Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Officially worse then Zorn/Spurrier. I am totally defeated as a fan

SkinsHokieFan

Zorn and Spurrier didn't trade 3 first rounders (2 lost on net), one of which might be a #1 overall pick, and a 2nd  for the greatest QB prospect in 30 years and then mismanage him in every way possible.

What happened 10 months ago in Seattle was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than anything Spurrier and Zorn ever did.

If RGIII somehow does fail, it's 100% on Shanny. Look at the other QB busts - even coming in, you knew they had major issues. Compare the tape of Gabbert or Locker or Ponder or Clausen or Leinart or Shuler to RGIII's junior tape.

You are reaching to make your point.  

"Greatest QB prospect in 30 years?"  You really believe that?  

"What happened 10 months ago in Seattle was wa.....worse than anything Spurrier and Zorn ever did."  

Well, first off.  It was in D.C.  Secondly, remember the swinging gate, and Ramsey getting nailed by defensive ends because 150 pound Trung Candidate could not block them.

"If RG3 fails it's 100% on Shanny"  Really, 100% huh...then why doesn't Shanny just step out on the field if that is the case.  If he is totally and completely responsible for RG3's success or failure.  None of this is actually on Robert himself?      

Middle aged white men have cursed us.

That's the best thing you've said in weeks :)

I'd add one "old white man." I loved JKC, but he has a hand in this as well. FedEx was his baby and Norv was his guy. And what he decided to do with the team after his death was puzzling to say the least.

Maybe Snyder will finally hire a GM that evaluates talent and is separate from the coaching staff, offers some level of input to the coaching staff, but makes the final decisions. Then maybe he'll let that GM hire the head coach who will focus solely on coaching the team and hiring a staff none of which will be related to him by marriage, blood, or anything else. Not bloody likely, but hey, one can dream.

More likely, Snyder will use this train wreck to get right back into the GM business and allow RGII and RGIII to hire our next coach. I foresee a future where a Scott Campbell is elevated to talent evaluations with Snyder standing over him, ignoring his recommendations, alienating him, and spending tons every time some flash in the pan free agent comes along, more traded draft picks thrown out like so much refuse, and Art Briles as our next head coach, glad to take 10-12 mil from Snyder only to go back to the college ranks in a couple of years once RGIII is completely broken.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Native Americans have cursed us...

were they all out of curses in the 80's and in 1991????  ;)

I'm sad ... I'm not as dejected as I was after the Denver game. 

I am really just sad ... hated seeing Shanny get grilled, hated seeing RG3 having to be so damn serious.  Pierre on the Sports Fix today sounded horrible. 

I just don't understand ... what is missing? I don't mean the technical/operational side of things like a QB that is struggling, Special Teams that are under performing, lack of pass rush, etc. 

I mean, mojo wise ... swagger wise.  How can one team impose their will so thoroughly on another? It's amazing. 

What is this team lacking? 

You are reaching to make your point.  

"Greatest QB prospect in 30 years?"  You really believe that?  

"What happened 10 months ago in Seattle was wa.....worse than anything Spurrier and Zorn ever did."  

Well, first off.  It was in D.C.  Secondly, remember the swinging gate, and Ramsey getting nailed by defensive ends because 150 pound Trung Candidate could not block them.

"If RG3 fails it's 100% on Shanny"  Really, 100% huh...then why doesn't Shanny just step out on the field if that is the case.  If he is totally and completely responsible for RG3's success or failure.  None of this is actually on Robert himself?      

1: Ever watch him in college? He was the total package as a prospect. He was more accurate on his DEEP BALLS than most QBs are on their entire suite of passes. The only wart was that he was a spread QB, so he'd be raw compared to a Luck or Wilson who played in pro-style offenses. Spread QBs really need a 2-4 year learning curve before they become great pocket passers - see Brees, Drew (who was terrible until year 4) and Rodgers, Aaron (rode the bench until year 3) or Roethlisberger, Ben (won early but he had a ridiculously loaded team for hist first 2 years). And he was still ahead of the curve they set.

2: I meant to say "against". And the Swinging Gate didn't result in any franchise QB's ACL being torn. The entire country saw RGIII limping around except Shanny. I'm still kinda sad that people talked me out of my initial, correct reaction which was to fire Shanahan immediately (ideally out of a cannon), because I was right then, and now. He should have not even been allowed back in his office.

3: RGIII, again, was a total package as a prospect. The HC is responsible for developing a prospect into the total package as a QB. I generally believe that untalented QBs will fail and talented QBs will succeed. But Shanahan is going to be one of the few to make a talented QB fail at this rate. And a talented QB can overcome a lot - look at Stafford starting his career as a glass scuplture, and Brees spending 2 years getting annihilated in San Diego.

Defeated, demoralized-- I've passed those.

Like another poster, I just laughed, until I turned the game of midway through the 3rd quarter. 

I'd been a rabid Redskins fan for 31 years.  Rabid.  As a fan, I would get off the canvass everytime. 

Now, I feel like I did around the Swinging Gate.  I am not feeling this team anymore. 

I'll start to channel my passions elsewhere.  The World Cup is coming, my favorite national sides have qualified.  My college team is nationally ranked in basketball.  My NBA team is not as inept as I though so far. 

The Redskins are going to have to change to win me back.  But since I'm only one fan, and they can't seem to beat the incompetence of the past 2 decades, I won't hold my breath.

Native Americans have cursed us...

Makes as much sense as any other excuse!

Personally, If we do get a new coach, I want it to be someone fresh. No more old timers, you saw what happen with Gibbs, and now Shanahan. We've been saying it for years now, we need a young coach who can relate more to players now-a-days, like Jim Harbough or Pete Carrol, or Chip Kelley. Someone who can bring new life to this team.

I absolutely agree. Chucky!!!!

I agree that we have played pretty bad this year and at times have been embarrassing. However we were division champs and in the playoffs last year. Something that Zorn & Spurrier couldn't have dreamed of. One year blunder in my mind and we will be back in the playoff hunt next season in my opinion. 

The game starts at the lines. Our defensive line is just guys, our offensive line would consider themselves lucky to be described the same way. We can't pass protect, we can't pass rush, we don't clog running lanes well. Perry Riley has been a large disappointment, London Fletcher is unfortunately no longer young, Brian Orakpo needs his hand in the dirt, and our defensive coordination/playcalling is  and has been horrendous. Who didn't see us giving up 20 yards on 3rd and 18 last night? I don't care if its Anquan Boldin, good defenses don't **** up 3rd and 18.

I was one of Zorn's biggest critics on the board, great guy but I thought he was a lousy coach from the get go.  I don't feel the same way about Shanny, I defended him for the most part for his first 3 years, but he's mostly lost me now.

Shanny IMO is a C+ B- student who followed the combination of Vinny (F) and Zorn (F).  Shanny also in my opinion was much better as GM versus the Gibbs/Cerrato combination -- and while Gibbs wasn't much of an offensive mind during his 2nd tenure, Shanny still is.  But there is the trap -- he's a giant in the land of Redskins past midgets.  But IMO he's not a giant among the best NFL coaches/personnel guys. 

You have franchises turning around in 1-2 years.  Yeah the dude inherited a mess and you need to do a great job to turn around that mess quickly.  But IMO that's the problem he hasn't done great.  He's decent at it -- somethings right, something wrong -- some positives here, negatives there.    While I agree he's been better than what his record indicates -- have we seen anything that makes us think he's above the 8-8, 9-7 Denver teams in his later years?

A.  Outside of RB, here he hasn't found marquee talent in the later rounds ala what SF and Seattle and some other teams do -- which IMO is part of the recipe of developing great personnel.

B.  He's fit his critics stereotype to a tee -- great offensive mind but train wreck on defense

C.  By his own admission he's not a motivator

D.  Lombardi who worked with him says he routinely overestimates his teams talent -- we've seen that too.  Last year he said they have a top 5 defense talent wise, this year he said Superbowl or bust. 

E.  He's terrible with clock management.

This dude's defense and special teams unit are beyond bad, they are setting history for being among the worse units in the history of the NFL.  Based on Shanny's history do we really think he's going to turn that around next year (the magic 5th year) by going Danny Snyder style hog wild in FA and find critical defensive players in the draft without a first rounder?   

Neither here nor there but Zorn gets far more blame then he deserves considering the state of the team and his results.

Its strange to me that people feel more anger towards Zorn then Shanahan.

Zorn wildly handicapped in talent and in coaching staff still pieced together a decent offense.

But I digress.

I was one of Shanahan both Kyle and Mike's biggest proponents.

But the results aren't there.

Exactly...

I heard Gruden saying that a new coach will bring a new system and new players...

But will that make this team any worse???

It reminds me of the older version of the Bad News Bears when Buttermaker yells at the team and says, "All year you've been crapped on and laughed at. What the hell is the matter with you? Don't you wanna go out and beat those ****s???"

This team reflects its coach, it shows no heart and no pulse...

If not for the coach then how about themselves? Or how about the fan base? We can be fickle at times but we adore the burgundy and gold. Actualy I hold more allegence to the colors then I do any man wearing our colors.

They have given up. Just playing, running up and down the field now waiting for the season to end. Man this is some deep crap.

All sorts of arguments can be made for or against, one way or another.... but what it boils down to is the head coach, and this head coach that has full autonomy over all football decisions...so it falls squarely on him. Whether it's personnel, clock management, amount of penalties, FA brought in, Players drafted, a changed and horrible defense and special teams that are ranking in the worst ever in NFL history category... the staff/coaches assembled...it's on Mike and it's bad, very bad.  Spurrier or Zorn bad?...a bit far fetched, but bad just the same.

That's the business, 4 years and this is where it is.   Sorry last season was a bit of fools gold, lightning in a bottle...the defensive minds caught up/read option was figured out and nowhere near as successful this season. The amount of turnovers was close to the best in history in a season and wasn't likely to repeat.

Robert has a ways to go in the maturation of NFL level QBing, reading defenses, mechanics, decision making, etc. But it's his second year after a really bad injury and he has loads of talent to work with.

RG3, Alfred Morris, Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Jordan Reed, Pierre Garcon, DY are some nice pieces. Need a GM and coaching staff to build on that...sadly it's not this current one. Hail!

Archived