Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Meriweather- Suspension Looming?

Yeen80

First let me say, I think he needs to change his strike zone so its legal so the team is not penalized.

After watching the hits again, I think the one on AJ wasn't bad, he looks as if he was aiming for his chest and AJ kind of curls up and brings his head down some, but looks like the chest is hit first then his head, not sure what else he should do here but hit him in the legs or something, but if he takes out his knee he's is still called dirty.

The second hit was late (that's what the penalty was for) the ball was already knocked away and he took a couple of steps and launched himself to the head, all aspects of that hit were illegal.

I here he is getting a game, I'd like to see Gumbs and Robinson get some more work at S. Biggers will probably get a chance to play some FS next week. Might not be a bad thing against that passing attack of the Broncos.

Their playing style isn't similar at all.  Sean Taylor knew how to hit and he damn sure wasn't a dirty player. 

Yes it is. Lets be real here. As another poster mentioned, if Sean Taylor was playing in today's NFL, he's be considered a dirty player and would fall in the same category as Meriweather. Brandon doesnt have the same ball skills as ST did, but he sure instills a similar fear in the WR's head.

Based on everything I'm hearing, Brandon Meriweather will be suspended following his latest incident launching himself at opponent's head

He can always appeal and delay the process. Id also rather him sit vs San Diego that Denver. Especially following Reed's concussion. We are paper thin at safety

http://www.rotoworld...-ss-meriweather

The NFL will suspend Redskins SS Brandon Meriweather for one or two games

Meriweather was flagged for two clear-cut personal fouls in Sunday's win over the Bears, adding to his well-deserved reputation as a head-hunter. The NFL is still mulling the length of the ban, but this one should stick on appeal. Meriweather's long history of fines has obviously done nothing to change his playing style. With Reed Doughty battling a concussion, the Redskins are getting thin at safety.

I don't like the comparisons to Sean Taylor, or his type of play. Meriweather doesn't look nearly as strong, and looks to launch himself at the heads of opponents. Taylor would just flat out spear guys while wrapping them up. I know Taylor was watched a little more by refs because of his aggressive nature, but Meriweather, to me, is not in the same conversation.

Some of you guys takes are interesting.

Redskins knew the type of player this guy was when they got him. Good with the bad.

Are none of you old enough to remember that helmet swinging incident while he was at Miami ?

This guy is a dangerous weapon. He is needed to compensate for youth and a gambler.

This is football. I will get bored with it if they stop hitting. It will be ping pong to me at that point.

It's football.

Some of you guys takes are interesting.

Redskins knew the type of player this guy was when they got him. Good with the bad.

Are none of you old enough to remember that helmet swinging incident while he was at Miami ?

This guy is a dangerous weapon. He is needed to compensate for youth and a gambler.

This is football. I will get bored with it if they stop hitting. It will be ping pong to me at that point.

It's football.

It wasnt Meriweather who swung his helmet. Meriweather did stomp on a player while he was on the ground....much better.

Brandon Marshall whining?  Naw...he had a legit gripe.  Meriweather is a dumb football player.  Period.  That being said, he's our best safety.  For as much of a liability as he is, we need him on the field.  Can't wait for next year when we have actual cap space and can rid ourselves of his services. 

Brandon Marshall whining?  Naw...he had a legit gripe.  Meriweather is a dumb football player.  Period.  That being said, he's our best safety.  For as much of a liability as he is, we need him on the field.  Can't wait for next year when we have actual cap space and can rid ourselves of his services. 

Im looking at the GIF's above, and I dont think Marshall got hit that hard. 

Im looking at the GIF's above, and I dont think Marshall got hit that hard. 

3 things:

1.  Marshall was defenseless

2.  The hit was late

3.  He lauched towards his head

All of those combined w/ his history makes for a VERY easy call to suspend him. 

As far as the Jeffery hit, in TODAY'S NFL, leading with the helmet, that's a no-no.  There is no defending that.  I'm sorry...but you got to have on some clown-size B&G glasses to say otherwise.  He's a modern-day Chuck Cecil. 

I understand today's rules and I also understand why they have changed them due to the concussion suit, but damn if I have to like it.  I would say 7 out of 10 flagged "defenseless receiver" calls (just my opinion, no "real" numbers) are crap.  I'm thinking I won't like the game anymore in about 10 years.  I'm starting to gravitate away from it now.

I yearn for the day that Meriweather is no longer part of this team.

He just doesn't get it and despite advice from everyone, still is hell-bent on playing his kamikaze/headhunting style of football.

If he's suspended, it's well deserved.

I understand today's rules and I also understand why they have changed them due to the concussion suit, but damn if I have to like it.  I would say 7 out of 10 flagged "defenseless receiver" calls (just my opinion, no "real" numbers) are crap.  I'm thinking I won't like the game anymore in about 10 years.  I'm starting to gravitate away from it now.

No doubt...a few years back, the hits on Lacy, Jeffery, etc. would not be scrutinized, nor would he have been flagged for the latter.  However, it's a different league who now has an identity shaped by the concussion lawsuits.  The game is changing before our eyes.  10 years from now, you'll probably be watching something that resembeled football.  LOL. 

Basically Any good hard hit to the chest area is gonna cause helmet to helmet contact as the impact causes the wr's head to whip downward

Thats what I saw. I think the Jeffery hit was clean.  It was shoulder to chest and Jeffrey's head whipped downward. I don't think that should have been a flag. It's like the NFL wants the DB to give the WR the opportunity to run before you can attempt to tackle him.  I was defending Merriweather on those hits till I saw the second one again.  Marshall was falling then Merriweather launched himself upward which lead to contact with marshall's helmet.  Doesn't help that Marshall was already falling down when Merriweather launched himself.  Not good.

Both of those hits were dirty imo, The Marshall hit just plain ole crosses the line. Meriweather is going to end up seriously injuring or even killing someone the way he plays.

I am not a fan of the new rules at all some of those defenseless reciever penalties are a joke but this guy is just a hazzard to himself and players around the league.

Yeah, we will always have recordings and memories of the game we grew up watching. I understand the frustration of most fans with this.

But to the players, it's no excuse. If your company changes its policies, you are welcome to resist and face the consequences or you can be professional. Right now, Meriweather is not being professional. Even if he doesn't believe he's being malicious and risking the long-term health of his opponents, he's killing his team with huge penalties.

The bang-bang plays have to be frustrating for these guys. But that play in the end zone was a horrible decision. The ball was out, two other guys were there, and he easily could have pulled up.

Archived