Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Meriweather- Suspension Looming?

Yeen80

Sammy Baugh played for forty years with a leather hat and lived well into his 90s.

players have gotten bigger, stronger, faster. the hits today are way more vicious then even 20 years ago.

it is a game of collisions. and they can urge players to take it easier,, penalize them.. but they have to be reasonable.

as it is now, in the rules it is written that the responsibility is entirely on the defender, even if he's in the air when the ball goes off a guy. 

It's ridiculous.

and thats one of the problems. they shouldn't be launching themselves. this is one of the rules the nfl put in place.

look, I understand theres no way to eliminate these injuries. but the nfl has been busted big time with this concussion cover up thing. what are they supposed to do? more and more evidence is coming out that these repeated blows to the head are causing serious long term effects. they have to try something to make the game safer. they won't solve everything right off the bat. I'm sure these rules will get tweaked over time. The rules will never be perfect.

A guy can be in the air for MANY more reasons other than launching.

I don't get this "busted" part.

are they going to disband? Will the owners be going to jail?

will the league cease to be?

Nope..  regardless of how "busted" they are in this, guys will line up around the block 5 times to play, and people will line up further to pay to see it.

As far as them being "busted' goes... i'm of the thinking that if you really didn't know football was dangerous, and you really don't know that multiple concussions can be detrimental to your long term health, then walking across the street is likely to be a challenge,

the NFL can supposedly suppress all this info, but you'd have to be an absolute and utter fool to need to have those things proven to you. And unless the NFL can be proven to force players to play.. or a player can prove that IF he knew the risks he would have never played...  i don't see the bust here.

Players don't play because they need a job and "pro football player wanted" was in the paper, they play because they love it.

it is unfortunate, i believe that the only real "bust' from this is that lawyers will be able to use it against the NFL in courts of law, where it doesn't matter that the player played voluntarily, and it doesn't matter that you'd have to really, and i mean REALLY be one hell of a stupid adult to not realize that continuing to pound your head like that will lead to bad things.

the NFL's hand is in a cookie jar that everyone knows about, and has always known about. The very fact that they have continually improved the armor the players wear shows that everyone knows it and have always known it.

frankly, i think the main problem these older players have is money. They didn't make enough of it, and now they want a bigger piece of a pie that has grown considerably. They feel as if they've been used and left out.

i feel for them, i really do. But i am not so naive as to not know what drives these things, and as usual it's money, and the fear of losing it to a lawyer.

~Bang

Redskins SS Brandon Meriweather has appealed his two-game suspension.

Meriweather was suspended two games for "repeated violations" of the the league's on-field policy, which is the stiffest suspension handed down by the NFL this season against a player for an illegal hit. The Washington Post reports that there will be an expedited hearing for his appeal, with a decision likely coming before Sunday’s game.

Oct 22 - 11:45 AM

Archived