Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

moral from ASF Gimme mine ,**** them. :P

My morals say get a education.skills and make the right choices and you won't need to worry about minimum wage....just about the govt

That's not your morals, that's your Conservative narrative about the illusion of the American dream, and the demonization of government...which oddly enough you want to have absolute control over some things but not others. LoL!

what did change though?

http://www.epionline.org/study/minimum-wages-and-the-business-cycle-does-a-wage-hike-hurt-more-in-a-weak-economy/

over the past two decades, each ten percent increase in the minimum wage has reduced employed for less-educated young adults by as much as 2.3 percent. However, this top-line result masks important variation in the effects of the minimum wage that depends on the economy.

For instance, in tight labor markets – when prime-age (age 25-54) male unemployment is below five percent – the minimum wage reduces employment for young drop-outs by roughly two percent. However, in weak labor markets — when the prime-age male unemployment jumps above eight percent – the impact of a higher minimum wage more than doubles. Specifically, each 10 percent minimum wage increase reduces employment for young drop-outs by over four percent.

If marginal businesses are predominately in low income areas the impact will be even greater for them,

My, what a long-winded way of saying "when employers have applicants competing for jobs, they tend to pick the more desirable employees".

Moral of the story from twa: repeal the minimum the wage and employ everyone at 50 cents per hour.

Yay no more unemployment!!!!!

Problem solved!!!!

BTW, twa if you ever start to get your information from places other than Conservative Think Tanks (i.e. Lobbyists) I think I'll probably die of shock!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Policies_Institute

Funny, I don't remember him saying that.

(Although, granted, he's made an art form of NEVER actually stating any point whatsoever. But, still.)

My morals say get a education.skills and make the right choices and you won't need to worry about minimum wage....just about the govt 

This is true, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get an education/skills and make the right choices when you have food to eat and a parent around.

SO, an easy fix is to take everyone making minimum wage right now (heck let's say anyone making under $10) and we will put them in a time machine and send them back to 6th grade where they can undo all the mistakes they've made up to this point. And GOLLY, let's hope it's mistakes that they have made that got us all to this point. Because everyone has the same connections and amount of help from friends and family and emotional and financial support from their parents, so AS LONG AS THEY ARE SMART AND TRY HARD, then we wont need this pesky minimum wage anymore. 

Well, except for teenagers. We will need it to pay the teens so they can have fun money! Because none of them will have to pay for food, or rent, or a car. Or heaven forbid a college education! Those are cheap anyway though if you get straight A's and score a perfect score on your SAT/ACTs. Which shouldn't be too difficult, just gotta try hard and do good!

Oh and before you say that they aren't entitled to the time machine, we can have them all work for free for a year to earn it! Business will be booming! Not only that but this will help them learn the work ethic that will propel them to great things!!

This is true, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get an education/skills and make the right choices when you have food to eat and a parent around.

last I checked people are not starving here unless they are making really bad choices, I can't help much with parents,though I do what I can.

My, what a long-winded way of saying "when employers have applicants competing for jobs, they tend to pick the more desirable employees".

you neglect that their job market shrinks , but employing being undesirable will never be a problem for the desirable.

let me know how it works out

If you can't afford 2 children, don't have a third. But uneducated people will continue to have children they can't afford to take care of, so what do we do as a society?

As a society we drop Iron Age religious morality and provide comprehensive sex education with free birth control.

last I checked people are not starving here unless they are making really bad choices, I can't help much with parents,though I do what I can.

That's not true in every case of poverty & you know it. Generalize much?

you neglect that their job market shrinks , but employing being undesirable will never be a problem for the desirable.

let me know how it works out

And I've got no idea wtf that means ...and I made A's in AP English.

I think a good argument can be made for that. It might require more government to implement, which is always a downside.

Thats how the Army does it, with their marriage pay (forget the exact term for it, been awhile. Housing pay?). But yeah, for example, I was stationed at Fort Hood, lived off base in Killeen, Texas. When you get married in the Army/military, they give you extra pay, to help pay for housing off base. And they base how much this extra pay is on the local economy/housing prices/etc. So Killeen, I think I got an extra $4 or 500 a month. Looking it up then, IIRC, your area, San Francisco got the most, more than three times that of Killeen; something like $1800 a month. The DC area was right up there too. Might have been second, or right behind NYC and LA for second: $16 to 1700 or something.

My only concern would be fraud. I could get a bull**** marriage in Vegas so I could get extra pay and live off base. Easy. But I think this is solved just by setting the pay by the businesses location. I like the idea.

Why do some people feel like its a business' responsibly to provide money to unskilled worker being paid more than what their job is worth? 

"Why do some people..." is the beginning of so many sentences. :lol:

Hey, in the same spirit, imagine the mentality of that special purveyor of internet wisdom that seems to have a "need" to keep creating dupe accts so they can perform on a particular website they've been repeatedly banned from, rather than just be content do their pookie dance on all the innumerable other venues. ;)

That's the kind of impressive cognitive development that just screams "you'll want to read more of my riveting conclusions and judgments."   B)

"Why do some people..." is the beginning of so many sentences. :lol:

Hey, in the same spirit, imagine the mentality of that special purveyor of internet wisdom that seems to have a "need" to keep creating dupe accts so they can perform on a particular website they've been repeatedly banned from, rather than just be content do their pookie dance on all the innumerable other venues. ;)

That's the kind of impressive cognitive development that just screams "you'll want to read more of my riveting conclusions and judgments."   B)

Apparently, he`s in denial about what his attendance and participation on the forum is worth. :) There`s that damn sense of entitlement again!

the undesireable/desireable part...after a few minutes, I think I've got it, but the top echelon can only support so many, right? Like 1%?

Those that will benefit a company (increase profit/productivity) will get hired no matter the M wage.

WHERE those jobs are will shift though.

About 85% of the studies "find a negative employment effect on low-skilled workers-University of California at Irvine economist David Neumark

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323478004578302510280314712

William Dunkelberg, chief economist for the National Federation of Independent Business, says that after the July 2009 increase 600,000 teen jobs disappeared in the next six months even as GDP expanded. In the previous six months, when the economy was still shrinking, half as many teen jobs were lost. The overall teen jobless rate was still 23.4% last month, which means demand for unskilled workers is low even at $7.25 an hour. Demand will be lower at $9.

Curiously, twa, your second expert makes a big point out of the fact that, in the second half of 09, teen jobs went down by, supposedly, 600,000, while GDP went up. Without mentioning that teen jobs went down while all jobs sent down.

Not that he, or you, are trying to take the effects of the economic crash of 08, and blame the minimum wage for it, or anything.

I also have to confess to being rather dubious about his claim of 600,000 jobs. Looking at the BLS data for total nonfarm jobs (seasonally adjusted), it says that total employment went down by around 1.3M jobs.

I find it tough to believe that roughly half of the job losses, in that crash, were to teens.

But, let's assume that it's true. Let's assume that there's a rule we can all agree on, that says . . .

When the minimum wage goes up, businesses lay off teenagers, and hire adults, instead.

You saying that's bad?

So is that jobs that teens normally do that adults have now?

I don't understand your question

Raising the M wage certainly makes the jobs more desirable to adults in need....while reducing opportunity for many teens

Is it a good thing Larry?

Good to me would be something different entirely

Alexy.... a different thread would be better, but if you look at the change in rates of pregnancy it is roughly equal and the main driver for reduced pregnancy rates is delaying sex.

The most effective birth control relies on removing the human element(IUD/implants) the rest are rather subject to human error(including the pill) 

your birth rate map is useless in the context of our posts w/o the change over time and what is taught and available(besides a pregnancy rate would be a truer reflection what with the varied abortion rates in places)

twa I understand that this is a complex situation. I just think we should be moving towards acknowledging that people will have sex and helping them avoid unwanted pregnancies rather than withdrawing social support cuz they shouldn't be having all dem kids.

twa I understand that this is a complex situation. I just think we should be moving towards acknowledging that people will have sex and helping them avoid unwanted pregnancies rather than withdrawing social support cuz they shouldn't be having all dem kids.

and I agree

I don't think raising the M wage is the best way to do so though

and I agree

I don't think raising the M wage is the best way to do so though

I agree... so lets keep all those "individual responsibility" arguments out of these minimum wage debates.

Most people are as responsible as they are taught to be, and teaching responsibility costs money.

Archived