Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I resent the notion that "version 5.0" of X's and O's and coaching is what this organization needs.  We've had just about every scheme and every playbook that has been floated around football for the past 15 years.

Briles might be a brilliant X's and O's guy- actually, I'm sure he is.  But I don't think that's the point that most of the detractors are even making.  Certainly not me.

Thing is I think everyone would agree with you that we need to get good football people in the FO and become a real, professional organization. But people are more comfortable talking about HC's because that's who we see every week, and hear speak about the direction of the team in between time. I see names of some of the top GM's thrown out, and all they are is names to me. I think I could pick Ozzie Newsome out in a photo, but that's about it.

You're preaching to us like we're Dan about to make a team decision.

Steve Spurrier was a pretty great offensive coach before he came here. I'd expect those kind of results if Briles came here. I don't know why anyone would expect differently.

I do want an offensive guru as head coach though. I'd rather watch us with a prolific offense than a stout defense. Losing games 34-42 is more entertaining than losing games 14-17. If you think this team can simultaneously have a prolific offense and a stout defense I would kindly ask you to pass me the joint you've been smoking.

I think the Spurrier comparisions are unfair. It doesn't sound like Briles is a lazy ass like Spurrier was.

However LL, I do think age and the fact he has always been in Texas DO matter. The guy is human and it would be a total culture shock to him to come up from Texas to the DC area. And doing it all at age 58

I resent the notion that "version 5.0" of X's and O's and coaching is what this organization needs.  We've had just about every scheme and every playbook that has been floated around football for the past 15 years.

Briles might be a brilliant X's and O's guy- actually, I'm sure he is.  But I don't think that's the point that most of the detractors are even making.  Certainly not me.

I hear that and understand where you are coming from but I wonder how many fans were really upset with the Head Coaching hires when they were made. 

I remember mostly everyone being on board when Marty,Spurrier, Gibbs,and Shanahan were hired. Think the reaction to Zorn was somewhat positive that they hired a perceived up and comer, but my Zorn memories are fuzzy after "Maroon and Black".

So I don't think hiring is the issue but rather building around who is hired. 

Snyder wanted to strip the GM from Marty before the season even started and firing him is his worst mistake to date. Who had a problem with Gibbs running the show even with Vinny as a watchdog? 

I would like for them to hire a GM and work the process but I don't think that is realistic right now. Think we might see Bruce move around to a new role and Doug Williams join the front office, maybe Morroco gets a new title but that's probably it.

The wild card is AJ Smith. He's on the payroll as a consultant and he was rarely seen at Ashburn pre-Shanahan ESPN Leak gate/Chiefs game. But since then he has been around the facility a lot per C.Cooley. So  he is either helping Dan & Bruce put together a list of HC candidates OR he's preparing for a bigger role in the organization. But would fans really like AJ Smith? I wouldn't mind but fans hated when he was even hired as a consultant.  

I know he's played OT before but wonder if he projects to the NFL as a OT, like Brandon Albert.

Yeah, projecting Lineman is out of my wheelhouse lol 

I think the Spurrier comparisions are unfair. It doesn't sound like Briles is a lazy ass like Spurrier was.

However LL, I do think age and the fact he has always been in Texas DO matter. The guy is human and it would be a total culture shock to him to come up from Texas to the DC area. And doing it all at age 58

I understand it's a completely different style of offense and Briles is a completely different type of person but I just see it playing out the same exact way with Briles.

I'd take him, I just would have my expectations about where Spurrier had us. All I ask for is an entertaining offense to make football fun to watch.

I'd take him regardless of if you felt he was better suited where he currently is our moved to the opposite edge to Trent. 

Sadly, I don't foresee him falling to us. Someone will take that talent somewhere in the mid to lower first. 

Hail. 

I just can't see taking an OG in the second round when you need a RT more seems pricey for an OG. The very first thing I want for this offense going forward is a RT that can hold their own. But short of a RT I'll take a WR like Benjamin over any other OL need.

The wild card is AJ Smith. He's on the payroll as a consultant and he was rarely seen at Ashburn pre-Shanahan ESPN Leak gate/Chiefs game. But since then he has been around the facility a lot per C.Cooley. So  he is either helping Dan & Bruce put together a list of HC candidates OR he's preparing for a bigger role in the organization. But would fans really like AJ Smith? I wouldn't mind but fans hated when he was even hired as a consultant.  

If the organization is in a good place, it shouldn't matter who the fans like/dislike.

Fans will like winners and hate losers. Dan can't sell hope anymore

I just can't see taking an OG in the second round when you need a RT more seems pricey for an OG. The very first thing I want for this offense going forward is a RT that can hold their own. But short of a RT I'll take a WR like Benjamin over any other OL need.

I still wonder what the Skins have in Compton. But Benjamin is a beast and I doubt he's around in the 2nd but who knows. 

I appreciate that but honestly, for such an inside stud with THAT power and THAT athleticism, I don't think you'd be overpaying at all. 

And lest we forget, we have a RT currently developing and waiting for his chance who's not looked too shabby in the limited action he's seen to date. 

Hail. 

Some good quotes from a NY Times article:

“He’s the godfather of the spread offense, as far as I’m concerned,” said Mike Copeland, his longtime defensive coordinator at Stephenville, who remains an assistant there. “It was an entirely new culture. What we were doing, nobody else was doing that.”

For years, offensive juggernauts put their best athletes at tailback, handed them the ball and sent them forward. Briles put his best athletes at quarterback. It came down to simple math. A quarterback who could run had to be accounted for, and each receiver Briles sent wide took at least one other defender with him.

This opened rush lanes and pass lanes, and the fast-forward tempo forced defenses to remain on the field, with fewer opportunities to substitute. The same principles Briles preached at Stephenville — protect the quarterback with quick throws, install enough quarterback runs for defenses to respect the threat, remain unafraid to launch deep passes — work at Baylor.

Briles’s offenses have evolved over time — even, he said, over the course of this season. The Bears throw more to the tight end, for instance, because they have three tight ends they want to get the ball to. But the basics, the bedrocks, remain the same.

As he waxed poetic about the spread, it became clear that he saw the offensive scheme he helped proliferate as more than modern football. He saw it as an analogy for modern life.

“That’s how the world is,” Briles said. “The world is fast-paced. Everything’s instant. So that’s what people like. They like to see stuff happen now. This game. This drive. This snap. Whatever happened yesterday is old news. Hundreds of things have happened since. I mean, that’s why we don’t have a playbook. We have pictures. We have video. That’s how we teach it.”

Another problem I have with Briles offense....yes it does spread the field horizonatally presnap...but of course the hashtags in college are wider than in the pros. .

"Hash marks", bro.

Also, to the Briles fanboys (or anyone). With Briles being a lifelong Texan, do we know for certain he isn't a Cowboys fan?

wouldn't mind if he was strictly the personnel guy, and all the contract stuff was left to Bruce Allen[/]

AJ Smith is a tremendous talent evaluator, one of the best in the business. The 2013 draft had his fingerprints all over it. He's made some errs as a GM ( Norv) but he's had terrible luck - Drew Brees destroying his shoulder which made him impossible to keep with Rivers waiting in the wings, devastating injuries to his top OL talent (Marcus McNeill and Kris Dielman were top 5 players at T and G, and Nick Hardwick was good too), guys like V-Jax becoming headaches, etc, Merriman completely imploding, etc.

He played hardball a bit too much but look at his drafts, they are at worst mediocre and at their best, superb. His WORST draft class got the Chargers Eric Weddle.

I still wonder what the Skins have in Compton. But Benjamin is a beast and I doubt he's around in the 2nd but who knows. 

I thought Compton was as good as Polumbus 2 years ago, so I still think the kid can play.

But then again with this regime I've been wrong about every evaluation on OL.

The only OL they play that I've liked (other then Trent of course) is Hurt but then only play him in cases of emergency then he plays well and they ignore him.

in house line-up I would have liked to see:  (Hurt is on IR I know):

LT-Trent--

LG-LeRib (with some coaching/weight managment)

C-Gettis/Lichtensteiger

RG-Hurt

RT-Compton

Will a human being melt if they leave Texas for more than 5 days? Seriously...This is a bad argument. It doesn't matter if he has or hasn't left Texas. 

Texans might. Seriously, they start acting funny if you take them out of Texas. Especially when you put them in another state (like Virginia) that has better tax laws and better gun laws. Then they get angry, something about taking jerbs, God Bless Texas, and stomp around. Then, if you're lucky, they leave.

Seriously though, Briles would be an awful pick for HC for one reason: Sends the wrong message to RG3. Tells him that he can pout and dictate ownership decisions.

I wouldn't mind if he was strictly the personnel guy, and all the contract stuff was left to Bruce Allen

We've been in the freakin desert when it comes to GMs, I'm not gonna turn away a guy offering a case of water because he's a prick. And by all accounts AJ Smith might be a prick. But he's been a good GM when his personality/style doesn't screw things up for him.

My take he can be GM but before he speaks to a player he has to ask Bruce Allen how to talk them, lol.

AJ Smith to Bruce Allen: ~Hey Bruce I think this is what we should do with players X, Y and Z how can I tell them and talk to them without sounding like a prick myself?

Today we asked Art Briles if we were gonna put up 100 on UCF, and if that put pressure on him. He responds "that's not pressure, that's fun"

I like that attitude personally..

Mike Shanahan is an evil genius for making the firing of a 24-39 coach in the middle of a 3-12 season controversial, so controversial that people think it should affect FUTURE coaching hires because oftheir relationship with the QB.

If only he had put this much effort into his job.

Crazy right. People are use to dysfunctional relationships with 2 starting QB's in 4 years that a good coach/QB relationship is looked at like a bad thing. 

wouldn't mind if he was strictly the personnel guy, and all the contract stuff was left to Bruce Allen[/]

AJ Smith is a tremendous talent evaluator, one of the best in the business. The 2013 draft had his fingerprints all over it. He's made some errs as a GM ( Norv) but he's had terrible luck - Drew Brees destroying his shoulder which made him impossible to keep with Rivers waiting in the wings, devastating injuries to his top OL talent (Marcus McNeill and Kris Dielman were top 5 players at T and G, and Nick Hardwick was good too), guys like V-Jax becoming headaches, etc, Merriman completely imploding, etc.

He played hardball a bit too much but look at his drafts, they are at worst mediocre and at their best, superb. His WORST draft class got the Chargers Eric Weddle.

Yeah, so long as we're talking shopping for groceries, he may be the best available option.

What I would like to hear from detractors is the why's & then a constructive alternative & why.

It's not that your points are invalid. ..they're just not worthwhile within the context of this discussion. You can't drone on about our organizational ineptitude & how it will affect one guy without giving a credible counter & express validly why they are more capable to handle these issues & the ones the other is sufficient at. Logic fails at that point..or at least your argument falls to the feet of the instructing parent.

Look...most would agree that in a perfect world Dan is gone, or at least has an epiphany & hires a competent GM to handle all football operations. That is another forum however. It simply loses poignancy to even shine light on this fact in a discussion about coaching options & it begs for attention...I think is what people are getting at.

If you said Briles is not your guy because...site exhibit a ) failed media blah, exhibit b ) x's this o's that. ..etc...then people might be less combative about your post.

But when your post essentially amounts to no Briles because eff this organization. ..what does one even begin to think about that. It's totally indigestible beyond an avenue with which to pile on more anti-Dan, et al, sentiments.

I'm curious to hear what REAL TANGIBLE points one can bring to help explain why I shouldn't be excited for Briles as a HC when all things remain the same.

If you really all are as defeated as I am to say that nobody can turn this around besides a complete regime change starting with the owner, then there really isn't much else to say besides sayanara...we'll talk again in 15 years or so.

In this current reality...This topic exists for those wishing to push forward & forget for a few moments our own disfunction & ponder that, in a vacuum where all things are equal, why is Briles a good HC candidate?

I'm with you in believing that a HC change is probably just window dressing at this point. But that's because I don't believe anything will change & a retread will only be more mundane & unbearably boring to endure throughout this process.

Again...I just question why one would even bring it all up again in a topic where the premise is clearly meant to escape, if only for a minute, the arduous & pitiful reality of our organization. This stuff can all be said in other forums & has been ad nauseum. I simply fail to see why it's being brought up as a means to denigrate Briles's HC prowess.

Of course...I would be all ears & eyes if you wanted to present someone whom YOU might think would be capable of success in spite of this quagmire. Yes, we are quite aware that Dan may not change his ways anytime soon.

If Briles is hired.  I think the first thing he needs to say is that Kirk and Robert will compete.   That imediately dispells the "This is a develop Robert Griffin hire" that the media is going to run with.  

Robert is light years ahead of Kirk as a QB, so I think that would just be a ploy.

First thing the team should do is trade Kirk

Archived