Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Meriweather- Suspension Looming?

Yeen80

It wasnt Meriweather who swung his helmet. Meriweather did stomp on a player while he was on the ground....much better.

That is correct. Thank you for the refresher. Still my point stands.

I feel the ST comparisons are pretty fair. Difference is that this guy has been in the league for years now.

In terms of the Alshon Jeffrey hit...

If Merriweather wraps up, instead of simply launching himself at him and pushing him at the end, I think that doesn't get called a penalty.

I agree, it looks like he was going shoulder to chest and it just happened to be that the crown of his head hit the side of Jeffrey's helemt.

Had he wrapped up and gone to the ground with Jeffrey, I doubt a call is made. In that case it looks like a good, clean tackle and the helmet contact just looks natural in the course of a tackle.

But because he didn't wrap up, lunged forward, pushed at the end with his arms, and went to the ground together it instead had the real time impression of him "Launching" forward while the reciever was still defenseless and it LOOKED like a helmet to helmet hit.

Had he used good form and WRAPPED with that tackle, rather than just trying to apply a big hit, I think the exact same contact could've happened without a flag.

Brandon does not tackle.  He leads with his head and hits up around the shoulders quite near the helmet's of his opponents and sometimes he "misses" and makes helmet to helmet contact around the head.  It really is that simple.

He has been taught a version of fundamental defensive play that is becoming extinct in the league.   I am not sure he can adjust it at this late stage in his career.  From what I can see he is not trying "lay" opponents out or hurt anyone. 

So the big issue is can he adjust?  I say it is an automatic response and so probably not.  The other issue is that he is going to hurt himself and other players in the process of trying to adjust. 

I suspect he will be fined but that he is going to become a liability out there because what was automatic is now going to be consciously thought about.  Players do not play well if they play from a "let's think about this" place. 

Bang, I'm out of likes, but your points are absolutely spot on. :)

If the NFL would like to avoid potential lawsuits, and it's clear to me that this is what these rules are about and NOT player safety, maybe they shouldn't allow football to be played anymore. I mean, getting hit in the legs repeatedly also causes damage that could potentially hinder players from walking normally in the future. Also, taking a bunch of hits to the gut could rupture an organ or something. Maybe the digestive problems a player has after he's out of the league for a few years is due to those hits. 

Merriweather should NOT appeal if it's a one-game suspension. We aren't going to beat Denver anyway, and he won't be the difference. He could, however, be a difference maker against teams like San Diego and Minnesota. 

Why not ? The defeatest attitude is so confusing.

The position that he plays and the energy he plays with... makes a huge difference in any game.

I feel for guys like Merriweather. You are taught since high school how to hit through a guys body, and Merriweather is good at it. Now the NFL has everyone paying such close attention to incidental helmet to helmet contact. There was always some contact and that's the point of the helmet. Merriweather's hit in Green Bay was bad, but the two against the Bears were just football plays in my mind.

I'm more upset about hits directly to the knee like the one EJ manuel took from TJ Ward, or Cobb took the other week. Both of those players will miss extended time whereas Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey should be fine. The NFL is forcing players to cripple each other by exaggerating this stupid rule. Direct helmet to helmet shots like the one in GB should be a penalty. Solid hits like yesterday are a part of football.

Why not ? The defeatest attitude is so confusing.

The position that he plays and the energy he plays with... makes a huge difference in any game.

They are the best team in the NFL. They have 4 receivers that we can't cover. I want Merriweather with us for the games we have a legitimate chance to win.

Sure, any given Sunday. But I want Merriweather for games that are more winnable than at Denver. 

I'm more upset about hits directly to the knee like the one EJ manuel took from TJ Ward, or Cobb took the other week. Both of those players will miss extended time whereas Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey should be fine.

they will be fine short term, but what about long term? The whole point of these penalties is to reduce the chances of players getting head injuries which leads to long term problems. What is the NFL supposed to do when former players have serious brain injuries and are killing themselves? I don't condone going high or low but the the NFL is trying to get the message across. Leg injuries will heal, brain injuries won't.

Here's how defenders are now doubly screwed:  sandwiched between those two penalties was a play where a Bears receiver caught the ball over the middle.  Merriwether eased up a bunch as he moved in for a hit, probably not wanting a penalty.  As a result, the player caught the ball and was able to bounce off the decelerating Merriwether for additional yardage.  Defensive players schooled their whole football careers to drive through the offensive player must now unlearn everything they've been taught about how to be an aggressive, hard-hitting, clean player.  (Yes, clean.  Five years ago those same hits would have been applauded as good fundamental football.)

I understand the reason for the rule change.  I also understand the difficulty of a player trying to undo a lifetime of ingrained technique to adapt to the new football reality.  I'm not so eager as others to dump on Merriwether for this.

they will be fine short term, but what about long term? The whole point of these penalties is to reduce the chances of players getting head injuries which leads to long term problems. What is the NFL supposed to do when former players have serious brain injuries and are killing themselves? I don't condone going high or low but the the NFL is trying to get the message across. Leg injuries will heal, brain injuries won't.

The longterm head injuries are from concussions. Concussions are usually from your head slamming to the ground or direct helmet to helmet hits like Merriweather in Green Bay. Or random hits like Reed Doughty took. The NFL is fooling you all, and maybe themselves since the ones making the rules have never played, into thinking any time the helmets touch a player is going to have a concussion. It's just not true. I'd take a hit to the chest like Jeffrey got any day over a hit to the knee like Cobb got.

I feel for guys like Merriweather. You are taught since high school how to hit through a guys body, and Merriweather is good at it. 

If people are being taught to hit with the shoulder and drive through a ball carrier thats bad coaching whatever the strike zone. Proper tackling technique is about using the arms to wrap up, seeing what you hit with your head up not lowering so the crown of your helmet is making contact anywhere on the ball carrier and taking the ball carrier to the ground.

The poor standard of tackling in both College football and the NFL is something which really irritates me.

If people are being taught to hit with the shoulder and drive through a ball carrier thats bad coaching whatever the strike zone. Proper tackling technique is about using the arms to wrap up, seeing what you hit with your head up not lowering so the crown of your helmet is making contact anywhere on the ball carrier and taking the ball carrier to the ground.

The poor standard of tackling in both College football and the NFL is something which really irritates me.

You are forgetting the biggest part of tackling- chest to chest or body to body. Arm tackling gets you cut. It's possible to knock a guy down without using your arms, which is what we see players often try because it looks better, but if you tackle without the body contact they are going to run right past you. When you tackle correctly, and an offensive player braces for the hit, some helmet contact may happen like yesterday.

You are forgetting the biggest part of tackling- chest to chest or body to body. Arm tackling gets you cut. It's possible to knock a guy down without using your arms, which is what we see players often try because it looks better, but if you tackle without the body contact they are going to run right past you. When you tackle correctly, and an offensive player braces for the hit, some helmet contact may happen like yesterday.

Oh I'm not saying you ONLY tackle with your arms, but when you get chest to chest with your head up and arms wrapping any helmet contact with be incidental and should not get you a flag. You MIGHT get a flag but you will be OK most times. You make the same hit without your arms and get helmet contact you will see a flag more time than not.

Edit. I'm conscious I speak as an ex QB who made about 3 tackles my entire career none of which appear on any highlight reels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM5ZIpoRWM8

This is what annoys me about this whole helmet to helmet emphasis. I've attached a video of how the NFL and this heads up program are teaching players to tackle. The techniques they are teaching are fine, but the expectations they are setting are unrealistic. How? Look at every ball carrier in every drill. They are running straight up. No RB or WR is going to stand tall so you can get in their chest and knock them out. If they do, they won't last long. Ball carriers are going to brace for impact or straight try to run you over. Imagine this video with Frank Gore as the RB or Brandon Marshall as the WR. Even with perfect technique, the collision won't be as clean as the NFL is setting the standard. 

They need to penalize guys for helmet to helmet hits or hits with the crown of the helmet. These penalties for anytime the helmets touch, or fans calling players dirty for making solid hits are ridiculous.

Oh I'm not saying you ONLY tackle with your arms, but when you get chest to chest with your head up and arms wrapping any helmet contact with be incidental and should not get you a flag. You MIGHT get a flag but you will be OK most times. You make the same hit without your arms and get helmet contact you will see a flag more time than not.

Look at my previous post. If you tackle with the exact form they are teaching in that video, and the RB even slightly leans forward, there will be helmet contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM5ZIpoRWM8

This is what annoys me about this whole helmet to helmet emphasis. I've attached a video of how the NFL and this heads up program is teaching players to tackle. The techniques they are teaching are fine, but the expectations they are setting are unrealistic. How? Look at every ball carrier in every drill. They are running straight up. No RB or WR is going to stand tall so you can get in their chest and knock them out. If they do, they won't last long. Ball carriers are going to brace for impact or straight try to run you over. Imagine this video with Frank Gore as the RB or Brandon Marshall as the WR. Even with perfect technique, the collision won't be as clean as the NFL is setting the standard. 

They need to penalize guys for helmet to helmet hits or hits with the crown of the helmet. These penalties for anytime the helmets touch, or fans calling players dirty for making solid hits are ridiculous.

Look at my previous post.

Okay, so how is Merriweather getting them so much more often than every other player, including those who still make tackles?

Sorry, but he's a headhunter and a POS.  It's his fault completely, not the rules.  Somehow everyone else in the league is fine, but the rules are unfair when it comes to just 31?  Please.

Okay, so how is Merriweather getting them so much more often than every other player, including those who still make tackles?

Sorry, but he's a headhunter and a POS.  It's his fault completely, not the rules.  Somehow everyone else in the league is fine, but the rules are unfair when it comes to just 31?  Please.

There are a lot of safeties getting these penalties, or letting up and WRs catching the ball because they don't hit them hard enough, or players getting hit in the knee and getting hurt every time. You must not watch other games.

The thing that bothers me about the flags on Merriweather is that Tillman's tackle of RGIII looks almost exactly the same as the Jeffery hit. Grant Paulsen just tweeted two screen shots of the hits and I've watched the RGIII hit about ten times. Tillman ducks his head and then hits up on Griffin. Merriweather actually looks like he is trying to lower his strike zone while Tillman aims high. I guess Merriweather has a rep and that's the difference.

Bernard Pollard, Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, are all fined multiple times in every season.  I'm pretty sure Goldson almost got suspended this year already. 

Safeties are in such a difficult spot.  WRs are generally in the "defenseless mode" when a safety is around them.  Dislodging the ball is what these players have been asked to do for decades.  Now all of a sudden you want to change how they play with a couple new penalties and fines? 

I feel like a lot of the comments here are by people who never played football before or in general don't realize what these defenders are being asked to do.  It's a legitimate lose-lose situation and there is a reason why so many defensive players and coaches have a problem with the new rules. 

There are a lot of safeties getting these penalties, or letting up and WRs catching the ball because they don't hit them hard enough, or players getting hit in the knee and getting hurt every time. You must not watch other games.

Yeah, because when I think "all-pro safety", I think of the safeties getting constant flags and fines for helmet-to-helmet because they don't know how to play the game.

Archived