Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What IDIOT called for a 2-pt converion?

william1970

I personally hate the call.

having said that, it is a defendable call to make.

my feeling is the only reason we weren't winning handily were a bunch of relatively flukey turnovers.  morris and moss are pretty surehanded dudes, and Cousins usually does an adequate job protecting the ball.  I don 't believe in "fumbleitis".  I don't believe Morris or Moss were likely to lose the ball a third time.  our offense was beating their defense and our defense was doing okay too.  I would put our chances in overtime at FAR better than 48%, which is the NFL average for two-point conversions. 

I HATED not taking the tie and going for it in overtime.  But I admit there is a reasonable case to be made for it, even though I disagree with it.

I think it needs to be said with Helu in the game, play action is gone. Nothing against Helu who has run for some tough yards, but still. If he is not going out into pass patterns, he is not selling run nearly as well as Morris.

I would have preferred Gibbs Jumbo heavy and pass it. The only time we did it this year we had 3 guys wide open in the end zone, including Compton.

We should factor in Kyles likely play calls when deciding to go for 2. He rarely to never has QBs pass the ball into the endzone. Its mind boggling.

I think it needs to be said with Helu in the game, play action is gone. Nothing against Helu who has run for some tough yards, but still. If he is not going out into pass patterns, he is not selling run nearly as well as Morris.

I would have preferred Gibbs Jumbo heavy and pass it. The only time we did it this year we had 3 guys wide open in the end zone, including Compton.

We should factor in Kyles likely play calls when deciding to go for 2. He rarely to never has QBs pass the ball into the endzone. Its mind boggling.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Now you and I both know Kyle is not creative enough to do that. And for arguments sake even if he was capable he wouldn't do it because it is not a product of his, or dad's playbook.

Hail

The Marta train I was on was packed with Skins fans, one woman from Bowie with the pink "10" jersey, told me her father deals in jersey sales up there, and she was LIVID.  (And my friend thought I was mad.)  Packed in like sardines, we were the most angry fans at that decision.  A lot of the consensus was, "Well, the Shannys just wanted to end the game & get the hell outta Dodge", and my response was, "He can go now, we fans sure won't stop him, but he's got 7 million reasons to hang around, unfortunately", which got a round of laughter from Falcons fans.

I'm sick of being laughed at by these "folks".  In April, I'll have lived here 25 years, and I'm ****ing sick of it.

I got just the smallest taste of what you STHs have gone through over the last 20 years, and my heart bleeds for every one of you.  After being that close, knowing you play to win the game, it took a lot not to cry, knowing we had a chance. 

Hail.

I personally hate the call.

having said that, it is a defendable call to make.

my feeling is the only reason we weren't winning handily were a bunch of relatively flukey turnovers.  morris and moss are pretty surehanded dudes, and Cousins usually does an adequate job protecting the ball.  I don 't believe in "fumbleitis".  I don't believe Morris or Moss were likely to lose the ball a third time.  our offense was beating their defense and our defense was doing okay too.  I would put our chances in overtime at FAR better than 48%, which is the NFL average for two-point conversions. 

I HATED not taking the tie and going for it in overtime.  But I admit there is a reasonable case to be made for it, even though I disagree with it.

I thought it was a no brainer to take the game into OT, and the Skins would win. I love being aggressive, but at that point in the game it looked like the Skins had the mojo on both sides of the ball. Guess it further proves my point that ShanaScam has alot more faith in his Offense compared to his Defense.

Another thing that makes it a bad call is: even if the 2 point conversation is successful it limits Cousins chance of putting up more stats potentially giving the Redskins a better trade value for Cousins.

Hail

The Marta train I was on was packed with Skins fans, one woman from Bowie with the pink "10" jersey, told me her father deals in jersey sales up there, and she was LIVID.  (And my friend thought I was mad.)  Packed in like sardines, we were the most angry fans at that decision.  A lot of the consensus was, "Well, the Shannys just wanted to end the game & get the hell outta Dodge", and my response was, "He can go now, we fans sure won't stop him, but he's got 7 million reasons to hang around, unfortunately", which got a round of laughter from Falcons fans.

I'm sick of being laughed at by these "folks".  In April, I'll have lived here 25 years, and I'm ****ing sick of it.

I got just the smallest taste of what you STHs have gone through over the last 20 years, and my heart bleeds for every one of you.  After being that close, knowing you play to win the game, it took a lot not to cry, knowing we had a chance. 

Hail.

Hang in there, just 2 more weeks of the ShannaScam show. The ShannaScam show jumped the shark after the first quarter of the Seattle playoff game. Ain't that right Chipwhich? ;)​ 

Hail

People make it like a 50/50 chance that if we go to OT we lose anyway. Its 50/50 on the 2 point conversion, but with the new OT rules, if the other team only gets a field goal, we still get a chance at possession to tie the game so I'd say OT is more complicated than just a 50/50 proposition, especially when they only scored one TD that wasn't off a turnover and short field.

Personally, I knew they were probably going to go for 2 before we scored the TD, and I knew it was a decision I would disagree with, but I also knew it would happen because we're 3-10 and who gives a **** if we win or lose? The Rams, that's who. Personally, I say **** the Rams, we should have fought to give them a pick which was lower by even one place in the top 5, but whatever.

Hail.

I feel like going for the two point conversion is the very definition of “playing to win the game”. That decision is one that if it works, you're a hero, and if it doesn’t you’re a goat. No problem with the decision whatsoever.

I like the call. Why risk injury in OT? Show some balls and get the win

Why risk injury?   Ha,.....yeah,...that's why they went for the 2 pt conv.

If you're truly trying to win the game you go with the better odds, kick the extra point and play the OT.  If you're team's 3-10 and sucks and you want to get off the field as soon as possible you go for 2.

I feel like going for the two point conversion is the very definition of “playing to win the game”. That decision is one that if it works, you're a hero, and if it doesn’t you’re a goat. No problem with the decision whatsoever.

And I won't try to change your opinion. In that moment in time, I just thought we stood a better chance at a win with a coin toss, and hopefully a sustained drive down the field, playing to Kirk's stronger assets, rather than just a "one play or nothing" approach. If Shanny doesn't mind being a "goat", good for him. I'm a fan of 40 years. I'm not cool with that. Just my pennies.

And I won't try to change your opinion. In that moment in time, I just thought we stood a better chance at a win with a coin toss, and hopefully a sustained drive down the field, playing to Kirk's stronger assets, rather than just a "one play or nothing" approach. If Shanny doesn't mind being a "goat", good for him. I'm a fan of 40 years. I'm not cool with that. Just my pennies.

That's fine. I am a long time fan also, as well as a long time season ticket holder. Unfortunately I've witnessed many difficult loses; this just wasn't one of them.

I hated the play call. Statistically speaking the 2pt conversion was the wrong move.

Trade value on Kirk speaking it was the bad move because if he drives down the field in OT and scores that really ups his stock.

Kirk getting reps value it was the wrong move.

Potentially locking the Rams into the number 1 pick was the wrong move. I'd rather have the 34th pick then the 33rd if it meant stopping a team from getting your pick which was going to be 1st overall.

Also about all this "he didn't quit" talk, he did quit damnit the 2 pt conversion is the easy way out you end the game right there if he was not giving up he would take the extra point and go into OT thats what a team who is in the hunt would do. I know we are not in the hunt but play like the games mean something don't just play like a bunch of losers giving up on the season. 

ALSO if you play to not risk injuries then you should not be playing sports. Injuries happen all the time maybe we should sit our starters next season in the first game to prevent injury.

This is "cut off your nose to spite your face" logic.

First, how many would have loved to have a top 5 or top10 pick in rounds 2 - 7 last year rather than the 19th pick? Everyone.

You simply have to forget about the first round, that money is spent, the pick is gone and there is no getting it back. BUT, there are still picks in every other round and right now the Redskins are guaranteed a top 5 pick in each, be happy with that.

As disappointing and dysfunctional as this season has been I have tried to look at it not as a single terrible season but as a decent 2 seasons with a good young quarterback who more talented than any this team has had in the past 20 years. Like a few have mentioned before, If the seasons had been flipped and the team wins 4 or 5 games last year (garnering the 2nd pick in the draft) and then wins the division this year the situation is totally different and this is not a circus. I also realize that if Ifs and Buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas, so... Point is, Griffin has been here 2 years and the second year he is coming off major knee surgery. He has taken a step back in development. But even with that the offense is top 10 in the NFL, top 10 in yards. I dont know how well Haslett sleeps at night but he must be doing something right because on any other team in any other situation the talk and the turmoil would be all over the defense. If he could muster a top 20 defense this team would be winning the division, no question.

Shanahan may not be the best, either of them, but they are good enough and have proven it as offensive play callers. Now drafting and choosing a coaching staff, that is in doubt. I say, turn over the D (coaches and several players), new ST coordinator, bring in or start listening to your talent evaluators during the draft (except for 6th round RBs, Mike, that is all yours) and play this out at least for one more year.

As far a reps for KC go, I dont think 1 or 2 more series in OT were going to change anything. If you think a "game winning" drive in OT was going to suddenly garner a #1 I think you are mistaken. Besides, KC did lead the potential game tieing / game winning drive yesterday. And he stills has 2 more games to improve on his resume. He is worth at least a 2 right now and I hope we can get a 4 or 5 as well. I am not holding my breath for a 1 though.

I agreed with call to go for 2, maybe not the play itself but the coaches and players thought they had the right call against that defense so who am I to argue. I would not have risked injury in OT either.

Merry Christmas / HTTR

A 3-10 road underdog in a game with 7 turnovers?

Go for the win and get the hell out of there.

If we were fighting for a playoff spot or playing at home, you could argue otherwise.

I will take this one step further. If the opponent was playing for something, then I think you have to play it straight to be fair to the other teams contending with them. Since both teams are out of the race, it's all fair game. I liked the call that Shanahan made and didn't even mind the play...how often do guys pop wide open on those types of goal line plays?

I think Tennessee played it right vs. Arizona yesterday since the outcome impacted the Cardinals and a few other NFC playoff contenders.

I don't know, I am kind of pissed that my 3-10 team did not beat their 3-10 team. It would have meant the world to me knowing that our lame duck HC could build some momentum headed into the off season. I think it is a bad omen for Cousins future with the Skins.

Also, did anyone notice that Morris and Moss fumbled on purpose? It is clear that they support RG3 and don't like Cousins. This team is as divided as our fanbase.

One time when the offense was walking off the field, I saw Kerrigan wink at Cousins. It wasn't a 'hey babe you're sexy' wink, it was more of a 'the plan to hold the black man down is working' kind of wink. Shannahan is in on this. He thought if Cousins could just score that final 2 pt conversion, one of the three final battles would be won.

I think I saw Moss, Morris, and Chris Chester giving high fives at the end of the game. Garcon and Orakpo tried to join in, but they shunned them because they played too well. Morris was seen liping 'One down two to go'

Clearly you could tell from the sidelines exactly how this team feels about each other. Shanny and his henchmen need to go!!!

It was the wrong call. There are circumstances where going for the win would've been justified, but not here. If we'd managed to punch it in at the end vs Minny several weeks back, going for 2 would've been a good call, as our D was completely unable to stop Minnesota's O in that game, and our O struggled in the 2nd half. Those circumstances were very similar to when Shanny decided to go for 2 vs SD with Denver back in 2008, where Denver's O struggled in the 2nd half, and their D couldn't stop SD.

But that was not the case here: aside from their opening drive, ATL had ZERO points which didn't come off turnovers by us. So to those of you who say that you didn't have confidence in our D to make a stop in OT, they actually WERE playing well in this game. Our O was clicking and was rarely stopped by anything other than unforced errors on our part. Under those circumstances it's a no-brainer: you take your chances with OT.

To those of you who say that people wouldn't be criticizing the decision had it worked out: BS. Don't presume to tell me what I would be thinking. Even before the 2pt attempt, I was screaming at the TV not to do it. I've criticized what I believed to be bad decisions even after they worked out.

Good post. But your not accurate about the points. Atlanta scored on the opening drive.

I hated the play call. Statistically speaking the 2pt conversion was the wrong move.

Trade value on Kirk speaking it was the bad move because if he drives down the field in OT and scores that really ups his stock.

Kirk getting reps value it was the wrong move.

Potentially locking the Rams into the number 1 pick was the wrong move. I'd rather have the 34th pick then the 33rd if it meant stopping a team from getting your pick which was going to be 1st overall.

Also about all this "he didn't quit" talk, he did quit damnit the 2 pt conversion is the easy way out you end the game right there if he was not giving up he would take the extra point and go into OT thats what a team who is in the hunt would do. I know we are not in the hunt but play like the games mean something don't just play like a bunch of losers giving up on the season. 

ALSO if you play to not risk injuries then you should not be playing sports. Injuries happen all the time maybe we should sit our starters next season in the first game to prevent injury.

I don't quite understand how people believe that winning this game would sky rocket his stock.  I said this in the game thread and I will say it again.  If someone wants to trade for him the are going to watch the game film, not sportscenter to make that decision, sans Vinny.  Big picture folks, how he plays overall in the Atl game and the next two will determine his value, not if his team wins or loses.

I don't understand how you would rather have a worse pick to prevent the Rams from moving up one spot in a round we won't be involved in. Maybe I'm different but I will take a better pick at the cost of swallowing our collective Redskins pride.

I agree with going for 2 based on our record and situation.

They make it we win.  Hooray us.

They didn't make it, so all the draft picks we STILL HAVE get better for next year's coach and they escaped this game without putting any other players at risk of injury so close to the offseason.

Seriously why does anyone care when the Rams pick?  It's their pick, not ours and has been since we traded for RG3.  It's like complaining that the Cowboys and Giants lost because now their picks are better, which actually hurts us more than the Rams picking earlier.

If Shanahan had simply had them kneel down to lose, that's one thing.

He let the players try to win it without risking our non-existent playoff spot.  No problem with the call at all.

I liked the call. Gutsy and he has nothing to lose. If it worked, a whole lot of people would applaud it. When it fails a whole lot of people hate it. That's the way those play calls are. And those who already hate Mike will hate it regardless and let that cloud their judgment.

I don't know, I am kind of pissed that my 3-10 team did not beat their 3-10 team. It would have meant the world to me knowing that our lame duck HC could build some momentum headed into the off season. I think it is a bad omen for Cousins future with the Skins.

Also, did anyone notice that Morris and Moss fumbled on purpose? It is clear that they support RG3 and don't like Cousins. This team is as divided as our fanbase.

One time when the offense was walking off the field, I saw Kerrigan wink at Cousins. It wasn't a 'hey babe you're sexy' wink, it was more of a 'the plan to hold the black man down is working' kind of wink. Shannahan is in on this. He thought if Cousins could just score that final 2 pt conversion, one of the three final battles would be won.

I think I saw Moss, Morris, and Chris Chester giving high fives at the end of the game. Garcon and Orakpo tried to join in, but they shunned them because they played too well. Morris was seen liping 'One down two to go'

Clearly you could tell from the sidelines exactly how this team feels about each other. Shanny and his henchmen need to go!!!

Good grief I hope this is satire. Next you'll tell us the moon landing didn't happen.

It was ABSOLUTELY the right call.

Redskins were 6 point dogs on the road. You have basically a 50/50 on a 2pt conversion.

Special teams and field position are critical in OT. You want to put the game on our ST? No thanks.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10145592/bill-barnwell-week-15-nfl

Mike Shanahan, perhaps answering the pleas of the D.C. media to get to the postgame press conference as quickly as possible, saw his team score a touchdown to go down 27-26 with 22 seconds left. He then chose to try to win the game with a two-point conversion as opposed to tying up the game for overtime. He left the ball in Cousins's hands, and while Cousins was able to elude pressure and get out of the pocket, his pass to Garcon was tipped away by Trufant to seal a win for the Falcons. The play didn't work, but was going for two the right call? Absolutely. You have to figure out whether your odds of winning in overtime are better than your odds of converting a two-point conversion, and the latter seems clearly higher. Washington was a six-point underdog playing on the road in Atlanta, which should tell you that it wouldn't be favored to win heading into the overtime coin toss. The increased importance of special teams in overtime also wouldn't bode well for Washington's chances. It would probably be fair to estimate Washington's chances of winning in overtime at about 40 percent. Its chances of converting a two-pointer have to be higher. Washington's strength as a team is on offense with its running game and its big receivers, notably Garcon and (on this day) Fred Davis. Washington has been one of the best power-running teams in football this year. All that matters in a two-point conversion. There's no reason to think Cousins couldn't handle the pressure of a two-point conversion; remember, last year, he ran in a quarterback draw to tie the game against Baltimore just before overtime. We never know each team's "true" ability to convert two-pointers because the samples are so small, but given its nature across the rest of the field, Washington is likely an above-average team on two-point conversions. Its chances of converting were probably at or above 50 percent. Exact probabilities are unrealistic here given the small sample and the specific nature of these teams, but going for it makes sense to me.

Archived