Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980 unveils new afternoon radio show, "The Drive with Cooley and Czabe"

CrypticVillain

I think the show has become a lot better as time goes on and Cooley seems to have decent takes and questions on basketball and baseball.  I like the fact that he corrects Czaban and Czaban hates it, especially when Cooley pulls the "I actually played the game card."  Czaban used to walk all over Pollin and Galdi (both of whom I also like).  Czaban actually seemed mad yesterday (21 October) about Cooley defending RG3 not sliding, but I think he doesn't really understand what motivates players the way that someone who actually played the game at the highest level understands it.

Cooley is terrific. He's gotten his feet wet, and he really brings a great perspective.  And he's not a blind homer.  He's super critical when it warrants.  He's been on the ST from day 1, and has questioned the scheme, the coaching, and the playing.  He's also said that if he were returning kicks, it would be a simple decision for him, he'd fair catch everything, because, "nobody is blocking anybody."

He also brought up the possibility that Robert told Shanahan that he was done running the ball.  Which freaked Czabe out.  

I like that he can get under Czabe's skin.  He can give as good as he gets.  Yesterday, he was giving Czabe hell for his view that Robert has to stay healthy for 12 years to make the trading of the picks worth it. (Btw, he was very specific when he said, "Trading 2 first round picks. :) ) Cooley responded, "you need to win 1 SB, and it's worth it.  You trade 2 #1's for a SB."

The back and forth was pretty good.  

Really like Cooley.  It looks like they are grooming him to become the face of the franchise from a media perspective, like Sonny has been for 30 years.  They've already got him a radio show, and they've got him in the booth.  

Meh, it's no Lavar and Dukes

Dumb and the dumbest, most disappointing player to ever play of the Redskins?

You've got to be kidding. Lavar didn't even know the record at the end of the season, and the two of them couldn't find a coherent thought if they were placed in the middle of the library. 

I like that he can get under Czabe's skin.  He can give as good as he gets.  Yesterday, he was giving Czabe hell for his view that Robert has to stay healthy for 12 years to make the trading of the picks worth it. (Btw, he was very specific when he said, "Trading 2 first round picks. :) ) Cooley responded, "you need to win 1 SB, and it's worth it.  You trade 2 #1's for a SB."

Yesterday was fantastic radio and these two are a perfect yin and yang even though they may not realize it.  And I love that they both go right for each other's throats.  And I'm normally in total agreement with Czabe regarding this team, but I definitely trade two firsts for a Super Bowl.  If Robert wins me a Super Bowl, he's always welcome in my house.

But man... I almost forgot Galdi was even on the show yesterday during that segment :lol: .  It was epic.

Mentioned this in the Jordan Reed thread but Cooley also had some interesting comments about him yesterday ---

Cooley said he 'isn't sure yet about the level of Jordan's toughness' and 'whether it's even average'  

Also remarked that 'he missed an entire game with a bruise'

Cooley has said great things about Reed and his playmaking ability but to see him already questioning how tough Jordan is and his ability to play through injury is hopefully not a bad sign...

Yesterday was fantastic radio and these two are a perfect yin and yang even though they may not realize it.  And I love that they both go right for each other's throats.  And I'm normally in total agreement with Czabe regarding this team, but I definitely trade two firsts for a Super Bowl.  If Robert wins me a Super Bowl, he's always welcome in my house.

But man... I almost forgot Galdi was even on the show yesterday during that segment :lol: .  It was epic.

Agreed and I think Galdi should be commended for that. He realizes his place and that Czabe and Cooley have something special going on.

Mentioned this in the Jordan Reed thread but Cooley also had some interesting comments about him yesterday ---

Cooley said he 'isn't sure yet about the level of Jordan's toughness' and 'whether it's even average'  

Also remarked that 'he missed an entire game with a bruise'

Cooley has said great things about Reed and his playmaking ability but to see him already questioning how tough Jordan is and his ability to play through injury is hopefully not a bad sign...

Cooley and Davis are boys.  I think you have to understand that first and foremost.  But I agree on the bruise... sack up.

Agreed and I think Galdi should be commended for that. He realizes his place and that Czabe and Cooley have something special going on.

I think Czabe is odd man out ... while he's still good, not sure he mixes well with Galdi and Chris. 

It's just weird to hear him talk now about football stuff with a guy right next to him who has lived it.  Czabe comments just sound so damn hollow now, much more so with Chris by his side. 

He also does the "dumb jock" shtick too much. Chris is not that guy. 

I almost think Andy would be a better partner because he knows his place. 

Yesterday was fantastic radio and these two are a perfect yin and yang even though they may not realize it. And I love that they both go right for each other's throats. And I'm normally in total agreement with Czabe regarding this team, but I definitely trade two firsts for a Super Bowl. If Robert wins me a Super Bowl, he's always welcome in my house.

But man... I almost forgot Galdi was even on the show yesterday during that segment :lol: . It was epic.

Yeah, it was great radio. I thought a blow was going to be thrown, and then Cooley was going to have to retaliate and kick Czabes ass.

Yeah, it was great radio. I thought a blow was going to be thrown, and then Cooley was going to have to retaliate and kick Czabes ass.

I think Czabe is used to pushing Andy around and the guys on his morning show because he's the main host.  Cooley's already a millionaire and in the booth during games so I think he's a little less intimidated than the other radio guys who aren't.

I like Cooley, Czabe and Al. Just not together in this format. If anything, I would have kept Andy/Steve together for Drive and put Al/Cooley in the slot that Doc/Mitchell are wasting. That show is awful.

and speaking of awful....had to listen to the final 10 min of sunday in the car. At one point Sonny, Larry, Cooley and Doc were all trying to talk at the same time. What a cluster****. Love ya, Sonny. But its time. Larry, you've always been awful. Doc....no more nicknames. You're played out. Cooley...you're funny...but don't belong on the game broadcast.

I think Czabe is used to pushing Andy around and the guys on his morning show because he's the main host.  Cooley's already a millionaire and in the booth during games so I think he's a little less intimidated than the other radio guys who aren't.

He also knows what he's talking about and is nobody's fool.  

I mostly listen to Kevin and Thom from 12p to 2pm.  I am extremely surprised that Chris Cooley has a very intelligent perspective and blends in his football knowledge when trying to analyze a game.  Very impressive and entertaining.  I find myself listening to the show and laughing by myself in my car driving home from work.  for the past month, I have not have had any road rage but actually love the traffic ride home.  It is my new favorite show.  I just wish it is on podcast. 

He also knows what he's talking about and is nobody's fool.  

Yep, I think Czabe needs to come to terms with this ... I mean, honestly, he is not too much different than the average football fan that follows their team closely, he's just witty. 

Cooley is such a wealth of knowledge and experience. 

I don't live there anymore so I don't hear the show. But Czabe is the classic talk radio bully. He didn't yell at people but he would just steamroll them with the force of his personality. And he was paired with someone who made a name for himself as Tony Kornheiser's whipping boy. The dynamic worked for the most part, but I can see why suddenly having a younger, cooler ex-jock next to him would be a fun dynamic with Czaban. For the last decade or so, Czabe was what passed for hip on the AM dial. Forcing him to become the out of touch old man could certainly be fun if Cooley can hold up his end of the bargain.

I don't live there anymore so I don't hear the show. But Czabe is the classic talk radio bully. He didn't yell at people but he would just steamroll them with the force of his personality. And he was paired with someone who made a name for himself as Tony Kornheiser's whipping boy. The dynamic worked for the most part, but I can see why suddenly having a younger, cooler ex-jock next to him would be a fun dynamic with Czaban. For the last decade or so, Czabe was what passed for hip on the AM dial. Forcing him to become the out of touch old man could certainly be fun if Cooley can hold up his end of the bargain.

Got a smart phone? Then download an app called tunein and you can listen to the ESPN980 for the Drive, games or whatever over the internet. I love Cooley and the insights he brings. And you are right Czabe is the classic talk radio bully....but Cooley doesn't take it and puts him in his place by discrediting Czabe's superficial analysis and selective memory. Actually, I've grown to like Czabe some. Cooley and Galdi have made Czabe more tolerable by eliminating some of his more outlandish accusations and flat out wrong viewpoints. Czabe is still entertaining without so much of his old BS. The dynamics between the three of them is working most of the time. But I do find myself turning off the show when Cooley is not on.

Got a smart phone? Then download an app called tunein and you can listen to the ESPN980 for the Drive, games or whatever over the internet. I love Cooley and the insights he brings. And you are right Czabe is the classic talk radio bully....but Cooley doesn't take it and puts him in his place by discrediting Czabe's superficial analysis and selective memory. Actually, I've grown to like Czabe some. Cooley and Galdi have made Czabe more tolerable by eliminating some of his more outlandish accusations and flat out wrong viewpoints. Czabe is still entertaining without so much of his old BS. The dynamics between the three of them is working most of the time. But I do find myself turning off the show when Cooley is not on.

I've listened to his national show through Stitcher sometimes. I'll have to look at Tune-in. I think I downloaded it and then never used it. I tend to play podcasts or Pandora in my car though. I'd rather listen to 45 minutes of mostly uninterrupted talk than the constant stopping and starting that comes with talk radio.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this because I've really grown to become impressed with Cooley on 980.  Had a good chance to listen to him today and he broke down both the offense and defense (great chalk talk) for a while on air.  You'd NEVER get that with Lavar.  He gets the game and actually treats callers with respect. 

Archived