Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Keim thinks it's not out of the question he gets axed tonight. 

Hail. 

This is an overall thought process that seemingly changed over night. But still, I'm in wait and see mode. One thing is for sure, no one seems to KNOW. Everyone seems to be making educated guesses. Some are more educated than others.

Can someone tell me if there has been any real indication that he would come if offered the HC position?  I just don't see it.  He has a 10 year contract with Baylor (9 years remaining) at $4M/year.  Its a relatively low pressure situation - Baylor isn't expected to win the Big 12 on a regular basis. They just want a competitive team.  He'll be well into retirement age at the end of the contract.

Briles strikes me as a proud, but humble, person.  He's not a Jimmy Johnson type at all.  Why would give up a secure contract to step into a situation where Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, and Shanahan have all failed?

Can someone tell me if there has been any real indication that he would come if offered the HC position?  I just don't see it.  He has a 10 year contract with Baylor (9 years remaining) at $4M/year.  Its a relatively low pressure situation - Baylor isn't expected to win the Big 12 on a regular basis. They just want a competitive team.  He'll be well into retirement age at the end of the contract.

Briles strikes me as a proud, but humble, person.  He's not a Jimmy Johnson type at all.  Why would give up a secure contract to step into a situation where Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, and Shanahan have all failed?

He is the one who looks like he wants a challenge.  What better way to finish your career with a shot in the pros? Doesn't it help that the team you are looking at has one of the QBs that was most successful under your scheme?

Wow Probos - don't know if this is an indictment of Briles or RG3... but why don't you tell us how you really feel either way ;)

I want RG3 to be the Skins QB for the near term future and even beyond if possible.  I want him to be successful.

I have nothing against Briles.  As I said in my previous post I'm sure he's a fine coach -- but it's clear that if he is hired it's almost based solely on the relationship he had/has with RG3.  Not exactly the best reason to hire a HC, or a sound sustainable business practice.

The Washington RG3s -- gotta admit it's gotta a nice ring to it.

He is the one who looks like he wants a challenge.  What better way to finish your career with a shot in the pros? Doesn't it help that the team you are looking at has one of the QBs that was most successful under your scheme?

Can you support your hypothesis that he "looks like he wants a challenge" with some facts?  Briles just signed his first big money contract at age 58.  He's one year into it.  Has he said anything that would indicate he wants to make a $36M gamble?  I'm not saying that I know he won't come, I'd just need something more than wishful thinking before I get my hopes up.

It just seems odd that someone who has never left Texas, just signed a huge, secure contract, has a daughter that works for the Cowboys, and is 58 years old with no pro coaching experience would take such a risk.  It would be different if there was some Snyder/Redskin connection, but I don't see one other than RG3.  Along with the Longhorns opening, the Cowboys will likely have an opening as well, and I don't see Briles being interested in either of those jobs either.

I want RG3 to be the Skins QB for the near term future and even beyond if possible.  I want him to be successful.

I have nothing against Briles.  As I said in my previous post I'm sure he's a fine coach -- but it's clear that if he is hired it's almost based solely on the relationship he had/has with Briles.  Not exactly the best reason to hire a HC, or a sound sustainable business practice.

The Washington RG3s -- gotta admit it's gotta a nice ring to it.

Clear to who? Any moron making the lazy assumption just because he happened to coach the guy in college?

If Briles get's a shot here or anywhere else in the pro's it will be for the remarkable job he's done to date through his career. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Hail. 

Love the Original Post. Great breakdown and you make a lot of good points. I'm note sure Briles is the guy, though.

Just as last offseason the defensive and offensive coordinators around the league were studying the pistol/read option, you can bet this offseason that there will be considerable effort studying what Chip Kelly is doing in Philly. Those philisophies will be getting broken down big time. You can bet that the spread fast paced schemes will become integrated into what many teams do. The Eagles lead the league in points and yards. That type of performance will never go un-studied.

Because the philosophies of Briles and Kelly will be studied and copied by offensive coordinators and countered by defensive coordinators, I don't believe that we need to hire Briles to make it happen. I belive its more importnat to bring in a young, hungry head coach who embraces these philosophies than it is to just go hire Briles. The Briles/RGIII Marriage/Drama will be too much.

..............One last thing, the reason The Eagles Offense works so well is because their offensive line is dominant. Plain and simple!! Foles has ALL DAY to throw the ball. Brady has ALL DAY to throw the ball. Peyton hardly ever gets hit. Brees has ALL DAY to throw the ball. You can bring in all the spread offense/pistol gurus you want. You can bring in a whole bunch of Briles-Clones. It won't matter with our sieve of an offensive line.

Clear to who? Any moron making the lazy assumption just because he happened to coach the guy in college?

If Briles get's a shot here or anywhere else in the pro's it will be for the remarkable job he's done to date through his career. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Hail. 

You have some nerve calling others morons. 

Report: Robert Griffin IIIâs Father Has Become Nuisance for Redskins, Pushing for Baylorâs Art Briles to Be Head Coach | FOX Sports on MSN

I shall be in the lobby Michael after the game signing autographs. 

I'm only inviting my 'special' fans so you'll have me all to yourself. WTG you!

Hail. 

Hail. 

Lazy assumption.  Ha,....wow.  Tell me what other NFL teams are clamoring to hire Art Briles?  Please,...provide details and/or some form of proof.  Any run of the mill, BS blog site will do.  Maybe I'm missing something,...which honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Believe what you want to believe.  I think it would be a terrible move by this organization but it wouldn't necessarily shock me considering Snyder's track record.  Who knows,.....maybe he will be a brilliant NFL coach if hired.  But I'll go with the odds and say it won't be here.

Oh.  Thanks for the back handed insult.  Much appreciated.  There have been a lot of times in my life I've deserved to be called a moron, just not sure my opinion on this topic is one of them.  It's merely a disagreement,................................bro,....

Love the Original Post. Great breakdown and you make a lot of good points. I'm note sure Briles is the guy, though.

Just as last offseason the defensive and offensive coordinators around the league were studying the pistol/read option, you can bet this offseason that there will be considerable effort studying what Chip Kelly is doing in Philly. Those philisophies will be getting broken down big time. You can bet that the spread fast paced schemes will become integrated into what many teams do. The Eagles lead the league in points and yards. That type of performance will never go un-studied.

I agree with many of your points but I don't think NFL defenses 'stopped' our offense as much as we weren't as committed to it and our QB wasn't as capable of executing it and we didn't add anything to it to counter the adjustments. But other teams are still effectively using the read-option and zone-read.

Archived