Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

38 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

We got stuck with Zorn because no one would come here. Doesn't seem like there's been a huge interest in the Giants job. 

Would've had Gregg Williams, who deserved the HC position here, if Snyder wasn't......well, Snyder.

Who else had interviewed for the NYG position so far? Skins had courted Rivera for a while and Dallas (McCarthy) is just as high profile as NYG.....and is probably set up to win immediately more.

Does anyone know the details of Rivera's contract with us yet?  Apparently Rhule's deal with the Panthers is 7 years for 60 million, with incentives to drive it up to 70 mill.  Wow!

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait....so they have to ask permission....to interview a coach.....who has been let go? 

Da **** sense does that make 😂😂😂 

also, if you want a good laugh, read the comments in that tweet 😂😂😂😂😂 pure gold. Giants fans saying “brb gonna go die” and other nfc east fans being like “PLEASE HIRE HIM!!!” 

It depends on whether they outright fired him and therefore released him from the terms of the contract, or if they just said we will not be renewing your contract, you are free to leave.  In the case of the latter the terms of the contract will still control until the contract runs out.

39 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Or are they going to interview him for OC? 

That is what the ESPN reports indicates.

Seems like a weird match, to me. In fact, the whole thing seems odd--like Gettleman and the Giants are being too clever by half.

Two weeks ago, the Redskins and Browns were both shaping up to have coaching vacancies. The Browns were the Chosen Ones, stacked with superstars and an awesome GM just waiting for coaches to beg for the privilege come along for the ride. During those two weeks, the Redskins signed the first head coach off the market and the Browns still haven't signed anyone. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Where's your Urban Meyer now? B)

Edited by NickyJ

Giants were big on Rhule. 
McCarthy wanted the Giants job (partly because he is very high on Daniel Jones) but Jerrah made him an offer he couldn't refuse and word was out the Giants had their eye on Rhule so McCarthy went with the bird in hand.

Rhule wanted the Giants but Carolina absolutely gave him the farm at 7 yrs with incentives up to 70mil plus a buyout of his contract at Baylor. As a courtesy Rhule called the Giants (before even interviewing) to see if they'd match that. Giants said no we have other guys in mind but thanks.

Judge was hired by his alma mater MSU, and was going to take that job, but the Giants jumped on him as soon as Rhule was Rhuled out so as to not let Judge get away.

Belichek spoke with Mara and endorsed Judge heavily.

Garrett is interviewing for OC at NYG.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Two weeks ago, the Redskins and Browns were both shaping up to have coaching vacancies. The Browns were the Chosen Ones, stacked with superstars and an awesome GM just waiting for coaches to beg for the privilege come along for the ride. During those two weeks, the Redskins signed the first head coach off the market and the Browns still haven't signed anyone. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Where's your Urban Meyer now? B)

I think it's rather obvious that Haslam can't help himself and took what was the makings of something good and basically took a dump on it and flushed.  

They'll probably hire McDaniels and it will be a disaster.

For one thing, I'm not sure why everyone thinks McDaniel is going to be some slam-dunk hire. He flamed out spectacularly his first time as a HC. Yeah, he's done great in NE before and after. He's also had the GOAT coach and QB -- kinda helps.

And for another.... well, it's the Browns under Haslam. 

• Like 1

McDaniels may well find himself with no option other than returning to NE. The Giants didn't bother to wait to interview him, and BB gave a full throttled endorsement of Judge. That's telling. The Panthers and Cowboys didn't wait, either. I wonder if DePodesta has plugged all the data into his Marvin Martian PU-36 Space Modulator and come up with a candidate other than McDaniels that he thinks would be better suited to steer the Browns. If I were in charge up there, McDaniels wouldn't be my hire.

26 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Didn’t McDaniels back out of a deal a couple years back?  That may make teams hesitant to wait on him.  

That Indy thing was just something you don't do. And he was a total prick in Denver. You can be a prick if you're winning, but he left that place with a losing record and a bad reputation. I think he's poison ivy, and wouldn't hire him. The Browns have enough viable options that they won't feel pressed to jump on McDaniels. Hell, the Giants and Panthers didn't even bother to wait to interview him. It says a lot.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Still cant wrap my brain around that Rhule contract. Tepper already putting a target on his back.

If it works, then it won't matter.  The guy has $12 Billion. He spent over $2  Billion to get the team.

He is going to spend his money to make sure the Panthers have the best , so they can have a chance to win.

Will it work, we will see.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:31 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

If it works, then it won't matter.  

It will always matter. But if he wins and can be a valuable contributor to the pot, then he'll be tolerated. But he actively just raised the negotiating price for all the other coaches. To think that is irrelevant is very shortsighted. 

Your New 2020 Coaches 

1. Redskins- Hire Ron Rivera

2. Cowboys- Hire Mike McCarthy

3. Panthers- Hire Matt Rhule

4. Giants- Hire Joe Judge

5. Browns- Hire Kevin Stefanski

Baring a last minute surprise it looks like the Hiring/Firing cycle for this year is over.

Coaches jobs saved for 2020 Hot Seat 

1. Falcons- Quinn coming back, on 2020 Hot seat

2. Lions- Patricia coming back, on 2020 Hot seat

3. Jets- Gase coming back, on 2020 Hot seat

4. Jaguars- Marone coming back, on 2020 Hot Seat

Besides those 4 coaches who saved their jobs but are on the 2020 Hot Seat, these other coaches are on the hot seat also for 2020:

Chargers- Anthony Lynn needs to have a playoff season, as Chargers move into new stadium.  If he doesn't, he's probably gone.

Vikings- Zimmer is on the last year of his contract, unless it gets extended. He needs to go further in 2020 or he's probably done.

Bears- Nagy probably needs to return to the playoffs for 2020.

Bengals- Taylor probably needs to show some improvement for 2020. Say going from 2-14 to at least 6-10 with their new rookie QB.

Texans- After yesterday's choke, O'brien is on hot seat.

The last time that multiple coaches saves their jobs, the next year the NFL had a high amount of turnover. Not a good sign for coaches who saved their jobs.

Edited by Rdskns2000

• 2 weeks later...

For Zac Taylor's sake over at Cincy, I hope that guy bolsters that coaching staff. He had one of the weakest in the league this past season, but now he has a chance to start revamping his staff with people who weren't available at this time last season. They've already made a few moves on the defensive side of the ball (Al Golden for LBs and Steven Jackson to work with the DBs). If they do indeed plan to draft Burrow, it might behoove them to give Jim Caldwell a call. Taylor needs a more seasoned NFL mind to help steer that ship and to help develop Burrow.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Anthony Lynn won't be on the seat for a while, he just got a contract extension.

Anthony Lynn agrees to contract extension with Chargers

That's no guarantee.

Jeff Fisher was fired two weeks after signing a contract extension:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jeff-fisher-fired-rams-coach-week-signing-extension-article-1.2908212

• 7 months later...

With the season about to start, USA Today published their  Week 1 Coaches on the Hot Seat for 2020:

NFL coach hot seat rankings: Matt Patricia, Adam Gase already on notice ahead of Week 1  

I would add:

6. Bill O'Brien

7. Anthony Lynn - Yeah they gave him an extension but the lesser LA team needs excitement to draw in people.  They aren't going to wait for Lynn to groom the rookie.

Edited by Rdskns2000