Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Schedule Rumors, Predictions, Info

kleese

did you really just use the jaguars as an example of a team who might beat us?

well at the end of the day they had a better record then we did a year ago.  Their offense was about as productive as ours and their D ranked a tad better then our D.  Add the fact they have a head coach with another year of experience under his belt and he brought in two defensive players he coached in Seattle and their defense is solid.... and they'll be at home.

If you're using this same logic to teams that we SHOULD beat then you would've been wrong last year.... wrong almost the entire year lmfao.

I would say if we're clicking on all 4 cylinders, we can go 3-1 in every quarter of the season.  That puts us at 12-4.  But WE'RE THE REDSKINS! sooooo...we're gunna lose a heartbreaker in there.  I'm saying 9-7, division win perhaps, but with losses to the Jags and Bucs.  Yuck.  But totally Redskins.

Some schedule notes.... Going straight off memory here so I might be wrong, but these are things that stick out:

--Rare opening road game at an AFC team. We opened at San Diego in 2001, and beyond that, I can't recall another.

--Third time we've played Jacksonville in Washington (1997, 2006 unless I'm leaving one out) and all three of those games were early in the season---within first four weeks.

--Earliest in the season we've ever played on a Thursday.

--Pretty sure this will be the first ever Redskins-Seahawks game to be played on MNF.

--Fourth year in a row our game at Dallas is scheduled for primetime. Fourth year in a row our games vs. Dallas is scheduled for a 1:00 Sunday start (flexed in 2012).

--First trip ever to the Cardinals new(er) stadlum; last trip to desert was 2005.

--I was surprised that our game vs. Indy wasn't scheduled earlier in the season and I'm surprised it wasn't a primetime slot. However, with the new flex rules it could very well wind up moving if the game is relevant.

--Racking my brain, and last Saturday game I can remember for Redskins (excluding the year most games were scheduled for Sat due to Christmas) was 1998 vs. Bucs? Might be forgetting one though.

I think the schedule is pretty well balanced.... I don't see any stretches I consider "brutal" and the only game on the list that just screams loss to me is at SF.

As a fan, this works pretty well for me. I like to try and attend 2-3 games per year. I target late September to early November in an effort to take advantage of weather and not get stuck with a meaningless game.

Dallas is three hours south of me so that is always a possibility (I've been going most years lately). Houston, Arizona, Minnesota, and Indy were all also other spots I had on my mind prior to schedule release. Not really interested in attending an opener (I lived in Houston for three years and don't care to go back), but the other games all fit nicely into potential travel plans for me. A mid season trip to FedEx is also always a possibility and in that case, the Seahawks and Titans games sort of stick out.

well at the end of the day they had a better record then we did a year ago.  Their offense was about as productive as ours and their D ranked a tad better then our D.  Add the fact they have a head coach with another year of experience under his belt and he brought in two defensive players he coached in Seattle and their defense is solid.... and they'll be at home.

If you're using this same logic to teams that we SHOULD beat then you would've been wrong last year.... wrong almost the entire year lmfao.

...you DID look at the schedule, right? the game vs the jaguars is at FedEx. its an away game for them.

Wow.  Is this really what you see?  I could not disagree more. I see a transition and a 100% healthy, hungry quarterback.  You realize we added more than just Jackson, right?  We added players just to compete for special teams.  We are in a weak division and the Giants did NOT vastly improve imho.  I'm glad I don't view our team as you do.  Last year I did feel this way; you could see it coming. This year-totally different mindset with the team.  I guess, enjoy the off-season, as much as you can?  If you can't have some optimism in what we've done, I am sorry for you. It must be a sad place.  HTTR

I agree

0-16 until we win a game and then it'll change. I don't want our guys looking at the schedule and thinking "Oh, we got that game" I want them to think and know that no game is going to be given and every win needs to be taken and earned. If we are leading by 21 points I want the offense to continue to attack and the defense to let all hell break loose everywhere on the field. We need to develop a killer instinct and you don't do that by thinking you can win. You do that by wanting to go out on the field and dismantling a team. I want to see attitude and fight from this team, i don't want guys who say are ok with losing. I want them to be pissed off that they lost and the next team they play will feel that punishment.

Warren Sapp love the Redskins

This got me pumped.

0-16 until we win a game and then it'll change. I don't want our guys looking at the schedule and thinking "Oh, we got that game" I want them to think and know that no game is going to be given and every win needs to be taken and earned. If we are leading by 21 points I want the offense to continue to attack and the defense to let all hell break loose everywhere on the field. We need to develop a killer instinct and you don't do that by thinking you can win. You do that by wanting to go out on the field and dismantling a team. I want to see attitude and fight from this team, i don't want guys who say are ok with losing. I want them to be pissed off that they lost and the next team they play will feel that punishment.

I can respect that.  I think everybody should have that outlook.  I don't see us having a losing season however.

Keim predicts 7-9 on ESPN.com. Respective writers for SF, SEA, and AZ have their teams going 12-4. Would be wild if that happened.

Separate writers have them going 12-4? Or is one writer predicting all teams going 12-4??? Talk about total mayhem in one division!!!

I just don't see Arizona on the Seattle or San Fran level yet. But with all of the offseason issues in SF, who knows, maybe they crumble back to average this season. 

I know seriously. Since I've been a fan going back to '87 I think we've played the Rams like once at home

This will be the fifth game in Washington versus the Rams since 1987. We are 2-2 in the previous four games in Washington, with an all time record of 16-9-1 against the Rams (Los Angeles and St. Louis).

I'm honestly surprised at the level of homerism from some.  Jaguars and Texans are practically gimmes?  We won 3 games last year and would have gotten SMOKED by the Raiders if Pryor played.  Sure we improved in lots of areas but so will other teams.  Texans will be healthy with Bill O'Brien, Jaguars may be picking up Manziel (not to say hes good but they would be improved).  I have no idea how these games are going to be cake walk.  Back to reality we are the Redskins, we sometimes and most of the time play down to competition.  New coach, new playbook, ect.  I will not drink the koolaid.

I'm honestly surprised at the level of homerism from some.  Jaguars and Texans are practically gimmes?  We won 3 games last year and would have gotten SMOKED by the Raiders if Pryor played.  Sure we improved in lots of areas but so will other teams.  Texans will be healthy with Bill O'Brien, Jaguars may be picking up Manziel (not to say hes good but they would be improved).  I have no idea how these games are going to be cake walk.  Back to reality we are the Redskins, we sometimes and most of the time play down to competition.  New coach, new playbook, ect.  I will not drink the koolaid.

Healthy RG3 makes a WORLD of difference.  Not to mention us having a new offense could make those games easier than if we didn't.  Think Eagles heading into the beginning of last year, we didn't know what to expect so we got hit in the mouth game 1.  Now, sure Jay Gruden's offense has been seen, but not with RG3 or DeSean Jackson on the outside.  There's going to be a learning curve for other teams with this offense and the first few games will be the time to capitalize on the lack of tape. 

Per one of my previous posts, there is actually a ton of back-and-forth and logistical issues in making the NFL schedule.  Here's an article on the topic that I just saw:  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24538063/nfl-schedule-makers-have-heavy-burden

They have to make sure each stadium is free for those 8 dates and that each municipality can handle the stadium traffic that day.  That's probably 20-25k vehicles when you count all of the fans and personnel, which is way more than a NHL/MLB/NBA game. If there's even one home date that doesn't work out, they might have to mess around with the entire schedule to balance it out again. 

Honestly, I don't think the NFL does this to hype itself.  It doesn't make a ton of sense to promote the release by being unclear on what day the schedule will come out.  Could you imagine the Super Bowl, or NCAA Selection Sunday being promoted this way -- "yeah it'll be sometime in early to mid-march but we might push it back a day or two."  We as fans just get frustrated because we want to see it and don't like the uncertainty, but this is one place where I honestly think the problem is just that complicated.

EDIT: Here's another more-detail article about the topic: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/24/making-of-2014-nfl-schedule/ (WARNING: Peter King)

Per one of my previous posts, there is actually a ton of back-and-forth and logistical issues in making the NFL schedule.  Here's an article on the topic that I just saw:  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24538063/nfl-schedule-makers-have-heavy-burden

They have to make sure each stadium is free for those 8 dates and that each municipality can handle the stadium traffic that day.  That's probably 20-25k vehicles when you count all of the fans and personnel, which is way more than a NHL/MLB/NBA game. If there's even one home date that doesn't work out, they might have to mess around with the entire schedule to balance it out again. 

Honestly, I don't think the NFL does this to hype itself.  It doesn't make a ton of sense to promote the release by being unclear on what day the schedule will come out.  Could you imagine the Super Bowl, or NCAA Selection Sunday being promoted this way -- "yeah it'll be sometime in early to mid-march but we might push it back a day or two."  We as fans just get frustrated because we want to see it and don't like the uncertainty, but this is one place where I honestly think the problem is just that complicated.

EDIT: Here's another more-detail article about the topic: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/24/making-of-2014-nfl-schedule/ (WARNING: Peter King)

well, now im envious of their jobs. they get to spend 10 weeks in an office creating an nfl schedule...dude, that is my dream job!!! :)

I can't believe some of the optimism here on ES. I mean it's not like we have a QB, who when healthy looked phenomenal, who has ever lead us to the playoffs. It's not like we have 2 stud receivers like Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson. It's not like we have a young up and coming tight end who is quick and has good hands like Jordan Reed. Could you imagine if we had a beast at running back like Alfred Morris?

This is the NFL. Teams that have a terrible year don't come back the next year and win. They especially don't win if they have a new head coach and a new system, just ask the Chiefs and the Eagles. Why some of you think we will do well this year is beyond me.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest. I choose to look at all the good we have going for us instead of what we don't. I don't see any reason why we can't win our division and make the playoffs this year. We ask the players to put their blood, sweat, and tears into this team so I think it's my job as a fan to believe every year that we will win. If that makes me dimwitted, a homer, or ignorant remember what they say "ignorance is bliss".

Archived