Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

Caught up on Strange New Worlds again. And a thought is nagging at me. 

It's about the Gorn. 

I know, all we saw of them in TOS was Bill Shatner wrestling with a guy in a rubber suit, who was moving like a statue. 

But still. 

It bothers me that the show's Big Villains are so much like Alien. 

And this is coming from someone who seriously misses TOS's cardboard Bad Guys, the Klingons. I miss the folks who would spout Bad Guy dialogue while twirling their Fu Manchu mustaches. And who did bad things, simply because they were bad. 

And yet, these simple Movie Monsters?  Bother me. 

Maybe it's a continuity thing. Yeah, Captain Kirk had never heard what a Gorn was, and here Archer has met them, and Pike has spent a season with them, and had crew members from their planets. 

But if I had a major problem with continuity holes, I wouldn't be a Trekkie. Or watched Obi Wan Kenobi. 

But, I think my problem is continuity, of a different kind. 

I wish they had just given their monsters a different name. 

But then, knowing Paramount, they probably figured if they gave them a different name, they get sued by Aliens. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, they should have named them something else. Also, the dude who got killed and the one who asked for mental health leave were great characters. Sucks that they are gone, and I am worried it was done to replace them with original series characters, which is sacrificing good TV for fan servicing. I like how they have upgraded Chapel, and Spock was in Pike's crew, but I really don't want them putting in Scotty and Kirk, in which case this just degrades into an origin story series. The characters are so much better than anything since TNG.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the series finale. 

I was cringing at the thought that they were going to blow up a TOS surprise. But I loved the way they did it. 

Spoiler

And I loved the way they did an "alternate time line" story, where they know it's an alternate time line. And their job is to not fix it. 

I don't think I like their Captain Kirk, though. Don't know why, but I kept seeing Howard Starke. And I think the character seems more flippant that determined. 

And I liked the ending. Possible story for a next season. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

Strange New Worlds had such great characters, it annoys me that they seem to be getting rid of so many of them to make room for the entry of TOS characters. I like Pike's crew; it's such a waste to get rid of engaging characters so they can replace them with Kirk, Scott, McCoy et al.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Picard’s final season started this week. Basically, a next generation reunion.

Here’s an interesting rumor for the stuck in limbo Star Trek 4. Still in the Kelvin timeline but rumored to intro some Next Generation characters with new actors of course. Possibly, setting up for new set of Next Generation movies with a new cast in the Kevin timeline.

Since Star Trek 4 is in development hell, this isn’t happening but I could see a Next Generation movie reboot with a new cast.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of mixed on Discovery.  

My intro to it was watching a "season" of 10 episodes, then wait a year and a half, to see the next "season", which, by the way, would launch with a reboot of the show, which they would spend the first 5 episodes telling you about.  

The last two seasons?  (Haven't finished watching the most recent.  I'm going through it).  (Just finished watching what I am going to permanently label as "The 2001 episode".)  It's growing one me.  I'm enjoying them introducing new, young, inexperienced characters, and watching them grow and discover.  I find that I tend to be drawn to what I think of as "character growth episodes".  

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Picard. 

There's parts of it I like. I'm really liking the "other starship captain", Shaw. Particularly his reveal of his animosity. 

I'm enjoying some of the "characters revealing that they had pains when they were all being buddies on TNG". Even more than the nostalgia, the growth or revelation. 

But like most Trek. If I think about it?

We're doing a "lizard people are taking over Earth" story. Really?  I mean, TNG already did that one. Jonathan Frakes ought to remember it, since he ate a handful of live worms, on camera, for a scene they decided not to use, for it. 

And the One Guy who can save humanity, the One Guy who got accidentally given the magic glasses, or who got zapped by the electric charge through the pay phone, and who happens to be the only human who can tell who the imposters are?  Just happens to be the new character we introduced, and the love child of two of the stars?  The superhuman who has The Power?  

And then I think that well, Beverley already had a superhuman child. Gee, maybe the TNG Reunion Show can have Acting Ensign Crusher Save The Ship?  (I've just now seen "leaks", saying that no, he's not showing up. But still.)

Still. I think I've hit on my problem. It's the phrase "if you think about it". 

I'm not a fan of Discovery, average acting and storyline. On the other hand season 3 of STP is interesting, wish they would have focused on Seven's story from Voyager to now.

Overall none of these series match the original one nor STNG, DS9, and Voyager.