Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What IDIOT called for a 2-pt converion?

william1970

Clskinsfan writes in post #146: "Good post. But your not accurate about the points. Atlanta scored on the opening drive."

Hence why I said "aside from the opening drive."

PS: for some reason the quote feature isn't working for me right now, hence why I quoted your post like this.

Click the keyhole thingy at the top left, go to the post you'd like to quote, hit quote again, and carry on...that's what I've figured out.

One reason to not go for it, get more reps for Cousins, give him a chance to be showcased learn even more. Dial up more pressure on the kid, and see how he does.

Instead we got the typical lame duck slow developing play call by Kyle where the QB is asked to stand in the pocket, and the pocket collapsed somehow before the WRs can run a measly 2 yds, and the rest is history. Cousins adds a L to his ledger instead of a game tying drive, and potentially a game winning drive. I don't give a rats ass how many turnovers we had.

If you are worried about injuries you should be all over Mike for limping Trent out there long before OT injury concerns.

Probably the best call Mike Shanahan has made all season.

1. The game doesn't matter. No, it really doesn't. All the players have played the whole game and gotten a chance to showcase for next season.

2. Cousins gets a chance to play with pressure. He'll get more starts to "learn."

3. Get out of the game without serious injury. Big point there. How stupid would it be for Trent Williams, Kerrigan, Orakpo, or any of the other players we want to play next season, to tear an ACL or rupture an Achilles in the overtime of a completely pointless game.

4. Win/win situation for Mike. Make the play, win the game, get called gutsy and still have the players playing to win. Fail to convert and you improve your draft position and prevent a serious injury.

Absolutely the best call. The third reason alone is worth making the call. The game was pointless. No playoff implications.

There are three goals for the rest of the season:

1. Cousins showcases himself and gets traded.

2. Get good draft position. Really don't care what we give up to the Rams.

3. Get out of the season without a serious injury to a player.

It would have been a HUGE POSITIVE to actually TIE UP a team on the road after giving away 7 turnovers.  And the odds of pulling out a win in overtime I think were at least 75% based on how our O and D were playing at that point. 

But the odds of having an 8th turnover were probably 85%. 

It's all hindsight and opinion.

Well, during your rant you actually made my point. We have rarely gotten on on-sides kick yet we have made a few 2 pt conversion. Thanks!

BTW: I simply stated the percentages (you know real data not just an angry rant) definitely show your statement was highly inaccurate. You have a  2:1 chance of making a 2 pt conversion over recovering an on-sides kick or 48% vs. 25%.

Lastly, did you completely miss that all the players, you know the ones who get paid, fully supported the call. But yea, some angry fans know a lot better than they do.  LOL

What you didn't state was the percentage of our OT wins versus any of our successful 2 pt. conversions. I'm NOT comparing 2 pointers to onsides. You took it TOOOOO literally. It was an "I'm friggin' pissed" kind of joke.

Angry fans vs. players? Who lost? Right, we BOTH did. 

What you didn't state was the percentage of our OT wins versus any of our successful 2 pt. conversions. I'm NOT comparing 2 pointers to onsides. You took it TOOOOO literally. It was an "I'm friggin' pissed" kind of joke.

Angry fans vs. players? Who lost? Right, we BOTH did. 

Nice excuse for being wrong.. Why not just admit you were wrong? You said exactly "Our percentages on making that play is about the same as our onside kicks." It was not followed with "not really but you know what I mean" or "I don't really know the exact numbers but it seems close."

Also, the results based logic is just silly. Sorry I don;t mean to be rude, but really? We are 22-13-1 (through 2011 as that was the most complete data I could find) all time in OT, or 62% successful. So while  we are a little better (about 14%) than the 2 pts conversion % of 48%, we also lost 13 times when going into overtime. Football is playing the odds and the difference between 48% and 62% is not that big. neither option is anywhere near100%.

Nice excuse for being wrong.. Why not just admit you were wrong? You said exactly "Our percentages on making that play is about the same as our onside kicks." It was not followed with "not really but you know what I mean" or "I don't really know the exact numbers but it seems close."

Also, the results based logic is just silly. Sorry I don;t mean to be rude, but really? We are 22-13-1 (through 2011 as that was the most complete data I could find) all time in OT, or 62% successful. So while  we are a little better (about 14%) than the 2 pts conversion % of 48%, we also lost 13 times when going into overtime. Football is playing the odds and the difference between 48% and 62% is not that big. neither option is anywhere near100%.

Oh well, EXCUSE me for not putting sarcasm brackets after my original statement (jeeez). So, I will say that I'm very sorry Mr. Statman for not letting you understand why I thought we would not make it (which had nothing to do with stats). What threw you off... the word 'percentage'? I will say that we tried this year on a 2 pter to try to make it a 1 possession game.... fail. And we went into OT to try and win a game...success. True, it was the other team who caught up to tie, but none the less we won. Actually, 22-13-1 is not bad... and you think 13 losses in OT was a good reason for the 2 pter? LOL, I give up.

Archived