Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So is the game plan to raise MW and drop government aid by the same amount as their increased income?

There are rules for what happens, to aid, if your income goes up.

I have no clue what such rules are. But, based on my opinion of government, I assume they're complicated and stupid.

There are rules for what happens, to aid, if your income goes up.

I have no clue what such rules are. But, based on my opinion of government, I assume they're complicated and stupid.

And I think that's the main thing: Regardless of what MW is, make sure the single mother of 3 gets enough aid to make ends meet.  I applaud her for not just sitting on her ass and going on welfare.  If she has to take a second job, then she's not getting enough aid.  A mother not being around her kids because she has to work a second job does this country no good.

Having people work for less than a living wage or in bad conditions are modern versions of slavery. Nobody should be entitled to treat people that way.

That's right. Healthcare, a living wage, education, are all basic human rights. You are fighting for entitlements if you want to deny your fellow human beings these basic rights.

Do you think that you are entitled to exploit other people so that you can get your mcchicken for $1?

Unless you're talking about Chick-Fil-A, Ritas or Starbucks, which go out of their way to employ kids, I call shenanigans. Everyone else is hiring adults for the same jobs and have been for a long time. The same goes for Arnold, Severna Park, Pasadena, Glen Burnie, etc.....

Any day you want to meet at a fast food restaurant call me.  You can pay for my lunch while we are counting the kids.

Panera's a good company to work for, I've got one friend who is a GM, and one friend who left a pizza place I regularly order from to go there for more money. Their focus is more on the quality of their product than their profits...I know of 2 stores that give their leftovers to food banks at the end of the day. Good for your daughter...a quick raise is a sure sign she should go to college for HRM! :)

It ended up being a great first job for her.  Yes, every evening she helped bag up all the leftovers and hand the food over to charity.  Then she mopped and slaved like she should :)

Which would happen. I stated earlier in the thread what would happen. Part time help for more of my employees.

You will also find that this practice has diminishing returns, your bottom line (payroll) may look better on paper but your productivity will begin to drop, as you will not be able to retain employees, and as you begin competing with your employees' other employers for their work time.

You will also find that this practice has diminishing returns, your bottom line (payroll) may look better on paper but your productivity will begin to drop, as you will not be able to retain employees, and as you begin competing with your employees' other employers for their work time.

If that was true, then why isn't that happening to every company with part time employees currently

Businesses will make the decision whether the loss of production and employees is worth cutting hours.

I haven't seen any concrete evidence what the result will be.

If the market will bear more part timers, then that's what we will see.

But, don't you understand?

Employers like cyclops don't decide how many employees they pay, based on the minimum number of employees it takes, to get the job done.

They hire employees they don't need. Because of their generous nature.

And, if the min wage goes up, then they'll just have to get rid of the employees that they used to be paying, even though they didn't need them.

And, if the min wage goes up, then they'll just have to get rid of the employees that they used to be paying, even though they didn't need them.

I know you are being sarcastic, and you are partially correct.  However, if paying the new wages means a loss and the company is no longer profitable, something will change :)  That's not to mean layoffs will occur, but they might.  That's not to say the $1 menu will go away but it might.  Every business will make a different business decision.  I can tell you in my business I know the first employee that would go if the economy forced it.  It doesn't mean he wasn't a value add, it just means he is the least necessary in order to continue.

If that was true, then why isn't that happening to every company with part time employees currentlyBusinesses will make the decision whether the loss of production and employees is worth cutting hours.I haven't seen any concrete evidence what the result will be.If the market will bear more part timers, then that's what we will see.

Some companies just need part time help, but replacing full time help in a small business is a bit silly since the tasks an employer needs completed take a certain amount of time, dividing that time up between multiple minimum wage employees still results in the tasks taking longer (given transition time etc) thus costing the employer more. If this was going to be your practice wouldn't make more sense to put the full time employees on salary at a competitive rate thus ensuring consistent productivity, and reduced turn-over, not to mention building trust and loyalty in your employees?

And I think that's the main thing: Regardless of what MW is, make sure the single mother of 3 gets enough aid to make ends meet. I applaud her for not just sitting on her ass and going on welfare. If she has to take a second job, then she's not getting enough aid. A mother not being around her kids because she has to work a second job does this country no good.

I agree with this to a large extent but certain people are going to say "well if she couldn't afford to take care of children she shouldn't have had them". And I don't think that idea is totally wrong.

In a perfect world every parent should be able to give effort(work full time) and by doing so make enough to feed, clothe, and spend time with his/her children. But at the same time, personal responsibility has to be taken into account somehow. If you can't afford 2 children, don't have a third. But uneducated people will continue to have children they can't afford to take care of, so what do we do as a society?

I honestly have no idea how to find a balance between the two. I understand that everyone should be responsible with their body and there is no excuse to be having many children if you can't afford it. But I also know that these things happen and there is nothing I can do about it. I think as a society we should care a little more about trying to support the children and in that essence I think giving aid to a single mother working full time is much more beneficial to society than having her work 60 hrs a week and leave the children alone.

Also, if raising the minimum wage is going to destroy small businesses, how do they survive in states with higher minimum wages like Oregon and Washington (both over $9 an hour)?

Some companies just need part time help, but replacing full time help in a small business is a bit silly since the tasks an employer needs completed take a certain amount of time, dividing that time up between multiple minimum wage employees still results in the tasks taking longer (given transition time etc) thus costing the employer more. If this was going to be your practice wouldn't make more sense to put the full time employees on salary at a competitive rate thus ensuring consistent productivity, and reduced turn-over, not to mention building trust and loyalty in your employees?

There are full time employees on this board who are posting on this board during work hours and probably messing around a fair portion of time.  As employers we know who they are.  We may overlook it in good times. 

There are full time employees on this board who are posting on this board during work hours and probably messing around a fair portion of time.  As employers we know who they are.  We may overlook it in good times.

I've been cut back...taking it in stride...looking for a job with more shifts available, east side of Atlanta, please.

Sound familiar?

Why?

Why?  Because maybe times are good.  Maybe they take workload off of others.  You can't make thinks black and white.  I have employees that are overworked, bringing in help seems like a good thing.  The new hire takes some of the load off of another employee.  But if costs get tight, employees are expendable.

There is some dead weight in every organization.

I've been cut back...taking it in stride...looking for a job with more shifts available, east side of Atlanta, please.

Sound familiar?

Not familiar with Atlanta area, sorry to hear that.

Well, we've raised the min wage, before. And I think the result was "not much changed".

what did change though?

http://www.epionline.org/study/minimum-wages-and-the-business-cycle-does-a-wage-hike-hurt-more-in-a-weak-economy/

over the past two decades, each ten percent increase in the minimum wage has reduced employed for less-educated young adults by as much as 2.3 percent. However, this top-line result masks important variation in the effects of the minimum wage that depends on the economy.

For instance, in tight labor markets – when prime-age (age 25-54) male unemployment is below five percent – the minimum wage reduces employment for young drop-outs by roughly two percent.  However, in weak labor markets — when the prime-age male unemployment jumps above eight percent – the impact of a higher minimum wage more than doubles. Specifically, each 10 percent minimum wage increase reduces employment for young drop-outs by over four percent.

If marginal businesses are predominately in low income areas the impact will be even greater for them, 

Moral of the story from twa: repeal the minimum the wage and employ everyone at 50 cents per hour.

Yay no more unemployment!!!!!

Problem solved!!!!

BTW, twa if you ever start to get your information from places other than Conservative Think Tanks (i.e. Lobbyists) I think I'll probably die of shock!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Policies_Institute

Moral of the story from twa: repeal the minimum the wage and employ everyone at 50 cents per hour.

Yay no more unemployment!!!!!

Problem solved!!!!

moral from ASF Gimme mine ,**** them.  :P

My morals say get a education.skills and make the right choices and you won't need to worry about minimum wage....just about the govt 

Archived