Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Final Countdown: 176 Hours Of Patience

skins island connection

Its Monday morning, Labor Day [ BTW happy and safe Labor Day to everyone ].

Before I go on any further, to all the service men and women out there, thank you for your dedication and devotion in making this the best country in the world ! Hats off to you all.

176 hours..176. seems like eternity in a way, the anticipation of great things to come.  As I woke up this morning, it was nice to have the day off. My thoughts quickly turned to the upcoming season, and a slow chill ran down my back. After replaying last season over and over in my mind, I drifted back to the 80's, where teams trended up and down; they would get better and better each season, reach their peak, then slowly drift back down. This was also true of the Redskins, with an abundance of characters and nicknames to boot, such as the Smurfs, the fun bunch, th' Diesel, the Pearl Harbor crew, and others.

Fast forward to 2013. The patience has been put to the test for many a fan and players. I bet that every player, coach, and fan woke up this morning with an uneasy, nervous excitement, slowly growing inside the pit of their stomachs. there is an almost strange feeling in the air; don't believe me? go outside, take a deep breath, and as you do, picture in your mind sitting in the stands, or in front of you t.v., or at your favorite watering hole, and you can hear the old fashioned Monday night football theme song, ever so lightly, and then you will feel that same chill, that excitement building inside you.

Monday night will not get here quickly enough for me; fall is walking up the sidewalk, about to come knocking at your door, so be ready, be prepared, and keep your composure, if you can...

SIC

Am I the only one that is pissed this first game is on Monday night?  I wish it was Sunday, preferably 1:00 PM.  

I'd prefer Sunday Night Football. I've always hated cable/satellite exclusive shows, MNF is no exception.

They play each other. :)

You say that as if it means they can't both lose.

Man I spent most of last night watching old Redskins clips on YouTube -- Art Monk's HOF speech, America's Game 1991, Redskins-Cowboys highlights from week 17 last year, etc.

I just plugged in my old DirecTV reciever that I haven't used since January 2006 just to see what was on the DVR.  Lo and behold, I had DVR'ed the 35-7 beatdown over the Cowboys.

Yellow Canoe and I will be there in full-force. Be sure to stop us and say hello. I particularly like meeting other members of ES. I think this is going to be a breakout year for us. After reviewing every game last season (Game Rewind on NFL.com), I am confident we can be a 11, 12, 13 win team. I'm not suggesting that it's a lock that we are, but the culture is there. You have to hand it to Shanahan; he was right about getting the right personalities together. He is also incentivized to win another Superbowl with more than a fat paycheck: he would be the first head coach to ever win a Superbowl with two separate organizations. 

Let's do this!

Am I the only one that is pissed this first game is on Monday night?  I wish it was Sunday, preferably 1:00 PM.  

I always prefer Sunday @1PM...ALWAYS.

Me too. At least the kickoff is set for 7:00pm on Monday night. However, I always prefer the Sunday 1:00pm rather than the 4:00pm or Sunday or Monday night....or Thursday night. 

Yeah I kind of prefer our opening game to be on Sunday, regardless of kickoff time.  There is just something so festive and "ahhhh finally, it's here" about opening Sunday.

I almost don't even like the fact that there is a Thursday kickoff either, but I have accepted it.

Can't wait for Thursday but it's really just a teaser. Friday and Saturday will be agonizing. There is enough going on Sunday, especially with the Giants and Cowboys (my favorite non-redskins matchup in the nfl) as the night game, that I will be properly distracted.

Then I will spend Monday checking the clock every 20 seconds...

Archived