Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you agree with shutting down RG3?

Bonez3

Shut down RG3  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with shutting him down?

Actually more teams in our position should do this IMO.  If you have what you believe is a franchise QB and you're hopelessly out of it - you should bench them.  I know I know "you don't bench healthy players in case" well I'm calling bs.  These games are essentially preseason- actually even less valuable then that because RG3 doesn't need reps in this system.  This system will no longer be in place next season.

A potential franchise QB is too important to risk in these meaningless situations.  That said, we all know there is nothing altruistic about Shanahan here, and I can't wait for him and the entire staff to be getting their own "permanent" benchings.

No matter what is on your (or Mike's) list of what you want RG3 to do better, it's a better use of his time to practice that during these last 3 games that being inactive. That means hes not dressed and DOESN'T EVEN WARM UP before the game.

Not throwing the quick slant well on a 3-step drop? Riddle that throughout the gameplan. Go 2-man route and max protect if you have to.

Not running the double sticks setup like Cooley alluded to? Run that a bunch. Again, go max protect if you have to.

If they're willing to throw these games away basically, they should be willing to throw them away while practicing what needs worked on.

If he's not progressing enough as a pocket passer, then install an option-free gameplan for 3 games. THREE GAMES AGAINST POOR DEFENSES. 150+ SNAPS OF GOOD EXPERIENCE WASTED.

And although he's a lunatic, John Madden agrees with me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/11/john-madden-rgiii-shutdown-is-baloney/

Outstanding Post! Thanks!

I dont care of its 3 and out every series. WInning means dick at this point. It is about the reps. Work on the back shoulder throw, quick slant and touch dowon the field. Get picked off every possession. No one cares at this point. He needs to play.

“I mean, you know it’s baloney,” he said, his strongest words on the topic. “I like Mike Shanahan, and I’m not talking behind his back, but when you say something like that, you know that’s not right — you’re not going to sacrifice regular season games. There’s only 16 of them a year. You’re not going to sacrifice regular season games for an offseason program. I know that part of it was he wasn’t healthy last offseason and that really hurt him, so it would be good if he were healthy this offseason. I believe that. There’s some truth to that.                                          

“You know that [shanahan] didn’t think that he[Cousins] was the best quarterback,” Madden said. “If he did, he would have played him early in the season when he really needed a healthy quarterback. He thought it was RGIII.”

John Madden

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/11/john-madden-rgiii-shutdown-is-baloney/

I didn't see that Riggosmohawk beat me to it

They aren't benching Robert for Rex.

I cant watch what Ive been watching anymore, but now Im looking forward to Sunday, just to see how this kid does. Lets get a better handle on what we have in Kirk....let the league get a better idea of what we have.

To be fair though....Im one of those that is still not convinced weve found our fanchise QB yet. I think and hope Robert has it, but I just watch football on TV, so what do I know  ;)

“But his playing is going to to help him,” Madden continued. “He needs experience, he needs snaps, he needs reps, he needs to get his confidence back. And if it’s a problem of taking too many sacks and too many hits then BLOCK BETTER for him. Get some better blockers, get a better scheme, go an extra lineman sometimes, go an extra tight end, chip a good pass rusher, do SOMETHING to help him other than to shut him down. Where did shut him down ever come up in football? I never heard shut him down. I mean, that was a baseball thing — a pitch count, he’s thrown so many, now we’re going to shut him down. I’ve never heard of a football player ever being shut down. Now if he’s hurt, that’s a different story. If he’s hurt and can’t play, then we’re talking about a different ballgame here.”

At least I'm not the only one wondering when suddenly taking a player out for the rest of the season became a thing. It doesn't make any sense to say Player X needs game experience so he can become a better player, but then say well really Player Y needs more offseason time because thats where they really get better. I don't get it.

Last week Shanahasbeen publicly stated that III needs all of the reps he can get. This week he is "shutting him down" due to injury concerns yet he played him in that **** last week??????? Yeah okay Mike. Bull****.

I'm not going to be brainwashed by Shanny and NO I don't agree with "shutting him down." He indeed needs all of the reps he can get. The last four weeks are essentially preseason games so why not let him try and grow?

Can't believe some of you are gullible enough to believe anything that comes out of the mouth of this egotistical jackass.

First there was smoke. Then there was fire. Now it's a raging inferno.

The report just came out that Robert confirmed he will not play the rest of the season.  I'm impressed.  He's not making a fuss about it.  This shows me he is already becoming more humble.  He'll be a pro bowler next year.  Guys with his personality don't accept failure and he's going to work harder than he ever has at getting his game up to snuff.  Can't wait until September 2014.

He just got benched and you're predicting the Probowl next season?

I could vote yes to save RG3 from the offensive line. However, Mike Shanahan openly defended his genius offensive line...then I don't know what the hell Shanahan is benching RG3 for. Protecting RG3 from RG3? I'm more confused as ever. So many contradictions from the press conference.

Shanny should keep RG3 as the starter. You think RG3 standing on the sidelines is going to help develop him into a better QB? Some great coach we have....

This is, quite frankly, the stupidest thing I've ever seen. This is grounds for firing Shanahan immediately. The dude has to go. And I hope he gets blackballed from ever being a HC or working in a front office role for this. He's a piece of ****.

Its definitely a likely possibility if they can get some better oline help. Its not like he was benched because of performance reasons.

What was he benched for then? He's not hurt.

This is, quite frankly, the stupidest thing I've ever seen. This is grounds for firing Shanahan immediately. The dude has to go. And I hope he gets blackballed from ever being a HC or working in a front office role for this. He's a piece of ****.

Out of likes, but as per with a guy who no longer posts nearly as much as I wish he would these days, I LIKE!

Hail. 

Out of likes, but as per with a guy who no longer posts nearly as much as I wish he would these days, I LIKE!

Hail.

I hate that Shanny is smearing RGIII like this. He's left a trail of bodies here. It's shocking how many careers he ruined in four years. I'm praying RGIII bounces back. I don't know if I can keep watching this team if he doesn't.

You know I'm glad they're benching him.

They obviously have issues with Griffin.

Benching Griffin protects them from a HC/OC with dubious intentions.

And yes I wouldn't put it past them.

After all he gets into a rhythm in the first half of the Giants game then runs triple option in the second half?

We kept trotting out the read-option playaction even though defenses were all over it.

The potential for damage to a QBs production and safety in the hands a disgruntled OC is great.

I hate that Shanny is smearing RGIII like this. He's left a trail of bodies here. It's shocking how many careers he ruined in four years. I'm praying RGIII bounces back. I don't know if I can keep watching this team if he doesn't.

How dejected and flat did the kid sound in his presser earlier?

Utterly disgraceful he's using kids as pawns like this in his end game with Snyder. Like you alluded to earlier, that alone should be grounds for dismissal. 

Hail. 

Actually more teams in our position should do this IMO.  If you have what you believe is a franchise QB and you're hopelessly out of it - you should bench them.  I know I know "you don't bench healthy players in case" well I'm calling bs.  These games are essentially preseason

Except that they aren't

These are real regular season games. And even though I really dont give a ****, its not fair to the rest of the NFL for us to treat regular season games as preseason games.

Shanahan should just have the balls to outright bench Griffin for performance. Or at least have the decency to lie (or admit) to us that he's just not healthy enough to play. Or something. Then I would fully support saving RG3 these three weeks of beatings. But how can you say, "He's our franchise QB. He's 100% healthy. We're deactivating him for 3 games."

I think Snyder and Mike both know the Shanahans are gone next year. Mike gets his 7mil and Snyder gets a guaranteed healthy RG3 to woo his next coach with. Thats all it is.

What if we play RG3 and he gets hurt in one of these 3 meaningless games. That is another year of off season conditioning, OTAs, etc that he will miss. We need a healthy Qb to be on the field and in the film room this off season, especially if the Shannys are gone.

Right now Kirk is worth spit. If he shows some promise in the next 3 games, we could get a #5 or even a #4 for him before the draft. Heck we may get a higher one from the Texans if Shanny is there(I know, I'm dreaming).

Archived