Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

Why do they say "player to be named later" when they know what player it is?

So, we've got Desmond under contract for one more year, but just traded for a guy who should replace him?

Player to be named later because that player has been under contract for less than 6 months and can't technically be traded yet,

I liked Souza as well, but he probably deserves a crack at being an everyday player. That wasn't going to happen here.

Not next year, but there was a place for him in 2016. And, frankly, I don't think there is any way our outfield doesn't miss 60+ games next season. If Matt had been willing, Souza would have gotten some regular playing time next season and been ready to challenge for the full time RF/CF position in 2016.

Corey Block - From an NL scout on now former #Padres prospect Trea Turner: "Turner for me was one of the easiest everyday SS grades I've ever written."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/baseball-joe/blog/nats-could-be-big-winner-in-3-team-trade-of-padres-getting-rays-myers-121714

The immediate reaction from a handful of executives is that the Nationals are faring the best, acquiring right-hander Joe Ross and shortstop Trea Turner as a player to be named.

“I think the Nats must have pics on TB and SD!!” one exec said. “They are the clear winner. Not even close.”

Could be: Ross, the younger brother of Tyson Ross, is one of the Padres’ best pitching prospects. Turner, the 13th overall pick in last year’s draft, is a potential replacement for the Nationals’ Ian Desmond, who is entering his free-agent year.

Not sure Souza was going to have a huge impact in 2015 but obviously that's never going to be known. He would have been a nice utility guy, but if you can basically replace Desmond for virtually no cost (this guy was drafted in 2014 so his contract likely runs cheaply through 2020) ... and you get another young pitcher?

Maybe you have more room to flip some of these pitching prospects now for areas of need

The Fox Sports article by Rosenthal that states the Nats are likely the winner of the trade, reports that Turner is likely Desmond's replacement, but that some thing his arm strength may make him more of a 2B than a SS ... 

EVEN BETTER!

how is that better?

I think Rizzo wants to go into 2015 with the same team(minus Laroche of course) and make another run at a ring. Even without making any major acquisitions, we're still among the favorites to win it all. Now we're ALSO set up to succeed in the future as well.

The guy knows what he's doing.

I think Rizzo wants to go into 2015 with the same team(minus Laroche of course) and make another run at a ring. Even without making any major acquisitions, we're still among the favorites to win it all. Now we're ALSO set up to succeed in the future as well.

Yeah, I agree. As Slateman posted earlier, Souza seemed destined to be a backup on the bench this year, possibly replacing McLouth. As of now, the Nats will have Frandsen & McLouth as backups but still have a spot for 2 or 3 more people. Also, the hole at 2B still needs to be filled. Espi full-time at 2B is a scary thought.

Unfortunately he sucks at picking managers.  The best one he had was Riggleman, and he sent him packing in favor of the worst playoff manager of all time.  Williams ain't much better than Davey.

I very much like the trade. I don't think Souza or Turner were going to be significant impacts in the near term...both would be more long term plans. I think it'll be far easier andor cheaper to find a legitimate starting caliber player in the outfield than trying to find a replacement at SS.

Unfortunately he sucks at picking managers.  The best one he had was Riggleman, and he sent him packing in favor of the worst playoff manager of all time.  Williams ain't much better than Davey.

well, riggleman quit mid season. not sure if thats the same thing. 

Archived