Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Pft - Report: Bills Open To Trading Jairus Byrd

Bobby Peppers

We have two young and talented guys in Phillip Thomas and Biccari Rambo. I don't understand why no one is patient enough to allow talent to develop on this defensive secondary.

What have you seen from 6th round pick Rambo to give you any confidence he'll get better.  All I've seen is really poor tackling and not the best coverage.  As far as Thomas, who knows...he's missing his rookie year with a serious foot injury.  Who knows how long it'll take to recover and when he'll be 100%.  We can't rely on either of these guys for a few years AT LEAST, if ever.  We are going to need a safety ASAP!  I hope Byrd doesn't get traded and hits the FA market next year, he's the perfect ball hawk

I think we should keep our ears perked to gauge how other teams are responding to the asking price. Somebody could throw a second or third round pick in for him if they have an extra pick in those rounds, but if that doesn't happen the Bills are suddenly on their backs. It would be a mistake to get involved in the first wave of offers though.

No team will offer more than a 4th rounder for him. Last year of his deal, injured and being paid a lot for this season. The main hiccup will be how much the Bills are willing to cover on his remaining salary this year. This week's earlier deals of Levi Brown and Monroe were able to be made because those teams (Cards and Jags) agreed to take-on significant money to make the deal. 

So, if the Bills are willing to cover most of his contract and take a 5th or 6th rounder in the process, the Skins should jump all over it. It would be a rental, but also an opportunity to see what he has to offer. Who knows, maybe this is a guy that had targeted for free agency this summer. 

Laughable to trade Orakpo for Byrd. You guys are willing to trade a home grown product and a proven productive player in Orakpo for a player we know nothing about, aside from some of his on field accomplishments. This will not happen. 

I understand we have extreme talent issues on the back end, but trading Orakpo is not the answer. 

We have two young and talented guys in Phillip Thomas and Biccari Rambo. I don't understand why no one is patient enough to allow talent to develop on this defensive secondary.

one guy is hurt and the other guys flat out sucks. Can they get better? maybe. There is no reason to be optimistic with regards to any of their futures though. Especially Rambo. Dude is hot garbage so far. If you can get something better for reasonable value you go for it. Problem is that trades for Byrd are pipe dreams. 

Trading Rak for Byrd is crazy.

Why? Brian Orakpo is a 27 year old two time pro bowler that needs a new contract. Jarius Byrd is a 26 year old 2 time pro bowler 2 time all pro that needs a new contract. Byrd has plantar fasciitis which is a pain to be rid of and Rak has torn his pectoral muscle twice in two seasons and missed 14 games last season.

What's the crazy part?

I think it all comes down to how much Orakpo is asking for. If its reasonable then I can see keeping him, but if he's asking for elite defensive player money....

Here we go again.  Another 'thing' to fix the defense huh?  

Distraction from the real problem.  Find someone who has a full understanding of how to scheme vs obvious passing situations.  Find someone who isn't simply hoping for sacks and turnovers.  Please.

As I understand it he has plantar fasciitis injuries on both feet. You don't see that everyday. Someone needs to introduce him to custom orthotics and advise that he stop buying discount cleats. The good news is that treatment and rest typically clear that injury up completely. Stress on rest, there is no way around simply waiting for it to heal. If they fix this footwear issue and he learns to stretch properly it should be recurring.

This could be a situation where the skins consider trading Orakpo if they don't think resigning him will be something they want to pay. Both guys are going to need a new contract and the skins might have a greater need in the secondary right now with Rob Jackson coming back. I'm not an Orakpo hater but getting a probowl defensive back is big time value.

Espn says he's 26.

Your right he is 26 - I had read he was 28 somewhere but that was incorrect.

That does make him more attractive - it would depend though on the trade price and the contract he wants long term. I think he will be too expensive to be realistic on both counts.

Like I said, we need to do due diligence. I've seen him in action, and he's a VERY, VERY good football player. He'd be perfect for our scheme and the things we want to do. But, he's not worth handicapping an opportunity to upgrade other important positions on the roster.

Bruce Allen should feel it out.

And I wouldn't necessarily put Orakpo on the table... (The Bills likely wouldn't want him anyways with Manny Lawson, Jerry Hughes and Mario Williams as their OLBs. Williams is costing them a TON of money.)

Your right he is 26 - I had read he was 28 somewhere but that was incorrect.

That does make him more attractive - it would depend though on the trade price and the contract he wants long term. I think he will be too expensive to be realistic on both counts.

I would think you'd offer him an incentive based deal. Prove your health and worth this year, and we;ll take care of you. 

The potential stumbling block for me is the asking price. I really wouldn't want to go higher than a 5th. He's worth a LOT higher fully fit. But the ball should be in the buying teams court given his health and it being a known fact that the Bills are not going to extend him and are looking to ship him before he walks for free. 

If we're interested, we need to play hard ball. 

Hail. 

He hasn't played yet.  He's got a foot injury.  And he wants a big contract.

I'm not sure that it's worth the headache.  And the roster spot for this year.  

He's better than anyone in the secondary on our team last year, this year, and next year... I raise the board's offering of a 4th rounder... to a 3rd rounder with a two-year extension on his contract.  We NEED him...

Archived