Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Officially worse then Zorn/Spurrier. I am totally defeated as a fan

SkinsHokieFan

Danny hasn't really been that involved. He's just bad at selecting managerial talent. How the hell did he get so rich? Seriously.

What he needs to do is hire a super qualified GM from another team that everyone knows is competent, like Eric DeCosta, and have him rebuild the organization on a foundational level.

I wonder what that conversation is like between Snyder and Shanahan after the game.  

Ray Lewis said this may be the worst Defense in football. He then followed that by saying that the Redskins are headed downwards because of RG3's decision making. Mike Tirico says "This looks like what I see on Saturdays" when referring to the Skins offense. John Gruden said "This is how you end up kicked out of the league" when referring to the lack of offensive preparation & adaptation.

I hate starting over, but this regime needs to go.  I don't know if it's the Shanahans fault totally, but it seems that he's lost the team.  No effort last night.  We got completely manhandled by the 49ers.  Fundamentals are lacking in every single aspect of this team.  To this point, the only players worth a damn on this team are Alfred Morris, Garcon and DHall.  Those 3 have been playing their hearts out and giving 100% effort no matter what.  Trent has been good too, except he had a very rough night last night.  

It all starts with the structure of this team.  Since Snyder bought the team, we haven't had a winning structure.  It seriously starts with a real GM.  In this day and age, we could bring in Vince Lombardi and if he's in control of all the roster moves, staff decisions, and coaching on top of the that, he would fail.  We need to just clean house (AGAIN) and do it right.  Hire a football guy, a real GM and go from there.  I'm with the OP, I'm completely defeated and don't know why this team keeps doing the same **** on and off the field year after year.  

Danny hasn't really been that involved. He's just bad at selecting managerial talent. How the hell did he get so rich? Seriously.

What he needs to do is hire a super qualified GM from another team that everyone knows is competent, like Eric DeCosta, and have him rebuild the organization on a foundational level.

I too am worried about Dan's coaching selections. The past few guys he's hired have all had massively different coaching philosophies from the predecessor.

Hiring someone that's on the polar end of the predecessor means more building and more 5 win seasons.

The entire Coaching staff has to go. What I saw last night was a grossly unprepared football team that has given up on their coaches. It's time to move on.

They've looked grossly unprepared almost every game this season.  There is no spark, this team just looks dead from week to week.  

Also as some others have mentioned during the game I wasnt even getting mad or upset as I usually do. IMO its just a poorly coached team in all phases. If Shannahan is here another year I will be baffled. Why does he need that 5th year? They are going BACKWARDS with ZERO progress. Last year was because defenses didnt know how to handle RG3's speed and that read option / pistol. Now with less speed and more of a pocket passer hes getting killed with that putrid o-line. 

There needs to be massive personnel changes and a mindset as a TEAM that its about heart, pride, passion, dignity and not just a paycheck.

I want a coach that gets FIRED UP, not some expressionless coach who looks like hes staring into limbo land the entire game. 

I hate starting over, but this regime needs to go.  I don't know if it's the Shanahans fault totally, but it seems that he's lost the team.  No effort last night.  We got completely manhandled by the 49ers.  Fundamentals are lacking in every single aspect of this team.  To this point, the only players worth a damn on this team are Alfred Morris, Garcon and DHall.  Those 3 have been playing their hearts out and giving 100% effort no matter what.  Trent has been good too, except he had a very rough night last night.  

It all starts with the structure of this team.  Since Snyder bought the team, we haven't had a winning structure.  It seriously starts with a real GM.  In this day and age, we could bring in Vince Lombardi and if he's in control of all the roster moves, staff decisions, and coaching on top of the that, he would fail.  We need to just clean house (AGAIN) and do it right.  Hire a football guy, a real GM and go from there.  I'm with the OP, I'm completely defeated and don't know why this team keeps doing the same **** on and off the field year after year.  

And even if you start over, the new guy can't pick his QB and won't have 2 years of first round picks.  So it basically limits your options to people that like what RG3 is about cuz that's the horse we're riding. 

Yeah, I said it, and I still think keeping him will give us the best chance to win a Super Bowl within the next 2 or 3 years.  I'm not sure why some of you are so eager to torpedo everything and start over again.  I see that plan as very likely delaying our next Lombardi. Maybe some of you want Shanahan gone so bad you can't see the bigger picture.  Starting over again will almost certainly start another rebuilding process.  

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe Shanahan should go...right now.  Tomorrow.  See ya.  I just hope that all of you that joygasm when that happens realize that if it happens we are very likely right back at square one again.  Personally, I would like to see another Super Bowl at some point before I'm collecting social ****ing security checks.  

We cannot continue this cycle of starting over every time we have a bad season.  Last year for me cancelled out the first two years.    

My reluctance to keep Shanahan stems from a concern that he will mismanage and misallocate the much-needed salary cap room the team will receive next year. Outside of having a 1st round pick, the team will have a full aramanet of options at its disposal in the upcoming offseason, but those options would be squandered if the issues plaguing this team currently are related to fundamental issues in its coaching and personnel management. It's would be like giving a monkey a bundle of cash. The new money isn't going to make that monkey any smarter, but what it does with the cash can hurt everyone else around for it for a long, long time.

And even if you start over, the new guy can't pick his QB and won't have 2 years of first round picks.  So it basically limits your options to people that like what RG3 is about cuz that's the horse we're riding. 

They'd go ONE year without a first round pick, that's 2014.

Grant Paulsen@granthpaulsen1m

Wow. Ouch. RT @RobCarlinCSN Vinny Cerato on 105.7 in Baltimore: "They still blame me? We were never 3-8.. We never had only 30 yards."

Well... whoever started this thread got someone up in B'more all lathered up.

Way to go, SHF! :P

Dan Steinberg@dcsportsbog7m

Caller to Vinny's show: "We need you back, buddy." Vinny: "How was that turf last night? Was that new grass nice?"

Rob Carlin@RobCarlinCSN11m

More Vinny Cerato, when asked about #Redskins loss: "Let's just say I poured a glass of red wine and enjoyed MNF".. #RedskinsTalk

Retweeted by Dan Steinberg

Dan Steinberg@dcsportsbog9m

Cerrato on Shanny: "It looks like the players have tuned him out."

Grant Paulsen‏@granthpaulsen1m

Wow. Ouch. RT @RobCarlinCSN Vinny Cerato on 105.7 in Baltimore: "They still blame me? We were never 3-8.. We never had only 30 yards."

Well... whoever started this thread got someone up in B'more all lathered up.

Way to go, Mikey! :P

Dan Steinberg‏@dcsportsbog7m

Caller to Vinny's show: "We need you back, buddy." Vinny: "How was that turf last night? Was that new grass nice?"

Rob Carlin‏@RobCarlinCSN11m

More Vinny Cerato, when asked about #Redskins loss: "Let's just say I poured a glass of red wine and enjoyed MNF".. #RedskinsTalk

Retweeted by Dan Steinberg

Dan Steinberg‏@dcsportsbog9m

Cerrato on Shanny: "It looks like the players have tuned him out."

Ugggh!  The ultimate indignity, getting clowned by Vinny.  

But in Vinny's last year they were 3-8, and then 3-9 after that.

Gibbs 2 might be one of the greatest coaching jobs ever considering what he had to deal with in the organization.

I always had hope, even during 2006, with Gibbs 2.

I have no idea what to hang my hat on right now. 

Not that I am comparing our talent to theirs, because I'm not (the talent isn't close) but look at what a coaching change did in KC in ONE off-season. You have to believe that with the right guy, we can make a similar turnaround. I have wanted to believe in Shanahan but it just isn't working.

I think Dan Snyder really has to allow the tone to be set by a GM, who hires everyone and is THE guy in the organization.

He needs to find his Beathard. 

Other then that, I really am not sure how the hell you fix this. We are supposed to have the ingredients 

Shanahan in this PC is reminding me of Steve Spurrier in late 2003. Just defeated 

The "GM defining the organizational identity" thing is really all I have left to hope for. I can't even hang my hat on the team clearly having its franchise QB at this point. That's something I was sure of a year ago.

It's very possible that 5 years from now there are different men in every key role in this franchise (both on and off the field). That's depressing.

The team didnt ask for my negative input when they decided to hire a coach that hadn't won anything in a decade and had never built his own winning team, a GM who was Al Davis' sock puppet, or a DC that has consistently had botton 5 defenses, so why would they now?

Remeber this guy hired Vinny to run everything TWICE, and Zorn (an average QB coach) to be Head coach.

Everytime they've decided to ****can and start over though I've wondered if things ever would have been this bad if Marty Schottenheimer was the coach the whole time. All he did was take his teams to the playoffs and would have to get lucky sooner or later like Coughlin did in NY, Dungy did with Indy, or Vermeil did in Stl. Hell Schottenheimer was even better than Belichick before NE got Brady.

I think the reason this feels worse than Zorn/Cerrato/Spurrier, etc is because I don't think as much was expected with those clowns. With Shannahan and all the praise people have given him about being a genius coach and blah blah blah...(Gruden even praised him last night).  I guess I just expected a more professionally run team. 

As much as I hate starting over and, ughh, rebuilding, it HAS to be better than watching this mess.

Five year plan fellas. Five years. This is year four.

Let's not act like a $16mm cap hit didn't hurt either. Significantly. Not making excuses, but that has caught up to us. We masked it last year, but if you don't think that matters in a league as balanced as the NFL then you are wrong.

One more year. Let's give them the full five.

The penalty has hurt, for sure. But the issue isn't just a lack of talent. We seem to be unprepared each week, come out with no enthusiasm, bad clock management, bad game planing on both sides of the ball... These things are on the coaches, not the players. If we simply got beat each week because of a lack of talent and these things never came up, then yeah, we could blame it all on the cap penalty. An all-pro at every position would still have problems winning with the issues that we face. We don't seem to be any better in year 4 than we were in year 1. I'm not sure that buys him the last year.

If there is one thing I could blame Snyder for (legitimately) It would be maybe giving Mike full autonomy over all football decisions, basically dropping on both knees while Mike unzipped in January '10. Most Super Bowl winning HC's are incredibly set in their ways. Any HC who wasn't too comfortable with the idea of being stubborn would have canned Haslett years ago.

Not that the D was the overwhelming issue tonight, but it has been putrid for 4 years. That is unacceptable, and because Mike answers only to Dan (who after being raked over the coals by this town and the national media, probably doesnt have the balls to fire him straight up at this point, along with half the coaches/GM's in the league hating him, giving him limited options, thus probably causing him to view Mike as his last big time HC effort before having to do some serious soul searching), he can puff out his chest... Because it's "All good."

Mike would probably take a bullet for his coordinators, and there is no one to challenge him on it. And thats bad for the long haul. Even when he does something good, its always one step forward, two steps back.

Good post...there needs to be checks and balances. Even Gibbs and Beathard bickered over decisions from time to time. It's a healthy thing that allows for creativity, collaboration, and innovation.

I think the reason this feels worse than Zorn/Cerrato/Spurrier, etc is because I don't think as much was expected with those clowns. With Shannahan and all the praise people have given him about being a genius coach and blah blah blah...(Gruden even praised him last night).  I guess I just expected a more professionally run team. 

As much as I hate starting over and, ughh, rebuilding, it HAS to be better than watching this mess.

I totally agree.  When Zorn/Cerrato/Spurrier fell flat, people understood it.  Shanahan's supposed to be better than this, which makes it that much more disappointing.

Are we forgetting that the cap penalty is the result of actions instigated by Shanahan and Allen? Some of us are making it out to be an unwarranted and unprovoked punishment, and while I'll be among the first to tell everyone that it's a BS penalty to begin with, it was nevertheless prompted by the negligence of the current regime.

If we're going to use the penalty as an excuse as to why this team is bad, let some of us admit that the team is bad as a result of a penalty instigated by the current regime's incompetence and that it should be held accountable for it, along for its other failings.

With arguably THE easiest schedules in the history of the league...

There is also this gem: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200312140was.htm

Vinny Cerrato should just STFU.

Troy Hambrick went off that game.  lol

Reading old box scores is like looking at a time capsule.  I mean, some of those names:  Chad Morton, Darnerian McCants, Zeron Flemister, et al.  

Archived