Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why is Dan Snyder the most hated person in franchise history?

knighthonor

I use to hate Snyder as an owner who was at the root of all things wrong with returning the Skins into a Super Bowl power, .... for all the reason ever listed over the past couple of decades.  But no more.

He has changed.  I have changed.  I no longer blame him for the failures of recent regimes.  Sometimes things just happen.  Karma isn't right for success to occur.

Over 20 years of failure, strikes, price rises, tail number sightings, etc. I have been worn down to indifference.

I still check in to see if there is any promising future, but no longer drink koolaid.  Gruden looks promising, but I no long have investment in the Skins.  We gave up our season tickets 3 years ago.  No problem in getting them back based on the emails we get from marketing.  Might even do it if J. Gruden shows promise, but two decades are against him.

I thought Shanahan had the experience to make a difference, but now I know better.  This is no feasible and satisfactory end to the Skins current situation.   It's not Snyder's fault.  The NFL owners, commissioner and media are against the Skins for their Logo.  I agree with Snyder, it should stay.   

There are several things in the NFL that still raise my ire, --- rules that favor the offense and cripple the defense; poor, incompetent officials; Thursday night games; that Dallas owner; political correctness, etc. ... but not Snyder.  I think he as matured as an owner.  He has my vote for owner of the year.  Hail Redskins.

Barkeep, bring me another round of whine....er... wine.

I enjoyed the banning if signs, which was denied and blamed on security, immediately followed by handing out little sponsored signs for fans to hold instead of their angry ones. I'm sure Dan was unaware and totally uninvolved. Was the report that he'd stand in the locker room orn the tunnel after games and just glare at everyone like a jerk ever confirmed? That was a fun story too.

Anyone know if he's still cool with Clinton Portis?

Yeah, and along those same lines...why is Joe Gibbs so revered here on the Redskins? I've been a Skins fan since I was a boy but I don't understand why so many view him in such high regard. What did he do to get so much love?

Um, 3 count 'em, 3 Lombardi trophies.

spsmall_zpsf687db2d.jpg

It was probably sarcasm but being that a lot of fans never saw Gibbs winning superbowls I can see how it could be taken otherwise. They saw the second version that impressive made the playoffs but really stumbled running the front office. Not exactly legendary.

(This does not mean Gibbs isn't awesome, he is. He didn't latch on to a franchise QB to win his rings.)

Just some research and you will find the answer.

From Day One, Snyder rubbed people the wrong way and the way he has conducted his ownership over the years has earned him the hate.

We will just have to see how he does during the Allen/Gruden era to see if Dan is really a changed man.

The fanbase was in revolt twice during his tenure; that's not a good thing to have under ones ownership.

My list:

1. Fired a lot of long time admin folks when he bought the team
  2. Bringing Vinny the Ninny back for a 2nd go
  3. Leaving Vanilla Ice Cream in a coach's office with a note saying I don't like Vanilla
  4. The way everything from 1999 - 2005(?) was geared to the "VIP" fans and the rest of us STHs were an after thought if not ignored.  BTW, If we EVER make the Super Bowl, TD Club members have first dibs on tickets.
  5. Charging for training camp which allowed other teams to come to our practices and scout us.  Carolina admitted they learned things from camp and used that information in their game against us.   
  6. Highest prices in the league and one of the worst performing teams in the league.  Changing the price printed on the tickets from price + tax to price w/o tax in the same year he raised ticket prices.  Hence the name, Sneaky Snyder. 
  7. Suing people (including grandmothers) for defaulting on their over priced Club Seat contracts. 
  8. Suing the Washington City paper over this article:  http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/40063/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder   << this pretty much sums up everything.
  9. Adding obstructed view seats on the visiting side of the field, without adding any additional bathrooms, exits, or making any road improvements.
  10. The constant claim about the waiting list being 200,000K.

I could go on and on.....

And just when Snyder becomes invisible, you have stories late last year about PR hack Tony Wyllie getting all huffy about the Larry Michael parodies on WJFK.  This kind of stuff reflects badly on Snyder as well.

Besides the W-L record over the past 15 years, stories like above just further reinforce the perception of a petulant jerk.  The unfortunate thing is that there a lot of things from "hitting fans in the pocketbook" point of view that just about every team has done.  Heck, look at Leonsis......hasn't he raised Caps ticket prices every year, and both them and the Wizards are pretty mediocre right now. Yet Ted seems to get a free pass in this town because he's seen as a nice guy and a "man of the fans."

If you don't know why and have to start this thread you probably are 9 years old or have never been a Redskin fan. Puleeze.

Although that is the answer.  If you were born after, say, '65 and before '85-'88, your first memories of the Skins were that they were pretty good.  Born after '85, and you're not used to winning.

Right now, our collective Redskin memories still bias winning, and that winning grew (most recently) as someone went from minority to majority ownership through 61-'74, carrying right on into 1991, and the aberration (ie, losing) happened (not so?) coincidentally about the same time someone else took over.

Do the math.  It's hard to like Snyder as much as Cooke when one won regularly and the other hasn't.  And, again, aside from Griffin's rookie season, the two best coaches in the Snyder era were initially hired by the Cookes.

Crazy.  

Gotta think it's much easier to like Snyder if you didn't live through (as in "were old enough to remember") the Cooke era.

For all of the people who dont understand the negativity towards Snyder there are equally as many who are baffled that so many people vigorously defend him. I count myself in the latter category, but I think Deion sanders would be my most hated redskin. Couldn't stand it then and I don't like it much more today.

I think there's just a bit more to it than the wins and losses, though. Lets take a look at another guy who owned a team (well, teams) in town.....Abe Pollin.  Granted, basketball definitely occupies a lower rung on the DC sports scene than the NFL.  But after the Bullets had a good run in the 1970s, they were largely crap for the 30 years following until Pollin's death in 2009.  I know Pollin was criticized as being too loyal to folks like Wes Unseld, but was he reviled by Bullets/Wizards fans as much as Snyder is by Redskins fans?  I would think no. Pollin is also recognized as the guy who brought the Bullets to town and built the Cap Centre (which led to the Caps coming) and then later the MCI (Verizon) Center.  Its funny that a lot of folks who complain about FedEx Field actually think Snyder was the one who built it!

I think there's just a bit more to it than the wins and losses, though. Lets take a look at another guy who owned a team (well, teams) in town.....Abe Pollin.  Granted, basketball definitely occupies a lower rung on the DC sports scene than the NFL.  But after the Bullets had a good run in the 1970s, they were largely crap for the 30 years following until TODAY.  I know Pollin was criticized as being too loyal to folks like Wes Unseld, but was he reviled by Bullets/Wizards fans as much as Snyder is by Redskins fans?  I would think no. Pollin is also recognized as the guy who brought the Bullets to town and built the Cap Centre (which led to the Caps coming) and then later the MCI (Verizon) Center.  Its funny that a lot of folks who complain about FedEx Field actually think Snyder was the one who built it!

Fixed that for you, and no Abe wasn't a better owner.  Nor is Steady Teddy.  He is Abe's twin.

You really think he's the most hated?

Romo sits to pee? Jerry? Mara?

If you many redskins themselves.... Vinny takes first prize. Haynesworth? Spurrier? Zorn?

People hate Zorn? Why? He shouldn't have been a head coach. He came to be something completely different and was shoved into deeper water when Snyders coaching search failed. He didn't seem like a terrible dude and he had Portis punting him because he was besties with Snyder. Haynesworth was a scumbag long before he came here and the team ignored that and handed him a pile of money anyway. The only person you listed that competes is Vinny and who brought him backed let him screw up for years? Right, Snyder.

You really think he's the most hated?

Romo sits to pee? Jerry? Mara?

If you many redskins themselves.... Vinny takes first prize. Haynesworth? Spurrier? Zorn?

Sometime we should climb up the ladder of responsabilities and ask ourselves who signed those guys and clowns ? and we all know we can add many more to the list. Jerruh is old to say the least and like Mara he has multiple rings.

I'm not a fan of his decisions of the past, but since Dan fired Vinny in 2009, he's done a fair enough job as a owner. The good thing about Dan is he doesn't go on ESPN and run his mouth to the media like other ownership's do.

I'm convinced that Snyder has moved away from the younger 34 year old self that purchased the team. He gave the keys to Mike Shanahan, while doing anything he asks. Even during the Grudy press conference, he remained away from the spotlight.

Considering all of the bad things he's done regarding our football team, I think the tree cutting incident in Potomac is the worst thing I've ever heard about the guy.

He asked permission to remove the trees, knowing there was conservation easement along the National Park's property borders. The National Park service told Danny he could not remove the trees. Snyder then weighed the consequences of getting caught for breaking the law vs. the benefit of having a clear view of the Potomac river from has mansion. Snyder's ego won. Danny then spent the next 8 years trying to ruin the life of the National Park Service official who blew the whistle on him for breaking the law. Not cool.

To this day, numerous stumps can be seen in Snyder's back yard if you walk along the tow path of the C&O Canal. No other house along that canal looks as Ostentatious as Danny's. It's a slap in the face for any common folks who enjoy recreating in that park.

I don't mind Mr. Snyder as long as he does the right things.  Don't get a player because you're a fan.  Let your staff do the work, but I can't fault the owner for putting his all out there and spending for us fans.  He's only trying to do what he thinks is best for the fans and organization .

Archived