Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980 unveils new afternoon radio show, "The Drive with Cooley and Czabe"

CrypticVillain

I've given it a couple weeks before saying much about the show, but I'm extremely impressed.

I've always kind of liked Czaban even though he's a bit of a clown and intentionally stirs things up at times. Overall, I think he loves the Redskins and usually is pretty level-headed.

Galdi is great and runs the show well.

I'm blown away by Cooley. I didn't expect him to be so well-spoken and make sure clear, articulate points. I guess my only perception of him was as a nutbag, quirky football player. He's fantastic on the show and not just with Xs and Os (which is expected). He sees big-picture things that you don't always get from ex-players.

Great, great program.

I hear Pollin is returning with a morning "Sports Reporters" at 6-9 am on Tuesdays thru Fridays on 570 AM (he'll do the MMQB show with Sheehan on Monday mornings). Interesting that Pollin's show means only the 9-10 am portion of Czaban's national show will be heard on 570.

I think they clearly underestimated Andy's appeal in the market.   He went from nothing to 2 shows in the span of a couple weeks.   

I think they clearly underestimated Andy's appeal in the market.   He went from nothing to 2 shows in the span of a couple weeks.   

I've listened to him on my drive to work over the Sports Junkies... because Polin actually talks about local sports.  Once the market catches on the Junkies are in trouble (outside of their loyal listeners)... I've been fairly loyal but most of what they do these days just doesn't cut it for me.

Polin does attract and interesting breed of caller, though.  I call them "Stat geek guys" lol.  Pretty informative stuff.

This show is terrible...absolutely cringeworthy.    The only good thing going for Cooley is his insight as a recent former player but that won't last long.   There is no chemistry between the Cooley, Czabe, and Galdi.  Czabe seems awkardely out of place, probably told to defer to Cooley. 

Too bad, Sports Reporters was much better and way more entertaining.  I have turned to 106.7 for the drive home.

Still love the Sports Fix though.. 

I agree with you about the chemistry, it doesn't seem to be there.  It's really the Galdi and Cooley show, and "awkwardly out of place" is exactly how I would describe Czabe there.  

Cooley's great on the football stuff.  He's already the best at the station at breaking things down and providing insight, which is saying something considering his show is preceded by BMitch and Doc.  Their problem is they're coming at it from the viewpoint of guys that played 20 and 30 years ago, as opposed to the last couple like Cooley.  There's a freshness to his takes on things.

What remains to be seen is what Cooley brings to the table when football season's over and the show isn't 80% Redskins.  

I'm blown away by Cooley. I didn't expect him to be so well-spoken and make sure clear, articulate points. I guess my only perception of him was as a nutbag, quirky football player. He's fantastic on the show and not just with Xs and Os (which is expected). He sees big-picture things that you don't always get from ex-players.

Totally agree.  He was a bit timid that first show while feeling out his guys, but he's been nothing short of fantastic each time I turn on the radio.

And such a dude's dude.  Throws in a dip and has a beer and talks sports openly.  I love it.

I've listened to him on my drive to work over the Sports Junkies... because Polin actually talks about local sports.  Once the market catches on the Junkies are in trouble (outside of their loyal listeners)... I've been fairly loyal but most of what they do these days just doesn't cut it for me.

Polin does attract and interesting breed of caller, though.  I call them "Stat geek guys" lol.  Pretty informative stuff.

I like that morning show too. Pollin needs to be on the radio in some capacity. He's about as close as this town has to a Ken Beatrice and I love how he weaves in historical similarities/parallels when things happen. I love looking at sports that way too, so it hits home when he drops something like "This isn't unlike the XXXX season when Joe Gibbs had to deal with YYYY".

Beautiful.

Seriously this is the best radio show i have ever heard of in the DC market.  Cooley explains why certain schemes work and actually brings real football talk to the table right.

Change that to be SPORTS radio show (BO&D would be my top radio show) and I agree completely. Absolutely love it. Who knows what will happen once it's no longer football season, but by then Cooley will have had a lot of months to get comfortable talking on the radio.

On the flip side to Cooley and Czabe, Polin was everything I generally couldn't stand about the Sports Reporters and typically wouldn't listen when Czabe was on vacation. My three least favorite personalities on 980 go Thom, Kornheiser, and Polin. Polin is too much of a stereotypical old-media head aimed at always taking things in a twisted way if it will be able to generate controversy.

On the flip side to Cooley and Czabe, Polin was everything I generally couldn't stand about the Sports Reporters and typically wouldn't listen when Czabe was on vacation. My three least favorite personalities on 980 go Thom, Kornheiser, and Polin. Polin is too much of a stereotypical old-media head aimed at always taking things in a twisted way if it will be able to generate controversy.

I was in the same boat.  I find Czabe and I to have a pretty consistent personalities, lol.  And Pollin is the anti-Czabe/me where he whines a bit too much for me and Czabe was always there to tell him to buck up and drive on. lol.

But to TD's point, the guy knows his stuff and as far as relaying the news to his audience, historical prospective, and the guest list/respect from other members of the media he gets on his show is right up there with some of the better talking heads we've ever had in this area.

My own complaint is I normally can't pick up the signal for 570 until I get to Woodbridge (driving from Fredericksburg) so it's normally 6:15 or so before I can hear him.  He's in the perfect spot, anyone who wants to hear respectable local sports early in the AM will give him a listen over the junkies 5 days out of 5.

I was in the same boat.  I find Czabe and I to have a pretty consistent personalities, lol.  And Pollin is the anti-Czabe/me where he whines a bit too much for me and Czabe was always there to tell him to buck up and drive on. lol.

But to TD's point, the guy knows his stuff and as far as relaying the news to his audience, historical prospective, and the guest list/respect from other members of the media he gets on his show is right up there with some of the better talking heads we've ever had in this area.

My own complaint is I normally can't pick up the signal for 570 until I get to Woodbridge (driving from Fredericksburg) so it's normally 6:15 or so before I can hear him.  He's in the perfect spot, anyone who wants to hear respectable local sports early in the AM will give him a listen over the junkies 5 days out of 5.

Im in the same boat as I live in columbia, md but I figured out that you can pick it up on the tunein radio app if you have a smart phone.

I like that morning show too. Pollin needs to be on the radio in some capacity. He's about as close as this town has to a Ken Beatrice and I love how he weaves in historical similarities/parallels when things happen. I love looking at sports that way too, so it hits home when he drops something like "This isn't unlike the XXXX season when Joe Gibbs had to deal with YYYY".

Beautiful.

The only thing about Andy is he doesn't like being challenged on his historical facts.  

Change that to be SPORTS radio show (BO&D would be my top radio show) and I agree completely. Absolutely love it. Who knows what will happen once it's no longer football season, but by then Cooley will have had a lot of months to get comfortable talking on the radio.

I'd probably go Loverro, Scott Jackson, and Chris Russell.  Jackson's not offensive in any way other than he's exceedingly bland and doesn't add anything to whatever show he does.   And Russell has turned into a complete whiner.  The criticism of him on the internet is definitely getting to him.  

He's in the perfect spot, anyone who wants to hear respectable local sports early in the AM will give him a listen over the junkies 5 days out of 5.

I agree with you there. The only morning I don't listen to the Junkies as my main morning listen is typically the day after a Redskins game.

After that, I love having the Junkies in the morning because it's the only break up from the "sports talk" lineup that dominates my radio for the rest of the week. Holden and Danny from 10-12 and then 980 from 12:00 onward. Most of my listening happens at my desk at work and on the commute either way, so for me having some NON-sports talk mixed in is nice.

But I absolutely could see how those that just get their radio time in the morning and on the drive home may be more desiring of having local sports talk in the AM.

The only thing about Andy is he doesn't like being challenged on his historical facts.  

The thing is, Andy has a very good memory.  He is usually, thought not always, right when he is challenged.   

I agree with you about the chemistry, it doesn't seem to be there.  It's really the Galdi and Cooley show, and "awkwardly out of place" is exactly how I would describe Czabe there.  

Cooley's great on the football stuff.  He's already the best at the station at breaking things down and providing insight, which is saying something considering his show is preceded by BMitch and Doc.  Their problem is they're coming at it from the viewpoint of guys that played 20 and 30 years ago, as opposed to the last couple like Cooley.  There's a freshness to his takes on things.

What remains to be seen is what Cooley brings to the table when football season's over and the show isn't 80% Redskins.  

I agree that  Cooley brings some good football insight but he is trying way to hard to be entertaining but it usually comes across as juvenile.   The chemistry is just not there, as shown by the way they talk over each other or, awkward pauses.  

And you are 100% correct - after the football season is over, Cooley will be even more out of his element.  Andy was very knowledgeable about DC sports over generations.  I fear we will have to listen to fart jokes from Cooley.   

The thing is, Andy has a very good memory.  He is usually, thought not always, right when he is challenged.   

I agree that  Cooley brings some good football insight but he is trying way to hard to be entertaining but it usually comes across as juvenile.   The chemistry is just not there, as shown by the way they talk over each other or, awkward pauses.  

And you are 100% correct - after the football season is over, Cooley will be even more out of his element.  Andy was very knowledgeable about DC sports over generations.  I fear we will have to listen to fart jokes from Cooley.   

Couldn't disagree with you more on all points. I hear 3 guys having fun, and being informative and entertaining. I think they all have great chemistry, and from what I've heard already, after football season I think Cooley will be able to talk about any of the sports they are covering.

Cooley has gotten a lot better already and honestly the last few days have been great radio.

Cooley has gotten a lot better already and honestly the last few days have been great radio.

I agree man ... I really think the show is coming into its own. Zabe is finding his role and Cooley is just being himself.  

I'm really starting to like it. 

Add in Gary Williams, holy, he's AWESOME. I think he could have his own show. 

Czabe got bleeped the other day, it was great, because the show just kept rolling, it wasn't a big deal. 

I'm a little late to this conversation.  I love listening to Cooley.  Very well spoken, humorous, he seems to be getting more and more up to speed.  

My favorite moment was a little over a week ago, I first started listening to LaVar & Dukes because they were going to interview Fred Davis.  Well, LaVar started dragging the interview into the dung heap right away, questioning why Davis was losing playing time and comparing it to how he (LaVar) was phased out of the game planning here in DC before we got rid of him.  He was totally driving his anti-management, anti-coaching, anti-Snyder agenda, and I simply couldn't take more than the 1st two or 3 questions before I'd heard enough and switched to 980.

Well, on 980, lo & behold they were talking about the EXACT SAME TOPIC!  Cooley laid it out very clearly why Davis wasn't getting more reps.  Performance in practice and performance during the game!  Cooley pointed out that Davis lost playing time after making a key drop during the game.  Davis simply wasn't put back out on the field, meanwhile the youngster Jordan Reed is out there making plays.  Cooley said there was no mystery, no hidden agenda, its a performance-based decision, plain & simple.  Fred isn't performing to the staffs expectations, Jordan Reed is.

Sure, Davis probably has lingering issues from his injury.  Much like RGIII, he may be 100% *healthy*, but that's not the same as 100% ready to play.  The difference is that our backup QB's still aren't as good as a limited RGIII, but unfortunately for Davis, we have Jordan Reed ready to step up.

OOps, got a little bit off on a tangent re: Fred Davis in that last paragraph...  That last paragraph is just my own interpretation of what Cooley was getting at, not what Cooley actually said.

The thing I love about Cooley is that, unlike LaVar, he actually will drop nuggets that make all the sports radio instigating, drama seeking morons look like uninformed buffoons.

Case in point: A few days ago, Czabe asserts that the 'Skins brass are behind a conspiracy claiming that Fred Davis was not hurt during the week, but then had some "mystery" injury right before the weekend. Cooley, very quickly, corrected him and said, "No. I spoke with Fred about it and he confirmed it, and I saw his ridiculously swollen ankle." Oh yeah, Cooley also SAW IT ON FILM(!) himself.

Yeah, Czabe shut the hell up after that.   

I was never a fan of Andy Pollin.  No worries to me if he doesn't come back.  

Czabe has been acting like he wants to get fired since they dropped Pollin though.  He's become an even bigger opinionated jerk on air, and constantly interrupts both Ghaldi and Cooley.  Its ridiculous when he argues with Cooley about football at times.  

Ghaldi is the man.  I wouldn't mind seeing Czabe go bye bye at this point though.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the show has become a lot better as time goes on and Cooley seems to have decent takes and questions on basketball and baseball.  I like the fact that he corrects Czaban and Czaban hates it, especially when Cooley pulls the "I actually played the game card."  Czaban used to walk all over Pollin and Galdi (both of whom I also like).  Czaban actually seemed mad yesterday (21 October) about Cooley defending RG3 not sliding, but I think he doesn't really understand what motivates players the way that someone who actually played the game at the highest level understands it.

Archived