Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you agree with shutting down RG3?

Bonez3

Shut down RG3  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with shutting him down?

I would like to see Shanny coaching this team again next year with the healthy no doubt about it RG3, and no more stupid salary cap penalty. RG3 will have the whole season to progress and study as he should have last year if he weren't hurt. I really do believe this team will have more wins at this point next year if this happens.

What if we play RG3 and he gets hurt in one of these 3 meaningless games. That is another year of off season conditioning, OTAs, etc that he will miss. We need a healthy Qb to be on the field and in the film room this off season, especially if the Shannys are gone.

Right now Kirk is worth spit. If he shows some promise in the next 3 games, we could get a #5 or even a #4 for him before the draft. Heck we may get a higher one from the Texans if Shanny is there(I know, I'm dreaming).

Dude its football. He could blow out his ACL on the practice field. Or even worse, get hurt in the first game next season. after this all important offseson. If you play football you get hurt. Its just how it is.

It's not just the sacks he's taking, it's the hits after he hands off or passes the ball that worry me. The refs have allowed him to get pummeled this year even when he doesn't have the ball.

Why risk another serious injury to the supposed franchise?

Because he's been playing like **** and needs the reps. He's risking serious injury every time he steps onto the field. So are Garçon, Morris, Hall, Orakpo and every other player on this team. You don't think we should deactivate them as well do you?

Perhaps Shanny could just throw his "franchise" QB under the bus and admit he is being benched because of his painfully, inept play? Then we could dispense with the dirty rat conspiracy theories. It wouldn't be hard to demonstrate on a teleprompter the glaring deficiencies. Seems that would be a much better way to "destroy" a kid if that were his intentions.

edit...anyone know why the quote function never works?  Without it, I'm replying to ghosts. Lacks a bit of context.

I said yes.

I have been a long time RS fan and long time ES member. I have not posted regularly in a long time, but life happens.

IMHO, there is something wrong here. I support Shanny whole heartedly. I wish he would also shutdown Haslett... but that's a different problem. I think RGIII lost the locker room. Most likely due to Danny. This process has been happening for years within this organization with Danny and other star players.

I hope this benching is a wake up call to Robert, but more so Danny. Shanny is a good coach, and I see greatness in him. More important we need continuity. If Shanny is fired at the end of the season, then we might as well trade off RG3 and Morris at the same time.

I don't know about the general consensus, but I am tired of blowing it up every 3-4 years. Lets build something. How can anyone be upset with an over achieving team from last year, cap hell, and no draft picks... what can you honestly hope for?

Continuity is key and Shanny needs to demonstrate control. I am behind him.

Except that they aren't

These are real regular season games. And even though I really dont give a ****, its not fair to the rest of the NFL for us to treat regular season games as preseason games.

Shanahan should just have the balls to outright bench Griffin for performance. Or at least have the decency to lie (or admit) to us that he's just not healthy enough to play. Or something. Then I would fully support saving RG3 these three weeks of beatings. But how can you say, "He's our franchise QB. He's 100% healthy. We're deactivating him for 3 games."

I think Snyder and Mike both know the Shanahans are gone next year. Mike gets his 7mil and Snyder gets a guaranteed healthy RG3 to woo his next coach with. Thats all it is.

I agree with the last part - which makes it even more pointless to play Rg3 that was my point.   They have 3 wins with the current QB play and just as importantly (to me) "coaching/gameplanning"  we are hardly being unfair to the rest of the league by benching Robert. 

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."  While I dont like all the drama surrounding this story, and all the many speculative reasons behind the benching, at this juncture I'm ok with it.  I am curious to see what Cousins can do with a full week of prep as the starter and more "gametime" reps.  If he plays bad due to a combination of lack of skill, athletic ability on himself, or due to the poor play of the receivers and o-line, then at the worst his trade value takes a hit if its on him, or it further highlights the lack of pieces we have on offense (which most of us believe anyways).  Now if he plays well, it bumps up his trade value and shows that the offense needs only to be tweaked with a few pieces here and there, and really focuses that RG3 needs to improve his play.  I  would actually be happy with this, RG3 is a great athlete, and I believe has it in him to be our starter, and a great qb, but a little competition isnt gonna hurt him, and if it does, then he's not who i think he is.

The given reasons for the benching is wrong.

Robert's play has earned him a spot on the bench.  His ego also has earned him a spot in the bench.   I think this will humble him.  Just think, we will be having a new coach next year.  While the next coach will be hired with the proposition that Robert is his guy; I figure the next guy will take the job with the caveat that if it's determined that Robert isn't the guy, the coach will be free to move on from Robert.

Robert is going to have to prove to the next coach he deserves to be our franchise QB.   It wouldn't shock me to see a QB competition between Robert and whoever the backup QB is.  2014 will be the most critical year for Robert's pro career.  He's going to have to prove that he's the guy to lead the Redskins.   My guy says after being benched this year and all the **** that has come out and is about to come out; Robert will be motivated to prove everyone wrong.

Dude its football. He could blow out his ACL on the practice field. Or even worse, get hurt in the first game next season. after this all important offseson. If you play football you get hurt. Its just how it is.

True, but he could be hit by a bus on the way to the game. These games are meaningless. RG3 is our qb and it will make since to display Kirk in order to get a fair trade value.

Shanny is expecting people to buy this logic? If he actually cared about protecting Griffin, he would have sat him the first 4 games (had early bye week) and let him heal completely. He didn't play in pre-season and didn't have offseason, yet Shanny had no issues throwing him in there. He mentioned that he should have taken out Griffin in the Seattle game to protect him, but he felt perfectly fine letting him start the season. Yet, he wants everyone to believe he doesn't want to get him hurt? This dude is smoking some good stuff, probably Kyle's pubes.

Yes and No. I want him to be healthy, so what's the point in playing him in meaningless games. Also, he doesn't need to be any more shell shocked than he already appears to be. However, I think with a lot of his issues this year, they are only going to get better with reps. And not just practice reps. He needs to be in the game with the bullets flying and defenders playing hard. Practice can't simulate a game, neither can pre-season games when players are more worried about not getting hurt. So my feelings are mixed.

How dejected and flat did the kid sound in his presser earlier?

Utterly disgraceful he's using kids as pawns like this in his end game with Snyder. Like you alluded to earlier, that alone should be grounds for dismissal. 

Hail. 

He isn't and was very clear during todays presser,  Dan and Bruce both agreed with Shanny on benching Griff because it makes sense, unfortunately the DC Media is full of drama queens like Brian Mitchell and Lavar Arrington who love to blow EVERY speck of news out of proportion because it draws higher ratings.

I'm with Passizle, if all egos were checked at the door, this could be good for all parties involved, with the exception of Haslett and Burns.

In ways, you could look at Haslett and Burns ineptness as part of the reasoning, by the inability to stop opponents from scoring, does alter the game plan, but there is still that part about execution which contributes. But only a small part.

With apologies to the female fanbase, this team is in need of a PMS cycle; a cleansing of egos and issues by all parties, because Griffin has the ability to be a great player, and Mike is a good coach, and by improving the o-line, working on Griffin's mechanics, Kyle working on plays which will be more adaptive/productive to the offense, this cluster**** of a season can be turned around as quickly as it came.

IMO, a new coach could be a negative, depending on who it is; no one wants to have a "yes man" coach who will cave in at a player's frown, or a coach who might let friendship between himself and a player alter things to make them happy.

Just put them all in a room, give them room service if needed, and let them hash this out like men, because I do believe that Mike and Griffin can be successful together, without the disruption of egos or the media and their magnifying glasses. They don't have to be on each other's Christmas card list, but a little honesty can go a long way for this team, because it is not about Griffin, nor Mike, its about whats best for the team.

I'm with Passizle, if all egos were checked at the door, this could be good for all parties involved, with the exception of Haslett and Burns.

In ways, you could look at Haslett and Burns ineptness as part of the reasoning, by the inability to stop opponents from scoring, does alter the game plan, but there is still that part about execution which contributes. But only a small part.

With apologies to the female fanbase, this team is in need of a PMS cycle; a cleansing of egos and issues by all parties, because Griffin has the ability to be a great player, and Mike is a good coach, and by improving the o-line, working on Griffin's mechanics, Kyle working on plays which will be more adaptive/productive to the offense, this cluster**** of a season can be turned around as quickly as it came.

IMO, a new coach could be a negative, depending on who it is; no one wants to have a "yes man" coach who will cave in at a player's frown, or a coach who might let friendship between himself and a player alter things to make them happy.

Just put them all in a room, give them room service if needed, and let them hash this out like men, because I do believe that Mike and Griffin can be successful together, without the disruption of egos or the media and their magnifying glasses. They don't have to be on each other's Christmas card list, but a little honesty can go a long way for this team, because it is not about Griffin, nor Mike, its about whats best for the team.

Exactly, unfortunately The Redskins have this massive website where posters feed off the media b,s.   Personally I am hoping Danny and Mike work this out, unfortunately the DC media and a large group of fans would never let Shanny live whatever he has done wrong down.    The sad part is, there are only a handful of people on this board IF that who actually knows what goes on behind the scenes, yet we all talk as if we are experts. 

To those who still are hoping Mike comes back; you are dreaming.

Once the seperaton occurs; we will find out just how much or how little Snyder interferred. If it comes backs that Dan Snyder order the team to trade for Mcnabb and trade picks to get RG3; then it will look bad on Snyder.

Mike was going into 2012 on the hot seat based on his poor record the first 2 years.  The Skins did start out 3-6.  He probably would've gotten pass since we were going with a rookie QB that year; had we failed.

Mike has had 4 years to build a team and he failed.  Failed miserably.    The relationship is finished with the owner-coach, coach-qb, etc..   Hiring one's relative on the coaching staff in a position of authority is a big mistake.  If Kyle was just some lowly assistant who didn't have a big role; that is fine.  Kyle is the OC and he and the QB don't see eye to eye.     Revelations have shown the relationship between Snyder and Shanny is done.   This dance/chess match smacks of insubordination. 

There's nothing to repair.  IT's over.  Shanny is washed up as a coach and even worse as a GM.  All he's given us is a handful of players to build around and some of them might not work out in another scheme.  This sideshow will be over in 3 weeks and we will move on.  Danny will either eat his 7 million or go to court to try to prevent from paying Shanny the 7 million.  The team will move on.

I hope it leads Danny to seperate the head coach from GM; we will just have to wait and find out.

I like the idea of benching griffin now that our season is done and over with. Though I'll be a lil upset if the offensive line decides to block for cousins. However I think shannahan is doing it out of spite in hopes he will get fired and dan will have to pay him his last year regardless. He's playing hard ball.

Well dan the ball is in your corner. Your coach is trying to play you. What do you do? Force him to quit. That's right. If he quits, you owe him nothing. Fire his son. No one can say that Kyle has done anything to keep his job. Fire Kyle now and hire anyone, anyone at all for the rest of the season. I don't think mike will stay if his son is outright fired.

Archived