Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Who is actually working for minimum wage? My 16 year old daughter would have loved 52K a year when she got her job at Panera Bread working the cash register. It didn't take her long to get her first raise.

All this talk about minimum wage, who actually works minimum wage jobs? I think my daughter was paid fine for what she did.

Wow.

We've got the "increasing the minimum wage only affects people making the minimum wage" meme, the "anybody who works at that job doesn't deserve more" meme, and the "let's exaggerate what we're talking about to ludicrous proportions, and pretend that's what people are talking about" technique. And that's just in the first paragraph.

----------

Don't know why I'm going to pretend that this is an honest question, but here goes:

Are 30 year olds working minimum wage jobs?

Yes.

(Counting down to "well, then, **** 'em" in 5 . . . 4 . . . )

Wow.

We've got the "increasing the minimum wage only affects people making the minimum wage" meme, the "anybody who works at that job doesn't deserve more" meme, and the "let's exaggerate what we're talking about to ludicrous proportions, and pretend that's what people are talking about" technique. And that's just in the first paragraph.

----------

Don't know why I'm going to pretend that this is an honest question, but here goes:

Yes.

(Counting down to "well, then, **** 'em" in 5 . . . 4 . . . )

Honestly I don't know.  I guess living in the DC/MD/VA area with lots of opportunity...Even my daughter wasn't on minimum wage for long.

When I was a kid I never worked minimum wage.  I think when minimum wage was $3.25 an hour I got a job as part of a union at the Capital Center making $7.00 an hour.  I was just serving food.

Sorry and just to clarify, my question is who is making minimum wage?  Is there a link with a census?

Who is actually working for minimum wage? My 16 year old daughter would have loved 52K a year when she got her job at Panera Bread working the cash register. It didn't take her long to get her first raise.

All this talk about minimum wage, who actually works minimum wage jobs? I think my daughter was paid fine for what she did. Are 30 year olds working minimum wage jobs?

Fine, not many adults are working for exactly minimum wage, however there are millions working for 25-75 cents over minimum wage, getting massive 5-10 cent annual raises. I posted the challenge earlier that went unanswered, go out to eat lunch at ANY fast-food restaurant on a weekday and count the number of employees. You want to know how many workers would be significantly affected by a minimum wage hike? Then take the number you just counted and multiply by the number of McDonalds nationwide....just for starters.

The attitude towards poor, low wage workers in this country is really distrubing, Not too long ago I had someone tell me with a straight face that pan handlers make around $60,000 per year on average. I didn't know what to do; laugh, shake my head or ridicule them for being so ****ing stupid.

The attitude towards poor, low wage workers in this country is really distrubing, Not too long ago I had someone tell me with a straight face that pan handlers make around $60,000 per year on average. I didn't know what to do; laugh, shake my head or ridicule them for being so ****ing stupid.

Its equaled by the amount of hate disdain and animosity toward corporations and business owners. 

Im not sure when success became such a bad thing.

Fine, not many adults are working for exactly minimum wage, however there are millions working for 25-75 cents over minimum wage, getting massive 5-10 cent annual raises. I posted the challenge earlier that went unanswered, go out to eat lunch at ANY fast-food restaurant on a weekday and count the number of employees. You want to know how many workers would be significantly affected by a minimum wage hike? Then take the number you just counted and multiply by the number of McDonalds nationwide....just for starters.

Well where I live most fast food workers are kids, one used to be my daughter.  She didn't need $10 an hour.  I honestly never see an adult serve me at a fast food place.  But I live in an area with lots of opportunity for work.

More often than not in MD/DC/VA fast food places are being manned by hispanics, many who don't speak very good english.

I imagine if you live in Kentucky, if it's any place like my family in Tennessee, if you want to earn a "living wage" you need to move to someplace with an economy that can support it.

Agree I've seen very differing demographics.

When I was a teen in Fairfax, like 3/4 of the folks at McD were kids who had cars, and who wanted gas and party money. At Pizza Hut, it was more like 1/2 were teens, and the other half (many of which were managers) were supporting themselves.

In the 90's, in Norman, Oklahoma, almost everybody at McD was trying to support themselves, although maybe 1/3 were supporting themselves while going to school. But maybe 2/3 of them? It was their career.

Now, I suspect the differing demographics are more due to the location, than to the change in time. But I have nothing on which to base that.

Now, I suspect the differing demographics are more due to the location, than to the change in time. But I have nothing on which to base that.

Larry I think you are missing the point... People are worth what the market will pay them.. period...

Mentaly challenged folks get $2.....

Ladies are going to have to get comfortable making 70% on the dollar what males make...

Minorities I don't know 50% depending upon general dimenor

Children under 10 probable $0.45 per hour

Backing up this entire system is the US governments who's food stamps and medicare services make this economic model viable... That and our taxes. Middle Class get's soaked again.

We are being told that's the American way even though no living American has ever experienced such a model...

Its equaled by the amount of hate disdain and animosity toward corporations and business owners. 

I don't think anyone hates corporations themselves but most of the anger is towards the fact that the game is really skewed to one end. It's not fair to paint all business owners with a broad brush but the major corporations in this country are absolutely ****ing over a good portion of the population. At the same time, they've practically bought out politicians on both sides of the aisle.

The poor on the other hand have no one backing them up, no political pull and in some cases (freepers) are even fighting against their own self interest.

Well where I live most fast food workers are kids, one used to be my daughter. She didn't need $10 an hour. I honestly never see an adult serve me at a fast food place. But I live in an area with lots of opportunity for work.

More often than not in MD/DC/VA fast food places are being manned by hispanics, many who don't speak very good english.

I imagine if you live in Kentucky, if it's any place like my family in Tennessee, if you want to earn a "living wage" you need to move to someplace with an economy that can support it.

Any weekday that school is in session at lunch time.

Post your numbers.

It's a bad thing when these corporations have the power to purchase votes and essentially dictate policy. That is where the animosity comes in. It's not exactly surprising that profit is up and real wages are down when they wield that power.

I do not understand why this country is so interested in corporate welfare. Policy is, and will continue to be, in their favor as long as elected officials are bought and paid for. 

When people started defending people like in the OP, by referring to them as "success"? :)

It's a bad thing when these corporations have the power to purchase votes and essentially dictate policy. That is where the animosity comes in. It's not exactly surprising that profit is up and real wages are down when they wield that power.

I do not understand why this country is so interested in corporate welfare. Policy is, and will continue to be, in their favor as long as elected officials are bought and paid for. 

It's always been that way. 

What we need to do is get corporations and small businesses to create more jobs and reverse the trend of sending jobs overseas.

Nearly half of those people working at 2am also have a high school education or less.

In this area, it is generally immigrants who likely come from really poor backgrounds in third world countries. Now it's up to us as a society to determine if we want to give everyone a fair chance at pulling themselves out of poverty or continue with our current model which is obviously failing.

First, how much more time do you need to think? I'm sure Walmart loves the delay while we "think" about this since they profit more every day from the delay.

Second, define what you mean by "large corps."

Sure they do, what you and Michelle Bachmann would have us believe is that the unemployed would love a job paying 50 cents per hour.

Spell out what you're pointing at here.

Are you talking about Walmart?

About raising the M wage overall? none, it is a bad idea

I would say 50 employees would be a good line

.50 is nothing but a distraction....as is Bachman

Raising the overall M wage would benefit big corps while harming small employers and harm entry level hiring(which is already a challenge with all the regs) making the problem worse.

Of course they can always get a loan to go to college or trade school right? :rolleyes:

you talk of how it will not harm the Corps yet the vast majority of minimum wage earners work for small businesses....try talking about the impact there.(both in jobs lost and competition)

Yes Walmart/Apple and I think Target are throwing out hiring the long-term unemployed as a cookie to reduce the heat.

Any weekday that school is in session at lunch time.

Post your numbers.

ASF, I know the census, they are all kids or hispanics.  A few managers.  The local chic fil a probably has 2 adults and 7 kids?

How much should an 18 year old kid be paid?  Should my daughter have made a living wage for her first job?

ASF, I know the census, they are all kids or hispanics.  A few managers.  The local chic fil a probably has 2 adults and 7 kids?

How much should an 18 year old kid be paid?  Should my daughter have made a living wage for her first job?

Majority of the people earning minimum wage are not 18 year olds. Why do you keep dodging this statistic?

In this area, it is generally immigrants who likely come from really poor backgrounds in third world countries. Now it's up to us as a society to determine if we want to give everyone a fair chance at pulling themselves out of poverty or continue with our current model which is obviously failing.

Those type of people I agree to raising the raising the wage. To people who are born in the US with less than a high school education running a cash register yes. 

No. She is not supporting a family. Its some extra spending cash. If she would like to make some more money there is certainly ways to move up in the company before moving on to school or career. I recently had a college age student come up to ownership asking for more money to accommodate his living costs at school now that he is paying a rent. He had been MW since he joined the company 2-3 year prior. Over that time period he had gone above and beyond what management/ownership expects some one like him to learn. So we bumped him up to $9 D/H.

I think any business that employees more than just the owner should be considered a small business.  Just the owner is more of a contractor.

What about 50-75 employees? 

I really think people expect ownership for these non-cooperate companies to take home 100% of the profits every quarter/Year.

Why don't you pay attention to my posts.  He asked who is working in the fast food places around me.  Kk thanks!

Then why do you keep posing this hypothetical: "Should my daughter have made a living wage for her first job?"

That has nothing to do with your local fast food joints and everything to do with this meme: "mostly teenagers work minimum wage jobs and don't deserve pay raises". You know that too.

Archived