Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

I first started watching TOS in reruns in the mid to late 70s when I was maybe 10 years old. In my area it aired in the afternoons after school. We only had one TV back then and my grandmother immediately started complaining about the "crazy foolishness'" I was watching on TV. After about 3 or 4 days of watching it after school, I decided to go outside and play (a foreign concept to today's rugrats?) one day since I knew I'd be seeing these episodes over and over again after a while. On my way out my grandmother says "Please turn on my show on your way out." I died laughing.

What an incredible show that the themes were universal enough that an elderly black lady with a limited Jim Crow education and life experiences could enjoy it as much as anyone else.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:14 PM, The Sisko said:

I first started watching TOS in reruns in the mid to late 70s when I was maybe 10 years old. In my area it aired in the afternoons after school. We only had one TV back then and my grandmother immediately started complaining about the "crazy foolishness'" I was watching on TV. After about 3 or 4 days of watching it after school, I decided to go outside and play (a foreign concept to today's rugrats?) one day since I knew I'd be seeing these episodes over and over again after a while. On my way out my grandmother says "Please turn on my show on your way out." I died laughing.

What an incredible show that the themes were universal enough that an elderly black lady with a limited Jim Crow education and life experiences could enjoy it as much as anyone else.

May Scottish grandparents introduced this show to me that was in 1969.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 9:38 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, they lost the showrunner Bryan Fuller.  A little news on some of the characters to be cast.

http://screencrush.com/star-trek-discovery-cast-klingon-gay-actor/?trackback=fbshare

Confused - a Klingon Captain? (of the Federation Star Ship??) And this is set 10 years prior to Kirk becoming a captain???  They need to fire the writers if that is the plot. It would be the equivalent of having a Soviet Captain of an American Nuclear Submarine in the late 1950s. 

Damn Just watched one of the previews.  That ship looks more like a Klingon Battle Cruiser than a Federation Starship. What the hell this looks like it is turning into a complete abortion.

Edited by nonniey

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw Star Trek: Beyond (it was in-flight entertainment, so I didn't spend any money on it).

Terrible movie.  I'll use the spoiler tag just because I don't want to make choices for others, but if you haven't seen the movie already and you're on the fence about it, I really don't think you'll care about the spoilers because you probably won't care for the movie.  anyways...

Seriously, what a vapid excuse for a plot.  A swarm of ships controlled by radio (why do they bother with pilots if they're a radio-controlled swarm, and why are they using regular ****ing radio signals if they're technologically advanced) can apparently just smash through the enterprise or a space station and come out none the worse for the wear and easily destroy the ship (has the destruction of the Enterprise happened enough times in the movies?).  And these same swarm ships are entirely capable of tearing through the space station.  Yet for some reason, they need to steal an ancient artifact in order to release it into the space station to kill people when they could just swarm it to death without alerting and invoking the ire of the super-hero Enterprise crew?

And of course with the Enterprise so easily put out of commission, the crew just happens to stumble on a ship that crashed 150 years ago and get it in perfect working order in a matter of, what, hours?  Scotty may be talented, but even with a full engineering crew working on the ship they're intimately familiar with, repairs can take quite some time.

And speaking of radio controlled ships, are you ****ing kidding me with using the ****ing Beastie Boys as Deus Ex Machina to destroy the entire enemy fleet?  Seriously, that was an actual thing that happened in something titled 'Star Trek'?

And of course we had, yet again, just another villain bent on vengeance.  You know, like Kahn in Into Darkness.  And tattooed bald Romulan guy from 2009.  And Kahn in Wrath of Kahn.  Now that I think about it, was Wrath Of Kahn the only one of the not-reboot movies starring a villain bent on revenge?  First Contact had a protagonist that let revenge get the best of him.

You know, I give the first two movies of the reboot a lot of crap for not being very Star Trek, but at least they could be enjoyable as summer action flicks if you ignore the fact that they're supposed to be Star Trek.  But this one just fell so flat even as that, in my opinion.  I didn't find myself at all engaged in the action sequences, the plot was nonsensical, and the dialogue really brought nothing to the table.

Edited by PokerPacker

• 3 weeks later...

Not a Trekie by any means.  I remember watching the original series re-broadcasts on Saturdays as a kid along with just about all the movies over the years (probably missed a couple in the Next Generation).  And watched some Deep Space Nine (is that the one with the borg?)  in college here and there as my roommate was a trekie.  

Anyhow, I've decided to watch all of them (movies included) in chronological order (show timeline - not actual release dates).  Been watching Enterprise the past few days.  So could someone with more knowledge than myself list out all the shows/movies in order to watch them?  I know Enterprise takes place long before the original series, so I started there.  I'm assuming that the movies (with exception to the reboots) tie into the order as well.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 2:14 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Not a Trekie by any means.  I remember watching the original series re-broadcasts on Saturdays as a kid along with just about all the movies over the years (probably missed a couple in the Next Generation).  And watched some Deep Space Nine (is that the one with the borg?)  in college here and there as my roommate was a trekie.  

Anyhow, I've decided to watch all of them (movies included) in chronological order (show timeline - not actual release dates).  Been watching Enterprise the past few days.  So could someone with more knowledge than myself list out all the shows/movies in order to watch them?  I know Enterprise takes place long before the original series, so I started there.  I'm assuming that the movies (with exception to the reboots) tie into the order as well.  

Voyager is the one with the borg.

As for chronological order, I believe it should go:
Enterprise

The Original Series

The Animated Series

Star Trek 1-6

Next Generation

Deep Space 9

Voyager (Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager all took place in the same era; not 100% sure of full chronological order, but Next Gen should be before DS9)

Generations

First Contact

Insurrection

Nemesis

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like J.J. Trek: The TV Show.  Complete with those awful Klingon designs.

Guess I should have expected that, but I keep forgetting that Alex Kurtzman is producing it.  Seen nothing in that trailer to give me any reason to believe it'll be anything other than his usual tripe.

Yeah the trailer for Discovery didn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

The key for a Star Trek TV series is that the leads need to be compelling. Shatner, DeKelly and Nimoy had such

awesome chemistry together and that chemistry is largely what made the Original Series successful. 

So its going to be interesting to see how the leads fare in the Discovery series. 

• Like 1