Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

ixcuincle

I don't think it was in jest. Rule of 3 is pretty true, and inevitable

What? No it's not. It's not a real thing. People die all the time and many people are "famous" for wildly different reasons and to different degrees.

The rule of 3 isn't real and is obnoxious to bring up especially in a thread where everyone else is mourning the loss of a talented actor.

He was good in Boogie Nights too.  I think what I liked about him is he convincingly played very different types of people in movies, everything from the silly Along Came Polly to Doubt and then of course, Capote.  

It's a shame he couldn't stay away from using.  

What? No it's not. It's not a real thing. People die all the time and many people are "famous" for wildly different reasons and to different degrees.

The rule of 3 isn't real and is obnoxious to bring up especially in a thread where everyone else is mourning the loss of a talented actor.

Wow dude.... Overreact a bit?

Guess the Wall Street journal was being obnoxious when they discussed these 3 talented people passing in relation to this very thing?

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-2485

There have only been a couple of famous deaths that have really affected me and this is one, along with Heath Ledger, Layne Staley and Dimebag Darrell Abott.

I argued with many people over the years that did not like PSH's roles. They thought he was gross or mean. I always tried to explain to them that he was doing a fantastic job, especially, if they felt such emotional feelings towards him. I loved to hate some of his roles but I was in reality. I knew he was doing a tremendous job and I respected him for it.

I certainly will miss him. I am not aware of any demons he had because I am not at tune with celebrity gossip, but I will say that he was one of my favorites.

It really sucks when someone is lost that you had a ton of respect for. I thought he was a great artist and I hope he is remembered as such.

Almost any actor that forces you to have an emotional response towards there character is doing a great job. This is all news to me and he will be missed.

I tend to agree. Perhaps a subject for a different thread though. Drug illness is a sad thing that effects a lot o people in many different manners.

I wrote a long spiel that I decided to not post. Basically, being an ex-hard drug user (big enfaces on ex), current alcohol abuser and someone that has fought depression for 6-7 years, it is really really hard. I know, I am looking for help......always. I get it professionally now, but....It is really tough, especially when you see non-sufferers call you weak and selfish.

It hurts even more when so many people you know don't understand. They just think you are weak, and all you want is an arm around your back saying you are a fantastic person and they will help you make it through.

I will never damn anyone going through any kind of emotionally instability again!

Funny how things change when you are affected.

Well said Fetus.

I never got the calling of those people "selfish." To me it seems like THAT person that says that is the selfish one. People have no idea what kind of pain people are in that causes those drastic actions. Sure sometimes it could be due to bad decisions that lead to addiction, but most of the time it stems from emotional instability. And the only thing that can kill the pain, even if just temporarily, are those substances. It's a double edged sword, and a tragic situation to be in.

Doesn't deserve judgement at all, imo. Just hopes that they get the help they need.

I wrote a long spiel that I decided to not post. Basically, being an ex-hard drug user (big enfaces on ex), current alcohol abuser and someone that has fought depression for 6-7 years,

If you ever need anything and you are around MD, let me know. I'll help if I can. People get crazy. We need to support each other

Thanks STBonecrusher21 and sherrardsd. I live in Alabama, if that is not depressing enough, hahaha... but yeah, I used to be one of those guys that thought people were weak. I really thought I could overcome anything. I thought people were selfish and the whole nine yards....

In fact, it took me a long time to ask for help because I thought I was better than that. Boy, was I wrong! I really wish there is a magical pill to make it all better.

It is amazing how much we 'know,' especially in the absence of information. I am always amazed at how much people can formulate opinions based on limited knowledge. I still formulate my opinions much the same way, but i try not to take it to a personnel level. It is still something I have to improve on.

Well said Fetus.

I never got the calling of those people "selfish." To me it seems like THAT person that says that is the selfish one. People have no idea what kind of pain people are in that causes those drastic actions. Sure sometimes it could be due to bad decisions that lead to addiction, but most of the time it stems from emotional instability. And the only thing that can kill the pain, even if just temporarily, are those substances. It's a double edged sword, and a tragic situation to be in.

Doesn't deserve judgement at all, imo. Just hopes that they get the help they need.

Not only is it a double edged sword, but eventually it becomes an endless cycle. Hate life/emotional instability/whatever ---> Use to relieve it ---> using adds to hating life/emotional instability/whatever ---> hate life/emotional instability/whatever ---> use to relieve it ---> on and on and on.  

But yeah FSAF, I understand totally where you're at, where you've been, where you're going. Been there myself, am there myself, and will always be there. Unfortunately it runs in the family, both sides (just my luck) and I fell right into it. My advice (and actually, I think I might have told you this before. I told someone on here), the best thing is to have as many people as possible that you feel comfortable telling it to. It being you feeling like you're about to fall off the cliff. Personal example, I've been on my way to do whatever, minutes away, and called someone close to me and just told them. Makes it feel like the weight of the world has come off your shoulders. Really does feel like you got it out of your system just be talking. So yeah, even with you in Alabama, the great thing about the Internet, no matter where we all are, we are also all right here. So **** it, PM one of us if it ever gets to a point like that. Promise it'll help.

Archived