Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

• 4 weeks later...

Admission - I was never a fan of DS9 and lost track of it after season 2 or 3.

But I've been watching some of the later episodes every night or so and stumbled across an amazing episode (The visitor)....probably a top 10 of all ST episodes imo. 

But..

It creates an interesting conversation that.. had Captain Sisko not survived the 2nd time through, Jadzia Dax would have lived a very long life.

9 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I haven't seen Season 2 yet but I've heard great things about it. Comes out on Blu Ray in Nov I think -- can't wait. 

Discovery started out poor. It took watching the entire season to figure out what they were doing. Season 2 was much better. Now that they are in the future, it should have better stories now.

I hope they do a Captain Pike series.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Admission - I was never a fan of DS9 and lost track of it after season 2 or 3.

But I've been watching some of the later episodes every night or so and stumbled across an amazing episode (The visitor)....probably a top 10 of all ST episodes imo.

😨😨 I always knew there was something wrong with you but at least you’re trying to improve yourself. So, that’s something I suppose.😉

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I've been watching ST:D S2 on Blu ray...6 episodes in...um...when's this thing wake up? Honestly the first episodes were pretty

boring, other than the stuff that happened to Tilly and the hints at Spock. 

I think Season 2 was solid. Especially the final 3 episodes or so when things got intense. 

20 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I've been watching ST:D S2 on Blu ray...6 episodes in...um...when's this thing wake up? Honestly the first episodes were pretty

boring, other than the stuff that happened to Tilly and the hints at Spock. 

Boy is my face red...Episodes 7 and 8 were some of the best things I've seen on TV this year. Wow the cast of this show is UNBELIEVABLE. Even supporting
cast members like Anthony Rapp (Stamets) and Mary Wiseman (Tilly) are so good they could carry the show themselves. Then when you get to Martin-Green (Burnham),

Mount (Pike) and Peck (Spock), well, this might be the strongest cast a Star Trek show has had, ever. Including TOS, which was, of course, legendary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Boy is my face red...Episodes 7 and 8 were some of the best things I've seen on TV this year. Wow the cast of this show is UNBELIEVABLE. Even supporting
cast members like Anthony Rapp (Stamets) and Mary Wiseman (Tilly) are so good they could carry the show themselves. Then when you get to Martin-Green (Burnham),

Mount (Pike) and Peck (Spock), well, this might be the strongest cast a Star Trek show has had, ever. Including TOS, which was, of course, legendary.

I like the Pike character. Would like to see them do like a mini-series or something with his Enterprise.

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Where was Pike introduced before? Wasn't he in Star Trek: Into Darkness as Kirk's mentor (then he dies)?

He was the original Captain before Kirk in the original series. They put the character in the reboot movies 1 and 2 and he died there. Then they brought back him in Discovery for a pre-original series version.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, Mournblade said:

Where was Pike introduced before? Wasn't he in Star Trek: Into Darkness as Kirk's mentor (then he dies)?

Did you check out Short Treks.  Those are mini episodes, related to Discovery.  There were 4 last season and 2 or 3 have aired for this year, so far.

I want a Captain Pike series.  Yes, we know the end of Captain Pike's story but a show of the PRe-Kirk Enterprise would be great.   Ethan Peck does a good job as Spock.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, Mournblade said:

Pike was actually the captain in the original Star Trek pilot. His character literally existed before Kirk. The pilot got picked up but the executives didn't like the Captain so they got Shatner to replace him. I think Nimoy was in the original pilot. @Larry probably knows if any of the other originals were part of the pilot cast.

Majel Barrett played "Number One" as well in the original Star Trek pilot.  Bit of back and forth as to why Hunter wasn't hired to play in the second pilot of the show though. Gene said it was his decision and Hunter and a couple of others say it was his. Good to see that they've decided to delve more in to that character after all of these years. :) 

7 hours ago, Burgold said:

Pike was actually the captain in the original Star Trek pilot. His character literally existed before Kirk. The pilot got picked up but the executives didn't like the Captain so they got Shatner to replace him. I think Nimoy was in the original pilot. @Larry probably knows if any of the other originals were part of the pilot cast.

@PCS beat me to it, but yes, Majel Barret was Number One in the pilot. 

In the pilot, Spock was just a guy who looked different. (Hence the big grin with the musical plants). Number One was supposed to be cold and emotionless. According to Roddenberry, the studio had a problem with a woman being second in command, "and get rid of the guy with the ears", and Roddenberry decided to combine the characters. 

Guys, the ending of ST:D S2 had me confused:

** SPOILERS BELOW **

Why did the Discovery need to follow Burnham into the future, when Control-Leyland was destroyed aboard the Discovery and Section 31's fleet is destroyed as well?

Wasn't that the whole point of Discovery fleeing? To escape Control-Leyland and Section 31?

There you go, trying to pay attention to the plot. In Star Trek. :) 

Spoiler

I think the theory was that Control had infiltrated so many Federation systems that it was undefeatable. It had become the Terminators. Even if you change history and prevent Judgement Day, it just happens again, down the road. 

But supposedly, if it doesn't get this one thing, then it's defeated. And if it's 300 years in the future, then that's too late and it can't get there. 

• Thanks 1