Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why is Dan Snyder the most hated person in franchise history?

knighthonor

What made Dan Snyder become such a hated figure here on the Redskins?

Its been close to a decade correct? And besides the zorn move which was a despite move, he made some favorable moves like signing Gibbs as well as signing Mike Shannan. 

Yes he gave him a lot of power, but remember most HC didnt want to come to Washington Redskins. So there had to be a compromise. 

But what did he do to get all this hate, besides the team lows of winning and success? 

Because lets be real here. There are simply a lot better teams out there now. The Redskins werent going to be best forever right. Sometimes teamd face turn-arounds.

The primary reason is that the Redskins have not been successful.  Jerrah was on his way to be the most hated Cowboy figure but his team won a SB (albeit arguably in spite of his meddling) and now he's getting heat because the Cowboys have been pretty much mediocre since Aikman.  He's pretty much the same person now as he was then.  Al Davis was a SOB but while his teams were good, people put up with him and often rained love on him.  When his teams started sucking, people began to attack him even at a personal level.  Basically, you can be the nicest person in the world but if you are a loser, you'll be hated on.  Conversely, you can be the worst prick ever and if you are a winner, people will love you.  Now, add that to the fact that Dan is not really all that likeable.

Why do dog lovers hate Michael Vick?

Why do people think TO is a self-centered crybaby?

Why do people think Romanowski is a thug?

Why are they picking on A-Rod?

Why don't people put ketchup on their ice cream?

Why do people think Star Wars Ep 1 was a stupid childish mess?

Why do people think the Son of Sam was crazy?

So many mysteries...

What's funny is that some of the things he's hated for he had no control over. The fans need to lay off Dan, he's been doing what we've asked for since 2010.

Personally I'm glad he's our owner. I rather have someone who deeply cares about the team rather than someone who treats it as another business endeavor (Glazer family).

Dan's made mistakes, but he's owned up to them.

It's a combination of the fact that the franchise hasn't succeeded under him, and he is perceived as being (and for a time, was) too involved in its day-to-day operation in terms of Football, mixed with his business practices being somewhat reviled.  Like someone mentioned, charging people to watch training camp really hurt his standing with the fan base, and he's an easy target for everyone outside of DC too.

I still like him since he's willing to open his pocketbook and actually pay for guys, far too many owners are stingy.  The thing is, Snyder needs a leash, or better, he needs to hand every thing but the check writing over to professionals and stay in the VIP box.  If/When we start winning, his reputation will slowly improve.

What's funny is that some of the things he's hated for he had no control over. The fans need to lay off Dan, he's been doing what we've asked for since 2010.

Personally I'm glad he's our owner. I rather have someone who deeply cares about the team rather than someone who treats it as another business endeavor (Glazer family).

Dan's made mistakes, but he's owned up to them.

He's been doing things we've wanted or asked for far longer than that...maybe that's the problem?

A large number of fans loved:

- The 2000 FA splurge

- The firing of Norv Turner in 2000

- The hiring of Marty in 2001

- The hiring of Spurrier in 2002

- The hiring of Gibbs in 2004

- The acquisition of Lloyd, Carter, etc. in 2006

- The backing out of hiring Fassel in 2008

- The acquisition of Haynesworth in 2009

- The hiring of Allen and Shanahan in 2010

So, I'm sure some more knowledgeable fans could see the pitfalls in a lot of the above moves, but he had plenty of fan support for each and every one of those decisions until they blew up. 

Aside from the fact that he has meddled and sabotaged every coach who ever worked for him, including forcing Al Saunders and Vinny on Gibbs, he sucks vs the cowboys.The Redskins are 42 and 63 in the rivalry. 

Under Snyder the Redskins are 9 - 21 vs the cowboys!

Well, to be fair, that trend started to even itself out since Gibbs II .

Dude, you've got like 16 posts and have started 4 threads already.

Maybe slow down a little.

I do mostly reading what others say here. When I get a thought or idea for a discussion, I make it. Which was only a few times. Like this thread. I Dont know why he has so much hate. I see it everywhere I read. But I Dont know why. Because nobody explained it beyond some bad seasons the team had. That's all. Every team has those. So I never saw that as big of a deal to
Justify that level of hatred. So i figured there were other reasons at hand that I wasn't informed about. So I asked. What's wrong with that?

I do mostly reading what others say here. When I get a thought or idea for a discussion, I make it. Which was only a few times. Like this thread. I Dont know why he has so much hate. I see it everywhere I read. But I Dont know why. Because nobody explained it beyond some bad seasons the team had. That's all. Every team has those. So I never saw that as big of a deal to
Justify that level of hatred. So i figured there were other reasons at hand that I wasn't informed about. So I asked. What's wrong with that?

If you don't know why and have to start this thread you probably are 9 years old or have never been a Redskin fan. Puleeze.

Sorry if I came across harsh. 

All I am trying to say if you are new to the board not every thought needs it's own thread, and you may want to settle in before starting a bunch of different threads.

I'm not trying to harsh your mellow, just some friendly advice for what it's worth.

If you don't know why and have to start this thread you probably are 9 years old or have never been a Redskin fan. Puleeze.

I been a redskins fan since I was a boy. And yes I do have a few 9s in my age. So u will accept that. Take that as a compliment. ;-) feel young again

Sorry if I came across harsh. 

All I am trying to say if you are new to the board not every thought needs it's own thread, and you may want to settle in before starting a bunch of different threads.

I'm not trying to harsh your mellow, just some friendly advice for what it's worth.

No hard feelings. I take that advice. I just do more reading here than posting. But over the past few weeks a few questions I couldn't find on the internet search had to be asked. Startinf with the RG3 stereotype origin. No info on it on the internet beyond barried in other threads and blogs of different subjects.

Archived