Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Someone will always be working these low wage jobs. I read a CEPR report that showed how the median age for low wage earners has gone up despite an increase in education level amongst this group.

We as a society need people to do these jobs and always will. Its unfortunate that we are okay with corporations and business screwing them over. Hard to escape poverty when you're basically trapped into it.

how are they trapped by the business when people advance past those jobs all the time?

Reducing the opportunity in certain demographics seems more like trapping to me.

I suppose the question is whether making it so that people can afford basic dignity with a 40 hour workweek is a worthwhile policy goal.

I suppose the question is whether making it so that people can afford basic dignity with a 40 hour workweek is a worthwhile policy goal.

Minimum + the earned income credit= living wage already....Dignity and it's sources are a whole different topic

but feel free to avoid the trapped question

I think people can work their way up as long as they want to.  And if they are still working for MW after several years, they need to reevaluate the decisions they are making.  And if they are making MW, get rid of your ****ING IPHONE!!

My father passed away when I was a kid.  My mom had 3 kids to raise of which I am the youngest.  The highest grade of school I ever completed was the 8th grade.  I got my GED and went to work.  I am now 32 and my bring home pay every month is around $7k.  I stumbled along the way but I got up and went back to work.  If I can do it, anyone can (within reason).

I wonder if there is a stat out there that shows how many people advance up the ladder within the company they are working for opposed to how many have to leave the company to take a better position in another company, and if that has changed at all over the years.

It seems like a lot of companies I have worked for tend to hire 90% of the management/supervisory positions from outside the company, even when they have folks on the workforce that have been there for years and seem a perfect fit for that role. And I am not talking elevated management, but even positions as barely elevated as a team lead.

I remember when I worked for a big box top retail store in their distribution center, Team Leads/Supervisors pretty much came exclusively straight out of a bachelor's degree program, many with some kind of military experience or background.  I think of the 15 team leads, 2 had been promoted from within.

I wonder if there is a stat out there that shows how many people advance up the ladder within the company they are working for opposed to how many have to leave the company to take a better position in another company, and if that has changed at all over the years.

Depends on the company, having been an IBM'er twice and the child of an IBM'er I group up watching growth from within.

Working for a smaller, billion dollar software firm their management typically came from outside the company.  The reason being they would hire someone from say an Oracle who had done 10 biillion in business to try and grow a billion dollar business.  There are pros and cons from goiing internal/external.

Are you a boy or a girl? :)

neither :P

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel right now,

A) impressed at your consistency for not even giving a straight answer to such a basic question

B.) depressed that you won't even give a straight answer to such a basic question

C) some mix of sheer aggrevation from the two above

or

D) resignation that you'll just continue to pick at everyone else while offering up nothing substantive of your own lest it serve to nail you down at a later date....even your gender.

neither :P

:) ok then, moving on.... Do you have a socioeconomic status?

I think we can agree on one thing - the word "trapped" is not helpful. It communicates a sense of finality and suggests that dynamics of individuals, opportunities, etc. are simpler than they are.

I suppose "trapped" is the leftist alternative to rightist idea of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. It is only true for a small number of people...

Maybe we can agree that all people work within the opportunities they get and can always do more with more opportunities.

:) ok then, moving on.... Do you have a socioeconomic status?

I think we can agree on one thing - the word "trapped" is not helpful. It communicates a sense of finality and suggests that dynamics of individuals, opportunities, etc. are simpler than they are.

I suppose "trapped" is the leftist alternative to rightist idea of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. It is only true for a small number of people...

Maybe we can agree that all people work within the opportunities they get and can always do more with more opportunities.

Pulling one self up by one's own bootstraps is entirely impossible. Imagine a child born and then abandoned seconds later.  If no one cared for him his chance of survival is zero.  Everyone requires aid or assistance at some point.  Whether it's food, shelter, a military to keep you safe, roads to carry your goods, a teacher to give you some basic skills.  The most independent person alive is quite dependent. 

Pulling one self up by one's own bootstraps is entirely impossible. Imagine a child born and then abandoned seconds later.  If no one cared for him his chance of survival is zero.  Everyone requires aid or assistance at some point.  Whether it's food, shelter, a military to keep you safe, roads to carry your goods, a teacher to give you some basic skills.  The most independent person alive is quite dependent. 

You are sounding like Obama now.

The most successful people in America got there more through hard work and endurance than a helping hand.

I certainly agree, and feel raising the minimum limits opportunity to those that truly need it.

I agree not everyone gets the same opportunities,I certainly wouldn't have minded having some of ya'lls.

Burgold, being dependent should be a transitional state

I certainly agree, and feel raising the minimum limits opportunity to those that truly need it.

I agree not everyone gets the same opportunities,I certainly wouldn't have minded having some of ya'lls.

Dunno... it should certainly be relativistic, but today, I am financially independent, right?  I still depend on farmers to grow food or I'd starve.  I still depend on police to keep me safe.  I still depend on utilities to provide me electricity.  I still depend on courts.  I still depend on family for emotional support, etc.

Even when I was a freelancer or ran my own business, the number of people I depended on was huge.  Hell, I depended on people to honor their contracts in a reasonable time frame.

Heck, I even depend on you to pay your taxes so that cumulatively these services get paid for.

add

if you transition you instead ENABLE all those things you mentioned

some people will certainly never grow up mentally or otherwise and will require aid....that aid is not best done thru minimum wage hikes imo

The most successful people in America got there more through hard work and endurance than a helping hand.

This attitude really annoys me. I know that pretty much no one is successful without hard work but it's ignorant to completely ignore the "helping hands" that all successful people have. I'm not sure if people don't realize it when others are helping them or if I am just totally ignorant and there are these super heroes out there paving their way through this world with no assistance from anyone.

It seems to me people always give themselves too much credit and everyone else too little.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel right now,

I would hope relieved I wished to avoid a useless sidetrack.

gender certainly did not limit my sister, nor my daughter to minimum wage....probably because they were taught they could do as much or more than their brothers.

they are certainly different though  :D

If you need my life story I can share it, but it ain't real interesting or a easy road though

You can't change your circumstances?

I have only been trapped by those I allowed

While we agree that you're awesome, for the rest of humanity there are a number of cognitive and emotional risks to the developing brain associated with growing up in poverty. That's one way that people get "trapped", to some extent.

It might be true that we'll never eliminate poverty completely, but that doesn't mean that we can't do a better job than we're doing. Looking toward the examples set by countries that do it better than we do seems like the right thing to do, don't you think?

Dunno... it should certainly be relativistic, but today, I am financially independent, right?  I still depend on farmers to grow food or I'd starve.  I still depend on police to keep me safe.  I still depend on utilities to provide me electricity.  I still depend on courts.  I still depend on family for emotional support, etc.

Even when I was a freelancer or ran my own business, the number of people I depended on was huge.  Hell, I depended on people to honor their contracts in a reasonable time frame.

Heck, I even depend on you to pay your taxes so that cumulatively these services get paid for.

Yeah and we all intend on the earth being here tomorrow.

Now that we all have the same tools, lets discuss how we use the tools that we have to be successful.  Of course you can't do it if the world ceases to exist.  B)

I mean in america we all pretty much rely on the same basic infrastructure.  You have to start with SOME baseline.

Archived