Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

8 of 32 is 25% of the league's coaches are on the hot seat according to the article.  Thought there are three on the list I find hard to believe are actually on the hot seat. The list:

1. Dirk Koetter, Buccaneers.  Honestly, I keep forgetting he's actually the coach of the Bucs.  Doubt he is after this season. 

2. Vance Joseph, Broncos.  Yep, hot seat.  Better QB and should have a defense.  And only an average division. 

3. Hugh Jackson, Browns.  Sure, if you win 1 game in 2 years, you're on the hot seat.

4. John Harbaugh, Ravens.  See, this one I disagree with.  I don't think the Ravens would fire John unless he completely tanked a few season in a row.  He is a SB winning HC for them, and they're mostly competitive year in and year out.  Plus he's a ****, and that plays well for a team that has a reputation of being full of them.

5. Jay Gruden, Redskins.  I think so. 

6. Adam Gase, Dolphins.  Who?

7. Jason Garrett, Cowboys.  I think most of the fans would have fired him a while ago, but Jerrah loves his boy.  I doubt he gets fired unless the whole thing turns into a dumpster fire. 

8. Marvin Lewis.  Hasn't it been sortof proven that he gets to retire whenever he wants to, and will never get fired even if he can't win a playoff game?

The Ravens owner has already said, Harbaugh has to make the playoffs this year.   He gave strong consideration to firing him last year but decided not to.  This year, John has to produce.

He could be someone Dan goes after,  if we change coaches and is available.

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Ravens owner has already said, Harbaugh has to make the playoffs this year.   He gave strong consideration to firing him last year but decided not to.  This year, John has to produce.

He could be someone Dan goes after,  if we change coaches and is available.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. 

And if Dan hires Harbaugh, eh, well, the guys is a ****. (The sound a rooster makes)  But he's competent.  Even if he doesn't know a good OC from a hole in the wall...

10 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I always have trouble seeing the color difference when it is actually a link?  I was quite confused why you came in and asked that question when you had responded to the list like 2 posts back.  Then I realized it was a link and not just a question.

Just copy the link title, when posting over the link.

I think Mike Tomlin may join the hot list if the Steelers have another game like today.

27 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Only two games in but I predict Pat Shurmur and Matt Patricia could be one and done if things don't turn around. 

Patricia i don’t see getting fired after 1 season. The lions almost won yesterday, only lost by 3. That’s better than the disaster last Monday night ? 

i don’t see shurmur getting fired after just 1 year either. What’s the point of that? He’s inherited a bad o line and an aging QB, why not give him time to fix it through the draft and FA?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:42 PM, Boss_Hogg said:

Only two games in but I predict Pat Shurmur and Matt Patricia could be one and done if things don't turn around. 

Shurmur was great in the role he had before being hired as HC. Some people don't need to be elevated. The Giants will learn that the hard way. Patricia.....I never believed the hype.

Watching hard knocks made me realize how much of a goober Hue Jackson is. I can't believe he survived the 0-16 campaign. He should have been iced before the start of this year. 

I'm kind of surprised about Haley, but I get the feeling ownership wasn't thrilled about how Haley was using Baker. 

• Like 1

Interesting, initial reports (and from multiple sources) had Al Saunders as interim HC. Wonder where they got that info.....presumptuous or he didn't want it? I would've loved to see him in that post.

btw, is Wilford Brimley still coaching the OL in Cleveland?

9 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Interesting, initial reports (and from multiple sources) had Al Saunders as interim HC. Wonder where they got that info.....presumptuous or he didn't want it? I would've loved to see him in that post.

btw, is Wilford Brimley still coaching the OL in Cleveland?

They just got confused on which former Redskins coordinator was getting it. :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Watching hard knocks made me realize how much of a goober Hue Jackson is. I can't believe he survived the 0-16 campaign. He should have been iced before the start of this year. 

I'm kind of surprised about Haley, but I get the feeling ownership wasn't thrilled about how Haley was using Baker. 

This.  Watching Hard Knocks, he seemed like a nice guy, etc.  But I got the impression that Haley and Williams didn't really respect him as a head coach.  I remember that one episode where they were discussing resting players during practice and Haley voices his opinion and Hue talks down to him like he has never been a head coach before and Gregg has that **** you look on his face and Haley was clearly pissed.  

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/08/hue-jackson-todd-haley-spar-over-resting-players-on-hard-knocks/

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Jackson never had any business being a HC. And I love the designation of Al Saunders as the interim HC. Gregg is outta there at the end of the season, and Dorsey will be able to bring in his own crew, as should've been the case last off-season.

I think he deserved a shot somewhere, he got it and blew it.  I'm sure that he will end up as a O coordinator again somewhere.

46 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I hope Gregggg can make the most of this opportunity. I liked him when he was here and it would be cool to see him become headcoach and turn the browns around 

I always liked Gregg, was ticked off when Gibbs retired and he didn't get the head coaching job.  If the Browns defense was ranked higher, I'd say that he might have a shot, but while they aren't horrible, I think the GM cleans house and he's out.  Not sure how long his contract is, that might play a factor.  

For all we know, he might not want to be a head coach again, once he got the shaft here, perhaps he is fine with just being a defensive coordinator.