Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Me, I'd stick with each series in its entirety. They actually tried to keep barriers between the concurrent series, so that one series wouldn't constrain the other. So while there might be some overlap in timelines, it's not important to the plot. 

Analogy:. Just because two movies might have both happened during WW2, doesn't mean you have to switch back and forth between the movies. 

Thanks Larry!  I figured that would be the best way to watch them.  Just wanted to make sure they weren't crossing over so much that I'd need to watch one episode, then another on this show, etc.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:55 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So I posted a while back that I was going to watch all the series and movies in order of when they took place on the timeline.  Well I finished up Enterprise a while back, actually I loved it.  Started the original series and remembered some of the episodes (from watching re-runs as a kid), got through the first season and decided I'd skip on to TNG.  I'd already seen all the movies that took place after the OS prior to TNG.  Also skipping the animated series.  Decided to just watch in the order of the shows, movies at release now.  

Currently in season 6 of TNG and am really enjoying it.  Not sure why I never gave it a chance when it first aired.  I watched some episodes of it and Deep Space 9 only because my roommate watched it in college.  Can't wait to finish it up and watch TNG movies.  

Noticing that DS9 starts right where I'm at in TNG (Season 6) and overlaps for two seasons and Voyager starting during season 3 of DS9 and TNG movies being spread out overlapping both DS9 and Voyager, what order should I watch them in?  Or does that really matter?

Should I just finish TNG and those movies.  Then start DS9, finish it.  Then Voyager and finish it.  

It is cooler to watch the seasons in chronological order because of a few guest appearances here and there, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter that much.  You will string it all together in the end either way.

TNG was an awesome show.  I liked DS9 just a little more.  Like you I grew up on the original series, but despite it's charm and classic characters it is hard to get past just how dated the special effects, props, and sets are, so I understand why you skipped a couple seasons.

Edited by Ron78
  • Like 1

Interesting look at Star Treks that could've been, even how the original show might have been; had the original pilot been picked up.

18 Star Trek Screen Projects That Never Happened

Also, just a reminder Star Trek: Discovery will premiere on CBS tomorrow around 8:30pm before heading to their CBS ALL-Access channel the following week.  Since my roommate actually watches alot of CBS's shows; he got the All-Access channel.  I guess CBS no longer airs their shows on HULU or their website for free.   If this works, the other networks may do the same thing. -_-

They're running a Star Trek marathon on BBC America right now.  Some good episodes I haven't seen in years.

Right now they're airing the Devil in the Darkness about the Horta silica based life form.   "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Interesting look at Star Treks that could've been, even how the original show might have been; had the original pilot been picked up.

18 Star Trek Screen Projects That Never Happened

Also, just a reminder Star Trek: Discovery will premiere on CBS tomorrow around 8:30pm before heading to their CBS ALL-Access channel the following week.  Since my roommate actually watches alot of CBS's shows; he got the All-Access channel.  I guess CBS no longer airs their shows on HULU or their website for free.   If this works, the other networks may do the same thing. -_-

You can still watch re-runs from any of the other Star Trek shows on Hulu.  Just this new one is exclusively on CBS All Access.  There is no way I am going to line CBS' pockets for pulling this crap.  I have zero interest in paying extra for what I don't even really think looks like a great product.  What a way to gouge a loyal fan base.

13 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

You can still watch re-runs from any of the other Star Trek shows on Hulu.  Just this new one is exclusively on CBS All Access.  There is no way I am going to line CBS' pockets for pulling this crap.  I have zero interest in paying extra for what I don't even really think looks like a great product.  What a way to gouge a loyal fan base.

That will eventually change.

Disney is setting up their own streaming service, so all their movies will be on that.  Eventually, TV will too.

7 hours ago, China said:

They're running a Star Trek marathon on BBC America right now.  Some good episodes I haven't seen in years.

Right now they're airing the Devil in the Darkness about the Horta silica based life form.   "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

I just watched that episode on ME TV earlier today.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah that's going to suck. Netflix is already losing a ton of content and becoming more and more original content. Soon that'll be all they have 

Gotta respect the people running Netflix for recognizing what was to come and getting ahead of it by offering quality original content.

• Like 1

Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu have all been offering original content for several years, so I guess they all saw the writing on the wall. 

Personally,  I think the networks contracting all their stuff out to a few providers (Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime) is a better idea than all of them having their own on demand channels.  Who is going to pay for all of them?  Sales are probably not going to be as strong as they want.

Edited by Ron78

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Listen to the game on radio, I watched the first episode of STD.  It was alright. The second episode is available on CBS All-Access.

It was an even bigger piece of garbage than I thought it was going to be.  No way I would pay for that.

I don't have to open my wallet. :rofl89:My roommate watches alot of CBS shows; so he already did. 

I was doing 3 things at once while watching.  Watching the Discovery premiere. Doing some work, I work from home. Listen to the Skins game on my pc.

I don't know if I will like main character. Will have to wait and see.  Definitely, don't care for the look of the Klingons.

Whether this works or not, we will find out.

21 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Thanks to CBS's handling of events, my DVR missed the final 20 minutes or whatever of the episode that was supposed to convince me to pay them money for the privilege of continuing to watch the show with commercials.  Needless to say, I have not found my wallet opening itself.

It was awful.  No chance I would pay to see anymore of that.  Those Klingons were bad comedy.

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

I didn't mind the Klingons.  They've changed before and I don't think these bald more alien ones were the worst.  I wish they had hair though.

I think this is by far the least consistent version of Klingons we have ever seen.  The Enterprise show did it's best to explain the discrepency between the original series Klingons and the others.  There is nothing that makes sense about these new Klingons though.

Just an open letter to CBS, et al.  

Background:  About me.  

I'm a Trekkie.  From Day One.  

I watched Captain Kirk when he wasn't a rerun.  

I own four Starfleet uniforms.  And have worn them.  In public.  (And I don't just mean at conventions.)  

I own the original editions of the Star Fleet Technical Manual, and the Star Trek Blueprints.  I have owned (but don't have any more) a set of rubber Spock ears.  

I have bought The Original Series five times.  (On VHS, DVD, HD DVD, the remastered DVDs, and Blu Ray.)  I've watched The Original Series on film, at conventions.  

I have watched every Star Trek series since.  (Although I've only bought TNG and Enterprise.)  I've seen every Star Trek movie on the day of it's release.  (I was one of the three fans who managed to be at the premiere of The Motion Picture, in Washington DC, and the reception at the Air and Space Museum.)  (Exception:  When JJ Abrams' Star Trek Zero came out, I was caring for my mother, and could not justify leaving her home alone so I could go see a movie.  I streamed a pirate version at home.  And bought a ticket at my local theater, even though I couldn't go, so that Paramount got their money for it.)  I've probably bought 50 tickets, over the years, for my friends to see the movies.  

Odds are, there's more loyal Star Trek customers than me, out there.  But it's a safe bet that there aren't many.  

I have not seen the pilot episode of the new series.  (I was working when it aired, and do not have an over-the-air DVR).  And it looks like I'm not going to.  

I'd like to.  Frankly, the teasers I've seen for the show have made me think that I'll hate it.  But the enjoyment I've received from Trek over the years has made me willing to extend some trust.  My plan was that I'd go online, pay $25 or whatever it is, stream a month or so, and decide whether I wanted to continue.  

But then, none of the devices I have connected to my TVs is capable of receiving your stream.  

I can pay $25 and watch it on my phone.  Or my computer.  But I'm not willing to spend that money, just to watch it on those tiny screens.  

Or I can buy a new device to attach to my TV.  

I'm willing to spend $25, to watch the first four episodes or so.  I'm not willing to spend $150.  

I'll watch The Orville.  On Hulu.  Which I'm already paying for, and which my existing devices will play.  On my TV.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

They don't give a rats ass.  All they are interested in, is getting people to buy CBS All-Access.  They figure with the fanbase that Trek has, enough of them would pay for the service.

I think that's where they will find out, they are wrong.  I read where Discovery is already one of the most pirated shows out there.  That's what probably going to happen; most people who want to see it; will see it through pirated means.

I remember, when I started the original post 3 years ago; I was asking if the time was right for a new Trek series.  Changed the focus to all things Trek.  Well we got the series, too bad greed has prevent it from being available to everyone.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 1:32 AM, PokerPacker said:

Thanks to CBS's handling of events, my DVR missed the final 20 minutes or whatever of the episode

Same here. I turned on the DVR recording, and it's friggin' Oprah on 60 minutes or something.

I just deleted it and figured I'd suffer thru the commercials with on demand, but it's not available.

FU CBS.

• Haha 1

I had the two day trial for CBS All Access app, tried to watch it on my Roku and kept getting playback errors every time I selected the show.  I'd hit watch, it would give me a message "Watch from beginning" or "Resume", I'd hit either one of those and it would give me an error message saying there was an error playing back the show.  It did that on every single show in their library, not just Discovery.

Came downstairs and added it on my daughters Nvidia Shield TV and it worked.  But I had things to do (this was yesterday) so I didn't watch it.  Pretty ticked off about it not working on my Roku player as I'd rather watch it in my man cave anyhow.  And the CBS app isn't available on my 60" Samsung TV in the living room.  At this point, I still have plenty of Star Trek to watch (getting ready to start the final season of TNG), then TNG movies, followed by DS9 and Voyager.

I'm in no rush.  I'll hold out until the entire season of Discovery is finished and they fix their **** app with Roku.  Then pay $9.99 and binge watch it, then cancel before getting charged another month.  It's basically how we are watching other shows on pay channels now (we pay for one at a time - binge watch for a month, cancel the sub, rotate out between HBO, Showtime, Starz).  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro