Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

New ‘Star Trek’ Nickelodeon Series Officially Revealed, ‘Strange New Worlds’ Spin-Off Writers Have Assembled [Comic-Con 2020] 

>>

After years of hibernation and a somewhat successful film franchise reboot, Star Trek is thriving where it belongs: on the small screen.

The greatest science fiction franchise of all time kicked off Comic-Con at Home with a mega-panel dedicated to just about every show, ongoing, new, and upcoming, in the current Trek universe. In addition to segments dedicated to Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Lower Decks, the panel offered some tidbits about the recently announced Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and officially revealed the title of the latest Trek series.<<<

Edited by Rdskns2000

Star Trek 4: Man Who Made Wrath Of Khan To Take Over

>>>

After many false stops and starts, and even rumors the project had been cancelled, it finally seems like things are moving forward for Star Trek 4

The current series began in 2009 with a film directed by J.J. Abrams, followed by another Abrams project in 2013, and then Justin Lin’s movie Star Trek Beyond in 2016. Though the fourth project was greenlit in 2016, it has been a long road getting to it. We’re only just beginning to gain momentum toward seeing Star Trek 4 hit the big screen. 

Where has all the drama landed? What can we expect from the return of these stories in the beloved sci-fi franchise? This is all we know about Star Trek 4 so far. <<<

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alexander Siddig and Andrew Robinson to perform fan-written “fluff fic” featuring Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s Garak and Bashir

Garashir fans, listen up! And if you’re not a Garashir fan, you should listen up too. Later today, Andrew Robinson and Alexander Siddig, the actors who played Garak and Doctor Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, will be performing a short fan-written play, in which the romance between the two characters is not so much subtext as straight-up text.

bashir-garak-star-trek-ds9.jpg?format=75

On Friday, fan fic author almaasi posted on Tumblr, announcing that Robinson and Siddig have agreed to perform their short play, “Little Achievements”. They’ll do so on Sid City Social Club, a semi-regular Zoom meeting for members of SidCity.net, Siddig’s fan-run official fansite. In the post, almaasi said, “‘Little Achievements’ is a fun little fluff fic come to life, written by a queer and neurodivergent fan with other queer and neurodivergent fans in mind. It’s set 20 years after the end of ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’, and takes a look at where Garak and Bashir are now.”

The characters of Garak and Bashir were never romantically attached in Deep Space Nine canon, but their relationship has been speculated on by fans for decades. Now fans will have the chance to watch the characters’ originating actors play out their romance together.

Click on the link for the full article

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS, ‘THE LONGEST PILOT-TO-SERIES PICKUP' EVER, RETURNS TO TOS' EPISODIC ROOTS

The creators of CBS All Access’ upcoming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds have promised that the show will be a return to The Original Series’ episodic storytelling roots, exploring the galaxy one weird planet at a time, while its characters’ emotional development will drive the season-long narrative. 

“We want to do Star Trek in the classic mold,” series executive producer Henry Alonso Myers explained at today's virtual panel for Star Trek Day (check it out below). Simply put, it's the U.S.S. Enterprise "traveling to strange new worlds. And we’re going to tell 'Big Idea' science fiction adventures in an episodic mode, so we have room to meet new aliens, see new ships, visit new cultures.”

Click on the link for the full article

• 88Comrade2000 changed the title to Star Trek Universe- All Things Trek
20 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, looks like Kutzman is well entranced.  He's got plans all the way up to 2027.

Star Trek TV Franchise Expansion Planned Through 2027

He can say he has these plans, but I don't his contract is that long, and I have some doubts about their funding, given Netflix elected not to pay for international distribution rights to Picard after Discovery, and Amazon (and Netflix) elected not to pay for international distribution for Lower Decks after Picard.

But that's probably just me being an optimist.

11 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

He can say he has these plans, but I don't his contract is that long, and I have some doubts about their funding, given Netflix elected not to pay for international distribution rights to Picard after Discovery, and Amazon (and Netflix) elected not to pay for international distribution for Lower Decks after Picard.

But that's probably just me being an optimist.

If they were going to get rid of him, they wouldn't be proceeding on any of the shows.

Expecting a Rodenberry Trek is impossible because he's been dead for nearly 30 years and even when he was alive, they removed him from Next Gen. That's actually when the show got better.

If you want the original Trek; you only got the TOS.    Whatever vision of Gene's Trek died with him.   

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Im loving this silly cartoon.  

It has that Next Gen vibe to it.

They are bringing back JAneway for the Star trek: Prodigy cartoon.

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If they were going to get rid of him, they wouldn't be proceeding on any of the shows.

I do believe Secret Hideout was given a 5-year contract with the Star Trek license.  And CBS is desperate to get people to buy their streaming service, and Star Trek is pretty much the only thing they have to try to make it happen.  If they want people on CBS All Access, they need Star Trek.  If they want Star Trek, they're saddled with that contract.

Expecting a Rodenberry Trek is impossible because he's been dead for nearly 30 years and even when he was alive, they removed him from Next Gen. That's actually when the show got better.

I'll disagree on a couple points here.  I like a lot of early TNG.  Second issue is that the reports behind the scenes indicate that it was Gene's Lawyer that was the cause of a lot of trouble early on.

If you want the original Trek; you only got the TOS.    Whatever vision of Gene's Trek died with him.

The previous maintainers of Star Trek mostly respected Roddenberry's vision (I don't imagine he'd approve of DS9's take on the Federation).  They might not have replicated it perfectly, but the effort was there to not completely destroy it.  Kurtzman and company don't respect Gene's vision in the slightest.  They don't care for Star Trek.  And even worse, they're terrible writers who can't make a competent story regardless as to whether it fits Gene's vision.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, Season 3 of Discovery looks intriguing.

Should have started with this premise from the beginning.

Will see.  Show has already been renewed for a Season 4; which goes into production next month.

Kate Mulgrew may not just be in that cartoon, Star Trek: Prodigy.   There's a possibility she may get her own show, to see where Janeway is in the future; like they did with Picard.

Also, there's a possibility they may revive Deep Space Nine in some form.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been reflecting. 

I think they did a lot of character development in Discovery 3.  (First season of the show I've really liked )

Also, I really liked the two new characters they added, Adira and Grey. 

Although I confess, appears I'm not as Trek as I thought. They say Adira is the first Human-Trill?  I'd always thought Dax was Human. I just assumed her spots were something that the Trill contributed. 

So I researched the actor who played Grey, and learned something else that apparently missed me. 

Supposedly, Adira is "non binary" and Grey is trans?  (As is the actor who plays Grey.)  

In a way, I'm really glad that I didn't know. I mean, I liked the fact that Trek pushed for social justice. I admired the way they would sometimes put political commentary in the show. But, I hated being beaten over the head with it in "Save the Whales"  

There were times where it would occur to me that I wasn't sure if Adira was male or female. But it also wasn't important to the show, either. 

And I absolutely think that's the way it should be handled in the show. Unless or until it's important to an episode, who cares?  

Opinions?

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

Although I confess, appears I'm not as Trek as I thought. They say Adira is the first Human-Trill?  I'd always thought Dax was Human. I just assumed her spots were something that the Trill contributed.

I'll skip over discussing anything nutrek from this, because it'll all be super negative, but the very first time we were ever introduced to the trill, Riker acted as an emergency host.  Human physiology couldn't handle being joined, though, and he was constantly being treated to keep him from dying until they could get a new host.

As for Dax, Dax was the Symbiont.  Jadzia was the humanoid host, but she was, indeed, Trill and not Human.

Also, the first appearance of the Trill didn't have spots.  They had a forehead bump thingamajig.  I'm guess when they decided to make a primary female character into a Trill, they wanted to make her more attractive, so they took the spots from another one-off species (don't remember which one; I know, turn in my command pips) and retconned it to be for the Trill.

Edited by PokerPacker

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Just been reflecting. 

I think they did a lot of character development in Discovery 3.  (First season of the show I've really liked )

So I researched the actor who played Grey, and learned something else that apparently missed me. 

Supposedly, Adira is "non binary" and Grey is trans?  (As is the actor who plays Grey.)  

In a way, I'm really glad that I didn't know. I mean, I liked the fact that Trek pushed for social justice. I admired the way they would sometimes put political commentary in the show. But, I hated being beaten over the head with it in "Save the Whales"  

There were times where it would occur to me that I wasn't sure if Adira was male or female. But it also wasn't important to the show, either. 

And I absolutely think that's the way it should be handled in the show. Unless or until it's important to an episode, who cares?  

Opinions?

Season 3 was the best of the show. It finally found its footing.  As for Adria; the fact she is trans isn’t a big deal.

9 hours ago, Larry said:

Just been reflecting. 

Opinions?

Completely agree.

Calling it out the way they do it kills it for me. Going back through all the iterations, it was obvious Roddenberry believe and supported social justice, but never threw it in your face which is what made people think. One episode that always struck me as demonstrating this was the episode "let this be your last battlefield"

Now, even though I do like Discovery, whenever something is "thrown in our faces" I get alittle more disappointed in the show and it's writers.

Kinda the same way George Takei was when the new Star Trek made Sulu gay...

• 1 month later...