Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I hope tonight's game erases any illusion about the "talent" level on this team.

NoCalMike

Everyone talks about coaching.

Who would we get and would they have the same issues?

Would they change the system and dump both RG!!! and KC?

How many years do we wait for the new coaching staff to start showing progress, 2years, 4, 6 10?

I watch a new coach come into Philly and guess what, he may win the NFC east, but I guarantee, GUARANTEE that he will finish dead last next year. New to the NFL means success, but the following year = fail.

I don't really want to see Mike go away, I do however want to see the OC and the DC get the hell out of the NFL, they don't belong. 
Haslett couldn't figure out how to break a hole in a paper sack, let alone a beginning level O-line in the NFL.

Something has to change, it is obvious that the team has quit on this coaching staff.

Something has to change and it needs to change  now.

Dear Mr. Snyder

Please stop sitting on your @$$ and make something happen, spark this team. The season is gone, and just like every year I end up saying "there's always next year" but you can make a change and at least give the fans something to look forward to other that games like tonight.

Please stop sitting on your @$$ and make something happen, spark this team. The season is gone, and just like every year I end up saying "there's always next year" but you can make a change and at least give the fans something to look forward to other that games like tonight.

Like bringing in the bingo caller?

He has done it a lot.

Lets bring in a real GM who picks a coach.

We had the Seattle Seahawks down 14-0 and on the ropes.

We had the Denver Broncos down 21-7 and on the ropes.

Plenty of talent, but effort and execution are issues.  Also doesn't help when you sit an All-Pro calibre TE in Fred Davis who could be helping us.

All-pro caliber is quite a reach.  Unbelievable the amount of love a tight end with only one good year out of six gets around here.  For a guy who apparently sleeps during meetings when he's not skipping him.  He's exactly the type of player we don't need on this team.

the cap penalty had nothing to do with the following signings....

1) Josh Morgan

2) Chris Chester

3) Wil Montgomery

4) Kory Lichtensteiger

5) Fred Davis (re-signed)

6) Santana moss (re-signed)

7) Stephen Bowen

8) Brandon Meriweather

9) Josh Wilson

Garcon was a very good signing...Cofield was a good signing....that's it....2 hits, 9 misses

Davis on a one year deal to guarantee depth for out tight ends wasn't a bad signing.  The other guys, especially a guy like Meriweather, were kind of the best of what we could get.  Exactly which safety was a better option in free agency?  We didn't have a whole lot of options.

Maybe the rest of the season we should hope to lose out.  The reason being, Mike Greeney pointed this out to me last season about his Jets.  He said he doesn't WANT the Jets to win anymore games after the season was lost because he doesnt want the owner/GM to believe the team with the current roster is "close" by any stretch of the imagination at getting to the big game.  A 3-13 record indicates you're no where close and major changes are needed.  A 7-9 record would indicate you're almost there you just let a couple ones slip away.

My personal opinion on the game is that I don't know whats weaker, our horrid WR play or our weak OL.  SF's dline made mincemeat of our Oline.  Whichever of the two, a better OL would create an illusion that our WRs are better then they actually are and vice versa.  Maybe Daniel Snyder should force the GMs hand and force a Kirk Cousins trade to obtain a draft pick or two.  This would give us another chance to look for diamonds in the rough or solid depth, and also take away the option of the new coach (if it happens) to go with Cousins opposed to RG3.

the cap penalty had nothing to do with the following signings....

1) Josh Morgan

2) Chris Chester

3) Wil Montgomery

4) Kory Lichtensteiger

5) Fred Davis (re-signed)

6) Santana moss (re-signed)

7) Stephen Bowen

8) Brandon Meriweather

9) Josh Wilson

Garcon was a very good signing...Cofield was a good signing....that's it....2 hits, 9 misses

said it all, right there!

Question is, how do you measure talent? Seems like the word talent gets tossed around one way or another without much thought. Did we have talent last year when we went 10-6? I don't recall too many people talking about the talent level on our team last year. The Seahawks are often mentioned as an example of a "talented" team, yet they didn't look heads and shoulders more talented than us when we played them last year. The much maligned O-line is the same as last year, albeit a year older. The OL looked like turnstiles, even our best OL in Trent against Aldon Smith. Is this an example of a lack of talent? Are our WR so "untalented" that they cannot get open downfield against a depleted secondary, as SF was tonight?

Hate to say it, and I am probably stating the obvious, but the issue IMO is less about talent than it is about poor QB play. We have a QB who cannot operate in the pocket, and one who cannot throw his receivers open. Keep him in the pocket, and you've basically won the game because the offense can do nothing but throw WR screens all day long (okay, that might be an exaggeration but that's how it felt tonight.) People talk about the lack of protection Griffin has, but elite QBs find a way to overcome. Look at Rodgers, he got sacked 51 times last year yet still maintained a high level of play. Look at Big Ben, who has had many 45+ sack seasons. If we want Griffin to be mentioned among the elite QBs, lack of protection shouldn't really be an excuse. We use those excuses for the Gus Frerottes of the world. We will start to look more "talented" once our QB play improves, guaranteed.

Davis on a one year deal to guarantee depth for out tight ends wasn't a bad signing.  The other guys, especially a guy like Meriweather, were kind of the best of what we could get.  Exactly which safety was a better option in free agency?  We didn't have a whole lot of options.

Give me a break. Those 9 players are getting about 37 mil per year.

The excuses for Shanahn are ridiculous. Especially when they are predicated on considering him a victim after he was too stupid to trade Albert Haynesworth.

Aldon Smith wasn't getting the best of Trent Williams until later in the game though, when the teams were separated by multiple scores and the 49ers defense could anticipate a one-dimensional offense.  When you get down by a lot, and it is late in the game, the defense can modify the way they play. Some coordinators go super conservative, some unleash the heat.  It was obvious that the 49ers decided to go into uber-attack mode once they had this team on the ropes.

Also, the O-line is a unit, they usually live or die as a unit.  When they give up a sack or the pocket collapses it isn't always a matter of a one on one matchup.   Aldon Smith definitely got the better of Trent on a couple occasions, but Trent held his own through the game early on when the game was still somewhat competitive. 

Why are people still not understanding why the O-line performed better last year?  Robert's threat as a runner in the pistol took away the blitzing from defenses.  They had to play on their heels and wait instead of attack.  With Robert's acceleration burst gone (just for 2013 I hope), Defenses are attacking this O-line straight on and they can't handle it.  Go watch the game again but just focus on the line play. They virtually collapse into Robert on every single pass attempt.

People on this board seem to not get that just because Robert isn't running or scrambling, doesn't mean he got good pass protection. Having a clean pocket has way more to do with just not getting sacked.  There are throwing lanes, there are spaces to step up, etc etc....when the O-line is being pushed back into your face, right after the ball is snapped, the QB does not have a pocket to "step up into" like so many folks here seem to cry out for.   You contrast this with the 49er's O-line and while one lineman gets pushed a little, the integrity of the pocket is not compromised regularly.  Kaep still has a clean throwing lane to step up and deliver throws downfield. Not to mention he has guys wide open by 5-10 yards.   Did you see how poor Kaepernick looked the few times our defense pressured him?  He looked every bit as bad as Robert has when he actually had to try and read a defense.  The difference is that only happens a handful of times per game for him as opposed to almost every single attempt for Robert.  

Prime example.  That long bomb incompletion to Aldrick.  People see that play and they act like Robert dropped back, saw Aldrick and simply missed/underthrew him.  No, go back and watch. He drops back, No one is open on the primary routes.  Robert tucks the ball sees an opening to get through the D-line, he takes off, sees that Aldrick has improvised a deep route, and tries to stop on a dime and heave the ball.  Aldrick initially makes a good adjustment to the ball, jumps up and tries to catch it with his facemask instead of his hands. Incomplete.  Those kind of plays are low percentage. Those are not the circumstances that most big plays are made under, Robert is making the majority of his throws under heavy duress. Can you point to some of them and say he is holding onto the ball too long? Sure, but if he threw the ball away every single time no one was open instead of trying to wait for something to develop, I guarantee you he'd get even more criticism for bailing on plays too soon.

Talent may be suspect, but the approach they take (due to coaching and scheme) is not up to NFL caliber at all.. When he's getting pummeled in the pocket, why don't try some designed roll outs to move the pocket and get some heat off him? The OL is small and quick, it should be to their advantage as well to be on the move? But nah, just keep letting him drop back and have his line and the D's in his lap in under 2 seconds... I mean, it's only 11 games in, of a 4 year effort, it'll work eventually, right? :(

This. One of the staples of Mike's offense is the bootleg. We never run it. Last year they tailored the offense to Griffin's skillset. This year, it seems like they're forcing him to be something he is not. 

Archived