Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp news/tweets

Hitman21ST

It's time to move Bowen to DE now.  Does anyone agree?

You mean Cofield? :)

Bowen is a DE.

Does Jarvis Jenkins have an opportunity to appeal since it is a 1st offense?

They (the NFL) normally wouldn't announce the suspensions (unless leaked by team/agent/player) until after the appeal has gone through, Mikey.

Joe Gibbs picked players that wanted to act right, look right and have the fear of God. Today parents do not expect children to be home at a decent hour or care what goes in or on their body. Miss you Joe.

yeah...whats that, our 4th or 5th player in the past 3 years to be suspended 4 games? SMH.

C'mon....the Hogs were no choir boys. The problem today is that there is a pill for everything and we as consumers don't exactly know what's in the pills.

Every player pulls that I didn't know it was banned ****.

In the NFL, you have to be 100% sure especially with all the suspensions being handed out

It's not complicated - don't take anything which has not been cleared by the teams medical team. If you do, your an idiot or a cheat.

Alfred Morris press conference is starting now...

let me guess ... did it go something like this, humble remark, unselfish comment, team first sentiment, something about no let down or resting on laurels, another humble remark, etc. etc. yawn ... ;)

I'm all for humble players and team guys, but the dude can give it a break when he starts saying things like "I want to forget about last year" and "I'm going to tell myself I haven't made it yet"

Ugh that's just dumb

How would you feel if he came out and said "I proved myself last year, I think I can relax now and just milk it" .....or words to that effect? 

He was great last year and that earns him the first snaps in camp and almost certainly the first start in the regular season. Beyond that as a professional football player, especially a 6th round pick who the team don't have a lot invested in, you have to earn everything you get from there. If Morris starts fumbling, missing cutbacks or dancing in the hole how long do you think it would be before he was riding the pine?

Its a very short distance from the field to the bench to the street.

Cmon, I wasn't saying that. I would hate to hear one of our players say something like that. We've seen that plenty. I'm not asking for Morris to "keep it real" as an NFL standout. I'm just saying the way he comes off to me, it just seems kind of over the top. Maybe it's the off season. I love the blue collar nature of several of our players, but not all of them feel they have to keep talking about how vanilla they are, in every single interview.

At the end of the day, I much prefer Morris over a lot of the diva players in the NFL. I DO hope the attitude catches on. I hope he knows it's okay to be excited about making an impact, but duh of course it's not cool to cash out and mail it in

Most athletes hate being interviewed partly because the questions are so banal and repetitive and partly because its a no win situation. If they stick to the normal stock responses it's boring and if they say anything controversial or reveal anything team related they create a **** storm or get the coach down their ear. Keeping it boring is the safe way to go!

Frank Zapa once called rock journalism interviews with people who can't talk, by people who can't write for people who can't read. Sports journalism is similar!

Well just got a chance to look things over, ugh....

So Carriker, Robinson done.

R Jackson, Jenkins suspended 4 games.

Puts Bowen, baker at ends BC at NT, with Merling, Hamilton, Golsten neild and etc... Backups.

Did we look at someone or pick someone up, gotta re-check LB

Something I saw where merriweather possibly being told to chill don't know bout T Jackson

All this in two days. I sure hope this is everything cause I'm almost getting confused. Maybe I just want to see a better D especially to take the pressure off O

I joked about it in the signings thread, but in all serious....if we can make it fit, do we put feelers out to Richard Seymour? We need SOMETHING at 3-4 DE

I aqree I was expecting major improvement from Jenkins this year because he didn't exactly play all that great last year. I would bring Seymore in and see what he has left and what kind of money he is looking for,

Does Jarvis Jenkins have an opportunity to appeal since it is a 1st offense?

I'm not saying he would win the appeal or even that he isn't guilty, but if his story is true that whatever substance he tested hot for is not even listed on any banned list, I am not sure how he can be penalized for it.

I'm not saying he isn't just trying to weasel out of this, I would just like more info on the substance and if it is indeed on a banned list somewhere.

My initial reaction was that this made sense as he was coming off a season-ending injury, was kind of lack-luster for most of 2012, but started coming on towards the end, so maybe PEDs were used to help him recover faster.

UUUUUUUUUGH.  Of all positions.....

He appealled and lost as test was in March.

In the NFL, you have to be 100% sure especially with all the suspensions being handed out

It really is as simple as that. No sympathy for Jenkins. The players have been warned ad nauseum about seeking the NFL's approval before taking supps they are uncertain of.

It's not complicated - don't take anything which has not been cleared by the teams medical team. If you do, your an idiot or a cheat.

All this freaking out is beyond me . JJ did something stupid he is a kid he will learn .

You know this happened back before March when Jenkins was most likely in the middle of his own rehab . We don't know the full extent of what was used or not used but the same product from different manufacturers can have different ingredients in it  . As far as we know he might of been using something regularly, ran out went to his local store and asked for the same thing and given the same product but different manufacturer GNC . Figured it would be okay - same product and everything but was wrong .

What it looks like is the substance on the banned list that Jenkins took was most probably a masking agent - according to reports- and not a PED and masking agents can be amongst bulking or packaging agents  that would not be necessarily  listed on ingredients but vary from manufacturer to manufacturer . Hell bicarbonate (baking soda) is a common masking agent and probably on the NFLs banned list .  Often you cannot detect the drug but can detect metabolites or compounds used to increase the metabolism of a PED and because they are not normally present in the body MUST be treated the same as a PED .. it sucks for Jenkins but like I say - he will learn . 

What is good is he still can remain in the rotation in camp and build on developmental time he has lost last year and get confidence back in his knee ..and will be coming back fresh in week 5 and if he is any sort of a person at all will becoming back possessed with a lot to prove .

Moving on it is always the NMU - In this case I am intrigued to see what Brace, Merlin any of the other guys can do to step up , This happened early in camp and we should have someone serviceable there - the sky is not falling ..

Baking soda is not on the NFL's banned substance list.

The excuses in this thread get better and better.

Jenkins was dumb, he didn't trip into a jelly doughnut with a little baking soda and get a failed test.

I don't even believe it came from GNC.

But it definitely wasn't a household item.

Yes, it's a little funny that any time one of ours gets pinched we assume that it was some technicality or horrible luck. Yet, we have no issue yelling that the Seahawks employ cheaters in their defensive backfield. 

The rules are the rules and all of the players who get caught are in the same boat. Either they knowingly did something illegal and hoped for the best, they didn't take the time to research their supplements, or they trusted the wrong people...fair is fair. I have to imagine that there is a process in place where a player can cover all of his bases and take a supplement. But many of these guys are very young (early-20s) and I remember at that age not having the patience to follow things all the way through. I probably would have taken someone's advice over filling out paperwork, calling the league office, etc. also. 

Jenkins was under pressure to come back strong during his rehab.

I give him a pass this time.

He meant well in a competitive sense.

Silver lining here is that Chris Baker will get a chance to emerge ...

Don't think absence of Jenkins and Jackson during first quarter of season will register on Richter Scale.

Skins are loaded this year and will score 27-30 points a game ... so it won't matter any who.

For the excuse makers, here is the NFL's banned substance list.  I don't think I would screw up and accidentally take one of these.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/Banned%20Substance%20List.pdf

Where it gets tricky (and not in any way saying this happened to Jenkins but it has happened to people across all sports) is when you have a company that makes multiple products at the same facility and you have cross contamination.  Just because it is not on the ingredient list and the product tests clean in one batch does not mean that it will test clean 6 months later.  Supplements that are NFL approved get that designation because they agree not to use ANY of the banned ingredients at their facilities so that there is no risk of contamination.

For the excuse makers, here is the NFL's banned substance list.  I don't think I would screw up and accidentally take one of these.

Where it gets tricky (and not in any way saying this happened to Jenkins but it has happened to people across all sports) is when you have a company that makes multiple products at the same facility and you have cross contamination.  Just because it is not on the ingredient list and the product tests clean in one batch does not mean that it will test clean 6 months later.  Supplements that are NFL approved get that designation because they agree not to use ANY of the banned ingredients at their facilities so that there is no risk of contamination.

I don't disagree....however...

Jenkins said, the NFL tells us not to take a supplement without the approved logo on it.  He took a supplement without an approved logo.

Bada bing.  Not that difficult a concept.

Like I posted earlier, I don't even think it came from GNC.  I would bet a lot of players are taking stuff they shouldn't, and I would bet plenty know how to mask it and what works so the NFL testing can't catch it.

Jenkins wasn't so lucky.

Jenkins was dumb, he didn't trip into a jelly doughnut with a little baking soda and get a failed test.

GNC def sells products with banned substances. For example some pre-workout supplements contain stimulants that are banned.

GNC def sells products with banned substances. For example some pre-workout supplements contain stimulants that are banned.

More excuses.

http://www.gnclivewell.com/bsf/

I don't disagree....however...

Jenkins said, the NFL tells us not to take a supplement without the approved logo on it.  He took a supplement without an approved logo.

Bada bing.  Not that difficult a concept.

Like I posted earlier, I don't even think it came from GNC.  I would bet a lot of players are taking stuff they shouldn't, and I would bet plenty know how to mask it and what works so the NFL testing can't catch it.

Jenkins wasn't so lucky.

Fully agree.  This is all on Jenkins.  The NFL and teams front offices can scream until they are blue in the face to only take something that has the NFL designated approval but at the end of the day, what is the recourse for the team if the player goes off message?  Cut the guy?

More excuses.

http://www.gnclivewell.com/bsf/

I'm not making an excuse for Jenkins at all. I'm just saying that just because it's sold at GNC doesn't mean it's clean. So if his story is true he should know better.

@MikeJonesWaPo: David Amerson is now working as second right corner behind Josh Wilson for this mornings walkthrough.

@TarikCSN: First team secondary in walkthrough: Hall (LCB), Wilson (RCB), Meriweather (SS), Rambo (FS). #RedskinsTalk

Archived