Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'm more concerned with the media **** storm after Briles is hired. RGIII is gonna be labeled as the HHH of the Redskins.

If they are not talking about you, you are not much. Right now they are saying all the wrong things and rightfully so, I see no risk to this possible gain. The Skins need a fresh of breath air. Shanny has gotten stale and we need an injection of enthusiasm. As long as he found and brings a NFL type Defensive Skipper with him I see a huge upside. 

Oh God, this "no playbook" **** again...

Briles doesn't have a PAPER playbook, as in a big three ring binder full of diagrams of plays. Briles believes in reps. The team reps the same plays over and over and over and over and over again. And then all the players are given diagrams and videos of said plays on iPads to study and watch.

It's like people think Baylor lines up, Briles looks at the defense and starts makin' **** up. They have a "playbook", it's just honed in practice and on video tape instead of being a 300 page monstrosity player's have to "learn". (Even though a basic fundamental rule of learning football is that you learn by DOING, not by looking at black and white diagrams.)

If you don't want Briles, fine, but put the "he doesn't have a playbook" **** to rest.

How about you put the straw men to rest? Here you are after several years on ES, you are still the overly emotional raging dickhead know it all that you've been since day 1, perfecting the art of tearing down arguments you project on others. And didnt you pitch a complete baby fit a few months back saying you were done posting here? I'm almost positive that was you. Correct me if I'm wrong please

But again, I see you ignored the larger point. Please continue with your Briles sales job. You're doing a good job of firing up the base and being heard.

Also, watch your tone going forward. Mods are tired of your act, myself included. I've been a supporter of yours behind the scenes over the years but that ship has sailed

This is the most encouraging topic I have seen on ES for months. 

I am sold on Briles and have been intrigued by him ever since it became clear Kyle wouldn't run formations and plays that made everyone enamored with RG3 in the first place. Why risk another HC/OC that would square peg round hole him into a dated offense.  And bench him before adjusting, and of course, reserving those formations and plays for the backup. 

His age does not concern me since we learned that youth at OC does not lead to a dynamic offense, which seems perfect for a dynamic QB.

Yet you still respond and intentionally ignore the larger point

I get your point but it's lazy for anyone to push the "No Playbook" dig. That goes for everyone as a whole, not just you.

Who are you and what is your connection to the team? Why do you always say you will be at an ES Tailgate and then never show up?

Who are you getting wrong information from ? I said I would try to come 1 time and that's it. I have never committed to going to multiple tailgates, and me sayng "I'll see" is just me being nice to stop the being bugged about going. If I wanted to go. 

Any interest in covering a game? Just say the word, you and I can do one together. Just let me know.

No thank you, I like to enjoy the game & have it pretty good as it is. A lot of people on this board would enjoy that opportunity to be a little closer and see the team from a different view point.  

So back to the topic of the thread... 

From what I remember from watching RG3's Baylor cutups, Cyril wasn't very good at T.

I honestly don't remember how he played. Know he was a LT for awhile but not sure why he kicked inside.  

How about you put the straw men to rest? Here you are after several years on ES, you are still the overly emotional raging dickhead know it all that you've been since day 1, perfecting the art of tearing down arguments you project on others. And didnt you pitch a complete baby fit a few months back saying you were done posting here? I'm almost positive that was you. Correct me if I'm wrong please

But again, I see you ignored the larger point. Please continue with your Briles sales job. You're doing a good job of firing up the base and being heard.

Also, watch your tone going forward. Your next ban is permanent

Oh like a give a flying **** if I'm permabanned. I was doing fine without ES, I'll do fine without it.

You're the ****ing ****bite who came in bagging on the guy about not having a playbook and about his age, then accuse us of making strawman arguments over some **** you said, you prick. If you have a condescending ass tone, you'll get one back, especially from me, who gives no ****s about the lack of stupid I'll endure if you ban me. 

Without a competent GM to bring in talent, Briles is just Gibbs 2.0 at best.  Give Shanny a franchise QB, with talented players and he wins two SB's.  Not going to waste your time commenting about the rest, but Seattle and San Fran acquired quality talent and it shows on the field.  The current Seattle coach is just a quality coach winning with quality players.  He is not any type of HOF quality coach even if he goes on to win the SB.  The Denver coach just won a bunch of regular season games the last two seasons.  Do you think he did it because of his masterful coaching job?

And, really, the comments about the no playbook really bothered people?  Clearly, the guy can coach football, demonstrates leadership, etc.  Saying he does or does not have a playbook is kind of meaningless.  People, clearly, believe he can translate into the NFL.  I have not idea if he can or cannot.

It would at least be interesting to see him try.  Danny heading South to court this guy, after brining in some GM to agree with him is not the answer and will just result in more of the same.  Despite how good Briles is.

Yell at me if you want, but one or two posters were right about the organization not being able to handle Briles if Danny is the one making the call.

Oh like a give a flying **** if I'm permabanned. I was doing fine without ES, I'll do fine without it.

You're the ****ing ****bite who came in bagging on the guy about not having a playbook and about his age, then accuse us of making strawman arguments over some **** you said, you prick. If you have a condescending ass tone, you'll get one back, especially from me, who gives no ****s about the lack of stupid I'll endure if you ban me. 

speaking of baby fits, yah, that was you. 

The one time this organization tried to do it the correct way, Vinny Cerrato hired Jim Zorn. We can't even do the basic things. I don't see an environment where a Head Coach can come in and be successful right now, especially a college head coach with no playbook.

Would hardly say we approached the Zorn hire the correct way. We hired our coordinators before we hired a head coach! Who does that? Of course head coaching candidates would turn us down if they couldn't even have say in hiring a staff.

I will say that no matter who we target as our "#1 candidate," we need to bring in a bevy of candidates. Al Davis always used the interview process to pick as many brains as he could, Belichick's included - even when both parties knew that Davis would be ultimately hiring an offensive minded coach.

Our brass, lead by a new GM, needs to hear as many opinions as possible about how we should go about correcting this team. How to go about getting the most out of RGIII. etc.

If Art Briles is the best candidate, I think many here could/would get behind it. We'd be making a mistake if we fired up the jet and hired Briles a la the 12:01 free agency fervency. The process should be questioned, but I've yet to hear a really strong argument against the eventual hiring of Briles. The no-playbook thing is an issue I'd be curious to hear a player perspective on, and the immediate team/media response thinking this was an RGIII-lead hire is something I think would be an issue up until training camp. .. Other than that..?

Not for nothing, but I think sometimes posters ought to put down the keyboard and take a breather. I know we are all emotionally tied to the downfall of the team this year but let's not attack each other, there is still a Philly/Dallas game to aim our venom. NLC I have enjoyed you're points of view on the team since you have been here, the board would loose a good contributor if you left. While I am sure you would be fine, I don't know that you won't regret it down the road. With that said when a Mod tells you to cool it, maybe step back and think on it for a minute, this is not  time for chest thumping bravado but maybe a deep breather and a sigh. The team sucks and we are all just conversing here. 

Would hardly say we approached the Zorn hire the correct way. We hired our coordinators before we hired a head coach! Who does that? Of course head coaching candidates would turn us down if they couldn't even have say in hiring a staff.

Yah that's my point.  We take a stab at building a traditional organization by putting a "football" guy in place to make football decisions... it ends up being Vinny Cerrato.  We conduct a coaching search and it turns out the only candidate who even wants to come here is our Offensive Coordinator that was already hired.

My point is, even traditional models fail here. 

We shouldn't even be talking about a coach at this point, at least in the sense that the right coach is going to come in here and fix this organization.

But coming up here to DC, from Texas, with nonsense like the media, traffic, taxes, home prices, weather, AND adjusting to the NFL all at the age of 58? 

We really talking about taxes,home prices,weather, and taxes ? Come on bro

I am of the belief football is a young man's game, and all else being equal you go with the younger guy.

All things are not equal tho. Go with the better guy. 

rookie HC who has literally never spent more then 5 consecutive days outside of the state of Texas.

Will a human being melt if they leave Texas for more than 5 days? Seriously...This is a bad argument. It doesn't matter if he has or hasn't left Texas. 

Has Art Briles ever been offered an opportunity outside of Texas? Do you know? Maybe he's stayed in Texas because that is where all of his offers for employment have been.  

I'm treating this as an X's and O's discussion based the facts. Everything else is white noise that is not even relevant to the discussion IMO. I mean M.Brunell had to take J.Gibbs to the hospital after a dinner in Florida, and he had surgery to put a stint in his heart at one point. I don't remember anyone saying Gibbs was too old. I understand Joe had a history with us and this organization but the age argument kills me. 

I like this debate/topic and enjoy discussing it. People shouldn't get confused and think Briles is my #1 option because he isn't. But I do believe that Briles is a guy that has done enough to be judged on his own merits. 

Other moderators.

Then you have been misinformed.

Open invite just let me know. :cheers:

I'm good, have a great thing going already. 

I like this debate/topic and enjoy discussing it. People shouldn't get confused and think Briles is my #1 option because he isn't. But I do believe that Briles is a guy that has done enough to be judged on his own merits. 

I resent the notion that "version 5.0" of X's and O's and coaching is what this organization needs.  We've had just about every scheme and every playbook that has been floated around football for the past 15 years.

Briles might be a brilliant X's and O's guy- actually, I'm sure he is.  But I don't think that's the point that most of the detractors are even making.  Certainly not me.

My hunch is that Briles really doesn't have any intention of coaching in the NFL this year.

But IF Briles wants to coach in the NFL in his own right, not because Dan came begging, but because of a burning desire to bring unleash his offense scheme on the NFL, then I would hate to lose out on the chance.

But for Briles to work here a lot of organizational changes need to happen and need to happen fast because putting together a staff for Briles imho requires more work from a GM when it comes to putting together a staff.

Now I'm sure Briles has ties to the NFL but not as many as someone entrenched in the NFL so the GM will have to manage and coordinate those hires. He's gonna have to understand Briles and have a sense for what he needs and balance that against what he wants and what will work.

We can't have the same structure that allowed Zorn to be sand bagged by the lack of GM and actual Dan Snyder meddling through his proxy Vinnie. We're gonna need a GM with the strength to both guide and pushback against the HC if needed. (Dan too)

I think the Eagles would be a good model to follow if Briles was hired. They paired Kelly who lacked any NFL experience with a proven OC and former HC. This is a tricky situation because pairing an experienced former OC in a junior role to an innovative but NFL novice HC could have obvious conflict. But Kelly/Briles imho will need that person that can translate the HC vision into workable NFL concepts and convey that vision in a NFL language that the players can understand. The OC will have to troubleshoot and use his knowledge of NFL defenses to help the HC streamline his concepts and filter out  what will/won't work and how to tweak them to make them work. When you look at Briles age in regards to this dynamic its a positive because Briles is mature enough that he won't be threatened by a veteran HC.

Basically we're gonna need to find a "Pat Shurmur" for Art Briles.

Pat Shurmur knew the Eagles WCO and verbiage and brought his knowledge as a OC/HC to translate/convert Kelly's concepts.

IF Briles wants to coach

IF there is the right structure in place: GM +veteran offensive coordinator preferably from a similar verbiage to what we currently run

It could work.

To be honest, I see no shame in keeping Shanahan for another year or seeking a change right now. Snyder for all his faults has backed off the "I am owner, I am GM ledge" that Jones still walks. He is young and still is growing himself. I don't believe everything I read or hear, I do believe what I see, He hasn't reacted like a fan and fired Shanny mid-season. In fact not a peep through out all this media **** storm. We don't know what he is planning to be honest and that is how it should be. 

I will say that no matter who we target as our "#1 candidate," we need to bring in a bevy of candidates. Al Davis always used the interview process to pick as many brains as he could, Belichick's included - even when both parties knew that Davis would be ultimately hiring an offensive minded coach.

Our brass, lead by a new GM, needs to hear as many opinions as possible about how we should go about correcting this team. How to go about getting the most out of RGIII. etc.

If Art Briles is the best candidate, I think many here could/would get behind it. We'd be making a mistake if we fired up the jet and hired Briles a la the 12:01 free agency fervency. The process should be questioned, but I've yet to hear a really strong argument against the eventual hiring of Briles. The no-playbook thing is an issue I'd be curious to hear a player perspective on, and the immediate team/media response thinking this was an RGIII-lead hire is something I think would be an issue up until training camp. .. Other than that..?

Actually Jim Fassel was technically the Head Coach with Jim Zorn as the OC, and Blache the DC. So the staff was set up how Fassel wanted it to be, but Daniel Snyder changed his mind based of the reaction and PERCEPTION of the fan base, he left Fassel with cold feet and promoted Zorn. 

So the moral of the story is listening to the outside perception could get you Jim Zorn as your Head Coach. Food for thought.

Another problem I have with Briles offense....yes it does spread the field horizonatally presnap...but of course the hashtags in college are wider than in the pros.  You will obviously have more field to cover on one side of the field, whereas in the pros that will not be the case.  For example, let's say the offense is on the right hash.  In college, you get more wiggle room as far as outs and fades from your left receivers, and slants from your right receivers.  Of course that leaves room for error for your QB as well.  In the pros, you don't have that luxury. 

I know he's played OT before but wonder if he projects to the NFL as a OT, like Brandon Albert.

I'd take him regardless of if you felt he was better suited where he currently is our moved to the opposite edge to Trent. 

Sadly, I don't foresee him falling to us. Someone will take that talent somewhere in the mid to lower first. 

Hail. 

Steve Spurrier was a pretty great offensive coach before he came here. I'd expect those kind of results if Briles came here. I don't know why anyone would expect differently.

I do want an offensive guru as head coach though. I'd rather watch us with a prolific offense than a stout defense. Losing games 34-42 is more entertaining than losing games 14-17. If you think this team can simultaneously have a prolific offense and a stout defense I would kindly ask you to pass me the joint you've been smoking.

Archived