Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Schedule Rumors, Predictions, Info

kleese

The Redskins are the ONLY NFC team that has never played in Arizona in the past 8 years...

Oh and by the way... Jerry Jones is on the scheduling committee... ANOTHER BIGGER COINCIDENCE

So..... Jerry Jones is part of a conspiracy to keep the Redskins from traveling across the entire country to play at a disadvantage to Arizona? Or am I missing something?

So..... Jerry Jones is part of a conspiracy to keep the Redskins from traveling across the entire country to play at a disadvantage to Arizona? Or am I missing something?

I think he was just joking saying that Jerry has a vendetta against him personally. Am I right? 

The Redskins are the ONLY NFC team that has never played in Arizona in the past 8 years...

Oh and by the way... Jerry Jones is on the scheduling committee... ANOTHER BIGGER COINCIDENCE

It's not a conspiracy.  The way the scheduling rotation works, the first two teams in alphabetical order in each division play almost exactly the same schedule (in terms of home/road games), while the last two teams in alphabetical order play the opposite home/road schedule for 8 of their 10 non-divisional games.  Go check old schedules.  Us and Philly play all of the same teams at home or on the road (except the 2 games set based on our previous finish).  Likewise, the Giants and Cowboys play almost exactly the same schedule.

After the league got through the entire rotation once (2002 to 2009), the league realized this doesn't work out well for teams playing the NFC/AFC West, because some teams played at Denver/KC (Central/Mountain time) whereas their division rivals had to travel to Oakland/San Diego (western time).  Likewise when playing against the NFC West, some teams got to play at Arizona/Saint Louis (Central/Mountain times), whereas their divisional rivals had to make two road trips to San Francisco/Seattle.

To balance this out, the league changed the pairs for the western divisions to line up a pacific time zone team with a non-PT team, so their opponents each made one west coast trip.

If you look at the 2008 schedule, the Redskins and Eagles hosted St Louis and Arizona, but had to travel out to San Francisco and Seattle.  Meanwhile the Giants and Cowboys got to play Seattle/San Francisco at home, and traveled out to Seattle/St Louis.  In 2011 (after the change), In 2011, we hosted Arizona again, and had to travel out to Seattle again, but now everyone in the division only made one west coast trip.

Archived