Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What IDIOT called for a 2-pt converion?

william1970

You've turned the ball over7 times already, your starting LT is hurt, and your defense has been historically bad all season. Why risk injury by playing OT? If you don't win the coin toss, your offense probably won't see the field. And at 3-10 what do you have to lose?

Also, the players loved the call:

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen 

Fred Davis on the 2PC attempt: "Might as well try to win. [Coach] had faith in us to get it done. We just didn't make the play."

Brian Orakpo on 2PC: "You've got 2 teams not fighting for the playoffs. You might as well go for two. We was all egging coach on to do it."

Trent Williams: "Everybody on the team liked the going for two call. We liked that he tried to put the game in our hands."

I have always heard "go for the win on the road, go for the tie at home." I liked the call. In this month's ESPN The Magazine, they have stats that say when you pass for the 2 point conversion, you succeed 44% of the time. When you run for it, you succeed 57% of the time.  I thought that was interesting. Morris could have gotten that in. The chances of Morris getting the 2 pt. conversion is greater than us winning in OT in my opinion, especially with a 7 turnover day.  At 3-10, I loved the call. Had we been successful and won the game as a result of that, Dallas week would seem to be a bit more fun. It would have been great to win that way. We went down swinging and I'm cool with that.

Buddy? who the ef are you? and have you ever played organized football? most of you morons havent, and before you ask, yes I have, for about 15 years!

Ah, an internet tough guy. Historically the success rate on a two point conversion is 50%. So don't even try to tell me we had a better odds of winning in OT...on the road.

The game? ;)

Doest a win get us closer to the playoffs?

We could have lost the game either way. The coin toss is 50/50 and if the Falcons got the ball I have no faith our D would have stopped them. 

The point is that in the grand scheme of things this was a mole hill that Shanahan haters are trying to turn into a mountain.

To be in what playoff seed position for final 2 games?  

Exactly.  However, I firmly believe that the team and coaches should always play for the win.  The GM and the fans can think about draft slotting, but otherwise, it should always be do what you can to win.

I don't mind the call, but this call always gets second guessed when it fails and there's a reason for that.  It's putting all your chips on one roll of the dice.

You've turned the ball over7 times already, your starting LT is hurt, and your defense has been historically bad all season. Why risk injury by playing OT? If you don't win the coin toss, your offense probably won't see the field. And at 3-10 what do you have to lose?

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen 

Fred Davis on the 2PC attempt: "Might as well try to win. [Coach] had faith in us to get it done. We just didn't make the play."

Brian Orakpo on 2PC: "You've got 2 teams not fighting for the playoffs. You might as well go for two. We was all egging coach on to do it."

Trent Williams: "Everybody on the team liked the going for two call. We liked that he tried to put the game in our hands."

Good quotes from the players --- shows that the team appreciated going for the win instead of playing for OT.

Great to hear Trent Williams summing up how the team felt in being aggressive and trying to win even though so many "experts" on here feel it was the wrong call

+1!!!!

Given the situation I hated it. Priority should be Kirk's development and trade value, and a good deal of the positive he build on that last drive goes away with one play.

I agree, that's the way I looked at it. Our percentages on making that play is about the same as our onside kicks. I knew when they lined up for it I felt "oh well, we lost, now 3-11." I know it doesn't matter because of how our season is at this year, but we've already shown this year that we can win in OT.

I was meh with the call

Sure as **** Kyle dials up a long slow developing play with Cousins in the pocket, flushed. Fail.

If it worked, we would all love it.

The play before the TD was a thing of beauty, he rolled the entire pocket left. Easy TD to Moss.

Where the hell has that play been all year?

I consider it very rude only Cousins gets the OL rolled out with him.

I agree, that's the way I looked at it. Our percentages on making that play is about the same as our onside kicks. I knew when they lined up for it I felt "oh well, we lost, now 3-11." I know it doesn't matter because of how our season is at this year, but we've already shown this year that we can win in OT.

Yeah, if Griffin's playing, I wouldn't mind the call at all. But as it was, a very large portion of the impression of Cousins' day was being gambled on one low percentage play.

Archived