Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm in no rush.  I'll hold out until the entire season of Discovery is finished and they fix their **** app with Roku.  Then pay $9.99 and binge watch it, then cancel before getting charged another month.  It's basically how we are watching other shows on pay channels now (we pay for one at a time - binge watch for a month, cancel the sub, rotate out between HBO, Showtime, Starz). 

I've read something about them not keeping full seasons on there.  Might be trying to avoid people binging and purging (pun intended)

23 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I've read something about them not keeping full seasons on there.  Might be trying to avoid people binging and purging (pun intended)

Even more reason to not pay for it now.  If they are that money hungry, **** em.  I was willing to pay $10/month and watch it weekly when released, but their app sucks on Roku.  Glad I cancelled my 2 day trial (another joke) so I didn't get charged.  

Are they trying everything to piss off fans?  I know a lot are upset about it being a pay model to begin with, I wasn't at first.  But if they are going to remove content to prevent binge watching, they can go **** themselves.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 9:12 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Definitely, a different type of Star Trek.

Yeah. It made me think they were going for a Trek version Rouge One. More war & grit story wise while being all Apple Store/JJ Abrams shiny new high techy looking at the same time. 

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Even more reason to not pay for it now.  If they are that money hungry, **** em.  I was willing to pay $10/month and watch it weekly when released, but their app sucks on Roku.  Glad I cancelled my 2 day trial (another joke) so I didn't get charged.  

Are they trying everything to piss off fans?  I know a lot are upset about it being a pay model to begin with, I wasn't at first.  But if they are going to remove content to prevent binge watching, they can go **** themselves.

They want you to buy the DVD/Blue-Ray.

3 hours ago, TK said:

Yeah. It made me think they were going for a Trek version Rouge One. More war & grit story wise while being all Apple Store/JJ Abrams shiny new high techy looking at the same time. 

Actually, the war and grit might make it more interesting.

Thing is other than Michael; we really haven't seen the permanent cast yet.  I think the firing of Bryan Fuller ****ed things up from the original direction. They probably had to change things on the fly and that didn't work out so well.  The first 2 episodes should've introduced you to the permanent cast. It was basically, Michael's back story.  Other than the war with the Klingons, not sure what they show is really about.  I've seen enough to make me watch but they did a poor job of introducing the show.  Especially, if you want people to pay for it. There wasn't enough there to make people do that.

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

They want you to buy the DVD/Blue-Ray.

I'm sure they do.  At the end of the day though, regardless of what model the following in the beginning, I will almost 100% guarantee that they will put the entire season(s) on their app once sales start slowing down (DVD/Blu-Ray, iTunes, Vudu, subscriptions, etc.). 

Probably even make a point when they advertise it, like, "For the first time ever, we are making all episodes and all seasons of Star Trek Discovery available on the CBS All Access app with a monthly subscription of only $9.99".  

22 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I liked the first episode.  But if CBS thinks they're gonna get people to pay for one show essentially, they're nuts.

one show and reruns.  oh boy!  :ols:

What they're going to find is that a lot of people are going to figure out how to watch it online or not at all. 

• Like 1

Happy 30th Birthday to Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It premiered the week of Sept. 28, 1987.  Lived in West Virginia then, so had to wait until the weekend.

Took the show 3 seasons to get it's footing but it's success is why Star Trek continued with 2 more shows and now Discovery and the 4 Next Gen movies and 3 current movies.

• Like 1

Episode 3 of STD was a little better.  I've seen enough to watch the whole season, but still not sure what this show is about.  Is it a war show?  The life of Michael Burnham?  Also, still haven't find the characters to be likeable.  Episode 3 is where we see, the permanent cast.

Why they didn't show this in the premiere is beyond me.

14 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Episode 3 of STD was a little better.  I've seen enough to watch the whole season, but still not sure what this show is about.  Is it a war show?  The life of Michael Burnham?  Also, still haven't find the characters to be likeable.  Episode 3 is where we see, the permanent cast.

Why they didn't show this in the premiere is beyond me.

Episode three straight up stole the plot line of Doom 3.  It was fun but how is this Star Trek?  

40 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

What, was there a transporter accident that resulted in beaming demons aboard the ship?

Spoiler

They were researching a new means of travel could instantly take them to anywhere.  They described this new space through which they would pass as muscle and connective tissue of the universe (think to what teleportation looked like in doom 3).  Then the ship researching it had an accident causing everyone aboard to die.  Their bodies were horribly disfigured and often just pile of skin.  The power is off so the boarding party is prowling around with hand held flashlights.  Apparently  everything didn't die like that because they find Klingon bodies that have been ripped and torn.... because there's a huge monster that looks like it was ripped straight out of the game tearing through locked metal doors.  The crew manage to escape and the ship is torpedoed into oblivion... but the sinister captain saves the research and the monster for further study.  

It's as close to Doom 3 as you can get without saying hell and still pretending it's star trek.  

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Reveal hidden contents

They were researching a new means of travel could instantly take them to anywhere.  They described this new space through which they would pass as muscle and connective tissue of the universe (think to what teleportation looked like in doom 3).  Then the ship researching it had an accident causing everyone aboard to die.  Their bodies were horribly disfigured and often just pile of skin.  The power is off so the boarding party is prowling around with hand held flashlights.  Apparently  everything didn't die like that because they find Klingon bodies that have been ripped and torn.... because there's a huge monster that looks like it was ripped straight out of the game tearing through locked metal doors.  The crew manage to escape and the ship is torpedoed into oblivion... but the sinister captain saves the research and the monster for further study.  

It's as close to Doom 3 as you can get without saying hell and still pretending it's star trek.  

Well it doesn't take place on Mars, does it?  (or better yet, Phobos, making it the original Doom)

Just now, PokerPacker said:

Well it doesn't take place on Mars, does it?  (or better yet, Phobos, making it the original Doom)

No it takes place on the star ship Glenn.  There's a Preston Glenn in Doom 3, he's a scientist that has misgivings about the research they have him working on that wants to leave.  He doesn't and turns into a monster.  Maybe that's a coincidence but given the plot, maybe a writer bought Doom 3 on a steam sale. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Destino said:

No it takes place on the star ship Glenn.  There's a Preston Glenn in Doom 3, he's a scientist that has misgivings about the research they have him working on that wants to leave.  He doesn't and turns into a monster.  Maybe that's a coincidence but given the plot, maybe a writer bought Doom 3 on a steam sale. 

The funny part is that Doom 3 itself was a pretty big departure from the spirit of the Doom series.  Granted it didn't quite have a semi-century under its belt at the time like Star Trek has now.

Finished up TNG and all four TNG movies.  I really enjoyed that series/cast, with exception of Insurrection being almost unwatchable, thank goodness Nemesis was really good.  Started watching DS9, it's starting to grow on me a little, but I don't think it will be as good as TNG.  Hopefully it will get better once Worf joins the show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Finished up TNG and all four TNG movies.  I really enjoyed that series/cast, with exception of Insurrection being almost unwatchable, thank goodness Nemesis was really good.  Started watching DS9, it's starting to grow on me a little, but I don't think it will be as good as TNG.  Hopefully it will get better once Worf joins the show.

Most people dislike Nemesis, but it is the only TNG movie I liked. 

Definitely give DS9 a chance.  It really picks up in the later seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

DS 9 is better, a lot better than TNG (attempted to repair a lot of the really stupid notions TNG tried to propagate).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1