Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I was surprised this wasn't a stand-alone episode. I thought that was the point of this show. Like the old school format. Most would be their own thing where every episode wraps up something at the end. This has a ton going on still. 

Well, . . . 

Let's face it.  One of the longstanding complaints about TOS (and all television at the time) was that nothing ever happens.  

Yeah, we might have had 5(?) episodes where we thought Captain Kirk was killed.  But we all knew that in reality, it would never happen to anybody other than redshirts, or somebody who one of the stars met at the beginning of the episode and immediately fell in love with.  

The first TV show I can think of, that broke that rule, was Hill Street Blues.  And I loved it for that.  (IMO, one of the best TV series ever.)  

I like the fact that some things will carry over to later episodes.  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, . . . 

Let's face it.  One of the longstanding complaints about TOS (and all television at the time) was that nothing ever happens.  

Yeah, we might have had 5(?) episodes where we thought Captain Kirk was killed.  But we all knew that in reality, it would never happen to anybody other than redshirts, or somebody who one of the stars met at the beginning of the episode and immediately fell in love with.  

The first TV show I can think of, that broke that rule, was Hill Street Blues.  And I loved it for that.  (IMO, one of the best TV series ever.)  

I like the fact that some things will carry over to later episodes.  

I'm with you on that. I'm talking about like TNG. As you're developing characters. Each episode can also stand alone. When they announced this show, they said it would be like that and not like Discovery or Picard. That's all I was pointing out.

I'm happy with this. 

I didn't think the S2E1 was nearly as good as most of season 1 episodes.  Also, it will be a real letdown if Carol Kane's character becomes the new chief engineer.  I quite liked the blind Andorrian who was the engineer in S1, and figured they killed him off and got rid of Number One to make room for Scotty and Kirk.  Personally I think that's weak fan servicing - both SNW characters were engaging in their own right.  Just not feeling it with the Carole Kane centuries old alien.

Also, while the scene homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark was fine, I am not at all happy with the green juice fight scene that seems lifted straight out of comic books. Please don't repeat that in future episodes.

With regards to the Klingons, I was always happy with Roddenberry's explanation: They always looked like that... now we have the budget to show it.  I don't recall who I heard the idea from first, but in the DS9 episode where they went back to Kirk's day (Trials and Tribbulations), rather than Worf stating the differed appearance is not discussed with outsiders, it would have been more fun for them to put Michael Dorn in a classic Klingon makeup and have nobody acknowledge the difference.

• Like 1

Question for the Trekkies.  

In the opening credits for SNW, they show several closeups of various parts of the ship.  The front of the warp nacelles.  Deflector dish.  The impulse exhausts.  

And they show some curved metal structure, with a pair of blue lights illuminating it.  

WTF is that thing?  I don't recognize it.  

0:22 in this video.  

27 minutes ago, Larry said:

Question for the Trekkies.  

In the opening credits for SNW, they show several closeups of various parts of the ship.  The front of the warp nacelles.  Deflector dish.  The impulse exhausts.  

And they show some curved metal structure, with a pair of blue lights illuminating it.  

WTF is that thing?  I don't recognize it.  

0:22 in this video.  

Looks like the right warp nacell from the top.  The little handlebar lookin thingy on the left you can see at 1:18.

Just speculating...not really a Trekie anymore.  STD and Piccard were awful and I lost interest.

1 hour ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Just speculating...not really a Trekie anymore.  STD and Piccard were awful and I lost interest.

False.  You're still a Trekkie, it's just this ain't trek anymore.  Although I've heard very good things about Picard season 3 from people who've despised everything else in Kurtzman land, including Picard seasons 1 & 2.

• Thumb up 1

I never watched Tos but loved Tng.

I'm into the new movies and Snw and i never realized that Tng created data's character to replicate spok.

I think my love of data's character is definitely making me a bigger fan of spok.

Strange new worlds is a great series.

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Just saw episode 2 of Season 2 of SNW. Now this is Star Trek. Great episode.

I've been going through Discovery, cheated a bit, and watched the first couple of episodes of SNW. Those episodes definitely reminded me a LOT of TOS.

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Just saw episode 2 of Season 2 of SNW. Now this is Star Trek. Great episode.

My favorite's still 1:5, Spock Amok. This one seemed a bit too much on finding a technicality. Although there certainly were character revelations. 

Spoiler

I also think they aired things in the wrong sequence. I mean, 

1) We're having courtroom scenes about the defense questioning April about ignoring rule violations. 
2). And featuring Lieutenant Noonian-Sing as a defense character witness

...one week after the Enterprise is stolen, to rescue Sing from her mission into Klingon space. 

And not mentioning it?  

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Was it that bad?

No. The producers are in post production for Season 2.  They will

shop the 2 seasons around.

Paramount+ is merging with Showtime.

They are bleeding money, which is why they are cutting back.

I’d expect the other toon, Lower Decks to get the ax. It wouldn’t surprise me to see SNW end after season 3.

1)  Far be it from me to tell Paramount Pictures how to make shows.  But I can't help noticing, every time I watch the credits for SNW, that the show makes 10 episodes a season, and has like 9 Executive Producers.  

2)  Please, please, please, Disney.  

Really liked this SNW. Still not as good as "Spock Amok". But very good. Yeah, I had a few problems with it. But tons of the character development that I really enjoy. And some incredibly good acting. 

I'd really love to see 25 episodes a year. Maybe for several years. 

And I liked some of the unexpected plot twists. At least some of them. 

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Really liked this SNW. Still not as good as "Spock Amok". But very good. Yeah, I had a few problems with it. But tons of the character development that I really enjoy. And some incredibly good acting. 

I'd really love to see 25 episodes a year. Maybe for several years. 

And I liked some of the unexpected plot twists. At least some of them. 

25 episodes?  Not happening.

6 to 13 will be the norm for streaming.

As usual I am late to this party, but I am really enjoying SNW. 
I think Anson Mount is great as Pike, and he is able to more than make up for any weaknesses in other cast members. (I don't much like Una, not for the character, but the actress isn't doing it for me)
Pike is every bit as Jim Kirk as Jim Kirk isn't yet (in the timeline.) And really,  top marks for his pompadour; It is impressive.
Spock is outstanding, played well, and an excellent job of showing him in an earlier stage of life, still at odds with himself. The heat between he and Nurse Chapel is interesting, since it always seemed to me to be a secret longing of hers. (But i can see how they can build to it.)
I like the younger Uhura, the helmsman who's name I forget
As of today I just finished episode 1 of season 2, and I believe in one of my accidental looks into this thread a few days ago, (trying to avoid spoilers) one of you said Episode 2 was the best Star Trek episode they'd ever seen. (Larry, was that you? If so, that is HIGH praise indeed.)
So I am really looking forward to watching that tonight. 

I love the visual of the show, the bridge is terrific. They use the bright bold color of the old 60s technicolor, and it really works for me. They don't mute any colors, they compliment them with other things and it makes the entire screen a visual treat.

~Bang

50 minutes ago, Bang said:

one of you said Episode 2 was the best Star Trek episode they'd ever seen. (Larry, was that you? If so, that is HIGH praise indeed.)

My favorite is still 1:4. Spock Amok.  There were just so many character themes in it. There's Spock's human/Vulcan conflict. There's Spock and his GF having to do each other's jobs, and dealing with work/family conflicts. 

And I loved "Enterprise Bingo" and "where fun goes to die". 

Yes, IMO, 2:2 and 2:3 are almost as good. 

And yes. I like Pike's hair. And Ortegas. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1