Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980 unveils new afternoon radio show, "The Drive with Cooley and Czabe"

CrypticVillain

Galdi is great... Czabe grew on me over time...I give his negative moments a pass for some reason. Big fan of Cooley as a player...thought he represented well in an interview...but the Czabe, Galdi, Cooley ride/show...just didn't work for me today.  Cooley just doesn't fit for some reason.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the show today.  But I am going to try and catch it tomorrow.

My guess is that it's going to take some time for them to really get in the swing of things.  Cooley's never done this before full time, so he's going to have to figure out exactly how it all works.  

These types of shows rely on chemistry.  I don't think that Thom could really survive in radio without Kevin.  They really do have a pretty good ying/yang thing going on, which makes the show interesting.  Cooley and Czabe are going to have to develop that same chemistry, which will take a little time.  

Love him or hate him Czabe is a pro. Like many have said, it'll take a bit to get the chemistry up to speed.

Czaban could be doing more to carry Cooley, but that is definitely not within his personality. Plus, it's gonna take the right amount of every man for himself for Czabe and Cooley to be good together.

ALSO, can't wait to see how Cooley reacts to Czaban's sneering appraisals of Shanahan and Snyder.

I only listened to the first hour, but I felt like Czaban was intentionally taking a backseat to get Cooley in the flow.  It was dominated by Galdi and Cooley in the time I was listening.  But I figure they've got to change up the dynamic, otherwise it'll just be a repeat of Czabe's morning show if he's dominating it. 

Cooley's interview skills are suspect, but that's to be expected, I'll cut him some slack.  But his stories about being cut were pretty good.  He's honest and self deprecating and it works, so he should definitely be on radio or TV, I just don't think it should've been at the expense of the Sports Reporters.  My thought was they should've put Cooley on with BMitch and Doc and have an all ex-Redskins show, and still kept the Sports Reporters.  The Lockerroom doesn't need Scott Jackson.  It seems the station got Cooley and created something for him to do.  

Galdi will eventually make everyone forget Andy Pollin imo.

He's a younger, more capable and reliable version of Andy.

He seemed to know when to step in and stabilize the show/timing yesterday, and I expect that will only get better with time.  He also knows what he's talking about and backs up his statements with legitimate statistics.

Galdi is, IMO, one of the better sports talk radio broadcasters in the DC area. Him and Czabe could potentially be great and refreshing. Hearing Andy & Czabe over the years has started to feel like listening to a couple of old curmudgeons scoffing and sarcastically analyzing sports. If Cooley lets Czabe and Galdi dominate the show while he sprinkles in a comment here and there, I think the show can be pretty good.

I actually really enjoyed the debut show yesterday, from the bits and pieces I heard. It'll take time for them to really get the chemistry going but I could see it: Cooley as the goofball ex-player, Czabe as the cynical ass, and Galdi as the stabilizing force.

I enjoyed the show yesterday.  It will only get better with time and I think Cooley will provide great insight since he's obviously "been there and done that."  Plus he doesn't seem to have too much of a filter and he won't be totally PC. 

I don't get how anybody can find Lavar and Dukes enjoyable to listen to.  They make my ears bleed.  Lavar can never say a complete thought or a well structured sentence. Plus he says "that's interesting" 72 times per show with zero insight.  Chad is too busy wanting to berate people that don't agree with him or people that prefer to dip their wings in ranch dressing. 

I like espn 980 better that WJFK 106.7.  I listened to the Sports Junkies for the first time last week I have tried listening to them a few times since then. I found they talk very little about sports. They talk about themselves and not sports. I could care less about there personal life. They should change the name to the narcissistic Junkies. When I tune in and they dont talk sports within 10  mins I turn the channel. I know to only listen to them at 7am as that is the Redskin report and someone actually talks sports. I am looking for a local program instead of Mike and Mike. I do like Mike and Mike but its Redskins time and want to hear what happened at traning camp

I like espn 980 better that WJFK 106.7.  I listened to the Sports Junkies for the first time last week I have tried listening to them a few times since then. I found they talk very little about sports. They talk about themselves and not sports. I could care less about there personal life. They should change the name to the narcissistic Junkies. When I tune in and they dont talk sports within 10  mins I turn the channel. I know to only listen to them at 7am as that is the Redskin report and someone actually talks sports. I am looking for a local program instead of Mike and Mike. I do like Mike and Mike but its Redskins time and want to hear what happened at traning camp

I don't know where you live, but if you can get AM-570, I recommend tuning into that for Czaban's national morning show.  It's way better than the junks or Mike & the Yankees & Mike & the Yankees.& the Yankees.

JFK is kicking WTEM's butt in the ratings. I smell even more changes coming to that station. 980 gets off to a bad start by airing that garbage Mike and Mike show, there is NO EXCUSE for a major market to be airing a boring national show at that time.

JFK is kicking WTEM's butt in the ratings. I smell even more changes coming to that station. 980 gets off to a bad start by airing that garbage Mike and Mike show, there is NO EXCUSE for a major market to be airing a boring national show at that time.

Statement from Chuck Sapienza, Program Director for ESPN980, during a Facebook Q&A session, when asked If 980 will get a local show for the morning drive...

"Right now Mike and Mike are doing just fine for us. I know not every show is for everyone but they do certain things extremely well. One of them is their coverage of the NFL. They get the best guests and cover the top story lines better than anyone. There is no plans to remove M&M at this time."

The one thing he got right is their NFL coverage. I think that is where Mike & Mike excels at. The rest of the time they are very hit or miss....

Statement from Chuck Sapienza, Program Director for ESPN980, during a Facebook Q&A session, when asked If 980 will get a local show for the morning drive...

"Right now Mike and Mike are doing just fine for us. I know not every show is for everyone but they do certain things extremely well. One of them is their coverage of the NFL. They get the best guests and cover the top story lines better than anyone. There is no plans to remove M&M at this time."

The one thing he got right is their NFL coverage. I think that is where Mike & Mike excels at. The rest of the time they are very hit or miss....

They're doing fine yet they're 20 something in the ratings? It seems to me like they are cheaping out and don't want to pay for local hosts for morning drive.

They're doing fine yet they're 20 something in the ratings? It seems to me like they are cheaping out and don't want to pay for local hosts for morning drive.

ESPN corporate forces M&M on 980.  They have no choice in the matter. This was discussed on air by Czabe when Red Zebra bought the station and it was revealed his show wouldnt be aired locally. 

Kicking their butt apparently means tied for 19th at the end of June:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb015

Also, another way to look at it is:

WJFK 19th ranked FM station.

WTEM #1 ranked AM station.

The new show seems like it will work.  I will miss sports reporters but there are exciting elements of this new show.  Cooley seems to have a lot of great stories and inside/behind the scenes info on the redskins.  And Galdi is awesome. Really happy for him.  And he is a bonafide ORIOLES homer baby!  WE GOT A SEAT!!!

Oh, and I cannot listen to Lavar and Dukes for 5 minutes without feeling like I've become a dumber person.  Some of the other peripheral shows on 106.7 are not bad though.

Kicking their butt apparently means tied for 19th at the end of June:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb015

Also, another way to look at it is:

WJFK 19th ranked FM station.

WTEM #1 ranked AM station.

17) WJFK [Junks 15th]

22) WTEM

http://www.dcrtv.com/

I just don't think it should've been at the expense of the Sports Reporters.  My thought was they should've put Cooley on with BMitch and Doc and have an all ex-Redskins show, and still kept the Sports Reporters.  The Lockerroom doesn't need Scott Jackson.  It seems thestation got Cooley and created something for him to do.

I agree 100%. The sholw and Cooley need time to develop. I liked the Sports Reporters. I guess they made the move for ratings

I Like Doc and Bmitch best. I would like to see it simucasted on MASN like the Riggins show was

I think even over the first several days, the chemistry between Cooley and czabe is growing.

I really like what Cooley brings to the show too. He has great relationships with the team, can get some good interviews, and goes on the occasional rant. And isn't afraid to lock horns with Czabe.

So far, I like the move.

To be fair, the Junkies likely are still successful BECAUSE they don't talk sports a ton. They're about the only "non-sports, non-political" talk on the radio local anymore. Even though they switched back to the "Sports Junkies" they've maintained the same general show they had on WJFK...and for us that actually miss that format and that station rather than having "Generic local sports talk A and generic local sports talk B" as our only options, they're enjoyable.

To be fair, the Junkies likely are still successful BECAUSE they don't talk sports a ton. They're about the only "non-sports, non-political" talk on the radio local anymore. Even though they switched back to the "Sports Junkies" they've maintained the same general show they had on WJFK...and for us that actually miss that format and that station rather than having "Generic local sports talk A and generic local sports talk B" as our only options, they're enjoyable.

I think this is also why Booker and Carton are so successful in NY. While they can talk about sports when they really have to they don't really stick to the book and bore the listeners to death. It's a formula that works.

Archived