Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yep

Maybe they needed to branch out

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-immigration-raid-part-of-multistate-human-5188938.php?cmpid=hpts

"You have two businesses, two placement agencies, that in essence built a business model where the commodity was illegal workers," said Brian Moskowitz, special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Houston. "They acquired and delivered illegal workers to greedy restaurant owners around the country."

Maybe they needed to branch out

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-immigration-raid-part-of-multistate-human-5188938.php?cmpid=hpts

"You have two businesses, two placement agencies, that in essence built a business model where the commodity was illegal workers," said Brian Moskowitz, special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Houston. "They acquired and delivered illegal workers to greedy restaurant owners around the country."

There's an episode of Frasier, where Frasier and his brother decide to buy a restaurant that is going out of business.

After Frasier and his brother drive off their Chef, on opening night, Frasier promotes one of the cooks to Chef, and then delivers a pep talk to inspire their kitchen team for their upcoming triumph, and what an important audience they have.

Niles: "At the Governor's table, alone, we have two state senators and the head of the immigration department."

And every person in the kitchen runs out the back door.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but my mom used to say, "I wish you'd get a job with benefits", and I would always answer that eating free was a big benefit! (I was single & childfree). My sister has literally broken down in the grocery store over what could be afforded versus what was necessary / desired.

I don't think some people see enough poverty to care. And to ASF's point earlier, we're supposed to give a damn. If for no other reason than Jesus said so.

Annapolis/Edgewater,

The adults working in the fast food restaurants here are managers. Everyone working the cash registers are what I would refer to as "children" vs "adults" just so guys like ASF are clear.

The local McDonalds recently went all hispanic.

I get it, now you're advocating pay discrimination based on age, or is it that they should earn more if they aren't living at home, can they earn more if they have kids to support? What about if they're divorced and need to pay child support, does that count since we've already established that we're discriminating?

I get it, now you're advocating pay discrimination based on age, or is it that they should earn more if they aren't living at home, can they earn more if they have kids to support? What about if they're divorced and need to pay child support, does that count since we've already established that we're discriminating?

Maybe we can set up a government agency to micromanage all aspects of the process.   :)

ASF, that seems some, uh, overly colorful language, IMO.

On a somewhat more rational note, the problem I have with creating minimums that only apply some of the time, is that it simply puts a tremendous pressure on businesses NOT to hire the very people you're supposedly doing this, to try to help.

"We were going to mandate that you had to give that 30 year old guy who's been working minimum wage for 10 years, a 25% raise. But now we've decided to mandate that you either give him a raise, or fire him and hire a kid."

So you are advocating paying everyone 52K a year regardless of ability.

No you are making my point for not raising the minimum wage.

On a somewhat more rational note, the problem I have with creating minimums that only apply some of the time, is that it simply puts a tremendous pressure on businesses NOT to hire the very people you're supposedly doing this, to try to help.

"We were going to mandate that you had to give that 30 year old guy who's been working minimum wage for 10 years, a 25% raise. But now we've decided to mandate that you either give him a raise, or fire him and hire a kid."

Now you are putting your union hat on :D

Ten bucks says you can't quote where he said that.

And ten bucks says he can't quote where I said that, see how that works?

ASF has gotten emotional because he doesn't like my posts, so it tends to make his posts a little more irrational.

I agree.  That is why I oppose the idea.   The point is to make sure that every hardworking adult who is willing to work full time gets enough from their labors to get by - not live well, mind you, but survive, without needing to go on welfare.  

So you are advocating paying everyone 52K a year regardless of ability.

No one said anything remotely close to that.  

I agree.  That is why I oppose the idea.   The point is to make sure that every hardworking adult who is willing to work full time gets enough from their labors to get by - not live well, mind you, but survive, without needing to go on welfare.

At what age are they considered an adult?

At what age are they considered an adult?

Frankly, I don't care.  Some people are emancipated at 15.  

That's why just raising the minimum wage for everyone to keep pace with inflation is the best approach.  You don't have to make those judgments.  It doesn't bother me if some teens working part time also benefit - the overwhelming purpose of the change would be accomplished.  

That's why just raising the minimum wage for everyone to keep pace with inflation is the best approach.  You don't have to make those judgments.  It doesn't bother me if some teens working part time also benefit - the overwhelming purpose of the change would be accomplished.  

Why not base the minimum wage on the area.  Someone working McDonalds in Athens Ohio shouldn't be making the same minimum wage as someone working McDonalds in NOVA.  Well that is if your intention is to help people out of the poverty level.  It should be adjusted just like the government pays locality based pay.

Agree?  Disagree?

.   The point is to make sure that every hardworking adult who is willing to work full time gets enough from their labors to get by - not live well, mind you, but survive, without needing to go on welfare.

Is that a employers responsibility?

I agree with it to a large degree, but it also prevents me from hiring the less skilled/talented.

And ten bucks says he can't quote where I said that, see how that works?

ASF has gotten emotional because he doesn't like my posts, so it tends to make his posts a little more irrational.

1)

Actually, I was going to observe that not only can ASF point out where you advocated age discrimination, but that I could, too.

And I then went looking for the post where you advocated creating one minimum wage for some people, and a different one for younger people.

See, I assumed that ASF was responding to a post where you advocated that. And I was correcting what I thought was a post where you had proposed a bad idea, but was doing so excessively colorfully.

But, then, I couldn't find such a post.

Which makes me conclude that either I missed it, or he just pulled it out of his Philly.

2)

However, now that we've established that you knew that your claim, in response to him, was something which you pulled out of your Philly, . . . .

I have to ask what you think your justification was, the previous time you made the same false claim about his position.

Why not base the minimum wage on the area.  Someone working McDonalds in Athens Ohio shouldn't be making the same minimum wage as someone working McDonalds in NOVA.  Well that is if your intention is to help people out of the poverty level.  It should be adjusted just like the government pays locality based pay.

Agree?  Disagree?

I think a good argument can be made for that.  It might require more government to implement, which is always a downside.     

Agreed.

If the worst think you can find about this proposal is that you think some teenager might get a few dollars more than you like? Then big deal.

----------

Having said that, now . . . .

Anybody else see the problem with passing a law that mandates a 25% increase in the price of labor "to keep up with inflation" . . . . ?

:)

Keep remembering a Mark Russel joke, during the Elian Gonzales "crisis", in which he observed that Strom Thurmond had proposed having the Senate decide what to do with the boy "to take the politics out of it".

Is that a employers responsibility?

I agree with it to a large degree, but it also prevents me from hiring the less skilled/talented.

I think it is an employer's responsibility if we, as a society, decide that it is.  Paying people so little that they have to get welfare, food stamps and other aid just to get by even though they work full time affects us all, affects our taxes and our budget deficit.  

I would like to see health care divorced from employment.   That is the really big unfair burden that employers carry in our society.   

Agree?  Disagree?

We already do.

We have a national "floor", and lots of jurisdictions mandate their own, higher, ones. Typically, the places that do so are blue states (or localities) with higher costs of living.

And raising the "floor" would not change that.

I think it is an employer's responsibility if we, as a society, decide that it is.  Paying people so little that they have to get welfare, food stamps and other aid just to get by even though they work full time affects us all, affects our taxes and our budget deficit.  

I would like to see health care divorced from employment.   That is the really big unfair burden that employers carry in our society.   

Many employers much enjoy providing health care.  It allows them to drive down wages in exchange for "benefits" which,particularly pre-ACA, may not have really provided much benefit at all.  Still, the system is incredibly broken.

1)

Actually, I was going to observe that not only can ASF point out where you advocated age discrimination, but that I could, too.

And I then went looking for the post where you advocated creating one minimum wage for some people, and a different one for younger people.

See, I assumed that ASF was responding to a post where you advocated that. And I was correcting what I thought was a post where you had proposed a bad idea, but was doing so excessively colorfully.

But, then, I couldn't find such a post.

Which makes me conclude that either I missed it, or he just pulled it out of his Philly.

2)

However, now that we've established that you knew that your claim, in response to him, was something which you pulled out of your Philly, . . . .

I have to ask what you think your justification was, the previous time you made the same false claim about his position.

I would never base a minimum wage based on age which is absolutely silly, I am asking questions because when you discuss minimum wage in this country and discuss poverty levels or supporting your familys or whatever, you have to break the discussion of a kid in high school getting their first job and a mom trying to support their child as a single parent family.  But you can't do that because when you look at the comparison it makes no sense.  Which is why you can't just bump minimum wage to a random high with the premise of peoples quality of lives.

We already do.

We have a national "floor", and lots of jurisdictions mandate their own, higher, ones. Typically, the places that do so are blue states (or localities) with higher costs of living.

And raising the "floor" would not change that.

What I am referring to is the fact that my nephew in Dandridge Tenn makes $7.25 an hour which is equivalent to my daughter making her $7.25 at Panera Bread.

For my nephew, his $7.25 has a much greater economic value in that part of Tenn than my daughter does here.

Predicto

How much dead weight would you mandate? .....formula from% of profit or what?  :) 

Like the 2 dollar example in the OP that receives aid yet can benefit from a 2 hr dollar job, the less skilled/talented/driven can benefit.

Archived