Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you agree with shutting down RG3?

Bonez3

Shut down RG3  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with shutting him down?

I am stunned so many agree with shutting him down, when it is clear to me that the only reason Mike is doing it, it to guarantee he gets fired and gets paid without working next year.

Which Urban Dictionary so affectionately defines as "Haynesworthing"

The power of the media. 

Again, I am stunned.  You would really rather see Rex F'in Grossman as the backup?  No chance to see RG3 out on the field with Cousins running a little trickery. No RG3 should the pocket collapse and Cousins needing a minute to catch his wind?

I can understand fans wanting to see a backup. It is what we do here in DC, root for the dog. But to shut him down completely? He has shown me far too much potential to warranty basically not wanting him even on the playing field.

A little adversity, him slowed this year, defenses adjusting to Kyle's college playbook; so because Kyle cannot see himself able to call repeated series of plays that Robert does well, you actually support this stunt?

tumblr_mqjqmnixk21sppmago1_400.gif

What an insult, to not even have him active, and go as far as to pre-announce an inactive weeks in advance.

What coach tips his hat to opponents and does such a thing?

Mike is in damage control "I care about RG3s health" so much he will remove any chance he can be on the field weeks in advance. While at the same time, is keeping his foot on Dan's neck. He is good. 

Dare I think he is better at media relations than he is as a football coach.

With one playoff win in 15 years, surely my speculation has legs. 15 years. Let that sink in.

Teams rest starters going into the playoffs. I don't see anything different with this. Considering RG3's overall health and future, this is absolutely the right move.

The difference is this isn't the preparing for the road to the Super Bowl.  Kind of a significant difference there.

This whole move might be motivated by Mike wanting to give Kyle a fighting chance of landing another NFL job. Cousins fits Kyle's scheme more so than RG3. We know Kyle is a 1 trick pony, and refused to adapt a scheme that utilized RG3's strengths. Maybe refused is the wrong word. Maybe not having the mental ability to adapt a scheme that would capitalize on RG3's background. A form ofSpread option is the future of NFL offenses IMHO.

hail

John Madden: RGIII shutdown is ‘baloney’

The Strasburg and RGIII shutdowns are different, in the sense that one was impromptu and the other was planned; one was healthy and the other was presumably not; one’s team was losing and the other’s was going to the playoffs; one played football and the other baseball; one came amid team disarray and the other came amid stability.

But they were similar in this regard: Every single person in the world had an opinion about them.

Thus, here’s John Madden, talking about the RGIII Shutdown during his weekly spot with SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“I mean, you know it’s baloney,” he said, his strongest words on the topic. “I like Mike Shanahan, and I’m not talking behind his back, but when you say something like that, you know that’s not right — you’re not going to sacrifice regular season games. There’s only 16 of them a year. You’re not going to sacrifice regular season games for an offseason program. I know that part of it was he wasn’t healthy last offseason and that really hurt him, so it would be good if he were healthy this offseason. I believe that. There’s some truth to that.

continued at link:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/12/11/john-madden-rgiii-shutdown-is-baloney/

Spoken like a longtime ex-coach who doesn’t remember what it’s like to play with a one-legged quarterback for most of a season. If Mike is here next year, he wants to make sure that Robert is 100 percent healthy in 2014. If Mike is not here, how attractive does coach Madden think that the head coaching position (or any coaching position for that matter) is going to be when the franchise quarterback has spent yet another offseason rehabbing a bad leg, or broken ribs, or a broken collarbone and is not ready to play? All of that risk for reps in three meaningless games behind a sieve of an offensive line. No thanks. The Redskins are trying to make sure that all of what happened last year doesn’t happen again next year. This decision was a very easy one.

Don't over think it.

Mike is the one that needs to be shutdown, not RG3.

He has gone rogue. Now if you support removing RG3 from any football actions completely, to keep him far far away from Mike and his son, who is clearly over thinking play calling, I can see that.

If you think RG3 needs a piece of humble pie, that is your opinion.

But make no mistake, Mike needs to go, and is using RG3 to do it to get paid without looking evil. As Tyron Biggums states above, it is likely all about Kyle. As it has been, all along.

We pay a lot of fans to see guys like RG3. It is an entertainment business. No, it is not a sports business. Ted Leonsis would never rubber stamp sitting a healthy Ovechkin because we missed the playoffs. Boo ****ing hoo. Wizards, the same. We are not talking baseball and 160 ****ing games.

There are only 16 games a year and you rubber stamp pulling the plug on ~20% of them. Color me surprised.

Spoken like a longtime ex-coach who doesn’t remember what it’s like to play with a one-legged quarterback for most of a season. If Mike is here next year, he wants to make sure that Robert is 100 percent healthy in 2014. If Mike is not here, how attractive does coach Madden think that the head coaching position (or any coaching position for that matter) is going to be when the franchise quarterback has spent yet another offseason rehabbing a bad leg, or broken ribs, or a broken collarbone and is not ready to play? All of that risk for reps in three meaningless games behind a sieve of an offensive line. No thanks. The Redskins are trying to make sure that all of what happened last year doesn’t happen again next year. This decision was a very easy one.

I see your point quite well. Too bad Mike didn't take the blame for building such a porous OL.

7 million ways to ruin a franchise choose one:uspw_6268658.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJZ4F

I agree with benching simply because RG3 has pretty much stunk all hear long. The wr's are quietly rejoicing. And the " Shanny's trying to get fired" stuff is BS. I do believe this is more performance based than anything. Shanny won't tell you that though. If RG3 was playing better, he'd be suiting up Sun.

Don't over think it.

Mike is the one that needs to be shutdown, not RG3.

He has gone rogue. Now if you support removing RG3 from any football actions completely, to keep him far far away from Mike and his son, who is clearly over thinking play calling, I can see that.

If you think RG3 needs a piece of humble pie, that is your opinion.

But make no mistake, Mike needs to go, and is using RG3 to do it to get paid without looking evil. As Tyron Biggums states above, it is likely all about Kyle. As it has been, all along.

We pay a lot of fans to see guys like RG3. It is an entertainment business. No, it is not a sports business. Ted Leonsis would never rubber stamp sitting a healthy Ovechkin because we missed the playoffs. Boo ****ing hoo. Wizards, the same. We are not talking baseball and 160 ****ing games.There are only 16 games a year and you rubber stamp pulling the plug on ~20% of them. Color me surprised.

So you get entertainment watching him sail the ball over WR's heads? Ok.....lol.

I agree with benching simply because RG3 has pretty much stunk all hear long. The wr's are quietly rejoicing. And the " Shanny's trying to get fired" stuff is BS. I do believe this is more performance based than anything. Shanny won't tell you that though. If RG3 was playing better, he'd be suiting up Sun.

I don't imagine he would as that would be admitting he and his son have failed the QB massively all year long. 

Hail. 

Thank you, I am at a loss as to why some people still believe the rhetoric that Mike is spewing. It' seems like the same people that fall  inline with Mike's lies are the same posters that dislike RG3. I have bad news for those people. RG3 will be here long after Mike drags us through more mud, and gets **** canned.

Hail

But then the best ones are invariably the truest ones. 

Hail. 

So you get entertainment watching him sail the ball over WR's heads? Ok.....lol.

I disagree with that simply because if you really thought that it was RGIII then you make this move earlier while the season is salvageable.  What's the point of making the switch at 3-10?  It's not for the benefit of the team. The year's lost.  So, this isn't a performance move.  You can't say it's a health move either because if it were why put the kid out in the ice.  Surely, there's a greater chance of him slipping and having a bad fall on ice than in a 75 degree climate controlled stadium.

If this was a coaching move done solely for the betterment of the team then it needed to be done five games ago.  Not now.

I think pulling RGIII is the right move, but mainly to preserve the kid and give him a chance to get his head right because now all he can learn is failure and bad habits.  Still, it's not a team move.

I disagree with that simply because if you really thought that it was RGIII then you make this move earlier while the season is salvageable.  What's the point of making the switch at 3-10?  It's not for the benefit of the team. The year's lost.  So, this isn't a performance move.  You can't say it's a health move either because if it were why put the kid out in the ice.  Surely, there's a greater chance of him slipping and having a bad fall on ice than in a 75 degree climate controlled stadium.

If this was a coaching move done solely for the betterment of the team then it needed to be done five games ago.  Not now.

QFT, and I am out of likes again.

Hail

ASHBURN, Va. – Jake Plummer walked away from football partly because of Mike Shanahan.

In the months after the then Broncos coach benched Plummer for Jay Cutler late in 2006, Shanahan's approach factored into Plummer's retirement at 32.

So the former Broncos and Arizona Cardinals quarterback empathized Wednesday with Washington Redskins star quarterback Robert Griffin III getting shut down for this season's remaining three games in order to preserve his health.

link:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/12/11/washington-redskins-robert-griffin-iii-rg3-mike-shanahan-jake-plummer/3993605/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28USATODAY+-+NFL+Top+Stories%29

Thank you, I am at a loss as to why some people still believe the rhetoric that Mike is spewing. It' seems like the same people that fall  inline with Mike's lies are the same posters that dislike RG3. I have bad news for those people. RG3 will be here long after Mike drags us through more mud, and gets **** canned.

Hail

I've unbelievably read more than once this morning the suggestion that if RGIII needs to go and Shanahan stay for the benefit of the franchise then so be it. 

Seriously, I am at as big a dumbfounded loss with some of our fanbase than I am with the rat protagonist of it all. 

Hail. 

Former Shanahan quarterbacks pile on

Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2013, 8:09 AM EST
plummer.jpg?w=241AP

With Redskins coach Mike Shanahan telling quarterback Robert Griffin III to take a seat for the rest of the season, a pair of former Shanahan quarterbacks have stood up and called out their one-time boss.

“It’s not a fun situation and I feel for RG3 — a great kid, a really, really great football player – he’ll bounce back, get healthy and persevere through this,” Jake Plummer told Jim Corbett ofUSA Today.  “I see great things in his future.  But I think it’s going to be with a new coach. . . .

“I don’t think there will be a Shanahan future there. I think there will be a different head coach for this franchise quarterback who had a great year last year, and the knee injury played into this because I have not seen another quarterback this exciting, maybe other than Randall Cunningham.”

Plummer acknowledges he didn’t have that same talent level, and he apparently believes that guys who can’t play at the level Shanahan demands are destined for trouble.

“I just know from my experience sometimes Shanahan would ask too much of me,” Plummer said.  “I was pretty good.  But I was no Peyton Manning. I had to fight every day.

“A similar situation happened with me, and it happened with Donovan McNabb because we had our own styles, and it didn’t mesh with what Mike wanted.  What I see happening there isn’t the same, but it is similar.”

How many more Pro Bowl QBs do we need it to spell it out for these people?

Link:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/12/former-shanahan-quarterbacks-pile-on/

Randy man, that show on the podium yesterday that did Pacino proud has sadly gotten people to buy into his B/S rhetoric and ignore what's in front of their eyes with flashing neon signs on. 

Hail. 

I am clearly pissed.

At the reporters that are Mike's pawns, laughing at every chance because of the awkwardness in the room of the entire gold digging operation, masquerading as looking out for RG3's best interests. Letting Mike off the hook and refusing to ask the obvious questions, such as "do you realize we all think this is a stunt to get paid next year without having to work?"

At Kyle, for over thinking play calling all year long, not being able to adapt - which was as simple as stop fixing that which is not broken. causing this entire mess himself with his pathetic game plans.

At Allen, for doing absolutely nothing at all. Where the hell is he anyways. He's not even a PR guy. He stands and smiles.

I am not mad at Dan, as he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Caught off guard before kickoff with the latest stunt, he clearly has no go to guy to turn to, to help get out of this mess to close out the year. Allen is no help at all and does nothing. Dan cannot fire Mike and promote Kyle. He can promote a DC but then our QB may well get killed since we have no offensive minds to call plays.

And in the end, Mike, who is stealing the show at the podium.  The media master has deflected all the conversation from his leaks to RG3 by deactivating him. The leak talk is gone, Mike has won.

I am pissed. You play to win the games. No, not to vault your son's career, Kyle has been a hot mess with his schizo play calls refusing to reuse his best plays.

I dont like spending the last 3 games getting Kyle into a comfort zone, building up confidence, versus for RG3 who may well benefit us into the future. And I dont think that Rex as our backup gives us the best chance to win. Sorry, I see your signature there.

You were not completely entertained just last season?

Oh, I see you are a noob with only 10 posts so maybe you weren't a Skins fans last year.

You are fooling yourself if you think RG3 forgot how to throw a pass. Even with all the struggles he is still hitting at 60%.

Since when do you bench a franchise QB in their second year for bad games, which for the record he's not really even playing that bad if you measure him against other 2nd year QBs.

Mike couldn't say he's benching Griffin for poor play because that too is a BS move.

Did the Panthers 'shutdown' Cam at the end of the season? And you could argue that the light bulb went off for Cam during those games.

I cannot believe people are falling for Shanahan's shell game.

Here is his playbook:

League, Historically worst special teams? Give up 300 return yards and 2 TDs in one game? No worries throw your starting QB under the bus bench him (reason immaterial make anything up) no one will even care about special teams, heck you could give up 400 returns yard when you pull this manuever! (and don't worry that the back-up QB's last outing he played worse against a vanilla prevent defense then your starter in the regular game, they won't even bat an eyelash and you'll have plenty of time to put in your best gameplan)

Near league worst defense? Throw your owner under the bus, I know I know the whole 'total control' piece will come up, but IT DOESN'T matter. Most media are lazy they will follow the old narrative about the owner regardless of the fact that you total control.

And for a little extra doubt randomly mention that you ran benching the QB past the owner (it will make people think the owner is meddling) Boom! I promise no will mention your defense.

-Mike S.

Since when do you bench a franchise QB in their second year for bad games, which for the record he's not really even playing that bad if you measure him against other 2nd year QBs.

Mike couldn't say he's benching Griffin for poor play because that too is a BS move.

Did the Panthers 'shutdown' Cam at the end of the season? And you could argue that the light bulb went off for Cam during those games.

I cannot believe people are falling for Shanahan's shell game.

Here is his playbook:

League, Historically worst special teams? Give up 300 return yards and 2 TDs in one game? No worries throw your starting QB under the bus bench him (reason immaterial make anything up) no one will even care about special teams, heck you could give up 400 returns yard when you pull this manuever! (and don't worry that the back-up QB's last outing he played worse against a vanilla prevent defense then your starter in the regular game, they won't even bat an eyelash and you'll have plenty of time to put in your best gameplan)

Near league worst defense? Throw your owner under the bus, I know I know the whole 'total control' piece will come up, but IT DOESN'T matter. Most media are lazy they will follow the old narrative about the owner regardless of the fact that you total control.

And for a little extra doubt randomly mention that you ran benching the QB past the owner (it will make people think the owner is meddling) Boom! I promise no will mention your defense.

-Mike S.

Sadly it worked like a charm. It makes me sick to my stomach that the media hasn't even attempted to call him out on his BS.

Hail

Look he did not have an off season and did not even play in the Pre Season,  I believe from what they saw last year and what he had done in Practice he was still going to light it up.   To Protect him they tried to be more of a pocket passing team and it worked some of the time but not all the time.  Two reasons,. he was not healthy and he was throwing a lot of passes with his feet and legs not in positions.  Many commentators and experts have said that,.  He got away with it many times because of his arm strength,    Bill Belichick said it was imperative to have offseason work to work on the little things and to work on the boring things you just do not have time to do doing the regular season.   He agrees with Shanny on sitting him, he said imagine if he could not have had another off season, he has created some bad habits because of the injury and playing hurt.  He has not created even more bad habits because of the poor line play and the sacks you can see it in the games.

Hind site he probably should have set out the first 4 games if not the first half the season,.  But you cannot afford to have him hurt because of poor line play and his bad mechanics at this point.   

So I agree with Shanny,  Bill Belichick and other QB coaches..   

Archived