Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

Me, I've been liking some of "the TNG nostalgia tour". 

But really, I'm getting tired of people just finding complete starships that just happen to be unused, but completely ready for use. By a crew of 6. 

And the after credit villain?  Lame. Let him alone. 

• Haha 1

I would like a show picking up right after this. Discovery is going into its final year. SNW is starting up soon. They need 4 live action shows rotating year round to make it worth paramount +. The post-TNG time line is cool with me. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:08 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

One more thing. Section 31 will be the first of many movies on Paramount+. They hope to do a movie in the STU every couple of years. 

Wish this was a show and not a movie. 

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I would like a show picking up right after this. Discovery is going into its final year. SNW is starting up soon. They need 4 live action shows rotating year round to make it worth paramount +. The post-TNG time line is cool with me. 

Wish this was a show and not a movie. 

Not happening. They are going pull back  some. Probably only go with one or two live action show per year.

55 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Not happening. They are going pull back  some. Probably only go with one or two live action show per year.

Missing an opportunity there. Building a series of sets that can be updated and moved around for multiple shows with production going year around. People are into the streaming series'

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Missing an opportunity there. Building a series of sets that can be updated and moved around for multiple shows with production going year around. People are into the streaming series'

Paramount is losing money with the streaming, so they looking to cut back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Aren't they merging with another one? 

Well, ****. 

That’s Discovery and HBOMax.

Think they will focus on movies. SNW did get a Season 3 but I think that will be it and the same for the next seasons of the 2 Trek cartoons: Lower Decks and    Prodigy.

• Thumb down 1

8 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

But how do you do a DS9 movie without Odo?

While I personally wouldn't recast him, but, he's one character that you can change the actor for and have it explained away in-universe without problem.  Hey, he finally learned how to imitate humanoid noses!  In fact, he went full Bajoran!

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched the SNW opener.  And I've got a complaint.  

I'm putting it in spoilers, even though I'm pretty sure it's already been shown in the trailers.  

Spoiler

For those who missed it, Enterprise season 4 actually had a two-part episode that explained away why Kirk's Klingons didn't look like the Klingons from The Motion Picture onward.  

In the episode, Klingons kidnap Dr Phlox, and force him to help them with a problem they're having.  

It seems that the Klingons had heard about Earth's problems with augments.  A genetic alteration that produces people who are vastly stronger, vastly more inteligent.  But also more confrontational.  More homicidal and aggressive.  And the Klingons didn't have a problem with that.   

The Klingons decided to experiment with creating Klingon augments.  

Since they didn't want to simply alter Klingon DNA, and then wait 20 years for the subjects to grow to maturity, they developed a virus that would enter a Klingon host, and modify the host's DNA.  Producing mature augments in a vastly reduced time.  

Since the argument DNA came from humans, and was dominant (of course), over time the alteration also changed the subject's appearance, making him look more human.  

The virus mutated (or was altered by the captive augments?) and became airborne transmissible.  The virus is now spreading through the Klingon empire.  

The Klingons are fighting the spread of the virus, the way Klingons deal with infection.  When there's an outbreak, they sterilize the affected city or planet from orbit.  But, the virus has a long incubation period.  And when there are suspicions of an outbreak, individual houses are working to get their house members off planet before sterilization.  

And, destroying entire cities or planets to fight a disease gets to be costly, very quickly.  

The Klingon Doctor who kidnapped Phlox wants Phlox to help him come up with a cure for the augment disease.  

The end resolution is that Phlox developed something that wasn't a cure, but it did halt the progression of the disease at the first stage.  

In short, Enterprise established as cannon that "Kirk's Klingons" are Klingons who have been altered by the augment virus.  Phlox's cure has halted the disease at the first stage - altered appearance.  But they're not augment Klingons.  

Supposedly, some time between TOS and TMP, the Klingons developed a full reversal, allowing TMP Klingons to "look like Klingons" again.  

I thought it was a really creative way of explaining away a continuity hole that the series had had for some time.  

Except, now we have a SNW episode.  Set squarely between Enterprise and TOS.  

The Klingons should have looked like Kirk's Klingons.

Also:

Spoiler

I'm getting really tired of people stealing Starfleet ships.  First time it happened, in Search for Spock, I could see explaining it away with "It had the virtue of never having been tried."  But folks, it seems like it's happening every couple of years.  Starfleet seems to just plain not have a problem with officers ignoring orders.  

On 4/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, The 12th Commandment said:

There have been a bunch of Spocks now.  Hard to argue that Odo is more central to things than Spock.  I wonder wether we'd get the same Sisko.  Avery Brooks is pretty particular about what he'll work on.  I'd sure hope so.

I’m available!!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just watched the SNW opener.  And I've got a complaint.  

I'm putting it in spoilers, even though I'm pretty sure it's already been shown in the trailers.  

Reveal hidden contents

For those who missed it, Enterprise season 4 actually had a two-part episode that explained away why Kirk's Klingons didn't look like the Klingons from The Motion Picture onward.  

In the episode, Klingons kidnap Dr Phlox, and force him to help them with a problem they're having.  

It seems that the Klingons had heard about Earth's problems with augments.  A genetic alteration that produces people who are vastly stronger, vastly more inteligent.  But also more confrontational.  More homicidal and aggressive.  And the Klingons didn't have a problem with that.   

The Klingons decided to experiment with creating Klingon augments.  

Since they didn't want to simply alter Klingon DNA, and then wait 20 years for the subjects to grow to maturity, they developed a virus that would enter a Klingon host, and modify the host's DNA.  Producing mature augments in a vastly reduced time.  

Since the argument DNA came from humans, and was dominant (of course), over time the alteration also changed the subject's appearance, making him look more human.  

The virus mutated (or was altered by the captive augments?) and became airborne transmissible.  The virus is now spreading through the Klingon empire.  

The Klingons are fighting the spread of the virus, the way Klingons deal with infection.  When there's an outbreak, they sterilize the affected city or planet from orbit.  But, the virus has a long incubation period.  And when there are suspicions of an outbreak, individual houses are working to get their house members off planet before sterilization.  

And, destroying entire cities or planets to fight a disease gets to be costly, very quickly.  

The Klingon Doctor who kidnapped Phlox wants Phlox to help him come up with a cure for the augment disease.  

The end resolution is that Phlox developed something that wasn't a cure, but it did halt the progression of the disease at the first stage.  

In short, Enterprise established as cannon that "Kirk's Klingons" are Klingons who have been altered by the augment virus.  Phlox's cure has halted the disease at the first stage - altered appearance.  But they're not augment Klingons.  

Supposedly, some time between TOS and TMP, the Klingons developed a full reversal, allowing TMP Klingons to "look like Klingons" again.  

I thought it was a really creative way of explaining away a continuity hole that the series had had for some time.  

Except, now we have a SNW episode.  Set squarely between Enterprise and TOS.  

The Klingons should have looked like Kirk's Klingons.

Also:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm getting really tired of people stealing Starfleet ships.  First time it happened, in Search for Spock, I could see explaining it away with "It had the virtue of never having been tried."  But folks, it seems like it's happening every couple of years.  Starfleet seems to just plain not have a problem with officers ignoring orders.  

I liked the episode.

Spoiler

The Klingon thing didn’t bother me. When you making a prequel series, you aren’t likely sticking to everything that occurred in TOS.  Especially a series made 50 years later.   Kirk is appearing this season, bound to ruffle the cannon sticklers. 

Oh, I love Nurse Chappel.

I'm not going to try to nitpick everything that isn't completely identical. 

For example, the fact that the bridge is not identical?  I'm cool with that. I think they struck a decent balance between throwback and new. (In fact, there's been times where I think they've tried too hard to throw in too many TOS Easter eggs.)

I just think that there's some continuity problems that are too big to ignore. 

Jim Kirk had never heard of a Gorn. 

I'm OK with the Gorn not looking like a guy in a rubber suit. 

I got a problem with them just plain being stolen from Alien.

And I've got a problem with whoever seems to believe that Star Trek must always have a war going on. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I'm not going to try to nitpick everything that isn't completely identical. 

For example, the fact that the bridge is not identical?  I'm cool with that. I whine they struck a decent balance between throwback and new. (In fact, there's been times where I think they've tried too hard to throw in too many TOS Easter eggs.)

I just think that there's some continuity problems that are too big to ignore. 

Jim Kirk had never heard of a Gorn. 

I'm OK with the Gorn not looking like a guy in a rubber suit. 

I got a problem with them just plain being stolen from Alien.

And I've got a problem with whoever seems to believe that Star Trek must always have a war going on. 

It seems like everything has to have a war nowadays. It provides an easy series of storylines, action scenes, and it always allows one of the main characters to say something like “If we can just win this damn war!”.

I’m definitely kind of over it as a plot device, but I also can’t seem to stop watching shows/movies that use it.🙄

I watched it last night. Was really tired so might need to watch again. But I enjoyed how the season is kicking off. The effects for TV shows are movie quality these days, so I appreciate that. The opening scene outside Starbase 1 was cool.

Also, La'an is badass. 

I was surprised this wasn't a stand-alone episode. I thought that was the point of this show. Like the old school format. Most would be their own thing where every episode wraps up something at the end. This has a ton going on still.