be able to catch the ball from the inside and outside and also excels at return duties as your legitimate number 3 receiver on a team that desperately needed that skill set I dont understand how a fan could be down on that.

Paying for potential is what every single NFL contract from rookie deals on up are based off of. Thats the name of the NFL game. I dont get how anyone can not see what Roberts brings to the table, Is he AJ Green? No but when you have a guy who is 26 years old who has shown to be able to catch the ball from the inside and outside and also excels at return duties as your legitimate number 3 receiver on a team that desperately needed that skill set I dont understand how a fan could be down on that.

he's not a rookie - he's in his 5th year.  we are paying for unproven potential from a 5th-year WR.

Can't the same be said about Williams in Dallas?

Speed guy who was a #3 last year. No reason he cannot have 65-80 catches and 1,000 plus as a #2 this year.

Roberts is a bit unproven. Then again, so was Garcon as a #1 guy. That one worked out okay. We'll have to see how it turns out with Roberts. I think he could've been a reliable number 2 for a reasonable price at $4 mil per. As a #3, I think he may end up seeming a bit over paid...but that's less on him (or even the front office) and more on the unexpected notion that Jackson became available.

Under an offense that utilized 3 WR's more routinely, Roberts improved his production by 200 yards in each of his first three years. Two years ago was his "break out" of sorts with 750 yards and 5 TD's.

In his fourth year he seemed to regress a bit in an offense that reportedly saw the #3 WR get a lot less attention. His targets fell from 98 two years prior, and 114 the yeard before, down to 76.

So the question basically becomes...does our front office believe that the 4th year was an abberation due to being a poor scheme fit for a new offense, or do they feel that the progressoin in the first 3 years was coincidental and the 4th year was a better example of who he is as a player.

I can see an argument both ways, but having watched the guy play I'm inclined to say that the 4th year was more of an abberation.

Do I think he's going to be a 1,000 yard guy for us? With Jackson now on this team, I don't. Had Jackson not been on this team, I would figure he'd have been a 800 yard type reciever for us. Now I figure he'll be closer to the 600-700 range unless Garcon or Jackson go down with injury. But I feel he's the type of #3 WR that can step up to be the #2 if one of our top two guys go down, and can do the job very effectively. 

As to the question for this particular thread.

There's no question the Skins have the best recieving duo in the NFC East to start the year on paper. This shouldn't even be a questoin. While Williams has definitely shown potential, you're hard pressed to make a claim he's a top 20 WR in the league right now. You can legitimately make that claim with Garcon and Jackson. While I agree that Dez is the best in the entire division, he's not SO far ahead that pairing him with someone like Williams skyrockets that group ahead.

Adding in a TE into the situation, I'm not sure you can put the Cowboys ahead. While Wittin may be better than Reed, I don't think the gap is that much given Witten's advancing age. Or more specifically, I don't think the gap is so much that it makes up for the gap between Jackson/Garcon and Dez/Williams.

Jackson and Garcon are a top 10, and possibly top 5, duo in the league on paper. There's no argument to be made here against them being the top in the East at the moment.

This is another joke in terms of prior performances. Dez is legit. When it comes to Williams at best a 60 catch guy. Last year alone he had one game early on over 100 yards rec and 44 rec on the year. other than than that he's an average guy on a team with a marquee name.

Keep in mind, he spent most of the year as the teams #4 option at Receiver. Behind Dez, Miles and Witten. 

he's not a rookie - he's in his 5th year. we are paying for unproven potential from a 5th-year WR.

I never said he was a rookie, dude I dont understand the venom or your refusal to see that this team could go with Moss as 3rd and slot who had triple the percentage of drops that Roberts did and is like 8 years older or Roberts who not only receives but returns kicks. Maybe you think that Thompson or Paul were weapons at returner but they were last in the league, he improved two positions and was a cheap signing

As for the notion he is unproven he is proven, His best season he had 750 yards receiving and thats better then last years #2 receiver on this team and with Garcon and Djax getting the coverage it should open it up for one on one coverage for him which he will excel at

Archived