Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

Picard just wrapped up season 2. Just watched the debut of Strange New Worlds. Pretty good start. Set after the events of season 2 of Discovery, but those events remain classified.

Good to see the Enterprise again. Episode end with a trailer for season 1. Should be a good season.

Just watched New Worlds first two episodes, of all the new shows this one feels the most like Star Trek.  Nonviolent solutions, high ideals, crew that isn’t wildly insubordinate for no reason, and a storyline that isn’t almost entirely about feelings.  Great start.

• Like 2

Only seen the first one, so far.  I'm optimistic.  

I think they might be trying too hard to squeeze too many things from Shatner's Enterprise.  I mean, I like teasers and Easter Eggs.  But there might be too many.  

I also think they might be laying it on too thick with the current political references.  But then, the original series did that, too.  I think it was one of their strengths.  

15 hours ago, Destino said:

and a storyline that isn’t almost entirely about feelings. 

This is what ruins Discovery. I can't watch it without a remote so I can fast forward through all the sappy dialogue and melodramatic speeches.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

One thing about SNW, they don’t need to mention Pike’s fate so much. We know how his story ends. That should be the series finale.

Even though Pike knows his end; he doesn’t need to obsessing about it in every episode.

It’s new Star Trek, so don’t be so sure that you know how his story ends.  For all we know they’ll revive his mind in the future in an android body.  There’s no telling what these new writers are capable of.  lol

I’d like a Star Trek show set on a planet or planets (that are close by).  Like deep space nine, but on a planet.  I want Star fleet and people trying to coexist there while things on the planet try to eat them and alien races try to sabotage them, and maybe also eat them.  We’ve seen ships, a space station, and even mushroom powered magic ship full of strong feelings.  

its time for a mysterious planet.  In a mysterious solar system.  

48 minutes ago, Destino said:

I’d like a Star Trek show set on a planet or planets (that are close by).  Like deep space nine, but on a planet.  I want Star fleet and people trying to coexist there while things on the planet try to eat them and alien races try to sabotage them, and maybe also eat them.  We’ve seen ships, a space station, and even mushroom powered magic ship full of strong feelings.  

One idea that I'd wanted for some time?  

In Roddenberry's original bible for TNG, he described a Federation where the Federation is no longer exploring.  And is pretty much at peace, with negotiated, respected, treaties with it's neighbors.  But, a lot of "Federation space" hasn't actually been visited yet.  

Well, my thoughts is, if that's the Federation, then you don't build six Galaxy class starships carrying 1,000 people each.  You build 1,000 scout ships, with a crew of 6 each.  

I had the desire for a show where the 6 people on the bridge, are the whole crew.  Where, if they meet the Greek God Apollo, there isn't a convenient PhD in Greek mythology working on deck 14.  And instead, the navigator has to try to wing it, while the engineer (who's all alone, back on the ship) Googles information for him.  Where the science officer is also the backup doctor.  

Another Trek show that I've thought I'd like?  

Background.  Star Trek: Enterprise had a show, in which they explained why Captain Kirk's Klingons looked different.  Supposedly, during Archer's time, a disease was spreading through the Empire, which was altering the appearance of infected Klingons.  (Obviously, by the time of the Trek movies, the disease had been cured.)  

Well, I think it's obvious that there's going to be a Civil War among the Klingons.  Between the "undiseased Klingons" and the infected ones.  Because hey, that's what Klingons do, with their problems.  

I think I'd enjoy watching a Star Trek show, entirely within the Klingon Empire.  A show where everybody is a Bad Guy.  I assume (never watched it) this is what Game of Thrones is.  

Bad Guys are colorful.  They get great lines of dialog.  I think it could be fun.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Destino said:

It’s new Star Trek, so don’t be so sure that you know how his story ends.  For all we know they’ll revive his mind in the future in an android body.  There’s no telling what these new writers are capable of.  lol

Oh, I know what these new writers are capable of.

square-peg-in-round-hole-compressor.gif

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, Destino said:

What you want is space cannibalism. 

On 5/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, Destino said:

Like LOST. But Trek. 

Said it before. I'd like adventures fo Enterprise B and C. Or 100 years after Picard maybe a really dark time. Foundation is barely hanging together. 

4 episodes in, and Strange New Worlds looks like the best ST series since TNG.  I have given up on Discovery....way too Gen-Z where more time is wasted on sappy soap opera dialogue than anything else, and Saru is the only interesting character. Picard was pretty good, but not great. Strange New Worlds has some of the best characters since the original series, and its plotlines are similar to the original as well. Also, it's really cool the way they have updated women's roles in this series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

4 episodes in, and Strange New Worlds looks like the best ST series since TNG.  I have given up on Discovery....way too Gen-Z where more time is wasted on sappy soap opera dialogue than anything else, and Saru is the only interesting character. Picard was pretty good, but not great. Strange New Worlds has some of the best characters since the original series, and its plotlines are similar to the original as well. Also, it's really cool the way they have updated women's roles in this series.

Watched episode 4 last night. Man that was so good. I had no intention of watching this show after Picard(not bad but..meh). Glad I gave it a chance. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:50 PM, @DCGoldPants said:

Like LOST. But Trek. 

Said it before. I'd like adventures fo Enterprise B and C. Or 100 years after Picard maybe a really dark time. Foundation is barely hanging together. 

So, a crossover of Asimov's Galactic Empire (Foundation) with the Federation?

1 hour ago, China said:

So, a crossover of Asimov's Galactic Empire (Foundation) with the Federation?

I liked that season of Foundation. But no.

More like they are on the edge of losing a war from species we haven't seen yet. Starships barely holding together. Rules out the window. Hail Mary storyline to turn the tide. 

10 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

agree on everything, even Saru being the only interesting character.  If any group operated like the discovery crew they’d never get anything done.  No one follows orders, everyone does what they want, and it’s all ok because they felt strongly about it.  

• Like 1