Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Those type of people I agree to raising the raising the wage. To people who are born in the US with less than a high school education running a cash register yes. 

No. She is not supporting a family. Its some extra spending cash. If she would like to make some more money there is certainly ways to move up in the company before moving on to school or career. 

What about 50-75 employees? 

I really think people expect ownership for these non-cooperate companies to take home 100% of the profits every quarter/Year.

Sure.  I dont think there is a limit on the top end really.  Im sure at some point a business stops being referred to as a small business, but I dont think semantics makes a difference.

Then why do you keep posing this hypothetical: "Should my daughter have made a living wage for her first job?"

That has nothing to do with your local fast food joints and everything to do with this meme: "mostly teenagers work minimum wage jobs and don't deserve pay raises". You know that too.

Listen, I started out by asking the question who makes minimum wage.  Why did I ask?  Because I don't know.  I then stated that where I live everyone working fast food are either kids or hispanics.  It used to be all kids, but are slowly being replaced with hispanics.  In the MD/DC/VA area there are increasing numbers of hispanic only manned franchises.

I read the link to who makes minimum wage, it's an interesting topic.

I would propose a wage based by locality if anything.  Meaning if you are in MD/DC/VA your minimum wage would be higher than if you lived in Kentucky.

It's always been that way. 

What we need to do is get corporations and small businesses to create more jobs and reverse the trend of sending jobs overseas.

That may be true. It seems significantly worse since Citizens United, though I can't prove that. 

I agree with your second point. At least in the manufacturing sector, Obama is trying to discourage outsourcing and mentioned it briefly in the SotU. Then again, since we live in the current political reality, nothing is going to happen. For that, I blame Congressional Republicans. "Put a bill on my desk" isn't happening.

Then why do you keep posing this hypothetical: "Should my daughter have made a living wage for her first job?"

That has nothing to do with your local fast food joints and everything to do with this meme: "mostly teenagers work minimum wage jobs and don't deserve pay raises". You know that too.

You do realize that roughly 50% of people on MW are between the ages of 16-24 and are not supporting families nor are contributing to the household income?

Sure.  I dont think there is a limit on the top end really.  Im sure at some point a business stops being referred to as a small business, but I dont think semantics makes a difference.

The reason I ask is because I consider my company a small business with those amount of employees and a MW wage increase would hurt my $45-65k annual employees who are highly trained and experienced are going to be hit by my younger less skilled less experienced making more. Profits would go down and reinvestment in the company by ownership would as well. 

Listen, I started out by asking the question who makes minimum wage.  Why did I ask?  Because I don't know.  I then stated that where I live everyone working fast food are either kids or hispanics.  It used to be all kids, but are slowly being replaced with hispanics.  In the MD/DC/VA area there are increasing numbers of hispanic only manned franchises.

I read the link to who makes minimum wage, it's an interesting topic.

I would propose a wage based by locality if anything.  Meaning if you are in MD/DC/VA your minimum wage would be higher than if you lived in Kentucky.

I cant find the stats right now but what drives me crazy is that people near the poverty line and people near the MW have a ridiculously high fertility rate. Requiring the even more project homes, welfare, and food stamps. 

There really isnt a right answer right now. You cant discriminate by age, race, sex, martial status, or any other ways. A blanket increase to every one will kill many jobs and companies. No blanket increase still leaves too many families unable to support themselves with out the government. New laws have to be written up and old laws need changed. Personally im in the later grouping and feel people should work to help themselves first. Dont have kids that you cant support. Don't buy the $9 steak for dinner when a $4 pot roast will feed your whole family. Don't get into credit card debt. Really dont buy anything you cant afford. Their can be government programs set up. 

It already is in a number of places, as well as state level earned income credits in addition to the federal

linking it to local cost of living might work

Why don't you pay attention to my posts.  He asked who is working in the fast food places around me.  Kk thanks!

Begging your pardon, but I challenged you to go into any fast-food restaurant on a weekday that school is in session at lunch time and post the number of teenagers working there. I did not ask you to pull faux numbers out of your butt.

Begging your pardon, but I challenged you to go into any fast-food restaurant on a weekday that school is in session at lunch time and post the number of teenagers working there. I did not ask you to pull faux numbers out of your butt.

How many of those people have better than a high school education? 1 maybe the GM of the restaurant? What skills does it take to run a cash register? A 5th grader has all the math he needs to run one. You get paid for the skills you posses.

How many of those people have better than a high school education? 1 maybe the GM of the restaurant?

so you're advocating the "you're worth what you're worth" and the practice of billion dollar corporations subsidizing their payroll off welfare for their employees?

Not only that, but why not take your argument further to argue paying drop out less than minimum wage?

so you're advocating the "you're worth what you're worth" and the practice of billion dollar corporations subsidizing their payroll off welfare for their employees?

Who says it has to be a billion dollar corporation? It could be your Mom/Pop store down the street giving a kid a part time job 3 nights a week? He is still running a register that all it takes is 5th grade math. Just because a billion dollar corporation can handle the higher wages does that mean all the thousands of small companies around the US afford it?

Oh I am supposed to ID them.  OK ASF, you are such a fail.

How about you give me real numbers then.  You can't.

How many of those people have better than a high school education? 1 maybe the GM of the restaurant? What skills does it take to run a cash register? A 5th grader has all the math he needs to run one.

most long term m wage earners will remain that way,it makes more sense to me not to inflate entry level pay to the point it inhibits hiring those that simply need a chance to advance.

those that are incapable or unwilling to advance will of course need help from the govt.

Where do you live chipwhich? And how often do you eat fast food?

I'm just wondering where you're seeing all these teens.  I eat there fairly regularly--couple times a week--and I have no idea where you're seeing kids working these places. Also, as I've noted/discussed many times before on here, my father has worked at McDonalds for 35 years (until he finally had enough and quit a couple of months ago). He also met my mom there way back when, when both of them worked there as teens (and then ditto my stepmom, a divorce and many, many years later). It was also my very first job 15 years (worked there three weeks, got my first paycheck, "invested" it, said **** this, and that was that. Horrible job. Don't no how my dad did it for so long.) So that said, I think I have a fairly good and unique perspective on this. My own experience (past and present) and talking to them, the employee demographic has changed dramatically. It ain't kids working there anymore. Simply not the case.

Nearly half of those people working at 2am also have a high school education or less.

They still need to support themselves.  Or do you prefer to do it with your taxes?

Oh I am supposed to ID them.  OK ASF, you are such a fail.

How about you give me real numbers then.  You can't.

LKB gave you the figures.  According to his link, over half of minimum wage workers are over 25 years old.  

most long term m wage earners will remain that way,it makes more sense to me not to inflate entry level pay to the point it inhibits hiring those that simply need a chance to advance.

those that are incapable or unwilling to advance will of course need help from the govt.

Not so much as the person needs its (they do) but the company needs the MW worker as well. For instance the 10-15 MW employees I employee are needed every day but the jobs I require them to do are not hard nor skill based by any means. Carrying stuff out to peoples car, running registers, helping a customer find something. It allows my $45-65k a year employees be where they need to be. Helping the customers with specific needs in their department or expertise. With out my MW employees either we have to A)take away the full times PTO B)Lower the Full Times Wages C)Cut them back to part time to decrease the benefits.

They still need to support themselves.  Or do you prefer to do it with your taxes?

I'd rather them have finish school. Learn a trade. Show some initiative to better their own lives. I can't stand when some one who abuses the system because they don't want to better themselves. There are PLENTY of jobs out there if people work for them. I know I'm constantly looking for people who work hard and are willing to learn.

Im willing to pay taxes for people trying to get on their own feet. Not willing to pay for some one who works 16 hours a week at McDonalds with no interest to advance themselves while they collect food stamps for the next 20 years.

Recently hired a guy a few months ago who had been released from jail a few months ago. Knew nothing about field he was working in but was humble, willing to learn, and knew he had fallen down the wrong path. Just wanted to work for a better life. Currently working for $8 an hour. Shows up 15 mins early every day. Covers every day possible when some one calls out and looks like some one who is a long time employee who will get himself on the right path. I can support that.

You do realize that roughly 50% of people on MW are between the ages of 16-24 and are not supporting families nor are contributing to the household income?

The average age of low wage earners, i.e anything below $9.99 is 35 years (as of 2012). Only 12% of low wage earners are between 16-19 and 23% between 20-24. The rest are all over 24.

The problem at hand is that most adults today are not paid a living age. Saying that teenagers and young adults would profit unfairly from this is a misrepresentation of the problem.

Based on the current trend, more people will be pushed onto government assistance if not provided a living wage.

I'd rather them have finish school. Learn a trade. Show some initiative to better their own lives. I can't stand when some one who abuses the system because they don't want to better themselves. There are PLENTY of jobs out there if people work for them. I know I'm constantly looking for people who work hard and are willing to learn.

Somebody still will be doing that other job, the menial job.  Someone has to do those jobs.  

And I think it is bizarre that you would say that someone doing a hard, boring menial job full time is "abusing the system."  They are working their asses off.  They just want to pay their rent.

I cant find the stats right now but what drives me crazy is that people near the poverty line and people near the MW have a ridiculously high fertility rate. Requiring the even more project homes, welfare, and food stamps. 

This bugs me too. Got multiple friends struggling to get by, always have been, and they have at least two kids. I have no sympathy for them (it's the same as DUI's, for me. I'll give you a pass on one. Everyone makes mistakes. But two or more? Na. Sympathy = gone).

For whatever reason, that's one mistake that me and my brother both never made. And we are drastically different people (maybe our childhoods were so ****ty, we knew better than to have kids before we could really afford it. idk.).

Somebody still will be doing that other job, the menial job.  Someone has to do those jobs.  

And I think it is bizarre that you would say that someone doing a hard, boring menial job full time is "abusing the system."  They are working their asses off.  They just want to pay their rent.

You are arguing with Smails.

[video=]

The average age of low wage earners, i.e anything below $9.99 is 35 years (as of 2012). Only 12% of low wage earners are between 16-19 and 23% between 20-24. The rest are all over 24.

The problem at hand is that most adults today are not paid a living age. Saying that teenagers and young adults would profit unfairly from this is a misrepresentation of the problem.

Based on the current trend, more people will be pushed onto government assistance if not provided a living wage.

That still doesnt answer my problem with Min Wage workers being 16-24 years old. Raise the wage to a flat living wage to everyone is death to many companies. Putting <100 people out of work with every company. 

This bugs me too. Got multiple friends struggling to get by, always have been, and they have at least two kids. I have no sympathy for them (it's the same as DUI's, for me. I'll give you a pass on one. Everyone makes mistakes. But two or more? Na. Sympathy = gone).

For whatever reason, that's one mistake that me and my brother both never made. And we are drastically different people (maybe our childhoods were so ****ty, we knew better than to have kids before we could really afford it. idk.)

Personally im for the new birth control that is coming out that last 10 years for guys and is reversible at any time. Require it at 14 years old for all guys and you have saved the government millions of dollars a year that can be used else where. Also for government paying 75% of birth control costs. Health care paying whats left. Consumer pays what the sales tax would be.

For whatever reason, that's one mistake that me and my brother both never made. And we are drastically different people (maybe our childhoods were so ****ty, we knew better than to have kids before we could really afford it. idk.).

We need to up the abortion rate for people below the poverty line.  Or increase the chastity belt rate.

Personally im for the new birth control that is coming out that last 10 years for guys and is reversible at any time. Require it at 14 years old for all guys and you have saved the government millions of dollars a year that can be used else where. Also for government paying 75% of birth control costs. Health care paying whats left. Consumer pays what the sales tax would be.

I mean don't get me wrong, I've had close calls over the years. But guess what? Went to CVS the next day and dropped 50 bucks on the morning after pill. Definitely worth the money. And I think it's that easy.

We need to up the abortion rate for people below the poverty line.  Or increase the chastity belt rate.

Does your sarcasm mean you think we're wrong? Or the other way?

Where do you live chipwhich? And how often do you eat fast food?

I'm just wondering where you're seeing all these teens.  I eat there fairly regularly--couple times a week--and I have no idea where you're seeing kids working these places. Also, as I've noted/discussed many times before on here, my father has worked at McDonalds for 35 years (until he finally had enough and quit a couple of months ago). He also met my mom there way back when, when both of them worked there as teens (and then ditto my stepmom, a divorce and many, many years later). It was also my very first job 15 years (worked there three weeks, got my first paycheck, "invested" it, said **** this, and that was that. Horrible job. Don't no how my dad did it for so long.) So that said, I think I have a fairly good and unique perspective on this. My own experience (past and present) and talking to them, the employee demographic has changed dramatically. It ain't kids working there anymore. Simply not the case.

Annapolis/Edgewater,

The adults working in the fast food restaurants here are managers.  Everyone working the cash registers are what I would refer to as "children" vs "adults" just so guys like ASF are clear.

The local McDonalds recently went all hispanic.

Archived